Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
deadderek wrote:
As not a fan of the reboot as I am, I gotta give on this one. That's reading too much in to the picture. Makes me think of the "GIRL POWER" Spice Girls posters my sister had in the 90s.
Spice Girls was my first thought too, lol.
When I hear the Spice Girls the first thing I think of is the Adele Carpool Karaoke with James Corden :)
deadderek liked this
By Commander_Jim
Just going back to King Kong, it got its first remake 40 years after the original in the 1976 film, and that movie was absolutely hated on by fans of the original, even though it did ok with critics (sounds familiar..). Fans hated the change in tone, they hated that the old stop-motion special effects weren't used. Director Dino De Laurentiis, writer Lorenzo Semple, Jr and Rick Baker who did the effects all got hate mail from fans of the original, and the scifi magazines of the time which were like the 70's versions of aintitcool.com all tore it apart. The reaction the fans had to a movie that did decently with critics and did well at the box office was such that the movie has gone down in history being mis-remembered as as a disaster. So even in those pre-internet days we had fans hating on a remake of a movie they loved, and that movie was 41 years old! Imagine if the internet was around back then. So none of this is new.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote:Imagine if the internet was around back then.
Glad I don't have to.
By deadderek
goldenhawk wrote:Yeah Sony screwed up. And in the end, it IS all about the money.

https://youtu.be/bN8-f_2iTdw
While it's not ALWAYS about money, you can bet your ass Sony was NOT happy with the financial results from the reboot.

There is NO middle ground on that.
Last edited by deadderek on October 19th, 2016, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldenhawk, SpaceBallz liked this
By EJLambert
They certainly screwed up with marketing. That trailer could've been better imo.
MonaLS liked this
By goldenhawk
deadderek wrote:
goldenhawk wrote:Yeah Sony screwed up. And in the end, it IS all about the money.

https://youtu.be/bN8-f_2iTdw
While it's not ALWAYS about money, you can bet your ass Sony was NOT happy with the financial results from the reboot.

There is no middle ground on that.
When it comes to GB, Sony is all about the money. The reason this whole reboot thing happened to begin with is that some people at Sony saw some of us dressed to the hilt in GB gear and they came to the idea that there was money to be made. A lot of money. But they were foolish in thinking they had a Star Wars/Marvel franchise. And yes, Sony, Pascal and Feig handled everything wrong.

BTW, the GBs in our area are making an appearance at Air and Scare. It is a Halloween event where 25,000 to 40,000 attend each year. Ghost Corps sent us a bunch of leftover reboot and GB marketing posters and other stuff to distribute at the event. Ghost Corps said they have to get rid of the stuff and we are helping them out with that, as well as helping market the brand.

"Market the brand." Sounds like marketing the GB brand and not specifically the failed reboot.

"Get rid of the stuff." Sounds like Ghost Corps is either moving on from the failed reboot or shutting down.
By goldenhawk
JurorNo.2 wrote:There's always left over stuff after a movie. And you read far too much into what they told you.
Seeing that our group is in the close GB circle, a friend/contact of ours was let go from Sony/Ghost Corps in September. She worked the marketing end of the failed GB eboot. She said there were others that were also let go. So Sony is winding down GB until they screw up the next project.
By JurorNo.2
goldenhawk wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:There's always left over stuff after a movie. And you read far too much into what they told you.
Seeing that our group is in the close GB circle, a friend/contact of ours was let go from Sony/Ghost Corps in September. She worked the marketing end of the failed GB eboot. She said there were others that were also let go. So Sony is winding down GB until they screw up the next project.
There's a billion reasons why people are let go. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying we have no context, and you're not exactly hiding your personal feelings. You saying "And yes, they handled everything wrong" is not insider information.
By EJLambert
He's an extra. I have no love for Recaster McRecaster face either, but I don't blame Feigco for making him an extra with no lines. He showed up for the casting call after all.
Last edited by EJLambert on October 18th, 2016, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
I...don't even recognize him. If he was the "face of the fandom" then I missed it.
By pferreira1983
SpaceBallz wrote:
The upside: there's no way in hell Sony will let something like this happen again. This project will be used as examples of what NOT to do in the future.
Don't be too sure. This is Sony and their track record for taking in criticism has never been that good.
Skyknight wrote:You're right in the sense that it didn't harm anyone. But it makes it pretty clear that they were pushing for "Girl Power" to be their main selling point. And that just didn't work out the way they planned!
They should've put more work into the script and then search for a cast, not choose a cast and then write a quick, dirty and cheap story around them.
I think that photo basically shows the mentality we've had to deal with. Fieg and co wanted so much to push their politics they ended up misrepresenting the males who actually worked on the movie. Oh well, it all backfired in the end and this photo certainly didn't help.
Commander_Jim wrote:Just going back to King Kong, it got its first remake 40 years after the original in the 1976 film, and that movie was absolutely hated on by fans of the original, even though it did ok with critics (sounds familiar..).
Thing is from what I remember the 70s movie was a faithful remake, they didn't really change much apart from the technical aspects. The new movie is totally different as it was a complete reboot rather than a remake. Actually I'm not sure I even know what it was (Feig probably doesn't either) but needless to say the 70s King Kong film was much better because at least it was a direct remake.
Alphagaia wrote:There is no mention of Girl Power in the movie. The picture is a testament to the situation in Hollywood, but you do not see it reflected in the movie.
The picture is a feminist f you to the males working in Hollywood and considering Feig's stance on males generally yes without having characters outright say "we hate males" there is definitely a negative attitude towards males.
deadderek liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
The way the theatrical release was edited I did not feel that it had a negative attitude towards males.

There were some scenes filmed but not included that had this negative attitude but I feel these were filmed when there was so much going on in the internet that these scenes were a response to all the negative comments they were getting.

If day after day after day you were being called nasty names or worse you want to fight back or get even and I these scenes were their response. Thankfully these scenes were not included in the theatrical release as it would have given those who hated the movie even more ammunition to their belief that the movie is anti-male.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By goldenhawk
JurorNo.2 wrote:
goldenhawk wrote: I'm saying we have no context, and you're not exactly hiding your personal feelings. You saying "And yes, they handled everything wrong" is not insider information.
No context? Now Elaine, did you get that information from the alien at the Holiday Inn, Paramus?
By JurorNo.2
How can I get information when I'm still waiting for context? ;)
By Alphagaia
pferreira1983 wrote:The picture is a feminist f you to the males working in Hollywood and considering Feig's stance on males generally yes without having characters outright say "we hate males" there is definitely a negative attitude towards males.
Saw the Extended cut last day with My 12 year old nephew and my mother. We all laughed and he loved Rowan's final form, disliked Stay Puft, but loved the Slimers and the Dean flipping the bird. My mother was against a female GB at first but she laughed throughout and said it's different but funny.

Neither of us felt the movie was for girls and did not feel a negative attitude to males. Maybe it's because the movie has people being mean to the GB for believing in ghosts not because they are women, we also have a bunch of normal male side characters like the museum guys, the mayor, Patties uncle, Cabby Dan, the newsanchors, Erins dean who don't belittle them for being women (he is almost giving her tenor until he hears she believes in ghosts), and we also have females acting dumb or mean like Lady Eldridge, the mayor's flunkie, the hotel clerk and the female professor at the start.

The eye sees what it wants to see, I guess?
JurorNo.2, 80sguy, MonaLS liked this
By pferreira1983
Alphagaia wrote: Saw the Extended cut last day with My 12 year old nephew and my mother. We all laughed and he loved Rowan's final form, disliked Stay Puft, but loved the Slimers and the Dean flipping the bird. My mother was against a female GB at first but she laughed throughout and said it's different but funny.

Neither of us felt the movie was for girls and did not feel a negative attitude to males. Maybe it's because the movie has people being mean to the GB for believing in ghosts not because they are women, we also have a bunch of normal male side characters like the museum guys, the mayor, Patties uncle, Cabby Dan, the newsanchors, Erins dean who don't belittle them for being women (he is almost giving her tenor until he hears she believes in ghosts), and we also have females acting dumb or mean like Lady Eldridge, the mayor's flunkie, the hotel clerk and the female professor at the start.

The eye sees what it wants to see, I guess?
Ok glad you enjoyed it. :)
By goldenhawk
JurorNo.2 wrote:How can I get information when I'm still waiting for context? ;)
Context? How is this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php

F-busters is already falling out of the top 20 in sales after two weeks of release. Clearance bin by Black Friday.....
deadderek, HunterCC liked this
By JurorNo.2
goldenhawk wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:How can I get information when I'm still waiting for context? ;)
Context? How is this:

F-busters is already falling out of the top 20 in sales after two weeks of release. Clearance bin by Black Friday.....
Don't look at me, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Star Trek Beyond.

Look, if/when Ghost Corp declares bankruptcy, I'll be glad to shake hands and move on.
By goldenhawk
JurorNo.2 wrote:
goldenhawk wrote: Context? How is this:

Don't look at me, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Star Trek Beyond.

Look, if/when Ghost Corp declares bankruptcy, I'll be glad to shake hands and move on.
Sony is not going to declare bankruptcy. Sony and their execs would just shutdown and close Ghost Corps.

More "context" on how much pain F-Busters caused Sony and their shareholders (like me).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... xit-943529

Seriously, if it wasn't for F-Busters, Sony would have had a good 2016 summer movie season.
HunterCC liked this
By JurorNo.2
If it wasn't for fans losing their minds over a trailer you mean...
By goldenhawk
JurorNo.2 wrote:If it wasn't for fans losing their minds over a trailer you mean...
The issue with the trailer was minuscule compared with the stupid decision to green-light the reboot dumpster fire. The whole project screamed financial losses at the onset of the reboot and Sony's financial partner knew it and backed out.
HunterCC, SpaceBallz liked this
By JurorNo.2
Dumpster fire, lol. I'm glad this is your biggest problem in life. Goodbye.
By SpaceBallz
I like how the OP post had a disclaimer that said "I don't want to rain on their parade over at the GB16 forum so let's talk here" yet the GB16 fans are here being triggered and engaging the people that hated the reboot.
pferreira1983 liked this
By goldenhawk
SpaceBallz wrote:I like how the OP post had a disclaimer that said "I don't want to rain on their parade over at the GB16 forum so let's talk here" yet the GB16 fans are here being triggered and engaging the people that hated the reboot.
True. How very true.

I also find the whole "no context" statement is being interpreted as "denial of the F-Busters failure". LMAO.
Ghostbusters Day 2024

formally announce there will be more comics tease […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]

A Victorian Ghostbuster

Since September I put up a new shop building, and […]