Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Hi everyone,

Me again. I've given considerable thought this past month into the state of Ghostbusters as a franchise, how it's currently perceived, and how it can move forwards with more focus on story than controversy (which is all anyone really wants). After the positive feedback I received for my Lethe Theory, I've developed it into an article / narrative and provided a detailed breakdown on what's worked to date, what hasn't, and how it can be rectified.

Turns out that's not so difficult.

Check it out please and give me your thoughts. First time using Google Drive so I hope this works: A4 size link and A5 size link

Cheers all,

Chris
Webster, Lucifan, Scum liked this
So I'm halfway through and initial reactions are: this baby has legs. Could do with some thorough proof reading (I'd offer but my dyslexia means I miss as many issues as I find), but generally very easy to read with a nice flow to it. Dialougue feels a little flat in places, but not so much that it feels unnatural. Abby and Erin both have the right tone but Holtzmann comes across as quite serious when compapred with her onscreen representation; she sort of reads more like Egon than Holtzmann but that could just be my personal interpretation.
I'd be more than happy to offer a more in depth critque if it would help, but I in no way want to step on your toes because overall this has been the best tie in material I've read so far :)
Just finished myself. I have to agree with Webster on the dialogue, and Holtzmann comes off heavily as more Egon Spengler than the Holtzy of ATC. Ray being the first of the 1st Gen GBs was very fitting and appropriate, and seeing him back in the Pack was very nice. I feel you did balance things in the focus well, allowing a passing of the torch while not diminishing the classic team for arbitrary reasons. The narrative could use cleanup,but overall, easily a grounded foundation for a unifying story between the two continuities. Especially in a way that doesn't claim "parallel universe".
Webster liked this
Thanks guys,

You read fast!!

Grateful for feedback. I'd normally proofread a novel five / six / fifty times before I publish, but for this one time feels more time critical. After all, who knows? The extended version of the film could screw up my proposal royally. It's probably got a few inconsistencies and typos. If I expanded it into full length (about four times the word count) I'd put a lot more work into Patty and how memory loss affects her character.

Holtzmann is a difficult character to flesh out. Not sure she would suit an added dimension.

CH
GBfan_CH wrote:Thanks guys,

You read fast!!

Grateful for feedback. I'd normally proofread a novel five / six / fifty times before I publish, but for this one time feels more time critical. After all, who knows? The extended version of the film could screw up my proposal royally. It's probably got a few inconsistencies and typos. If I expanded it into full length (about four times the word count) I'd put a lot more work into Patty and how memory loss affects her character.

Holtzmann is a difficult character to flesh out. Not sure she would suit an added dimension.

CH
The personality and excitement of Holtzmann is there, it's just the words themselves that seem a little jarring, although she reads much better in the second half :).

EDIT: In terms of reading fast, when I find something I like I'm glued to it. If it can't grab me in the first few pages I'm done :P
GBfan_CH liked this
GBfan_CH wrote:I'm open to suggestions. :whatever:
Here's an idea: what if you send Ivan Reitman an email query letter asking if he would like to read your article. He would then request to read it (causing it to become solicited material) and you could send it to him, although I would advise not sending it as an email attachment (since it could be directed to the spam folder.) Instead I would mail, fax, or even embed it in an email.

If you like the idea I can send you (what I believe to be) his current email in a private message, which I found out about from the Sony leaks.

PS I didn't read your article yet, and was wondering whether or not I need to see the reboot first for it to make sense? If not then I'd be happy to read it :)
Sav C wrote: I didn't read your article yet, and was wondering whether or not I need to see the reboot first for it to make sense? If not then I'd be happy to read it :)
It probably won't make a whole lot of sense if you haven't seen GB16, though if you don't mind spoilers, you may still find it interesting.
Sav C liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:As underwhelmed as I was with Answer the Call, I enjoyed the hell out of this, Chris. Ghost Corp needs to see this.
Hey thanks. Think it adds to ATC? Getting visibility is my next challenge. Much harder than writing it was in the first place! I'm probably one of ten thousand people with a pitch right now.
Sav C liked this
I haven't read the entire thing yet, just bits and pieces, but before sending it in, if you want it to be taken seriously, please make sure you have character and actor names spelled correctly... "Aykroyd" for example. It is not ACK-ROYD (emphasized because this site autocorrects the name)

I'd also remove the "final thought" about the 2 things no Ghostbusters film should ever do again. Or at the very least, reword it. That kind of comes off as childish and "I know better than you" which you have to be careful in your wording to not come off that way. A proposal shouldn't have an air of "holier than thou" which that certainly does.
Doctor Venkman wrote:I haven't read the entire thing yet, just bits and pieces, but before sending it in, if you want it to be taken seriously, please make sure you have character and actor names spelled correctly... "Aykroyd" for example. It is not ACK-ROYD (emphasized because this site autocorrects the name)
No idea why, but that's seems to be a VERY common mistake. A large number of articles on GB I've read misspell his name. How hard is it to look up his name?
Fixed the name misspelling (that was a big one!). Just so you know, I'm taking every suggestion you guys make and working it into the document , plus proofreading on an ad hoc basis. The link above gets updated every couple of days.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to knock on a few doors because I would genuinely like to see the franchise go in this direction. i.e. A connected universe instead of a multiverse. No luck yet, but I'll keep you posted. And any ideas / suggestions you guys have are more than welcome.
Just read it, and thought it was really good! Nice job connecting the originals and ATC together, it felt quite natural. Two things came to mind reading it though,
This Post Contains Spoilers
and second it would probably have to be addressed why in ATC the ghosts look so much different from the ghosts in the originals. Of course the designs in GBII are ever so slightly different from the first one that it could be suggested that the ghosts's appearance shifts depending on who summons them.

Nice work :)
Sav C wrote:Just read it, and thought it was really good! Nice job connecting the originals and ATC together, it felt quite natural. Two things came to mind reading it though,
This Post Contains Spoilers
and second it would probably have to be addressed why in ATC the ghosts look so much different from the ghosts in the originals. Of course the designs in GBII are ever so slightly different from the first one that it could be suggested that the ghosts's appearance shifts depending on who summons them.

Nice work :)
Thanks. I think I burned my bridges with Ghost Corps as they took to ignoring my requests for attention. There were probably a thousand people pitching an idea of their own. If anyone knows another way to get hold of someone connected without proper representation, do share. My mind is totally blank. :whatever:
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
GBfan_CH wrote:Thanks. I think I burned my bridges with Ghost Corps as they took to ignoring my requests for attention. There were probably a thousand people pitching an idea of their own. If anyone knows another way to get hold of someone connected without proper representation, do share. My mind is totally blank. :whatever:
Well that's too bad. I don't have any other suggestions to get a hold of them, but if I think of something I'll send it your way.
GBfan_CH liked this

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]