Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
But by that logic shouldn't we be going by the "Top Critics" rating, rather than the open rating?
If you do, then you'll have to take into account the New York Times' extremely unflattering reviews of GB84 over the years. It's obvious they felt Murray and Aykroyd were great actors, but that GB was a bit beneath them. But there were other critics who were more than happy to go along with the ride, even if they weren't as "Top" as the Times.

The point is, different critics have different points of view, and you have to take them all into account and just weigh them accordingly.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 31st, 2016, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
MightyAni liked this
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote:Bottom line, both audience and critics liked the movie.
Not enough to save it at the box office.
SpaceBallz liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
Hmm normally I wait a few years before getting the DVD/ Blue Ray as they inevitably release a second DVD/Blue Ray with more stuff but this seems to have a lot of extra stuff already.
By deadderek
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Hmm normally I wait a few years before getting the DVD/ Blue Ray as they inevitably release a second DVD/Blue Ray with more stuff but this seems to have a lot of extra stuff already.
I can understand your concern as Sony had double and triple dipped us on previous Ghostbusters Blu-ray releases.
By Alphagaia
deadderek wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Bottom line, both audience and critics liked the movie.
Not enough to save it at the box office.
Yeah, word of mouth did not help the B.O. after all the (uncalled for imo) drama.
Still, people might discover it on a later date, and the non fanboy people who did see it have a good chance of getting added to the fanbase and discover the wonders that is GB1, and if they are like me, like GB2 just as much as GB:ATC.
There is still a lot of potential (franchise)money in the air for movies like this, especially because the audience mostly enjoyed watching it.
JurorNo.2, MightyAni liked this
By SpaceBallz
"They'll discover down the road that people who are not fans of Ghostbusters did enjoy this movie a lot."

I'll have to agree with you there, Alphagaia.
pferreira1983 liked this
By MightyAni
featofstrength wrote:So I'm not the only one that thinks Kristen looks exceptionally hot in all the promo images?
ALL of the GB2016 "black" promo posters are dead sexy, in my opinion. Especially Kristen's and Kate's. (Ohhhh, Kate.)
Leslie's is badass and fearless, and Melissa's just looks like she's determined to blaze a trail of destruction over any ghosts that dare get in front of her proton stream. Really, really wonderful work. I wish I had that kind of artistic talent.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By EJLambert
Most cover art these days are pretty bad imo. I want Drew Struzan to come out of retirement.
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote:"They'll discover down the road that people who are not fans of Ghostbusters did enjoy this movie a lot."

I'll have to agree with you there, Alphagaia.
I think I finally understand why the haters insist that Feig called all of us assholes, instead of only a loud minority.

You guys either warp or fail to comprehend meaning. ;-)
By featofstrength
savintheday wrote:Thank goodness for those stickers, or else people would have to actually form their own opinions.
Do you think some of the folks pushing the Tomato thing now might be some of the same that told us to disregard trailers/early reviews and form our own opinions in the beginning?
Last edited by featofstrength on September 1st, 2016, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
We're only "pushing the Tomato thing" because it's so ludicrous to think its presence on a DVD is some kind of big Sony conspiracy.
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:We're only "pushing the Tomato thing" because it's so ludicrous to think its presence on a DVD is some kind of big Sony conspiracy.
Movie isn't out yet: "Don't let bad trailers and early reviews help you decide if you want to see the movie or not."

Movie is out: "If you haven't seen it yet, look...73% of all reviews! Fresh!! FREEEEEEEEEEEEESH!"

If you still see red, it's still "Fresh!"
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
I only told people to keep trailers in perspective. Period.

And again, if people were going "FRESH!" it's only because so many people were going "IT'S GOTTA SUCK YMAO!" for months on end.
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: I think I finally understand why the haters insist that Feig called all of us assholes, instead of only a loud minority.

Hey pal, don't blame us for the movie tranking. Blame Feig and his cast members for openly and publicly arguing with internet trolls like a group of people at a bar that had one too many tequila shots yelling across the club at their exes for over a year every week.
By JurorNo.2
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: I think I finally understand why the haters insist that Feig called all of us assholes, instead of only a loud minority.

Hey pal, don't blame us for the movie tranking. Blame Feig and his cast members for openly and publicly arguing with internet trolls like a group of people at a bar that had one too many tequila shots yelling across the club at their exes for over a year every week.
Um, no. The general public doesn't mind trolls being taken to task online. People are tired of the Internet becoming next to useless.

The trailer didn't generate hype. And that has zero to do with the quality of the movie. But apparently the movie's BO wasn't that different from Feig's over comedies. That's who went to see the movie. They count too, not just fanboys.
MightyAni liked this
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:I only told people to keep trailers in perspective. Period.

And again, if people were going "FRESH!" it's only because so many people were going "IT'S GOTTA SUCK YMAO!" for months on end.
I didn't mean to single you out. Just pointing out some hypocrisy in what "some" fans said then and what they say now concerning how to take reviews.

I remember hearing "It's GONNA suck," but very few able to articulate compelling arguments to back that up.
JurorNo.2 wrote:People are tired of the Internet becoming next to useless.
C'mon, Prince...how else would I have been able to show large amounts of people at great distances what a real 73% "fresh" tomato looks like using time lapse photography?

Its never useless as a tool...just misused.
Last edited by featofstrength on September 1st, 2016, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:I only told people to keep trailers in perspective. Period.

I didn't mean to single you out. Just pointing out some hypocrisy in what "some" fans said then and what they say now concerning how to take reviews.

I remember hearing "It's GONNA suck," but very few able to articulate compelling arguments to back that up.
JurorNo.2 wrote:People are tired of the Internet becoming next to useless.
C'mon, Prince...how else would I have been able to show large amounts of people at great distances what a real 73% "fresh" tomato looks like using time lapse photography?

Its never useless as a tool...just misused.
Because too many fans (on both "sides") think it's all about numbers, like it's a math problem you can solve with a formula.

The time lapse video was pretty cool! You're just not going to catch me defending the Internet any time soon. More misuse than use at this point, IMO.

Oh yes...I meant to write GONNA. Thanks for pointing that out, lol.
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:Because too many fans (on both "sides") think it's all about numbers, like it's a math problem you can solve with a formula.
Pretty sure SONY had an equation or two on an Excel sheet:
x + y = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
By JurorNo.2
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Because too many fans (on both "sides") think it's all about numbers, like it's a math problem you can solve with a formula.
Pretty sure SONY had an equation or two on an Excel sheet:
x + y = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Add to that the reputation of the film. That's the variable you guys keep discounting. ;)
By Kingpin
featofstrength wrote:some of the same that told us to disregard trailers/early reviews and form our own opinions in the beginning?
Some folks did feel justifiably vindicated in their belief that the trailers weren't a good representation of the final product, they certainly weren't with regards to Leslie's character.
By SpaceBallz
You mean how Feig and Jones said that Patty's character was a "NYC Historian" until the film was released?
By JurorNo.2
Well she basically is. I don't need for her to have a degree. That just means your Daddy gave you money for college (coming from someone whose Daddy spent a lot ;) ).
By SpaceBallz
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well she basically is. I don't need for her to have a degree. That just means your Daddy gave you money for college (coming from someone whose Daddy spent a lot ;) ).
That'd be like calling me a Sommelier after I drink a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Raystantz Italy liked this
By JurorNo.2
Nah, Patty does know more than your average New Yorker would, by far.
MightyAni liked this
By featofstrength
Kingpin wrote:
featofstrength wrote:some of the same that told us to disregard trailers/early reviews and form our own opinions in the beginning?
Some folks did feel justifiably vindicated in their belief that the trailers weren't a good representation of the final product, they certainly weren't with regards to Leslie's character.
True. She turned out fine, but I could find that tidbit out from some of the same reviews that let us in on all that doesn't work.
By JurorNo.2
Personally, I found out she was fine the first time I saw the trailer. :)

And reviews aren't tell to reveal what does or doesn't work, like it's a verifiable fact. And, it's not a math problem. And again, you just have to be aware of who the critics are and where they're coming from.
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]