By busterofb.c.00
Now most people make a pack build on their first or their screen accurate pack.

I, however, am doing my second pack.

My first pack was this beauty. It started as a box that I made from flats of cardboard with cardboard straps to something that looked more closely to a movie pack

Image.

I originally wanted my new pack in July but was persuaded not to due to the fragility of styro foam. But then my local franchise had an event on the 16th and I wanted to wear a pack. I had everything ready to paint but we had a storm the day I was going to spray paint. So now I have finally taken photos of what I've done so far and a rough draft of what it will look like in the end.

I'll post some more photos tomorrow as I should be getting to bed soon.
By busterofb.c.00
I used styrofoam sheets that are 1 1/2" x 14 1/2" x 48". This gave me lots of to work with. I've only used two sheets and still have room on the one I used for the motherboard and the package came with 6 sheets so I have enough for another two.

Now for dimensions and ideas, I used Norm's plans as most people do and found them to work really well. However, I found it better to have the motherboard more thick then what most people do as it gives the pack a bit more height and girth to it.

All I did to cut it out was to measure the styrofoam to how tall and wide I wanted it then from the bottom (the diameter is 12" if anyone wanted to know). I then went up and measured 12" from the bottom and made my half circle. I Then got my box cutters and simply cut it all out.

Now fair warning to anyone who uses styrofoam, you'll need to vacuum even if you have something on the ground. It gets everywhere. I'm still finding pieces here and there.
By likesjellydonuts
Not a bad start, but just a heads up, I'm pretty certain that spraypaint will dissolve that kind of styrofoam. Definitely test it on some scrap before hand.
By busterofb.c.00
Not a bad start, but just a heads up, I'm pretty certain that spraypaint will dissolve that kind of styrofoam. Definitely test it on some scrap before hand.
All right thanks man. I already tried it on the ion arm as it's so small that I can easily cut up another one and it seems to do fine. Should I try regular acrylic paint just in case it does?
By Astyanax
Nice job so far!

Yes, watch out for the spray paint. I have a lot of experience with this, so lemme offer some insight. The problem is not the paint, but the propellant in the can that can dissolve styrofoam. I'm not a fan of any brush paint kind of solution, because of the difficulty in preventing brush stroke texturing.

There are a couple possible solutions:

1. Hold the can as far away as possible. This allows the most of the propellant to dissolve in midair before it comes into contact with the foam. This is especially effective in low humidity . I have found that painting when the humidity is 50% or below is a best practice anyway.

2. Use an airbrush.

3. Coat the foam to protect it from the spray. I think Mod Podge is probably your best bet for this, as it brushes on and evaporates quickly with minimal brush strokes. Again, try to wait for low humidity.

Also, for your foam cutting, have you thought of investing in a hot wire cutter? It prevents the dust from happening and gives you cleaner cut lines. Google it, you'll find some very cheap ways to make one.

Good luck!

Bill
busterofb.c.00 liked this
By likesjellydonuts
All great tips Astyanax.

You could also seal your foam with Elmer's, or even wood glue. I realize that your budget isn't exactly limitless, that being said, you could make a hot wire cutter for pretty cheap, there's a lot of videos on how to do this.

Personally, I think you could easily get away with brush painting your pack, just try and use a fairly soft brush. Unless you have an air compressor, airbrushing is going to be way out of your budget. You can get a cheap airbrush from harbor freight, and while there are cans of airbrush propellent out there, they're expensive and you'd need a few to paint your pack.
By busterofb.c.00
Also, for your foam cutting, have you thought of investing in a hot wire cutter? It prevents the dust from happening and gives you cleaner cut lines. Google it, you'll find some very cheap ways to make one.
I have thought about it, however I'm only 16 and don't really have the money/time/interest to go make something like that. I do understand the importance of cutting the straight lines as I have had some troubles with it. I might do it for my next pack when I'm a little more prepared but I think for now I'm good. Also I have everything ready to paint and assemble, and I'm just now making a topic out of it. But thanks anyways!
By likesjellydonuts
Age has nothing to do with it man, you're taking the initiative to make something, so we're going to try and give advise that we wish we had at your age. The recommendation of a hot wire cutter, isn't so much for your straight lines, as much as it is with sealing the foam while you cut it. The hot wire cutter will essentially make a crust on the outside of the foam and minimize all those little foam nuggets that will get stuck in your carpet.

I realize you may not be ready to make such a thing, but don't discard the information based on that.
By busterofb.c.00
Finally after several busy days of school, I return to my thread

I cut out the synchronous generator out of foam and and made a circle 12" in diameter and then drew a line from the middle of the top about 6" and drew a liner coming back down at and angle to the circle again

I then made two different versions of the cyclotron. one 9" and the other 10" . I liked the 10" more has it seems bigger and more filling then the 9" one.

I the used the 9" cyclotron to make the PPD and a can of pringles from my last pack for the booster tube.

I used another can of Pringles for the n-filter and that worked out pretty well. I used 2' grey coupling or PVC pipe to make HGA and cut out a piece of foam to cover the hole. I used some more foam to make the gearbox, the gun block and the ion arm. I tested spray paint on the ion arm to see hoe it would look and work so that's why it's painted on the picture.I also found a piece of rainbow luggage straps for the ribbon cable.

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]