GohstTarp wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Good luck GT. Drilling my standard grille sucked ass so i take my hat off to you for attempting this.
Thanks, VS. As I was mounting the templates, I was thinking, "What have I gotten myself into!?!?!" Working on it a little bit at a time has helped. I've found that after about 45 minutes to an hour, I need to stop and leave it for another day.
Fair play buddy. The extra time and effort will be well worth it!!
By GohstTarp
Half-way there! Earlier, I had considered doing a much simpler pattern, but after seeing how well Bishop's pattern turned out on my motherboard, I knew I made the right choice...
I cleaned up both sides using a countersink bit. Thanks to Jay for the reminder.

Here is the inside...

I've already started drilling other grille, so I should have another update before too long :)
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SAMIAM liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Nice job you did there. Sand that all down with super fine grit to remove any burrs when you're done and it will be even more amazing.
By GohstTarp
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Looks epic man. Seriously amazing
Thank you, VS! Like most everything else in my build, the secret was to take my time :)
barison82 wrote:Awesome work, really well done [emoji106][emoji106]
Thank you, Barison! I always appreciate your support, buddy.
PssdffJay wrote:That is amazing! Hurts my eyes to look at it (and my hand remembers that pain too).
Thank you, Jay! My favorite part is how it messes with your eyes/brain. It's like your eyes are just on the edge of making sense of the pattern, but it just can't quite get there.

Now on to some updates. My speaker grilles are officially finished! Here they are with the speakers installed...

I must again thank BishopDonMiguel for sharing his pattern and allowing me to have some really special grilles. Thanks, man! You rock!

After installing the speakers, I needed to hear how they sound, so I installed the shell and got out my electronics...

Let me assure you... it not only sounds good... it FEELS good. The two 5 1/4" speakers give the pack a nice rumble... perfect!

Next, I wanted to start work on my ABS plastic shelf for electronics and my first task was to determine where my headache/neck foam and danger label would be placed, so I don't drill any holes that will affect them. I made some paper templates and placed them on the inside, so I could line it up with my ABS shelf template...

That's it for now. Please let me know if you think the Danger label placement is off. I'm feeling good about the neck foam template. Also, wanted to note that I'm aware the the foam and sticker will actually get applied to outside of the motherboard when I get to that point :)

I'm currently cutting my ABS and will post some updates when that is done.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naptime liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Absolutely lovely.
By barison82
Looks awesome! The placement of the Danger label looks accurate - that's where I'll be positioning mine, after carefully studying some photos [emoji4][emoji106]
By tilallr1
GohstTarp wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Looks epic man. Seriously amazing
Thank you, VS! Like most everything else in my build, the secret was to take my time :)
barison82 wrote:Awesome work, really well done [emoji106][emoji106]
Thank you, Barison! I always appreciate your support, buddy.
PssdffJay wrote:That is amazing! Hurts my eyes to look at it (and my hand remembers that pain too).
Thank you, Jay! My favorite part is how it messes with your eyes/brain. It's like your eyes are just on the edge of making sense of the pattern, but it just can't quite get there.

Now on to some updates. My speaker grilles are officially finished! Here they are with the speakers installed...

I must again thank BishopDonMiguel for sharing his pattern and allowing me to have some really special grilles. Thanks, man! You rock!

After installing the speakers, I needed to hear how they sound, so I installed the shell and got out my electronics...

Let me assure you... it not only sounds good... it FEELS good. The two 5 1/4" speakers give the pack a nice rumble... perfect!

Next, I wanted to start work on my ABS plastic shelf for electronics and my first task was to determine where my headache/neck foam and danger label would be placed, so I don't drill any holes that will affect them. I made some paper templates and placed them on the inside, so I could line it up with my ABS shelf template...

That's it for now. Please let me know if you think the Danger label placement is off. I'm feeling good about the neck foam template. Also, wanted to note that I'm aware the the foam and sticker will actually get applied to outside of the motherboard when I get to that point :)

I'm currently cutting my ABS and will post some updates when that is done.
Thanks for the idea with the Danger Label. I was wondering how I was going to tackle that, with the electronics. Great and simple idea.

Beautiful speaker grills btw. I don't think I have the energy to drill that many holes. LOL
By tilallr1
GohstTarp wrote: For power, I'm using the standard blue brick from the GBfans store. I easily removed the LED using these instructions from jackdoud. Here is my battery after the customization...
The blue brick along with nstevic01's nifty Blue brick wiring set made the battery plug-n-play. I will keep the battery switched on, and use nstevic01's wiring set for the master power switch.
Quick question on this. I looked at the instructions and there is no info actually on removing the LED by itself. Which I think is what you did. Do you just heat up the solder holding it and remove it? Do you need to put anything in its place? Thanks for your advice.
By GohstTarp
tilallr1 wrote:Thanks for the idea with the Danger Label. I was wondering how I was going to tackle that, with the electronics. Great and simple idea.

Beautiful speaker grills btw. I don't think I have the energy to drill that many holes. LOL
The Danger label idea I borrowed from Bishop (like most everything else), so I can't take credit for that. You can find his post for that here.
Thanks for the complement on the grilles. There is a lot of drilling involved, but it's not a much work as you would image.
tilallr1 wrote:Quick question on this. I looked at the instructions and there is no info actually on removing the LED by itself. Which I think is what you did. Do you just heat up the solder holding it and remove it? Do you need to put anything in its place? Thanks for your advice.
My LED wasn't installed on a little board like jackdoud's. It was just soldering to a couple of wires and I simply snipped the LED off.
By PssdffJay
I did the same thing with my danger label when I was drilling my shelf supports. I did however need a hole where the label was, so I drilled it (before the label) and tapped it so that I could screw a bolt in from the inside and made it flush to the outside so the label would hide it. It was the only one I did like that but it was necessary for my build.
By GohstTarp
tilallr1 wrote:So you didn't have to connect the circuit? There are 2 unconnected leads where the led was? I guess it wasn't part of a circuit.
Correct. I don't remember covering anything with electrical tape to avoid a short, but if it ended looking like a short was possible, I'm sure I insulated the leads/wires. After I closed it up, the battery functioned just like it did with the LED attached.
By tilallr1
GohstTarp wrote:
tilallr1 wrote:So you didn't have to connect the circuit? There are 2 unconnected leads where the led was? I guess it wasn't part of a circuit.
Correct. I don't remember covering anything with electrical tape to avoid a short, but if it ended looking like a short was possible, I'm sure I insulated the leads/wires. After I closed it up, the battery functioned just like it did with the LED attached.
Cool pretty simple then I guess. Thanks
By barison82
Hi GohstTarp - just a quick question; about the positioning of the holes in the motherboard for mounting the Alice frame, do you have the measurements for where they should be drilled? As this is an area I have been looking at as my build will be going through this stage quite soon I expect - I have consulted Ben already about it, with photos; I'm sure they know but want to be sure, because I have seen quite a few packs out there that are definitely mounted too low, and I would really like mine to be done correctly, the way you see them in the movie - the pack is quite high above shoulder height when worn. Any help on this would be much appreciated!
By GohstTarp
barison82 wrote:Hi GohstTarp - just a quick question; about the positioning of the holes in the motherboard for mounting the Alice frame, do you have the measurements for where they should be drilled?
My motherboard from the GBfans Shop came pre-drilled with the Alice Frame mounting holes. I can try to get you some rough measurements, but if you aren't using a GBfans Shop shell and motherboard, things could be slightly different/off.
By barison82
GohstTarp wrote: My motherboard from the GBfans Shop came pre-drilled with the Alice Frame mounting holes. I can try to get you some rough measurements, but if you aren't using a GBfans Shop shell and motherboard, things could be slightly different/off.
Hi GohstTarp

Many thanks for getting back to me. I was just curious about what a ball-park measurement would be, this would be useful as a rough idea, as long as it isn't too much trouble! My shell/motherboard is not GBFans so I have taken your point on board, thank you [emoji4][emoji106]
By GohstTarp
Made some progress on my ABS electronics shelf for the pack. Following Bishop's example again, I determined five points to drill holes for attachment of the shelf. The points are marked by white nylon spacers...

Sanity checking my placement by laying down the finished ABS shelf...

Next, I drilled my holes in the motherboard and shelf, then attached...

A view from the side showing the nylon spacers...

For attachment I used 1/2" nylon spacers (#10 ID), 1" 10-32 button socket cap bolts and 10-32 nylon insert lock nuts.

Now I've got to get some electronics mounted to that shelf! I had mentioned previously that I had some extra room on the shelf and I've decided to use it for a Bluetooth audio adaptor :cool:
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GohstTarp
Also, wanted to share a photo from Rose City Comic Con 2016 of myself with Red Guy from 'Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared' fame. He kept saying something about his favorite idea...

It was great to see the rest of the Portland Ghostbusters all together. As a bonus, I had the honor of meeting Alan Hawkins this year. I'm glad you made the trip down from Seattle, Dr. Hawkins!

*edited for spelling and grammar
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Naptime liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Great pic!
By GohstTarp
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Naptime wrote:Everything about this thread is amazing.
Thank you, Naptime! That made my day :)
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Awesome pic GT. The shelf isn't too shabby either ;)
Thank you, VS, for all the support!
Alan Hawkins wrote:Great to meet you too!
I ended up getting separated from you and some of the Portland Ghostbusters way too quickly. Looking forward to chatting more at the next con.
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Great pic!
Thanks, Bishop! Posting Con pics is a blast.
barison82 wrote:Awesome!! Love the tidy work on the ABS shelf too.
Thanks, Barison! The tidier, the better, I say. BTW, I haven't forgotten about your ALICE frame mount hole location measurements. I'll be removing the speakers again soon and can get a proper measurement.

Now, on with updates...

Over the last week, I had time to mount electronics on my ABS shelf. When I first started thinking about electronics, I found Lowberg's thread showing his installation of the Fusion MS-BT100 Bluetooth Dongle. He mentions that the MS-BT100 was picking up some noise and that was something that I knew I wanted to correct, so I ordered the MS-BT100 along with a BOSS Audio B25N Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter. I confirmed that I was getting the noise issue as well, due to the Pack Blaster amp and the bluetooth adaptor being powered by the same source, but adding the Ground Loop Isolator in-line resolved the issue... No noise, just clean audio :cool:

Here is what my ABS shelf looks like with the Pack Blaster, Vent Rely, MS-BT100 and Ground Loop Isolator all wired up and installed...

Pack Blaster...

Vent Rely...

MS-BT100 and Ground Loop Isolator...

I created a mini-shelf for the MS-BT100 to be mounted via a nylon zip-tie and a 10-32 socket cap bolt, so that the mini-shelf can be easily attached by nylon stand-offs and M3 screws...

The MS-BT100 has a substantial cable attached, so getting that, along with the eight RCA barrel connectors hidden under the ABS shelf with 0.5" in clearance took some serious cable management voodoo...

My plan is to add external switches to control power independently to the MS-BT100 and the Vent Mech.

Also wanted to mention that I used the same M3 nylon spacers and screws that Bishop recommended...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F338TH0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZKBWTY

Next up will be mounting the Powercell lights.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canpara liked this
By barison82
GohstTarp wrote:Thanks, Barison! The tidier, the better, I say. BTW, I haven't forgotten about your ALICE frame mount hole location measurements. I'll be removing the speakers again soon and can get a proper measurement.
You're welcome GohstTarp; this build just gets more and more incredible with each update!

But omg - thank you so much for your help with the measurements, I really didn't expect you to go to that kind of trouble (having to remove the speakers) so again I really appreciate your help, but just hope it's ok??

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]