By EctoMini
Hey everybody,

Just joined up from sunny England as I'm putting together my own spin on the Ectomobile, and I figured here would be a good place to get some feedback.

So here's my roofrack, being tried for size over the weekend:

For now it's mostly being cobbled together out of whatever I can find lying around in my garage, so it's missing things like the radome, antenna and sniffer (you know, the things that make it look like an Ecto!) - hopefully I'll get those added before long.

Obviously it's still a work in progress, so if anyone has ideas how I could make it look less like I'm on taking dead electronics to the tip, I'm listening!
Last edited by EctoMini on June 7th, 2016, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ECTO_V2_TAHOE liked this
By EctoMini
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Looking forward to this. This going to be a daily runner?
No, it's for my weekend/show car. If all goes to plan, first outing in full(ish) Ecto mode will be to a big transport show on Father's Day...
By EctoMini
There's a pretty decent summary here: http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/

As far as I've been able to establish, blue lights must be covered, other colours are ok if disconnected. Mine are green (which I've never seen in real life, so a bit different) and disconnected so I should be good to go. I might see if I can power them up for show use at some stage though :)
By venkman30
Looks great. I'm a custom ecto owner myself and I bet that in time you will do future upgrades to it. I know I have. So get out there, show it off , be proud and have fun. The joy and excitement you see from people's reaction out in public is well worth it. These ectos seem to bring out so much joy in people of all ages and the feeling and realization of what you put together brings a smile to so many faces is just awesome. Great work again and welcome to the custom ecto owners club.
EctoMini liked this
By EctoMini
Here's a couple of better shots from our first day out in full Ecto mode! You're right, the EctoMini certainly got plenty of smiles, and a few nice compliments which made the last few days of hurriedly cobbling it all together worth it!

A lot of classic car people can be a bit serious about their motors, but then you get the 80s kid (you know, the one in the 'My other car does 88mph' t-shirt who's looking for the A-Team van) who almost explodes at the sight of the thing, and the little boy who's just made the Lego version who lets himself into the driving seat... Luckily I'm not precious about my Mini!

My budget is spent for now, so the next round of improvements will be to make the rack easier to assemble, and knock up a few labels to add some more detail.
By gamera1968
Looks great to me. I'm looking for an older model station wagon, here Stateside myself as I'd love to give it a go, too. :)
EctoMini liked this
By EctoMini
scruffyhightops wrote:This is awesome. I am part of the Southcoast Ghostbusters and we have Woody-1. He's a Morris Traveller 1000 series from '68.
Right back at ya! Would be great if we could get the two together some time!
By EctoMini
Boomerjinks wrote:This thing is amazing. What do we gotta do to see video of it whipping around a corner??
Among other things, speed the footage up!
By EctoMini
Thanks for the kind words guys - although none of them will quite match up to the kid who saw it at a car show last weekend and asked if it was actually used in the movie! Had to tell him it was a bit too small to contain any actual ghosts :)
By EctoMini
fearless-freak wrote:question, is that the vintage car rally held at thornes park, wakefield?
No, why - has someone else got one like this? :shock:

But no, I'm based in the Midlands, the pictures were taken at Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent - not sure the EctoMini is ready to go much further afield at the moment!
By EctoMini
Haha that's good, I've been on the Mini scene for about 25 years and never seen an Ecto... it would be kind of annoying to find someone else had the idea at the same time I did! :)

On a related note, the roofrack (which I had made specially based on the original Ecto-1) has attracted a lot of interest from other Mini estate drivers - there could soon be dozens of Minis driving around the UK with Ecto-style racks! I wonder if any of them will know...
By dalbyspook
Looks great! I had the chance to buy an old-style black cab a few years back in great condition for virtually nothing. I thought it'd make a great UK Ecto, loads of character. Kicking myself I didn't now!
EctoMini liked this
By EctoMini
Just added a few extra decals on the rear doors to balance it out a little! 'We believe you' came out a little more stretched than I'd expected, but I think it looks ok in situ.

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]