This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
Well, since this thread is titled Egon's hardhat, it's about time I got some more work done on that one, huh?

I have been making templates of various widths to see which one worked best. They're just printed onto regular paper and held in place with a rolled-up piece of Scotch tape.

This one is 2 and 7/16" wide, I think it looks just about right.

The revised graphic that I made looks like this:

The 'type' number is my birthday, listed as MM-YYYY-D. The 'contract' number is the date that GB2 was released. And the 'serial' no. is how much GB2 grossed, according to the imdb.

Now I just need to get one printed onto foil somehow. Any suggestions?

Alex
I'm still planning the photo shoot-- so far I've only rounded up two severed heads, drat-- so in the meanwhile I'm gathering props.

One of the only props they're carrying that is specifically mentioned in the dialogue is Ray's "old transit map".

Here's some progress I've made while browsing online this morning...

1906 (iirc)

1958 (iirc)

I'll probably take these files and have something printed up large and then fold it down. Just an idea in the back of my head right now, I have lots of other irons in the fire at the moment.

~~~

EDIT: I just found a great resource for more images...

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Historical_Maps

Alex
I got a sheet of self-adhesive silver labels in the mail, it was a free sample from RippedSheets.com

I printed out my info onto it and cut one to size. I tried trimming it with a straight-edge and an X-acto knife, but truthfully had better results with a pair of scissors.

It's hard to get a good photograph of it because the silver is super-reflective. At top you see the paper test version.

Then I cleaned the entire hardhat with rubbing alcohol and peeled off the paper backing of the label and affixed it.

I need to hit it with a clear-coat or add a piece of packing tape over the top of it, because I tested a corner of one of the others and if it gets wet, the ink will run.

Alex
i would bet the two chrome backed red shiny sticker on the side of the hard hat

are the warning stickers from the thrower .....just printed with the color in negative

give it a look... seem to be the same size ...
I may go back and also do the 1958 map, but I pieced together a larger version of the 1858 map, so I went and had one printed at Office Depot as large as they could do it.

It cost about $14 after tax. It would almost be a shame to fold it up like a real map, but here's a happy accident...

The gal didn't realize she had photo paper in the printer on the first try, so I've also got this neat glossy version, at no charge.

~~~

I trimmed off the excess white at the edges and came up with a decent way of folding it. It preserves the vertical folds, which were very visible on the original image, but I ignored the real (and barely visible) horizontal folds and only gave it two side-to-side folds, mainly due to its slightly smaller-than-life size.

~~~
ramcuda wrote:As to the Jar on the belt .. I would guess Mason or pickle jar...
The jar looks glass, but the lid looks like red plastic, at least in this other closer view elsewhere in the film.

Ideas?

Alex
Kingpin liked this
that jar looks to have flat sides ..... like a mason/caning jar
after looking at the movie as the slim pours in to it ... the slime stacks up and sinks ... think like pouring syrup on pancakes.. and the side of the jar facing dan there is some distortion in the glass its self and not as clear threw as the other sides of the jar.. so i think the BALL wording is facing him ...

Haha... the one time in my life I've ever had my hand/wrist immobilized in a cast, I had a dream that my hand was stuck inside a Ball jar and I was smacking it against a table to try to shatter it. I woke up beating the cast against my night stand.

The dream was very specific about it being a Ball jar, probably due to my first wife having been from Muncie, Indiana. But when I shared this story with someone via email, I accidentally typed Bell Jar, and the recipient started going off on this tangent about how Sylvia Plath was her favorite author. I had to respond and clarify that we were having a total misunderstanding due to that one typo.

Anyway, back to the prop... wouldn't it be sort of risky having a glass jar hanging off one's belt in the general vicinity of the gluteus maximi?

I'm thinking I may just remove the label from a plastic jar of peanut butter or something.

Alex
Well, well, well... let's dust off this old thread in light of new information, courtesy of Tom Gebhardt of the NJ Ghostbusters!

Now go back and re-read the thread from the beginning and watch how well Kevin deciphered the text from the movie stills.

We pieced together a lot of it via Google after that, but we got the city in CA wrong.

What a great New Year's Eve surprise!

Alex
Hey, Alex

I've always had it in the back of my head to do a Subway Uniform, and this thread really pushed it to reality - already ordered the hat and light!

Unfortunately the pics on here are not working for me, but what did you find for the yellow jacket/slicker/rain coat?
For the yellow slicker, I bought whatever modern 'rain suit' was being sold at my Home Depot at the time, but I didn't use the included yellow pants with it. I bought orange gloves there the same day. They look *really* close to what was worn in the movies.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:Well, well, well... let's dust off this old thread in light of new information, courtesy of Tom Gebhardt of the NJ Ghostbusters!

Now go back and re-read the thread from the beginning and watch how well Kevin deciphered the text from the movie stills.

We pieced together a lot of it via Google after that, but we got the city in CA wrong.

What a great New Year's Eve surprise!

Alex

I forgot about this. Quite amazing to see those!
Alex Newborn liked this
kevinj319 wrote:I forgot about this. Quite amazing to see those!
I totally freaked out about them when I saw his pics posted on Facebook!
Twinkie'84 wrote:Unfortunately the pics on here are not working for me
Yes, that's a side effect of me keeping my albums on Facebook. Although the pics are all still there, after a while the links don't work anymore on these forums. And I don't have the power to go back and edit my old posts to refresh them.

So, for anyone interested, here is a pic of some of my GB2 hardhats:

L to R: Venkman's, Ray's when he's dangling like a worm on a hook*, and Egon's when he's jackhammering a big hole in First Avenue.

[* That is, for most of the scene. There's a continuity error in the movie, however. For part of the scene, his hardhat switches to a different brand, then back.]

This shot adds my Con Ed supervisor hardhat.

I've since done a second Con Ed hat, which I weathered to be all grimy for the Con Ed worker who shuts off the protection grid in GB1. I didn't plan to do a second one, figuring this one would work for both, but my niece's husband had the same model of blue hardhat among four that he was throwing out and she offered them to me. The vinyl guy who cut my custom Con Ed logo had given me a whole stack of the decals for my $5 purchase of one, so the second one cost me nothing but time.

I don't seem to have a still pic of the two Con Ed hardhats together, but you can see them compared in this short video:

Here's a shot of me in the Ray outfit like he wears in the later subway scene when they see the severed heads. This is the jacket of the rain suit I was talking about in an above post. The rain suit and orange gloves were bought at Home Depot just a couple of years ago.

A slightly blurrier shot of that outfit. The transit map was something I found online and had printed at Office Depot. The black flashlight is from the 80s... in fact, it's the exact same kind that I incorporated into my old proton pack, as the rear and front grips of the thrower.

And this is a promo image that I shot for my improv comedy troupe's GB-themed Harold Ramis tribute show in 2014. The three people used as severed heads are former members of the troupe.

The caption read: "Oh no! I was exploring the catacombs beneath the Zodiac Theatre, and found the spirits of Wickets who have moved on!"

Alex
Left out some pics but I can't edit that post anymore...

I think this was the image I used for the transit map. The one I found online was bigger... when I saved this copy to Facebook it shrank it.

This was our 'fake' sticker for the Egon hardhat. We managed to fill in a lot of the correct data, but then I dropped in phony numbers for the stuff too tiny/blurry to see... like my DOB, the release date for GB2, and its gross earnings according to the imdb.

And here's what the real sticker almost certainly looked like, as explained in a post higher on this page.

Photo from the collection of Tom Gebhardt. Used with permission.

By the way, I asked Tom for the dimensions of the real sticker, and my fake one was only off by a sixteenth of an inch. He said that was amazingly close, but in fairness I did have the same size hardhat to eyeball it.

Alex
ramcuda wrote:that jar looks to have flat sides ..... like a mason/caning jar
after looking at the movie as the slim pours in to it ... the slime stacks up and sinks ... think like pouring syrup on pancakes.. and the side of the jar facing dan there is some distortion in the glass its self and not as clear threw as the other sides of the jar.. so i think the BALL wording is facing him ...

Just now reading this but I am going to try to do this outfit tomorrow if it rains heavily at our event. Here is what Ill be using for that......

Im going to use some of my left over keyfob materials to wrap it tight around the bottom of the lid and attach it to the back white keyfob and im making a separate belt kit for this outfit. Ill have more pictures later.
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]