Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Hey, Ghostheads!

I am a college student in an upper-level English class. The emphasis this semester is on choosing a community you are a part of as your writing topic. Obviously, I decided to write about us! The first paper is an introduction to the community stating something that I think is unique and want outsiders to know about us. I'm required to have a couple of interview quotes in it. That's where you all come in! I'm hoping some of you may feel alright with answering some "interview questions." I will take as many responses I can get although not all may be used. Feel free to answer any or all of the questions that you like. I'll need two things if you choose to answer: Your name, how long you've been a fan or in the community, and any sort of brief background you wish to give. I have asked some others already to participate in this. I can use all the help I can get. I'll greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time with this. :cool:

Here are the questions -

1. What first inspired you about Ghostbusters?

2. What sets the GB community apart from other fandoms?

3. How has GB affected your life outside of the fandom?

4. How long have you been a fan?

5. What would you like outsiders to know about our community?

6. What stereotypes do you think the community carries?

7. How did you feel about the recent reboot, its development, and reception?

8. What's the most important quality of our community?

9. What's your level of participation?

10. Would you recommend others to join the GB community?

Instantly loved it and was obsessed. I was too young to get the jokes or fully grasp the plot, i was into the action.

The fact that people set up their own franchise and people usually dont dress up as a character from the movie, but put on a patch of there own name. Gbfans in particularly, if you need help or have questions, its impressive how extremely knowledgeable people are and willing to go out of their way to help you

Alot of time and alot of money.. Being a fan is more like having a hobby.

28 yrs

Newbies are welcome. Whether you built parts from the dollar store or spend thousands of dollars, its all respected

Bunch of misogynist men plus all the other stereotypes that come with fanboys

7. How did you feel about the recent reboot, its development, and reception? It sounded like a bad idea that was being developed by people who weren't as passionate about the movie. The fear that the new movie would not pass the way i loved Ghostbusters onto the next generation of kids.

Finding people who share your interests, not always your opinions

Build props, buy merchandise, forum.. I dont go to event's. One Halloween i wore my pack up and down San Francisco. It killed any desire to wear my pack for any considerable length of time

10. Would you recommend others to join the GB community? Absolutely
JurorNo.2 liked this
I can't remember exactly, as I was really young. I'd guess it had something to do with the fact that I had a very active imagination, and I was a very "believing" child. So I believed in ghosts and monsters, and my imagination would run wild with the "bad things" that could "get me." So the Ghostbusters were the anti-that. They were the heroes to step in and make those things go away. It wasn't until I was older that I think I realized most of the humor in it.

For the most part, there are great people in this fandom that are willing to help each other out. Almost everyone I've come into contact with has no interest in personal gain and just wants to help others.

Ghostbusters has always been my favorite movie. It's a sanctuary. It is something that is always there and will never be taken away. It can always help lift my spirits. It has also allowed me to connect with people I may not have met otherwise and become friends with them outside of the mutual love for Ghostbusters.

As long as I can remember. I'm 31 now. Ghostbusters came out in theatres the year before I was born.

We're, for the most part, normal people. It's a passion, and it may seem odd to be so passionate about a movie that is over 30 years old, but in reality, it's a medium. It's a way that allows us to get out and help people, help businesses, help others, and help our communities. Ghostbusters brings smiles to peoples' faces. Being able to do that, even by dressing up as a character, while it may seem "nerdy" or "weird" is actually just a medium to helping people. And it's awesome.

With most any "comic-con" type of cosplay, I think it carries an "over-doing it nerd" stereotype. It sometimes feels like people think we neglect other parts of our lives to be obsessed with Ghostbusters. I also think this is extremely unfortunate, because it sometimes makes people look past how awesome the individuals are. Our families support our hobby, and it's not something that we're embarrassed by or feel is overdone.

The reboot was a fun movie. It was never going to be, and never will be, as good as the original. That's just the nature of it. I think it was a fun movie. It was different, but fun. I think that a lot of fans got to an "internet tough guy" mentality of trying to "bring the movie down" and constantly flamed the director and the cast online. It wasn't productive behavior and it never will be. They were going to make the movie their way. Do I wish it was a sequel, with the original cast playing their original characters? Absolutely. Am I ok with that not happening? Yes. It's just a movie. At the end of the day, most people I spoke to thought the movie was entertaining and fun but that it didn't live up to the original, which is exactly what I expected. The internet flaming and the "mobs" of angry fans that were really just a vocal minority don't bother me.

The welcoming attitude. I remember meeting my current franchise for the first time, just by blind luck, at a screening. I had no idea there was a franchise here in Buffalo, NY, even though I knew there were many franchises worldwide. I was welcomed with open arms as an immediate member, and we have continued that and have grown every year. Meeting new people, and getting to know them outside of Ghostbusters, is really just awesome. Ghostbusters is a connection, but it breeds bigger friendships.

I'm one of the most active members in my franchise. I am the primary "donation opportunity" guy in our group, finding new ways to raise money for charities.

Absolutely. We'll welcome you with open arms.
JurorNo.2 liked this

Theres something special about the first adult movie you see as a child, it leaves an impression like nothing else. I was 7 when I first watched GB on TV. Up until that point the most adult movies I'd seen was The Goonies. I was an odd child who enjoyed ghost stories and scary things and I can still vivdly remember seeing the Librarian ghost for the first time which scared the hell out of me but I loved it. I sat rapt through the whole film and loved every second of it. I was a fan for life. That started me watching the Real Ghostbusters Cartoon but I was disappointed that it wasnt scary enough. Luckily enough within a year or so Ghostbusters II came out and seeing that as a kid on the big screen sealed the deal on my lifetime of GB fandom.

Its distinctly less nerdy than a lot of other fandoms. And less commercialized.

It affected my life in many ways. I've had a lifelong fascination with ghost stories and the supernatural, and GB was probably the seed that planted that interest as a child.
My taste in comedy movies and TV shows has always been character driven as opposed to one-liners and skits, something I also attribute to being such a fan of GB at a formative age. Adam Sandler movies wont get a smirk out of me, but Egon saying "I looked at the trap Ray" makes me laugh out loud still.
One of my other big passions has always been the Titanic. I build models of it, have tons of books and that interest has also led to an interest in shipwrecks and ocean liners in general. Ghostbusters 2 was the direct source of this interest. That scene made a hell of an impression on me when I saw the film and introduced me to the story, which inspired me to base a school project on the Titanic, which in turn grew into a lifelong interest.

Since 1988.

?

I dont think the Ghostbusters fandom has any stereotypes. I think its one generally looked upon as one of the less geeky fandoms but not one that really has much presence in most geek events. Unless you count the manufactured stereotype pushed by Sony and co. that GB fans are women hating misogynists and probably satan worshippers.

As a movie in its own right I think its solid. Its fairly entertaining and the cast is likeable. But I dont think its a good Ghostbusters movie, its not what I want to see the future of GB based on. I dont think it captured the tone or feel of GB at all. And its development was a transparent cash grab - take the flavor-of-the-month Feig and McCarthy crew, slap on a recognizable brand name, rake in $$.
As far as its reception goes, I think many reviewers were more interested in championing the supposed politics behind the film than they were in actually critiquing the movie. I think the audience reaction which was far more subdued much more accurately reflected the film. Its an OK film, just a remake. Nothing special, nothing terrible. Just a fairly forgettable movie.
In all, I dont think the movie has left the franchise, the fandom or the future of either in a better place.

Enthusiasm for GB and keeping it alive. Its fans, not movie studios, that have kept GB alive through the decades with nothing new. They dont make them like they used to, younger generations need to see films like GB.

Not much. I've sporadically used the message boards since basically the start of internet fan message boards, but I come and go. Not being into the building props and cosplay side of things, theres only so much you can talk about two films and two animated series. I go to see every single big screen showing of the original film, I collect GB merchandise, wear GB T-shirts etc.

Sure.

-Jamie Ross
JurorNo.2 liked this
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Apparently there are rumours of another announce[…]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]