Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Doctor Venkman
idfraser wrote:Is it legal and within eBay's rules to sell a product that you don't have in your possession, nor even the foggiest notion on when it's coming?
People do pre-orders all the time. I believe you technically have to be able to guarantee delivery within 30 days, but that's not regulated at all.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 29th, 2016, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote
By TimsGhost
And the Anovos proton pack delivery date has been pushed back again... and again without any notification, except for just randomly checking the site. It is now Q2 2017. Starting to smell suspicious.
ccv66 liked this
By ccv66
I seen that awhile ago.. I was hoping it was just because the first order was filled and that q2 was for the secound batch. But we all know that's not true. Being delayed bugs me, but what really scares me is that it has been this long and they still dont have a kit to display. If i was to guess , designing a pack to be compatible with their upcomimg electronic kit would be the hold up.
By Prydonian
I'm taking the plunge. From reading this thread, the people behind the pack have all the credibility I need to feel confident in the final product.

I've dealt with Anovos before, in ordering one of their Star Trek TNG uniforms, and I've found their customer service to be remarkably responsive and communicative both through their site and Facebook page. And I asked a lot of questions... they would have been arguably justified in being less patient, but they never failed to reply helpfully. And the quality of the uniform was enough for me to take their claims of dedication to accuracy at face value.

I know people have experienced serious delays with some of the Star Wars items, and they have every right to be frustrated, but to my mind it's par for the course. I have never yet pre-ordered any item of any kind from anyone and actually had it be released on time. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to relatively small companies and niche markets. If it gets bumped, I won't be upset until a year has gone by. So I'm going for the pack kit!
By idfraser
I smell a Star Trek Battle Replica repeat, I was very stoked when I heard about the "Trek First Contact Picard Variant Phaser Rifle" and other Star Trek replicas that they were planning to release in 2014, they were not pre-order items but nonetheless, they promise the future sale of these items and then never come true to their word. Right there, as a man whom runs a business, I would never deal with a company that does something like that, "It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!" to quote the great Jackie Chiles from Seinfeld.
By Prydonian
This is a totally different situation, though. Many collectible companies do that... they reveal a product they want to produce in order to gauge whether there's enough interest to make it worth laying out the capital to develop it. If they get a lukewarm response they don't go any farther. Actually offering it for pre-order is a much later stage of development. There's no implied contract in saying, "Here's a thing we're planning to do."
Henners liked this
By AmazonChitlin
Here is the letter in full:
As we draw closer to releasing our Ghostbusters Proton Pack Kit to customers, we want to extend a special thank you for your patience during the development of this challenging kit.

Since we announced the Proton Pack last year, our team has had to go back to the drawing board so that not only are we meeting the high standard of accuracy we set for ourselves, but to insure that the DIY kit builder will have a rewarding time assembling and painting this iconic piece of film history.

Late last year, we were able to visit the Sony archives for an in depth and hands on look at the surviving screen used props. While on site, we digitally scanned three of the existing packs, including Venkman's "hero" pack (the pack worn by Bill Murray during close up shots in the film). Using digital modeling and 3D printing, we were able to break down the pack into sub-assemblies that omitted many of the tedious and complex steps that would have been originally required. We remained faithful to the packs warping and asymmetrical forms, present in all three variants, while idealizing certain pieces critical to the integrity of the packs overall structure. We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to not only archive and exhaustively document these props, but to also translate this directly into the finished pieces for our customers.

Many of you have asked about the difficulty and time needed to complete the kit. We are confident that we have streamlined the kit into a single weekend project (approx. 16 hours) at most. The part count is still a work in progress but we anticipate no more 45-50 pieces. These range from small elbow fittings up to the main shell of the pack.

Now that we are moving along and fine tuning remaining details, we are thrilled to announce that the kit will be shown at our booth for Wondercon in Anaheim CA March 31-April 2. We will be sharing updated shipping estimates as we approach the show, stay tuned for more details!

Sincerely,
The ANOVOS Production Team
Last edited by Kingpin on March 16th, 2017, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: added quote code
By Kingpin
From looking at the screenshots and the original video, it looks pretty accurate. I think there's only one or two details that have, or may've been changed, but I'm not furnished with the reasoning for the change.
By twmedford23
Aside from the larger than accurate motherboard, ribbon cable clamp and shock mount, that looks pretty spot on. If that is indeed representative of their final kit, then it might not be a bad idea to jump on this, especially for only $600. Any news on the ship date? Is is still Q2 or has it been pushed back again?
By Doctor Venkman
pferreira1983 wrote:I wonder how accurate it is to the actual props. The pricing will probably give that away.
The pricing has been public for a long time. It is $600 for the kit.
twmedford23 wrote:Aside from the larger than accurate motherboard, ribbon cable clamp and shock mount, that looks pretty spot on. If that is indeed representative of their final kit, then it might not be a bad idea to jump on this, especially for only $600. Any news on the ship date? Is is still Q2 or has it been pushed back again?
I think they said in the video "by the end of 2017."
By deadderek
Braz wrote:On the site, it's still Q2. I hope they maintain that release date.
IIRC the original date was Q4 2016. I've heard they're notorious for pushing back release dates like crazy.
Braz liked this
By Kingpin
twmedford23 wrote:Aside from the larger than accurate motherboard
Larger as in thicker?
twmedford23 wrote:and shock mount
The Shock Mount doesn't look off, is it something in particular about it that looks wrong?
By twmedford23
Kingpin wrote:
twmedford23 wrote:Aside from the larger than accurate motherboard
Larger as in thicker?
twmedford23 wrote:and shock mount
The Shock Mount doesn't look off, is it something in particular about it that looks wrong?
The motherboard looks like it's 1/4th of an inch thick, but like Demon mentioned, it's probably to aid in durability if it's a 3D printed piece. I realize now that I should have worded my post a little better, but the shock mount looks a like it might be a tad short but it could also be the angle of the shots. Everything else looks fantastic.
By ccv66
The pack is priced cheap enough where you could upgrade parts and still be cheaper then most other options. Guessing it will be easier to assemble for first time builders too...
Do you think they'll have to use real clippard valves? Seems like there would be some legal issues if they made their own / used clippards logo and put it on the pack
By Styrofoam_Guy
There is another video on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ANOVOS/) by Ghost Corp (March 31 post) with a more detailed description of the pack and it does look like they are doing great job. They even mentioned that they have a few more items that need to be made more accurate.

Definitely a good price if you are just getting into the fandom.
Braz, twmedford23 liked this
By rgamble84
idfraser wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
I'd avoid that, it's common for people to list items that are on pre-order on eBay when they don't actually have any guarantee they'll have it for the date they've advertised.
I messages the guy captrob8423, here is the conversation;

Ian: If I order the Proton Pack when will I get it?

captrob8423: End of January, beginning of February

Ian: I don't understand, Anovos has not announced it's kit release date yet it just says Q1 2017, how can you guarantee this delivery time frame?

captrob8423: I see, well they keep changing the dates. If anything I can make one from scratch. I've made three before and thought the kit would be cheaper for people wanting a full pack

Ian: Thank you

I felt like a guy at a used car lot! Is it legal and within eBay's rules to sell a product that you don't have in your possession, nor even the foggiest notion on when it's coming?

I'm offering to assemble a full ANOVOS kit with lights and sound. I've had a few people ask me to assemble their pack for them because most people don't have the time or the patience to do so. So please if you have any questions ask instead of assuming I'm trying to get over on anyone.
By Kingpin
rgamble84 wrote:I'm offering to assemble a full ANOVOS kit with lights and sound. I've had a few people ask me to assemble their pack for them because most people don't have the time or the patience to do so. So please if you have any questions ask instead of assuming I'm trying to get over on anyone.
You've mentioned in another thread that due to your financial circumstances, you were opting to sell the Proton Pack you currently owned in order to pay for food and rent. Based on that, I don't really see how you're in the financial position to be potentially buying multiples of the Anovos kit. And even taking into account you'd be doing the bulk of the legwork, I'd be surprised if you'd find many customers willing to pay nearly 4x the Anovos listing price to have it assembled for them.

I'm not saying in this case you're trying to scam anyone, but I think what you're offering is unrealistic.
By Braz
Kingpin wrote: You've mentioned in another thread that due to your financial circumstances, you were opting to sell the Proton Pack you currently owned in order to pay for food and rent. Based on that, I don't really see how you're in the financial position to be potentially buying multiples of the Anovos kit. And even taking into account you'd be doing the bulk of the legwork, I'd be surprised if you'd find many customers willing to pay nearly 4x the Anovos listing price to have it assembled for them.

I'm not saying in this case you're trying to scam anyone, but I think what you're offering is unrealistic.
Besides, for anyone wanting a built pack, they just have to wait a little longer, since Anovos claims they will be selling those as well in the future.
By rgamble84
Kingpin wrote:
rgamble84 wrote:I'm offering to assemble a full ANOVOS kit with lights and sound. I've had a few people ask me to assemble their pack for them because most people don't have the time or the patience to do so. So please if you have any questions ask instead of assuming I'm trying to get over on anyone.
You've mentioned in another thread that due to your financial circumstances, you were opting to sell the Proton Pack you currently owned in order to pay for food and rent. Based on that, I don't really see how you're in the financial position to be potentially buying multiples of the Anovos kit. And even taking into account you'd be doing the bulk of the legwork, I'd be surprised if you'd find many customers willing to pay nearly 4x the Anovos listing price to have it assembled for them.

I'm not buying multiple kits at once, I make them as ordered. I haven't worked in two years so don't presume to know what my financial situation is. It's there as a service for the community and anyone who has questions. Also I accept best offers. I've been scammed on there before and if I can do something to prevent that from happening to someone else I will. I make sure everyone is happy with what they get, and if they're not I make sure they are. I love this community and making it better. I don't like that I have to come and defend myself in these chat rooms.
By Kingpin
rgamble84 wrote:I haven't worked in two years so don't presume to know what my financial situation is.
When you're asking people to pay over $2,000 to employ you to provide a prop assembly service, for a kit that is a not inconsiderable sum for some members in its own right, it is not unreasonable to question the financial stability of things of what you're proposing.

I've been unemployed, the longest period I went through was over a year or so, so I do know some of what you've gone through, and going through. Speaking from my own experience, a $600 prop replica kit isn't something I feel you should be spending money on when, based on your other post, it would be better put towards your food and rent. I'd also strongly urge you not to rely on the prop building gig to be your main source of income, if that is your plan, because it is not a reliable strategy.
We had a member on here a number of years back who wasn't employed, and hung the majority of his income on a multi-use electronics kit he was developing. In the end he had to be banned from this forum because he left several of his customers in the lurch without the products they'd paid for.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I sympathise with your situation, but I am concerned about what forum members here could be getting into by making use of the service you're offering.
twmedford23 liked this
By rgamble84
Also if you count the alice frame, paints, tools, lights and sounds, plus whatever extras I try to upgrade to (vibration and extending barrel) depending on what the actual kit is capable of doing it's more like 3x ($800-$900 not including shipping). That's not including the painting, wiring, and assembling that goes into it. Anovos said they would be including the extending barrel, but they told me that six months ago and we won't really know if it does until they release it.
By pferreira1983
Doctor Venkman wrote:The pricing has been public for a long time. It is $600 for the kit.
Not bad I guess although the word 'kit' conjures up scary thoughts of me trying to assemble this.
Kingpin wrote:When you're asking people to pay over $2,000 to employ you to provide a prop assembly service, for a kit that is a not inconsiderable sum for some members in its own right, it is not unreasonable to question the financial stability of things of what you're proposing.
I've asked the British Ghostbusters Fans in the past what the price of a pack would cost and they said about £2000.
rgamble84 liked this

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]