Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Trolls may feed on attention, but for them to see that as a platform is pure delusional thinking. No matter how much attention they get, they are losers and will remain so. We might as well tell them so. I'm not going to keep quiet just because some fans bought into the false narrative that they too were being insulted.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote:"Evil triumphs when good people do nothing."

And speaking from experience of bullies in school, trying to ignore them didn't get me anywhere.
Yeah I think the original idea behind ignoring bullies made sense, but people have simplified it too much. I remember being bullied and my parents saying, "Ignore them." But what they meant was, "Don't let them bother you, don't let them ruin your day." They had no illusions that the bullies would magically stand down just because I ignored them.
deadderek liked this
Ignoring bullies in real life doesnt work. My old man always taught me to stand up to them and I did and it generally worked. But in real life theres something you can do. You can punch them in the head. With internet trolls theres nothing you can do, they are just anonymous text usernames somewhere on the planet.

The majority of internet trolls are 13-15 year old turds. Im 34, I've got better things to do than argue with them. Anyway, 100% of the power that trolls have is derived from people reacting to them, why give them the satisfaction of knowing they've pissed you off, its exactly what they want.
Commander_Jim wrote:Anyway, 100% of the power that trolls have is derived from people reacting to them
Or, we can stop thinking of trolling as being a form of "power." That's what they'd like to believe, that hurting people makes them powerful. Again, that is their delusional thinking.
My favorite part of the latest episode is equating quitting social media with suicide, and the kids tweeting nice things about the girl while she's sitting right there.

Social media has become so integrated into peoples' lives that for important announcements like the birth of a child, it is now acceptable to just make a facebook post instead of telling someone in person or even a phone call. Communication is becoming more impersonal with each "advancement".

As for online bullying, yeah it sucks, but it isn't the same as real life bullying. It can be ignored. "Fighting back" online trolls is just pissing into the wind.
Sav C, Alphagaia, sting3037 and 2 others liked this
Same here. I resisted getting a smartphone for years until my wife got me one. It's useful, but I don't have it strapped to my eyeballs like most people. (Which apparently you can literally do now.) Society is in a weird, weird place at the moment.
It's only a tv show, but South Park has served as a sort of moral compass for me over the years. I'm so glad it's still around and as insightful as ever.

Nice Hendrix btw. :cool:
Sav C, JurorNo.2, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By Sav C
savintheday wrote:Same here. I resisted getting a smartphone for years until my wife got me one. It's useful, but I don't have it strapped to my eyeballs like most people. (Which apparently you can literally do now.) Society is in a weird, weird place right now.
It's the worst when I'm playing baseball and the kids on my team have them out. They should be rooting for the team, not distracting themselves. Of course you could make a rule "no phones in the dugout", but I don't like the idea of forcing regulations or anything on people.

Edit: You'll never get me into one of those VR things, especially not around anyone else, that would be embarrassing!
It's only a tv show, but South Park has served as a sort of moral compass for me over the years. I'm so glad it's still around and as insightful as ever.
I haven't really watched much of the show, but the movie was hilarious! I hum the song about uncles all of the time.
savintheday liked this
Sav C wrote:You'll never get me into one of those VR things, especially not around anyone else, that would be embarrassing!
I would try it out just as a novelty thing, but it's not something I would want to use in everyday life. If it's anything like watching a 3D movie, my eyes are gonna bleed after 15 minutes.
Sav C liked this
Yeah, if it was a Ghostbusters thing or something I'd try it out, that would be cool. There's quite a bit of talk now about VR movies and how they'll alter the industry, but in my opinion it won't be capable of replacing the cinematic experience.

Haven't seen a 3D film in years.
savintheday wrote:Same here. I resisted getting a smartphone for years until my wife got me one. It's useful, but I don't have it strapped to my eyeballs like most people. (Which apparently you can literally do now.) Society is in a weird, weird place at the moment.

I think I was in my senior year of high school when cell phones were just getting portable. I'd seen so many class mates get their t-180 calculators taken away from programming games into them during class. One of my classmates was running Mega Man 2 on theirs!

When I saw some kids showing their cell phones off in the early days I wondered "How long before they get taken to?"
Sav C liked this
savintheday wrote:Same here. I resisted getting a smartphone for years until my wife got me one. It's useful, but I don't have it strapped to my eyeballs like most people. (Which apparently you can literally do now.) Society is in a weird, weird place at the moment.

Broooooooo I got one too! I wish the VR games were longer, but after handling my phone and feeling how hot it got after a few short games I can understand why.
Sav C wrote:You'll never get me into one of those VR things, especially not around anyone else, that would be embarrassing!
Eh, I guess they can't look anymore ridiculous than headphones, and I wear them all the time. If I get an opportunity I'll try VR goggles out.

Knowing me, I'll turn them up too bright much like how I turn headphones up too loud :D
I had the chance to try the Occulus Rift last year. It ran a rollercoaster simulation, but the graphics were far from being realistic and the only thing I could do was head movement. VR is nothing more but a gimmick right now. It's a nice start, but it will most likely take another 15-20 years to get to photorealistic virtual environments! It's completely overhyped in my opinion!
Did anyone watch episode 3 last night? Cartman telling Heidi women are funny get over it was great. (I wont type out the rest he says due to it being very inappropriate for this forum) The cops investigating Cartman dropping off twitter as a homicide/suicide was hilarious. I couldn't help but notice Kyle's dad destroying evidence was exactly what Hillary Clinton had done.
savintheday liked this
Kingpin wrote:"Evil triumphs when good people do nothing."

And speaking from experience of bullies in school, trying to ignore them didn't get me anywhere.
I think we sometimes forget that we need to pick our fights. I've been known to let things bubble inside and have an outburst, at least it was like that in school.
Commander_Jim wrote:
The majority of internet trolls are 13-15 year old turds. Im 34, I've got better things to do than argue with them. Anyway, 100% of the power that trolls have is derived from people reacting to them, why give them the satisfaction of knowing they've pissed you off, its exactly what they want.
Yeah unfortunately a lot of YouTube is made up of video channels by or targeting 13-15 year olds such as PewDiePie. I'm not the age group for this immature material and it's sad to see what's now called 'the YouTube generation' take control of the Internet. I visit and comment a lot on YT and have fallen into the trap of arguing with kids or in one case a 19 year old feminist who's knowledge of video gaming is from the last five years (apparently she considers herself more a gamer). The point is the Internet isn't just open to adults, it's open to everyone so everyone's voice is heard regardless of age.
Skyknight wrote:I had the chance to try the Occulus Rift last year. It ran a rollercoaster simulation, but the graphics were far from being realistic and the only thing I could do was head movement. VR is nothing more but a gimmick right now. It's a nice start, but it will most likely take another 15-20 years to get to photorealistic virtual environments! It's completely overhyped in my opinion!
This is actually the reason Sega stopped pursuing VR back in the 90s. They found that people's expectations of graphical quality were too high for what Sega could deliver so they abandoned it leaving Nintendo to try for themselves and we know how that went. :wink:
Sav C liked this
I can't believe there are still those among you who think the 2016 film was "cringeworthy" or "groanworthy" when its humor is exactly on par with the originals.

I also can't believe grown adults still think South Park is smart satire and not just the laziest possible right-wing libertarian pandering. Its politics are the worst of any piece of comedy on any end of any political spectrum and there's a reason alt-right trolls have a hard-on for the show.
scythemantis wrote:I can't believe there are still those among you who think the 2016 film was "cringeworthy" or "groanworthy" when its humor is exactly on par with the originals.

I also can't believe grown adults still think South Park is smart satire and not just the laziest possible right-wing libertarian pandering. Its politics are the worst of any piece of comedy on any end of any political spectrum and there's a reason alt-right trolls have a hard-on for the show.
You PC, bro?
featofstrength liked this
You don't have to be "PC" to see that South Park has incredibly childish "politics." The only stance the show ever takes at all is that any sort of change, any sort of thought, anything at all new or different is simply stupid. There's no nuance, it has nothing to add to any topic it touches upon, and it comes across as something written by elderly conservatives trying desperately to be cool and hip.

"Political Correctness" incidentally is not in any way a problem in modern society and the only people who think it is are the Trumps and Limbaughs of the world whose feelings get hurt when their racist and chauvinistic remarks are called for what they are.
I hate political correctness when it makes people terrified to speak (never helpful in a democracy). Or when it tries to retroactively declare 80s movies "bigoted" just because some latter day millennial* is too young to comprehend humor.

*I say latter day because technically I'm a millennial as well. ;)

Not a conservative, btw. More like an old school liberal.
featofstrength liked this
scythemantis wrote:You don't have to be "PC" to see that South Park has incredibly childish "politics." The only stance the show ever takes at all is that any sort of change, any sort of thought, anything at all new or different is simply stupid. There's no nuance, it has nothing to add to any topic it touches upon, and it comes across as something written by elderly conservatives trying desperately to be cool and hip.

"Political Correctness" incidentally is not in any way a problem in modern society and the only people who think it is are the Trumps and Limbaughs of the world whose feelings get hurt when their racist and chauvinistic remarks are called for what they are.
Basically from what I've gathered here is you've seen one show where they made fun of something you like and that offended you. You're description of the show couldn't be further from the truth and South Park has made a point to make light of all aspects of our society. Political correctness is good, but it can also be abused. The grouping of all ghostbusters 2016 haters as sexist trolls is proof of that.
scythemantis wrote:You don't have to be "PC" to see that South Park has incredibly childish "politics." The only stance the show ever takes at all is that any sort of change, any sort of thought, anything at all new or different is simply stupid. There's no nuance, it has nothing to add to any topic it touches upon, and it comes across as something written by elderly conservatives trying desperately to be cool and hip.

MIC. DROP. BRO.
weepel, savintheday liked this
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]