Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Peter33vr wrote:Another angry mail was in March when he found out that Sony was shopping around for a new director and new ideas without him knowing. "I thought we were still producing the Cohen script??? I'm incredibly pissed".
Yes this is the one I'm talking about. The press connected Paul to a reboot while they were still negotiating and seeing if they would do two movies with Paul directing both or not. There are two instances when secrets leaked or got wrongfully interpreted by the press. I only remember it being a leak to the press however, not a director who told Ivan.
One of the Russo bros did expressed doubt to write a script while Feig was attached as they are friends and he did not want to overstep any boundaries, but I do not remember Ivan being pissed about that. I'll look up the documents when I'm home!
I'll clarify:

-March 2014: Reitman gets wind of Sony shopping for director and ideas. Feig isn't in the cards and the press doesn't leak it. The director calling Reitman is mentioned only in the mails between Reitman, Pascal and other Sony heads.
Reitman says he's pissed because this is happening THE VERY NEXT DAY HE AGREES TO STEP DOWN.

-August 2014: a site reports the possibility of Feig directing an all female reboot.
This is Sony who's pissed: they haven't figured out where to put Reitman because Feig is insisting to have REITMAN PRODUCING FEES.
Aykroyd is furious, Sony start panicking: "they can still block everything".

October 2014: Sony and Feih goes to the press to confirm the new movie will be an hard reboot featuring female leads, despite Reitman asking to wait a little more until they have a solid script.

So, as you can see, it's not the press who caused problems (their only leak was in August), it was Sony who's been not so kind and honest.
Kylie Griffin liked this
Here is the proof Paul and Ivan had a friendly meeting and agreed to do a reboot:
Begin forwarded message:
Subject: Re:
Date: October 21, 2014 at 5:27:32 AM PDT
To: "Pascal, Amy" <Amy_Pascal@spe.sony.com>

Yeah, we had a nice meeting with Ivan. I’m open to everything and heard all his ideas. I didn’t commit to any but took away his headlines, some of which I agree with and others that I don’t. But he gets the reboot and that this movie will take place in a different world from the original. He just is looking for nods to the old movie, which Katie has been wanting to do anyway. Will there be as many nods as Ivan would like? Probably not. But at this point, I just want to see how our first draft shakes out and what it can hold and what it can’t and then we’ll take it from there. But the bottom line is that we heard Ivan and he made it clear that he wouldn’t get in our way, that he would definitely weigh in on things but that in the end, the decisions were ours to make. We’ll see if he sticks to that but for now he feels heard and respected and it was good to get inside his head. I genuinely like him and he remains one of my comedy directing heroes. So, all good at the moment. But we will make this movie our own. It will be a full reboot.
This is your idea of Ivan being against a reboot and hating on Feig?

And if you want to hear it from Ivan himself he responded positive in a small e-mail and promised to call Pascal about it.
Email-ID 146526
Date 2014-10-16 09:36:20 UTC
From pascal, amy
To ireitman@montecitopic.com
Email Body
Raw Email
Just arrived back in la
So happy

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

> On Oct 15, 2014, at 8:48 PM, Ivan Reitman wrote:
>
> Sorry I couldn't respond until now, but lunch with Paul went very well. I like the set up he's pitching and we had a very friendly and hopefully very constructive conversation about how it should develop. I can give you more details on the phone tomorrow.
> Fly safe, Ivan.

>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Oct 15, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Pascal, Amy wrote:
>>
>> In Washington
>> Home tomorrow
>> How was paul
>>
>> Sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

It gets leaked on around August 2014 that Paul Feig will direct Ghostbusters while Dan knows nothing of this. Ofcourse he is pissed and wants more information. Problem is, the deal with Paul is NOT completed yet so the leak is only half right at that moment. Ivan tries to calm Dan down. As he is not pissed about this information, it seems he at least knew about Sony reaching to other directors.

Proof:
Re: Fwd: Paul Feig in Talks to Direct
'Ghostbusters' Comedy Reboot
It was leaked by someone close to the project. THR reported Feig, then Variety one upped them.
So much speculation on this franchise. When we close the deal, we'll position it our way and tell our story first exclusively.
This is amateur hour with these guys. I'm getting into it further.
Jean Guerin
Senior Vice President, Media Relations
Sony Pictures Entertainment
_____
To: Guerin, Jean
Sent: Sat Aug 02 12:52:24 2014
Subject: Fwd: Paul Feig in Talks to Direct 'Ghostbusters' Comedy Reboot
how did thoes f**** get this!!!!!
its such a big deal to be reported this way
Begin forwarded message:
Date: August 2, 2014 at 12:30:55 PM PDT
To: "Pascal, Amy" <Amy_Pascal@spe.sony.com>
Subject: Paul Feig in Talks to Direct 'Ghostbusters' Comedy Reboot
Paul Feig is being courted to direct a "Ghostbusters" comedy

Proof of Ivan soothing things over with Dan:
150847 2014-08-07 23:03:32 Re: dan ackyroyd pascal, amy deluca, michaelbelgrad, doug ireitman@montecitopic.com
yep for sureOn Aug 7, 2014, at 3:57 PM, DeLuca, Michael wrote:
Amy I have to fill you in on dan’s reaction to the leak that ran on Saturday, it opened the well with dan who's on a warpath now, ivan has been dealing with it a little bit but is there any way you can meet with dan in toronto? We think just a studio love session will make it go away. That leaked really f**** us at a sensitive time
Anyway call me or ivan for details

Then, two months later as the deal is completed another thing happens which does make Ivan angry.
A newsitems changes the wording of an interview to use the word reboot which makes Ivan as he states it 'Extremely pissed'. He wanted to keep that option open until a script is completed, and has only heard Feigs outline as of yet. Amy is worried Ivan not wanting anything to do with the reboot now so Feig and him meet to talk story. So the final two emails about it are send.

Proof Ivan wanted to keep it a secret as of yet:
I disagree with the last phrase: "that is not a sequel to the original two films". Why is this necessary to announce today prior to anything being written? I'm also unhappy that I'm immediately being cast as antagonistic to Paul's
idea before we've had any substantive creative meetings.
Let's start the creative work with a positive and open mind and see where it leads us. There is no need to give too much information at this time.

So in short: Ivan helped sooth Dan over when Dan got pissed about the first leak about feig being courted for GB16.
Ivan got pissed about an interview already stating it is going to be a reboot, thx to the earlier press release, while a script has not even been written and he has only heard an outline from Feig script.

Proof that Ivan is pissed about a second news item (and not a director who told him something) and Sony explanation about the news altering the agreed upon story.
Re: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
Who even knows that's the pitch beyond us and JK? Ivan. Gregory McKnight. Paul. Anyone else?
Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:03 PM
To: Minghella, Hannah
Cc: Pascal, Amy; DeLuca, Michael
Subject: Re: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
We have a problem.
On Aug 2, 2014, at 3:02 PM, "Minghella, Hannah" <Hannah_Minghella@spe.sony.com> wrote:
Really... how does this level of specificity just leak to the press?
Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:56 PM
Subject: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
'Ghostbusters 3' Targets Paul Feig as Director
The Hollywood Reporter: Breaking News

http://link.hollywoodreporter.com/518927f8191b2a64
In the official announcement two months later the press f**** them over again and called it a reboot, because of the leak earlier. So, again, not Sony's fault.
Fwd: 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Lands 'The Heat' Writer Katie Dippold (Exclusive)This is not what we agreed on. I'm incredibly pissed.Ivan
Sent from my iPad
Re: 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Lands 'The Heat' Writer Katie Dippold (Exclusive)
I completely understand Ivan but one thing to keep in mind is the editor and reporters sometimes change language to suit their headline needs and we don’t have a lot of control over how they ultimately write these stories up.This stuff is just sideshow stuff, the real stuff is when you and paul get together, nobody who buys a movie ticket reads this crap anyway it’s all besides the point
Paul and Ivan get together for a meeting to talk about the movie more. They both are happy after that meeting as we can see from the first quote in this post.
Last edited by Alphagaia on December 10th, 2016, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Peter33vr wrote:Ivan was pissed in MARCH, when Sony started searching for directors.

By October he and Dan were already given producers position and Ghost Corps to guide, so of course they were happy.
In May Ivan was getting the disturbing calls thing. He was not pissed then, though he wad uncertain, he thought they would wait on Chris Lord and Phil Miller to respond. Amy was considering the other options just in case and keep things rolling.

This was the list of possible directors in March:

Re:
GB:
CHRIS AND PHIL
PAUL FEIG
ADAM MCKAY
TODD PHILLIPS
JAY ROACH
WILL GLUCK
GREG MATOLLA
JUDD APATOW
MATT AND TREY
SETH MCFARLINE
BRAD BIRD

And this the email Ivan send:
Email-ID 153820
Date 2014-03-20 01:36:14 UTC
From mailer-daemon
To ivan
Email Body
Raw Email
Re: disturbing calls....
I'm getting in inning calls
They are agents
Of course we are waiting for chris and Phil
Do u think I'm nut
Amy

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 6:35 PM, "Ivan Reitman" <Ireitman@montecitopic.com> wrote:
>
> We’ve been getting some unsettling calls from some agents today.
> Sharon Jackson said you were soliciting new takes from her clients; CAA said you were out to Paul Feig.
> Are we not still waiting for Lord and Miller?
> I thought we were going to make the Etan Coen draft? And that I was producing the film?
> It sure feels weird to hear about this the day after I resign publicly from directing.
> Ivan
It proofs Chris and Phil Miller were on the top of a list, and when it would not work out, Paul Feig would be next. Ivan asks them if they already dismissed Lord and Miller and if they were going for another draft. Amy says they are still waiting and using the draft from Coen. Ivan also seems unsure about producing but I'm not sure why. I shall look into this further.

After the Lord and Miller thing had not worked out Ivan actually helped meet and talk to some of the other directors in March, though at that time all parties were still going for a sequel. Ivan was the one talking to Feig, but he turned a sequel down, as did all eligible directors they thought could do the job.

Proof Ivan helped searching for new director who want to read the Coen script in April:
Re: GB directors
Email-ID 70504
Date 2014-04-17 23:35:16 UTC
From abell@montecitopic.com
To doug_belgrad@spe.sony.comireitman@montecitopic.com, amy_pascal@spe.sony.com, michael_deluca@spe.sony.com, jonathan_kadin@spe.sony.com, anna_kelly@spe.sony.com
Email Body
Raw Email
Re: GB directors
Ivan connected with Hamburg, Feig, and Ruben. All of which want to read.
Are you sure you are not confused with him being pissed about the two news leaks?
Re: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
Who even knows that's the pitch beyond us and JK? Ivan. Gregory McKnight. Paul. Anyone else?
Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:03 PM
Cc: Pascal, Amy; DeLuca, Michael
Subject: Re: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
We have a problem.
On Aug 2, 2014, at 3:02 PM, "Minghella, Hannah" <Hannah_Minghella@spe.sony.com> wrote:
Really... how does this level of specificity just leak to the press?
Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:56 PM
Subject: Source: 'Ghostbusters 3' to Be Reboot Focusing on Female Ghostbusters
The Hollywood Reporter: Breaking News

http://link.hollywoodreporter.com/518927f8191b2a64
In the official announcement two months later the press f**** them over again and called it a reboot, because of the leak earlier. So, again, not Sony's fault.
Fwd: 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Lands 'The Heat' Writer Katie Dippold (Exclusive)This is not what we agreed on. I'm incredibly pissed.Ivan
Sent from my iPad
Re: 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Lands 'The Heat' Writer Katie Dippold (Exclusive)
I completely understand Ivan but one thing to keep in mind is the editor and reporters sometimes change language to suit their headline needs and we don’t have a lot of control over how they ultimately write these stories up.This stuff is just sideshow stuff, the real stuff is when you and paul get together, nobody who buys a movie ticket reads this crap anyway it’s all besides the point
Why is ever one acting like The karate kid reboot , Arthur Christmas, Goosebumps, Angry Birds, men in black 3 , sky fall , spectre , the social network or even Django Unchained never happened and Disney only has hits not like the Alice films , john carter, the lone ranger or all those direct to DVD films like Cinderella III (cause nothing says I know the audience better than a back to the future time travel plot in Cinderella lol)
JurorNo.2 liked this
Kylie Griffin wrote:Specifically, I am referring to Sony Pictures since other studios seem to be doing just fine. When it comes to franchises that already have an established fanbase, should studios do more to open up channels of communication with fans prior to the release of the movie, or are the fans considered such an insignificant number of overall moviegoers that it's not worth the effort to seek their opinions?
I mentioned this before somewhere that studios have a problem balancing needs towards fans. If you listen to the fans too much you get a bad film everyone wants to succeed called The Force Awakens and if you don't listen to fans at all you get Answer The Call. There needs to be intelligent people in charge who can manage both. Is Hollywood really out of touch. Yes because they love remakes and reboots, they've run out of ideas. However they see remakes and reboots as a current Hollywood ideas trend so they'll run with that. Read below my answer to Alpha for a bit more info on that.
Alphagaia wrote:Well, let's be fair here: Disney are retelling their old stuff with Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars and Jungle Book as well.
Star Wars, Marvel and live action versions of movies is what is making Disney money. If a studio has a trend that makes money they'll continue to milk it regardless of what the some people want.
SpaceBallz wrote: ATC will be used as a blueprint for future projects over at Sony of what NOT to do.
But do they learn from their mistakes?
SpaceBallz liked this
SSJmole wrote:Why is ever one acting like The karate kid reboot , Arthur Christmas, Goosebumps, Angry Birds, men in black 3 , sky fall , spectre , the social network or even Django Unchained never happened and Disney only has hits not like the Alice films , john carter, the lone ranger or all those direct to DVD films like Cinderella III (cause nothing says I know the audience better than a back to the future time travel plot in Cinderella lol)
Some of those are valid criticisms on people's perceptions. But really? Cinderella III? That movie came out in 2007 and all of that direct to DVD crap was from previous management. They curtailed all that a while back.
Sav C liked this
MagicPrime wrote:
SSJmole wrote:Why is ever one acting like The karate kid reboot , Arthur Christmas, Goosebumps, Angry Birds, men in black 3 , sky fall , spectre , the social network or even Django Unchained never happened and Disney only has hits not like the Alice films , john carter, the lone ranger or all those direct to DVD films like Cinderella III (cause nothing says I know the audience better than a back to the future time travel plot in Cinderella lol)
Some of those are valid criticisms on people's perceptions. But really? Cinderella III? That movie came out in 2007 and all of that direct to DVD crap was from previous management. They curtailed all that a while back.
Iron man was 2008 people still compare it. 10 years is not that long in film. Previous management shouldn't matter as people still list the films when Walt was alive as proof Disney is good.

My point was just every company has bad and good. No matter who. Disney have made The lion king just as much as they made bolt.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
The fact Miley Cyrus can't act and sounds like the only 10 year old (that's the age her character seems) that smokes a pack a day. The fact its Disney 3d and just fails compared to their pixar stuff , the fact the story plays out in the most obvious way. Bolt just is not good.
SSJmole wrote:The fact Miley Cyrus can't act and sounds like the only 10 year old (that's the age her character seems) that smokes a pack a day. The fact its Disney 3d and just fails compared to their pixar stuff , the fact the story plays out in the most obvious way. Bolt just is not good.
You can have your opinion I guess. But, why in the world are you comparing Pixar to Disney Animation Studio?
MagicPrime wrote:
SSJmole wrote:The fact Miley Cyrus can't act and sounds like the only 10 year old (that's the age her character seems) that smokes a pack a day. The fact its Disney 3d and just fails compared to their pixar stuff , the fact the story plays out in the most obvious way. Bolt just is not good.
You can have your opinion I guess. But, why in the world are you comparing Pixar to Disney Animation Studio?
Both are Disney both are 3d animation.
Studios should never listen to the fans. It should be about what the casual audience wants, otherwise it would become too self-referential and alienate viewers who may not have seen Ghostbusters before. Any new Ghostbusters movie now should be about introducing a new audience to the franchise.
JurorNo.2 liked this
RichardLess wrote:Just an FYI the Spidey reboot is being funded by Sony but creative control was given to Marvel and Kevin Feige. If that movie turns out to be a big hit, and Sony's only big hit in years, it will only show how truly incompetent they are. They needed another studio to step in and take over. Embarrassing.

Saying WB is constantly rebooting Batman is hyperbole. There has only been one rebooted Batman franchise so far. Another isn't due for a few years. The last Batman only film came out in 2012. Batman V Superman features a new Batman actor but I wouldn't call it a Batman movie. Maybe that's splitting hairs but saying they are constantly rebooting it is hyperbole. Sony has had three actors playing Spiderman in the last 14 years. In that same time period WB has had two Batman's

I think Sony is the only major studio without a Billion dollar worldwide movie. That again speaks to their incompetence.

Disney is not only releasing hit after hit, they are hits with both critics AND audiences. Sony has yet to release anything resembling a hit this year(or last).

I mean come on. Any studio that greenlit White House Down with a budget of almost 200 million is just insane, especially when a movie with a similar storyline, Olympus Has Fallen, came out months before and was made for less than 100 million.
Ghostbusters 2016 was also a hit with critics.
Also its weird that people are like "Sony never listens" "we want spidey in the mcu" Sony works with marvel to put him in the mcu "hahaha Sony needs another company"

Also if the movie is successful its only cause of marvel. If it fails its cause of Sony.

Did anyone think this is why they don't listen? They give is what we wanted and its still spun to make them look bad lol
JurorNo.2 liked this
SSJmole wrote:Also its weird that people are like "Sony never listens" "we want spidey in the mcu" Sony works with marvel to put him in the mcu "hahaha Sony needs another company"

Also if the movie is successful its only cause of marvel. If it fails its cause of Sony.

Did anyone think this is why they don't listen? They give is what we wanted and its still spun to make them look bad lol
It's school yard bullying. No matter what you do, the group of mean girls starts giggling, "OMG, I can't believe she just DID that! LMAO!!!!" Those types of fans put a hex on the movie and nothing Sony, Feig, or even Reitman tries to do will ever be good enough for them. Even after the cross over comic was announced yesterday, people on Facebook were saying various forms of "Too bad you didn't put it in the movie. I won't read it!" You can't please them because they don't want to be pleased.
SSJmole liked this
I don't have an issue with it, i'm actually looking forward to the cross over. A proper passing of torch.
This is what I would like to see Ecto Force start out as. They made the tmnt crossover fun so I would hope they can leave politics out of it. Hell, it would be nice if we got to see a live action version of this with look alike actors playing the original GB's.
JurorNo.2, ghostJAR liked this
I'm going to say, I will forever admire ATC for having the guts to say, "Your childhood is over, you're an adult now, here is something new and different." A much braver move than Disney and its comforting fan service. I'm sorry more fans couldn't see that. I think more will start to as they see it on DVD (I'm already seeing a lot of fans regret they listened to the bad word of mouth).

That said, the ATC characters can only benefit from exposure to their Ghostbusting ancestors and I am excited for the upcoming comic crossover. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm going to say, I will forever admire ATC for having the guts to say, "Your childhood is over, you're an adult now, here is something new and different." A much braver move than Disney and its comforting fan service. I'm sorry more fans couldn't see that. I think more will start to as they see it on DVD (I'm already seeing a lot of fans regret they listened to the bad word of mouth).

That said, the ATC characters can only benefit from exposure to their Ghostbusting ancestors and I am excited for the upcoming comic crossover. :)
The movie didn't say that. It's just a strange interpretation you took from it.

How did you perceive the message, "Your childhood is over, you're an adult now... blah, blah, blah" when the humor in ATC is considerably more juvenile and immature?
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm sorry more fans couldn't see that. I think more will start to as they see it on DVD (I'm already seeing a lot of fans regret they listened to the bad word of mouth).
That reminds me of Claire's quote from Scrooged:"That's the one good thing about regret: it's never too late. You can always change tomorrow if you want to."

While I slightly agree with Kylie that the movie didn't say that, I'm curious how she, assuming she still hasn't seen the movie, came to the conclusion it didn't say that.
Last edited by Sav C on December 22nd, 2016, 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kylie Griffin wrote: The movie didn't say that. It's just a strange interpretation you took from it.
The movie also never said that it hates men , but there you go.
Kylie Griffin wrote:How did you perceive the message, "Your childhood is over, you're an adult now... blah, blah, blah" when the humor in ATC is considerably more juvenile and immature?

The difference in humor can actually be attributed to you getting older when more juvenile (or people witha broader joke spectrum) people lap it up.
Sav C liked this
timeware wrote:Your deniability of FF's contribution to the negative campaign on 2016 continues to amaze me when there's solid evidence they were involved.
I never said they are not involved. It's a movie with 4 females in the main lead which lead to high controversy.
Of course they are involved.
Involved and orchestrated by Feig to create a huge uproar are two entire different things, however.
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm sorry more fans couldn't see that. I think more will start to as they see it on DVD (I'm already seeing a lot of fans regret they listened to the bad word of mouth).
That reminds me of Claire's quote from Scrooged:"That's the one good thing about regret: it's never too late. You can always change tomorrow if you want to."

While I slightly agree with Kylie that the movie didn't say that, I'm curious how she, assuming she still hasn't seen the movie, came to the conclusion it didn't say that.
Because I know a lot about this movie, from the insider leak to countless negative reviews online, nobody ever mentioned that the movie overtly or subtly suggested its underlying message was Your childhood is over, you're an adult now. The whole "ruined childhood" trope has been way overused by probooters. I'm not saying those words were never uttered by critics, but the majority of the complaints were about the quality of the film or lackthereof, not their childhoods.
Alphagaia wrote: The movie also never said that it hates men , but there you go.
Doesn't change the fact that Paul Feig has reiterated that he thinks women are funnier than men and the movie takes several jabs at masculinity, as some sort of retribution for women being underrepresented in Hollywood and underpaid, as well as sexualized, victimized, and brutalized for millennia by tyrannical menfolk. Paul Feig has described his political motivations numerous times. His loyalties did not lie with making a faithful Ghostbusters installment with respect to the franchise. He is almost purely driven by his political values.

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]