By BoondockRev
I have always wanted to BUY a proton pack, never thought in a million years I'd ever have the gumption to build one- and then one day I got the crazy idea to make a GB Web Series so now I'm building 4 Packs, 3 Ghost Traps, and the various uniform additions (Lifegard II, Mortorola MT500, Belt Gizmo) for four uniforms (I don't recommend this). After a lot of trial and error and a LOT of help from good friends I'm going to put up as many tips as I can and try to put up as accurate cost analyses as I can for the whole process to give a look into what it's like as I'm sure there's many questions on 3D printing and it's effect on the propbuilding world. At the very least- you still have time to make it to Halloween. I'd love to post pictures, but I'm a noob to these things. There's some up at facebook.com/ghostbustersseries and even more on Instagram @ghostbusterswebseries.

First off, I'm not a prop builder, I am just a filmmaker who loves Ghostbusters and had some free time this year. So if I screw up terminology, or leave a pressing question unanswered- just ask below. My only exposure to other packs is what the local GB franchise graciously let me look at, and explained the process of the aluminum/fiberglass packs. From what I can tell, there's detractors and benefits on both sides. Also, on accuracy: From what I can tell tgoacher's pack and gun, countspatula's trap, and supplemented parts from NewHobbyist (the ones I'm indebted) are pretty friggin' screen accurate. I also will be using daniel_nelms's Mortorola MT500 with tgoacher's belt attachment for it and jason407's Lifegard II model for uniform elements (The belt gizmos are hardly going to be on camera so I used Andrew Snavely's guide and made one for 15 bucks from dollar store elements). I say all that to bring up propmaking in 3D printing is usually a 4 step process- digital design, digital design cut up for print bed, print optimization, and finally assembly of printing. The digital design and cut up have largely been taken care of for you by the community already. Optimization is really dependent on your machine, I am personally running a Flashforge Creator Pro which I bought from Wal-Mart for 970 bucks. Barring research for your specific situation- the Creator Pro is one of the higher end Prosumer models (Professional models will run you in the tens of thousands). The great thing about this machine is that the print bed is pretty huge, any plans you find online are going to fit on it. Also, I get to pick my software since the Creator Pro is open source (More popular MakerBot is the "Mac" of the 3D print world), I use Simplify3D (100 bucks, but well worth it) which is what optimizes the print. Warning for another machine; it took WEEKS of trial and error for my good friend Efraim to finally dial his Flashforge into settings that work the best. Not to say all prints failed (although some did), but if you go down the path of a Flashforge I can post all of our settings on here.

Speaking of time, I'll give you some perspective, the Lifegard II had two parts to print. It's completely hollow inside, so a LOT of support had to generated(Stuff you just pull off after the print). Total plastic cost for two Lifegards and two radios the best I estimate is about $1.50. Buy two cans of spray paint for four bucks and that's all you need.
This print took 9 hours and 14 minutes. I left it going overnight and it was finished in the morning.

There was about a three week span where I was printing non-stop, a 9-10 hour print at night, an 8 hour one while at work, and a 1-3 hour one in the evening and only had maybe 2 failed builds, which I traced to one little tiny element in the trap parts that had some ghosting in the design so it started printing in thin air. Ghosting doesn't happen often, but when it does you usually can just print the one item by itself and it solves the issue. So in 7 straight days of printing, I was able to print 4 complete proton guns (except the handles which I just used PVC for about 5 bucks for all four), 1.5 traps, and 2 booster tubes for a proton pack (which is one of the longest prints)- all of which was a single roll of PLA plastic for $29.99 (DO NOT scrimp on your plastic, I buy mine from MatterHackers and the entire first pack was completely printed before we had the printer fail a build). That being said- we only failed when we switched plastic colors, long story short- your settings really matter on your plastic color. Efraim is Dutch so he randomly picked neon orange, and it has turned out to be our best color for our settings. Conventional wisdom would dictate you'd probably want to get black, think of this though: you're going to probably have to paint anyways. Most striations from the print go away with a single coat of grey primer, then when you put black paint on top of that- there's almost none left, and a wee bit of sanding will take care of it. The only rough thing is the parts you have to split up to fit on the bed. For example; cylcotron is cut up in four parts. Tonight I attempted to put some plastic wood on the crevices of the syncrotron , and so far you can't even tell it's not one piece. So far, I've only had to sand one piece to fit, the injector tubes to the attachment that goes on the powercell. Other than that structural issue, I've not needed to sand anything because of the two layers of paint already on it (got the idea for the plastic wood after I painted).

The stuff you CAN'T print is exactly what you'd think: the motherboard, the ribbon cable and wiring, the screws to structurally attach stuff, the split loom, and the electronics. You can print the tube parts of the handles, but I've found tubes are the most time consuming thing to print so buying PVC was the better option as I'm filming in December and have a ton of crap to print still. The electronics have been a labor of love of my cousin Scott and he decided to go with a raspberry pi that we've utilized python to program the controlling of the lights, and sounds through. We analyzed the one right here on GBFans and it's pretty spectacular and for around 250 bucks it's a steal to have everything ready to go. We went with the raspberry pi set up because if the first episode is a hit, we're going to be programming an IR sensor in the barrel of the proton gun to set off squibs live on set as well as set off our "flash bulb" for lighting the actors when the fire their guns, or at least that's the goal! The motherboards for all four was about 20 bucks worth of MDF, without the electronic guts inside- although they're less than five pounds- I can lift the entire pack above my head with little to no effort. I'd say total it will be around 20 lbs, which is great for stunts. On that note, the plastic is pretty durable, I'm not worried at all for being on set and jostling it around a bit. If it is hit by something, the final two layers of paint will be designed to give it a "wear and tear look" and any hits on set will reveal peeks of silver/grey.

All in all, think of 3D printing as flying the Millennium Falcon instead of a Star Destroyer. Star Destroyers have maintenance bays, customer support, and IT Guys to fix problems. The Falcon is literally Chewie and Han throwing crap together to make it to the next job. I have a TON of support helping me when things go wrong- right now three printers are going at three separate people's houses so we can get these done before December, and Scott's working on electronics as well as helping keep the machines running. One pack on a schedule of constant printing (Day, Evening, Night) will take around 15 days. Ghost Trap NO PEDAL- 4.5 days. Machine 1 has had no problems, but it's smaller and goes slower, Machine 2 has had one spaghetti failure because it was the hottest day of the year (plastic didn't adhere and just makes a plate of mom's spaghetti) the entire duration, Machine 3 has had two catastrophic failures. Nothing that the forums couldn't clear up, but the machine was out of commission 1 day, then 3 days, I still haven't had to buy any new replacement hyperdrive parts, but have had to bust out a hydrospanner numerous times. Best part- if I do have to replace anything, the most expensive part is 40 bucks, and most of them are under 15 bucks. Also, from what I gather on the forums, Flashforge is very understanding when you call them and will even give you free parts if it is an assembly failure.

Okay, some math;
Printer: 970 bucks
Plastic: 120 bucks each pack/gun
Electronics: 100 bucks each pack
Miscellaneous Screws and Glue: 50 bucks each pack
Cabling and Ribbon Cable from GBFans: 100 bucks total

So for 2,150 bucks, a lower price than one aluminum/fiberglass pack ($3,500/estimated) I will be getting four packs/guns. Each of my packs, including the cost of the printer, will end up costing $537.50. Not to mention for about two more PLA spools and some paint (around 70 bucks) I'll be getting three traps, two lifegards, two radios and their holster. Emerging into this world is scary at first, but you'll find there's a huge community (like this one for Ghostbusters) out there to support you. I'll do my best to answer any questions too if you need it, if not on here don't hesitate to email me at- ghostbusterswebseries@gmail.com.

Sorry guys, I will not be selling anything most definitely this year, and quite possibly ever. As cool as it is, the printing and assembly is majorly time consuming, and frankly- this whole thing has made me just want to print tchotchke items with no assembly steps for a while to give my hands a rest. If you do not go down the 3D print route there are plenty of folks who make these things constantly that you can commission (for fear of legality, I won't put them here) but also the anovos kit comes out soon.

Indebted to:
-Scott, Andrew, and Efraim for 3D Printing and Electronics "Tech Support"
-For plans: tgoacher, NewHobbyist, countspatula, daniel_nelms, jason407, and Andrew Snavely all of which utilized the tremendous research done by this awesome community.
-My wife Cassie for letting me chase dreams (which I promise we will make stuff for etsy ONE DAY with this thing)
By xyster101
That is some good information. Upload pictures to photobucket and then past the links. It will show the pictures automatically.
I have access to a 3D printer and have not been impressed as it is slow to print and the parts require clean up when done.
By BoondockRev
Thanks for the info! Uploading some to photobucket now!

In the mean time- I will say I've only been impressed with results from a printer with a .04 mm nozzle. This comes standard on the flashforge creator pro, however most other printers have a larger nozzle. Also setting yourprimary layer height to .2 mm. I've never had to do an infill more than 15% but I will post a picture of what it looks like inside at that percentage, give me a couple minutes.

The only other option to avoid having detail work is in the design phase, turning the polygon count WAY up. I haven't been apart of this phase yet, but as you'll see there's really only an issue on the tube parts not being perfect circles, some small amounts of sanding take care of it though which you'd probably be doing on a fiberglass throw anyways, or even worse getting welds right on the aluminum parts.
By BoondockRev
Here's the detail the .04 nozzle does, I will not be sanding this at all as whatever small striations there are will be taken care of by the first primer layer (again, why you might as well not print in the final color you want it).
Here's the optimizing phase of the Lifegard II in Simplify3D(9 hr 14 min print)
Here's how it turned out after the first coat of spray paint (no sanding necessary). The only thing was the belt clip snapped off immediately, fixed it with epoxy and a screw at the top.
By comparison, the radio took 6 hours 30 min since there was no building supports necessary, it was just a giant block of infill. Here's a shot of what it looks like at 15%
Here's the pack and also utility belt with the dollar store belt gizmo.
I'd say the only things that require sanding are the booster tube and the injector tubes (although at a distance they still look pretty great). But all of this is a literal check box in the design phase, it will just take longer to print.
By xyster101
Awesome pics. I like how you really spelled out how long it takes to print. Also you need to be good with a 3D program to utilize the printer. Why did you not use sketch up as it is free?
By BoondockRev
All of the free programs or default ones that came with the hardware were alright, we've just found Simplify3D to be very easy to customize and program each build in the Flashforge Creator Pro. Case in point, we opened up Simplify3D the first time and selected our printer profile and plastic type and we immediately had everything set up for us. The free programs required mass amounts of set up. Disclaimer: Flashforge is a Chinese knockoff of Makerbot (the "Mac" of 3D printing) so for the 1070 I paid for software and hardware and am very happy- you're forking out 3500 for the Makerbot equivalent hardware and software and you can't even use some software on it because it's closed source (hence Mac).
On time; just making sure y'all know the cost, this isn't a miracle machine. But just saying I got to go to work, eat, and play with my kid all the while my machine was going on its own. Those 12 days I maybe spent an hour of my own time setting the build and pushing a button. If you're doing any other material- you have to focus on what your making out of a bunch of material you bought. The 3D printer does that for you. Plus assembly wise I've maybe spent 15 hours total on assembly and need about 5 more to complete a gun, pack, and trap (sans electronics). All the while, my printer is going in the background.
By BoondockRev
Also i know nothing about crafting in 3D software, but obtaining the files from thingiverse.com easy and free. The learning curve for all of us has been the learning how plastics work with the machine. We're really only using this printer at about 15% of its capabilities.

For one, I only use one of the two extruders. Meaning with a bit more programming, I can print in ABS plastic instead of PLA and use my second extruder to print the supports in PLA. Then I can just hit it with a heat gun and instead of breaking off the supports, they'd just melt away. Also with about 50 bucks worth of parts and 10 minutes of time I could swap the extruders for ones that can print rubber, stainless steel, or plastiwood. All of those have different melting and cooling points so the trial and error would begin again, but the possibilities are amazing.
By davidkram2003
Wow this thread came at the perfect time. I had just ordered the same printer you are using a few days ago. I had already built my pack for Halloween but I was probably gonna upgrade a few parts like the hga since I just used an old can of pringles for that lol. I will probably buy the same software you used because those parts look great. Once I get my printer I would love to get the settings you used and any advice you may have on building stuff. Very happy I saw this before I decided to try on my own.
By BoondockRev
So mega bummer just typed out everything, and my internet cut out and lost all of it. I'll attach pictures to start off and see if I can salvage what i said in the next post.
By BoondockRev
Give some free software a shot, as I’m always for free stuff rather than spending money. The look of the parts is simply because the likes of tgoacher and NewHobbyist made the files so good. Simplify3D only controls your printbed programming. The simple research of what settings worked best was VERY easy to change and tinker with in Simplify3D, but now that we’ve figured all that out I’m definitely curious if the free software would work well with what we’ve found. Say though you do use Simplify3D and you got your shiny new Flashforge Creator Pro sitting on your porch ready to unbox- let me get as many of my learnings out as I can so that you don’t make the same mistakes as me.

First off- run to a hardware store- you’ll need a BBQ Spatula (Or another thin, flat metal tool that you can hit) and a mallet. You think I’m kidding, but really, some of the longer flat prints you’ll need to literally pry off the bed. The best way around this is to also have some painters tape on the bed. I’ve found if you go this route you may have bonding issues on some days, and on other attempts you’ll have 30 great prints in a row. Andrew rubs some glue stick glue on his painters tape and I’ve watched him pull an entire bed worth of lightsaber parts off effortlessly. I carefully just get one corner up and lightly tap the mallet so it slides underneath and I’m in business. For 40 bucks you can also get a glass print bed and I’ve heard you can pull anything off it with zero elbow grease.

Second- the set up. If you choose to go with PLA like us, you’ll want to keep it in package as long as you can in a dry place. The printer needs to be in an area where the temperature will be constant (i.e. no intermittent Air conditioning). We keep our plastic and printer in our garages. Also, the surface will need to be solid so when the extruders are going back and forth at high speeds, it won’t shake the surface it’s on. PLA has worked best for us with the front door of the printer wide open, and the top completely clear of the plastic casing that it came with. Think consistent, somewhat warm room temperature, hot boxing PLA doesn’t let it bond very well. Efraim has even disconnected his internal plastic fan (don’t do this right off the bat, only if your garage is way hot) and has a stand up fan 4 feet away blowing into the front of the printer (again, unless you have problems, don’t do this off the bat).

Third- your first prints. I know you want to get to making proton pack parts but trust me, make something you don’t care about a few times. I’d say do it with some of this cool stuff on thingiverse that “upgrades” your machine:
-Universal Spool Holder- Your flashforge’s spool holders are only for flashforge plastic, I haven’t used them, BUT with your free spool of PLA- print a couple of these babies out and your purchasing power has been liberated:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:714533
-Cable Guide- Your dual extruders and wiring sometimes droop- this takes care of that. Tape works too:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:447165
-Spare parts- Might as well if you have to tinker with settings, there’s some stuff on your machine that can be printed instead of bought in case it craps out. Welcome to 3D Print life, making your own solutions.
ALWAYS preheat before print, I’ve found that most of the usual problems are solved when this is done. I go into utilities and select “Load Filament left” which heats it up enough for the plastic to flow. Do this, or dial in your preheat settings option and you can use that as well. Our settings are optimized for Matterhackers Standard PLA 1.75mm Orange- I specify color because it really does matter. Same settings but in black made a complete nightmare for me (but you can tinker with the settings find the optimal ones for it), on that note you may want to watch the first two layers of your build for safety’s sake on the bigger builds. You can usually see if there’s going to be a problem in that time period.
As I said above, I’m really only using about 15% of the capabilities of my machine- I use the L Extruder because the fan is right next to it. Usually if you do a dual build with ABS it won’t need to cool but be hotboxed in there with plastic (don’t ask me how they work in tandem- I’ll answer “magic” because it’s pretty cool to watch at Matterhackers who are down the street from my work).
Just in case the Simplify3D settings should set your L Extruder to 230C and Platform to 50C

Fourth- as I’ve said weather can literally spoil your print. You can’t control the weather, but you can control your settings. Most things that go wrong are a matter of temperature settings, either your build temperature or your fan settings. If you have to toy around with your temperature- do it by 10 degree increments on your extruders but 5 degree increments on your build plate. Key word CALMLY (it can be frustrating) use a print color you don’t like, and keep changing settings until it gets it right.

Also specifically on the HGA- NewHobbyist’s on thingiverse is basically ready to go and doesn’t need much sanding, but the one I have is tgoacher’s as it leaves holes for the authentic screws to go in place.

Good luck man!
By Styrofoam_Guy
I put a glass bed on my printer and it helps with leveling and you do not have to worry of your bed is slightly warped.

I did not buy the special glass but got some picture frames at the discount store and cut the glass to size. I have a couple of glass sheets so if a print is hard to take off I put it in the freezer and a few hours later the part easily pops off if it has not fallen off already. So far I have not had any issues with the cheaper glass.

I use a glue stick on the glass bed to help the parts stick. I have silicon pads to help transfer the heat from the aluminum bed to the glass.
By Styrofoam_Guy
I got some silicone heat transfer pads from ebay. They are small squares that help transfer the heat from the aluminum bed to the glass.

They stick more to the glass than the bed so when I pull the glass up the pads stay with the glass. Mine are spaced about 1 inch apart around the glass surface.
By davidkram2003
I haven't received my printer yet but I have another question. I've never 3D printed anything before. Is the software necessary if the files are downloaded from the thingiverse website? Can they just be placed on an sd card and printed that way?
By BoondockRev
You do need some sort of software that places the thingiverse files onto the digital print bed, that is what Simplify3D does. A quick google search with your printer brand and make should come up with a free software too. Thingiverse will have .stl files, these are the build files- the software will export it as a .gcode and .x3g file straight to your SD card.
By davidkram2003
Ok thanks for the info. Once I start printing everything I'll let everyone know how they came out.
By BoondockRev
So- another thing, our hot temperatures here suddenly dropped off and we've had some mid-60 degree afternoons. Some of my big prints, that I've already done perfectly for the first pack, are suddenly having the first layer edges curl up. This is an indicator that the plastic is cooling too fast and thus contracting before the second layer gets there. Still usable, but I'm going to have to fill it in with plastic wood to have some hard edges. I'm attempting right now to do a 65C print bed temperature and using my plastic door and top cover for the first time to see if it fixes the problem, I've also turned my fan off- will let you know if it worked in the morning.
By davidkram2003
Hey I just got my printer and I wanna be able to print the files I downloaded with the pla filament and not the abs. Every time I try to print it only does the abs. How can I make it where it only prints pla? Is there a setting on the printer to disable the abs?
By BoondockRev
You should have had two spools in the box- one is PLA, the other is ABS. You'll just have to unload the ABS spool from the machine.
By davidkram2003
I tried that. It still tries to print only from the right spool even when the filament is taken out. The only time I could use the left side was during the test cube part.
By BoondockRev
Ohhh I see, it's the programming, gotta make sure it's for left extruder only, the inputs above should be for left extruder only.
By davidkram2003
Can you explain how to do that?
By BoondockRev
Did you get Simplify3d? If so go into settings on extruder and select the left extruder as your primary. Let me get home to look at my simplify on my computer there. I belief it's the first tab.
By davidkram2003
No I didn't use simplify. I used a free software. I'm gonna download the simplify software since it will probably work better.
By davidkram2003
I bought the simplify software and downloaded it. Added my printer to it but still can't find any options or settings to use only the left extruder.
By BoondockRev
Alright, go to the "Edit Process Settings" Tab then take all of the screenshots up above and enter the parameters, make sure they match the pictures.
By BoondockRev
Finished my first fully 3D Printed pack on Monday- 3 more to go! The 2nd one will be done tonight with any luck, and will look much better thanks to learning from some mistakes from the first one. Full lights and sounds provided by GBFans Soundboards in this one. The 2nd and 3rd one will have no sound, the fourth will run on a raspberry pi (Still GBFans wand/cyclotron kits),

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

Proton Props UK

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a quick update on […]

Ecto Containment Unit

First off awesome work!!! second of all where did […]

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]