The proxxon one just seems stronger as the key parts aren't made of plastic. I looked at the KOBE ones too but someone bought me one as a present from a different make. Much cheaper than the KOBE but streets ahead of the Dremel press even so.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of mine but here it is on my workbench which is the same depth and height as a standard kitchen worktop:

With regards to the metalwork, my advice would be take it slow, make sure you have plenty of light to work by and make sure you punch the hole locations accurately, as it will help the drill stay on track. They can still wander off especially in smaller sizes so again take it slow! Oh and get good quality drill bits, as the cheaper ones don't run true I find.
Mate that's awesome - thanks for sharing :cool: Man I'm jealous...I've decided that I will have to go the bench drill press route if I'm going to have any chance at all at an accurate job - yours looks like a similar dimension to the KOBE press (dimensions are 525mm x 250mm) which actually might be doable size-wise, but I don't have a dedicated workspace area, which is the real problem. It also weighs a hefty 39.5kg! I'm seriously considering it though.

Regarding your helpful advice, that's exactly what I'll be doing, I'm not rushing anything. I'll follow all those steps and the drill bits I have/am still getting are professional standard HSS bits from a UK supplier in Nottingham.

Thanks again :wink:
Last edited by barison82 on November 30th, 2016, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not having a dedicated work area can be an issue, I could never manage all the metal work I do at home. Metal work is messy with swarf all over the place, but I hope you can manage to get something setup lad, will keep checking up on this ;)
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Not having a dedicated work area can be an issue, I could never manage all the metal work I do at home. Metal work is messy with swarf all over the place, but I hope you can manage to get something setup lad, will keep checking up on this ;)
Hi OCP, I know, it's a real problem! I would get some big dust sheets to cover the area where I'm working, I'd have to put the drill on top of one of our cabinets in the front room, which are around waist height, but I wouldn't be able to keep it there permanantly, which means I need storage space for it. I'll try to work something out! Thanks for your support :)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
barison82 wrote:
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Not having a dedicated work area can be an issue, I could never manage all the metal work I do at home. Metal work is messy with swarf all over the place, but I hope you can manage to get something setup lad, will keep checking up on this ;)
Hi OCP, I know, it's a real problem! I would get some big dust sheets to cover the area where I'm working, I'd have to put the drill on top of one of our cabinets in the front room, which are around waist height, but I wouldn't be able to keep it there permanantly, which means I need storage space for it. I'll try to work something out! Thanks for your support :)
Hey Alex, I wasn't sure if you've looked into any local Maker Spaces in your area, but that's always a good option when strapped for equipment/workshop space. Just recently I discovered this space near me (http://themanufactory.us/our_shop/#equipment), and have signed up for some classes!
Hi IDDQD, many thanks for this thoughtful suggestion, just checked it out and it looks like a really cool idea...one problem however; I'm based in London, UK, so this won't be possible for me lol [emoji6]

I'll see how I get on though because I might be able to get away with a bench drill press...
IDDQD wrote:Hey Alex. Did a quick search on Maker Spaces in London.. DUDE. Totally an option!

My example was purely meant as to whats out there. Being in one of the greatest cities in the world has to mean there are TONS of options available.
Lol really!? Never heard of those, so that's great, I'll have another look at it, cheers [emoji4][emoji106] Oh yeah I know there are lots of places where you can do part-time courses/evening courses etc. I am considering it, but I really want to get my own drill to practise on as well [emoji6] Thanks for the heads up though!
Ok so here is another update, a major step forward with the arrival of some key parts...aluminium trap doors and side plates!

There has been a hell of a lot of work going on in the background for the last 3 months or so in getting the doors made, as I have been in consultation with Chris (CPU64) and damster117 over details which at first I hadn't considered, and there has been a lot of deliberation over these details; at one point I was worried that we were going to really p*ss CPU off with all this lol...

The lengths that Chris went to in order to give us a truly accurate representation of the GB1 Hero trap doors (as seen in the Propbay photos) were phenomenal (none of which was expected) as he went to great effort to demonstrate that an offset centre line does exist when the doors are closed, due to the 'step' where the doors meet, the measurement of the pockets and the depth of the margins either side of these pockets on the undersides. He demonstrated this by creating a CAD image superimposed onto the propbay photo which shows the doors in the open position. He then simulated the position of the centre-line by rotating the doors to their closed position from the screw fixings as the centre pivot, as shown below:

True centre-line is shown in yellow; the actual position of the doors and their join when closed is shown in red.

This experiment reveals that there is indeed a slight offset in the centre-line; it's a trick on the eye that the join appears as dead-centre, especially when they have the warning stripes applied!

Here is the result of that CAD work:

The doors were fabricated from .25" thick aluminium (6mm), with the step being 1/8" (3.175mm) deep halfway through the .25" alu. The centre-line is offset by 2.5mm. Overall dimensions are shown in the picture below (provided by damster117) and are from Nick-A-Tron's resin GB1 Hero kit:

To see how they look when mounted on Nick-A-Tron's kit, check out damster117's build thread

This was the first set that CPU made based on his CAD, and when he sent me these photos I agreed hands-down that they are indeed a very close match! I fully appreciate that all the information above may not be anything new, but I have covered it in detail for the benefit of anyone who is just starting out on a project like this, such as myself, and is unaware of these details.

These doors are a work of art and I'm so grateful to Chris for making them. He drilled and tapped all the holes and also installed the pins. I'm even more grateful for the side plates because he made those for me free of charge! What a guy. Thanks a million dude [emoji4][emoji106]

Cosmetic plates - side plates, front plate and the 2 smaller plates for side knob & tear-drop knob. Dimensions are:

> 2 main side plates: 205mm x 72.5mm
>
> smaller plate for the tear drop dial knob: 70mm x 55mm
>
> the smaller plate for the Heathkit knob: 42.5mm x 62.5mm
>
> front plate is 78mm x 68mm with the cut out for the indicator box being 27mm x 57mm

All plates are made using 2mm aluminium

These parts have been made using measurements from Nick-A-Tron's resin kit, which I will be getting in the New Year. This will probably be the last update before then, so I would like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and a truly awesome New Year...hopefully more exciting times ahead lol! [emoji4][emoji122][emoji322][emoji319]☃️[emoji318][emoji106]
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 9:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Those doors and plates are incredible. CPU64 has absolutely nailed those man. Enjoy!!

Merry Christmas bro
Hi! Thanks a lot mate - I cannot wait to get these installed :) A few more parts to nail then it's construction time! Merry Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year :cool:
CPU64 wrote:You guys should see what a bench top drill press looks like next to ms Bridgeport and Mr Kurt :)
Lol I can only imagine! In the New Year I'm getting my hands on a Kobe bench drill press which should fit snuggly in our front room, although I know I'm pushing my luck here...
damster117 wrote:Fairly small I would imagine! Whilst I could fit a full size drill press in my work shed, I'd have to stand outside as it only measures 8'x8' :)
Lol now that would be a funny sight!
barison82 wrote:
CPU64 wrote:You guys should see what a bench top drill press looks like next to ms Bridgeport and Mr Kurt :)
Lol I can only imagine! In the New Year I'm getting my hands on a Kobe bench drill press which should fit snuggly in our front room, although I know I'm pushing my luck here...
How much is it going to cost you? Could you consider a mini mill instead?
Lovely work on the doors cpu, and thanks for the info Alex, will come in handy when I try and make my own ;) Happy Christmas all!
barison82 liked this
damster117 wrote:Indeed! My neighbours think I'm strange enough as it is though I'm sure!
Lol! My missus has begun to think the same of me, with the constant arrival of packages containing funny little knobs, switches and plastic tubing...
CPU64 wrote:How much is it going to cost you? Could you consider a mini mill instead?
It's actually quite affordable - just under £200 (roughly $250) and the drilling speed range is 425 - 2545rpm, with a 500W motor. Suitable for workshop or light industrial use...Spindle taper is MT2 and chuck/drill capacity is 16mm. Has telescopic chuck guard and laser beam target guide for quick positioning of repeat work. It weighs a hefty 40kg! Looking at the dimensions it should be ok - it just looks like a really decent bit of kit for the money :)
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Lovely work on the doors cpu, and thanks for the info Alex, will come in handy when I try and make my own ;) Happy Christmas all!
You're welcome mate - glad you like the doors and that the info has come in handy for you, as you are putting together a truly stunning aluminium build of your own which is really setting a standard! Merry Christmas :)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
So I've just spent the best part of 10 hours fixing all the dead photo links in every post I've made in the last 3 years - no thanks to Photobucket. I'm sure a lot of other members on here will have been negatively affected by their recent change in user policy.
I've been wanting to make an all aluminum trap. I have built a 3d printed one, but wanted one with an eject able inner trap. Been looking at Throwing Chicken's kit, which I most likely will pick up, but my long term goal is to build an all aluminum trap. I have access to a CNC machine through work (although I've never seen it cut metal only wood, so it might fail miserably)and I also have access to various drafting programs including AutoCADD since I'm and Engineering Design Technologies student. My biggest set back has been accurate measurements of the GB1 Trap. So some of these images have been extremely helpful. Thank you.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]