Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I'd love to see an original rough cut of GB 2 with the Ray possessed while driving, the Louis/Simer War, more of Hardemeyer plus a little more action. Despite some logic errors (suddenly being crack shots and capable of acrobatics) The Times Square sequence in ATC was fun. But that also draws from RGB where they had numerous large action beats every episode.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Agreed. I'm glad we see them mature beyond master/keeper puns, lol. Dana and Peter's restaurant scene in GBII was certainly more sensitive and thoughtful than anything I could comprehend as a child. Or Janine and Louis' bit about the "roommate," I had no idea what was going on, lol. Negativity taking over, that's something that weighs heavily on a 30 or 40 year old. Not a child. I don't see it as a movie "for kids" at all.
Yeah. Isn't it odd how there are some people with such strong ideas of what a Ghostbusters film has to be, yet only one of the three films fits those ideas? People need to loosen up a bit and accept GBII and ATC more. The original is a great, amazing film, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only one. The others can be great without being the same thing.
Sav C wrote: Yeah. Isn't it odd how there are some people with such strong ideas of what a Ghostbusters film has to be, yet only one of the three films fits those ideas? People need to loosen up a bit and accept GBII and ATC more. The original is a great, amazing film, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only one. The others can be great without being the same thing.
How true that is! And you know, it's a question of making lemonade out of perceived lemons. You can complain about the No Smoking thing, or you can think it's oddly amusing that Dan somehow managed to sneak it in anyway, lol.

Like, I've seen fanfiction where Winston points out that Ray is the only one still smoking and he ought to quit, lol. That's character development! :D
Sav C liked this
I gave ATC a chance, twice in 3D. And the whole film felt foreign to me. Sure there were all the familiar beats (tan suits, proton packs, a Cadillac hearse) but all of that felt off to me personally. It felt like a parody that didn't quite do their homework, but granted the original films and media are a big part of my life so that's hard to deprogram.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: Yeah. Isn't it odd how there are some people with such strong ideas of what a Ghostbusters film has to be, yet only one of the three films fits those ideas? People need to loosen up a bit and accept GBII and ATC more. The original is a great, amazing film, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only one. The others can be great without being the same thing.
How true that is! And you know, it's a question of making lemonade out of perceived lemons. You can complain about the No Smoking thing, or you can think it's oddly amusing that Dan somehow managed to sneak it in anyway, lol.

Like, I've seen fanfiction where Winston points out that Ray is the only one still smoking and he ought to quit, lol. That's character development! :D
It is amusing. I actually prefer not seeing them smoke cigarettes, but cigars I'm cool with. That sounds like a fun fanfic.
DarkSpectre wrote:I gave ATC a chance, twice in 3D. And the whole film felt foreign to me. Sure there were all the familiar beats (tan suits, proton packs, a Cadillac hearse) but all of that felt off to me personally. It felt like a parody that didn't quite do their homework, but granted the original films and media are a big part of my life so that's hard to deprogram.
You might not like the reboot but you do seem to accept it, and you did say the ending was fun. I mainly mean the people who get facts mixed up with opinions and say things like "Ghostbusters II was terrible," only they don't use terrible. They don't accept that it may be a good film regardless of whether they like it.

Granted I get my opinions mixed with facts when talking about music, but I try my best to keep my best to keep those opinions to myself. I probably could do a better job at that though.
JurorNo.2 liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:It felt like a parody that didn't quite do their homework, but granted the original films and media are a big part of my life so that's hard to deprogram.
I don't see it as a parody; it's more self aware perhaps, because that's the style for this generation of comedies.
Sav C liked this
I didn't mean that it is truly a parody (although most of Feig's films parody the genre they fall in) but similar to how parodies use enough detail so you can identify it but it's not the real thing, sorta deal.

Oddly enough is that most of the criticisms thrown out about GB 2 mirror a lot of criticisms that people made about ATC which I personally feel was more of a way to stick it to those against it by calling out until recently what most in our fandom considered a good and fun sequel. For a while there was a lot of GB 2 love here on the boards but as the reboot began to take shape and people began speaking out against it suddenly GB 2 became this bastard step child that was a horrible film.
DarkSpectre wrote:I didn't mean that it is truly a parody (although most of Feig's films parody the genre they fall in) but similar to how parodies use enough detail so you can identify it but it's not the real thing, sorta deal.

Oddly enough is that most of the criticisms thrown out about GB 2 mirror a lot of criticisms that people made about ATC which I personally feel was more of a way to stick it to those against it by calling out until recently what most in our fandom considered a good and fun sequel. For a while there was a lot of GB 2 love here on the boards but as the reboot began to take shape and people began speaking out against it suddenly GB 2 became this bastard step child that was a horrible film.
Well I wasn't on this particular board until recently, but GB2 was picked on in general long before the reboot. It surprised me too at the time, I remember, to realize it wasn't universally loved. And you know, that is why we didn't get a GBIII for so long. So I can't really blame Feig for that...

Like I said, I think that Wired article was garbage, completely unnecessary. I won't even provide the link because I don't want anyone to have to read it, lol. But I think other people are just bringing up GBII to demonstrate that we've had spotty entries in the franchise before, so why is GB16 such a big deal.
I honestly think (and I was guilty of this as well) that there was this feeling that ATC and it's world and iconography would somehow become the new face of the franchise and fandom i.e. everyone starts sporting the new packs and uniforms and over time the originals become a footnote. I guess that probably stems from how quickly a lot of the heavy hitters in this fandom rushed to embrace it. It felt like the betrayal of ideals but then the movie came out, some liked it, others loved it and some flat out despise it's existence and didn't exactly light up the fandom or the box office the originals importance regained a foothold. Now I realize that we've gotten a little off topic here but after 11 years on this board you tend to notice things.
Sav C liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:I honestly think (and I was guilty of this as well) that there was this feeling that ATC and it's world and iconography would somehow become the new face of the franchise and fandom i.e. everyone starts sporting the new packs and uniforms and over time the originals become a footnote. I guess that probably stems from how quickly a lot of the heavy hitters in this fandom rushed to embrace it. It felt like the betrayal of ideals but then the movie came out, some liked it, others loved it and some flat out despise it's existence and didn't exactly light up the fandom or the box office the originals importance regained a foothold. Now I realize that we've gotten a little off topic here but after 11 years on this board you tend to notice things.
I used to have that panic about reboots and remakes, but I eventually came to realize that things do balance out in time. Classics don't disappear that easily. In fact, reboots can serve to bring attention to classics (which I definitely think happened in this case).
Sav C liked this
I definitely think it revived interest in the classics. I could easily see Holtzmann and maybe Patty being retconned into the comics since they have the following.
My hope would've been that at least based on the fact that the sticking point for so many is that Ghostbusters II rehashes the plot of Ghostbusters, they would know they can't do the same thing again. As the press tour went on, they talked about going international -- that would've been a good start.

That said, one of the things I thought about months ago in the lead up to this film is that the original Ghostbusters doesn't really lend itself to sequels. What makes sense is for them to save the world, and then switch to an episodic format where you can just do the weekly busts.

What's good about this Ghostbusters in terms of avoiding that a little is that the new team is much more focused on research. So I think combined with the idea of going international, I like the concept that they could be drawn to various places around the world and maybe come upon some new piece of ghost lore through their research.
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:I used to have that panic about reboots and remakes, but I eventually came to realize that things do balance out in time. Classics don't disappear that easily. In fact, reboots can serve to bring attention to classics (which I definitely think happened in this case).
I think I've seen as much GB84 merchandise on the shelves as GB16 stuff, just like I see as much OT star wars merch as Force Awakens stuff, and Force Awakens was a hit.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Depending on the story some sequels have done better than the original. I am thinking Aliens and T2. Also if they can get someone like Joss Whedon to direct/ co-write the script. Before The Avengers he wrote a script for Wonder Woman but it was rejected by DC. Image where DC movies would be if they let him shoot that movie.
Sav C liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Depending on the story some sequels have done better than the original. I am thinking Aliens and T2. Also if they can get someone like Joss Whedon to direct/ co-write the script. Before The Avengers he wrote a script for Wonder Woman but it was rejected by DC. Image where DC movies would be if they let him shoot that movie.
Joss Whedon is worse than Paul Feig so I'd be happy for him not to have control over the next movie. :wink:
pferreira1983 wrote:
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Depending on the story some sequels have done better than the original. I am thinking Aliens and T2. Also if they can get someone like Joss Whedon to direct/ co-write the script. Before The Avengers he wrote a script for Wonder Woman but it was rejected by DC. Image where DC movies would be if they let him shoot that movie.
Joss Whedon is worse than Paul Feig so I'd be happy for him not to have control over the next movie. :wink:
Hey, no bad talking about Whedon! This guy created Buffy and that was one of my favorite shows back in the 90's!
I dont think GB2 is awful but to paraphrase Bob Chipman they jettisoned any potential world building to reset the movieworld to tell a story that was way too similar to the original.
B The Real Ghostbusters. It was about that time when the parents council overhauled the show, toned down the darker elements and made Slimer the forefront. Murray also laments that the script he read was much differnt and better than the final product which makes me wonder if the sequel was originally more in line tonally with the original.
Forgive me but I dont buy that at all. RGB even after the Q5 debacle was still churning out dark interesting stories (granted not as many). RGB has become a convenient scapegoat but GB2's problem was that it felt too much like a rehash of the first movie.

Now when it comes to an ATC sequel how it could go well who knows but as long as they do something creative with it Im in.
Kingpin liked this
i was not happy with GB89 as it felt like the story was too similar to GB84. Now the story and the content could be 98% new and different but if that 2% hit some key points then it can feel like the GB89 story is the same as the GB84 story.

With the reboot I do not mind the story being the same as GB84. I see the similarities as an homage to the original movie. However if they do a sequel the story better not be anywhere near the GB84 or GB16 story.

Similar to Star Wars TFA. Some didn't like it as it had similar key points similar to ANH. Again I see it as an homage to the original movie. If the next movie is not completely original I will pan the movie.

Reboot hose attached. And Still working out a fe[…]

Thanks for making this thread - was able to follow[…]

Wow this looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading […]

@gpstar, Thanks for all this info. I’m wor[…]