By jhusel
First I want to say thank you to all of the great build threads here, and awesome reference pics. It's nice to be able to find everything in one place. I had a Proton Pack years ago, traded it, and have regretted it ever since. So I finally decided to build my own. I still have a ways to go, but it's getting there. I hate waiting on parts to arrive, but that's what I get for buying parts as I sell props to fund this project.

Jonobiwan, Xandrew Bull liked this
By jhusel
Thanks! The inspiration from some of the packs I've seen here is phenomenal! I've so many cool tricks I want to add to this, it's very exciting to see!
By xyster101
What? I feel like I just watched the stay puft exploded and it is over. Do you have build pictures?
Those are some nice shots of a sweet looking pack. Details!
By jhusel
Thanks guys. I put a few stickers on tonight. I'm at a stopping point until I get some more parts in. Everything is ordered tho.

I do have a few build pics, I'll upload and post some tomorrow. What an awesome project!!
By jhusel
So I'm not the best at taking progress shots, when I'm working, I get caught up in getting it done and forget. But I did take some.

First, here is the fiberglass shell I started out with. Not bad, but did require some filing, filling, and sanding to true things up some. You can see where I needed to bondo the N-Filler in the first pic. There was a recessed area all the way around it here.

Got some parts in and started drilling and tapping them to fit on the pack

Then started attaching all of the parts so I could disassemble and start painting. The ribbon took more work than I thought to get it where I wanted it.

Here are a lot of the add-on pieces painted in a low gloss black, automotive finish. And reference pages I printed off from here to see how things line up.

Then I masked off parts of the pack that should be smooth and textured the pack with a Paintable Spray On Bedliner. Removed the masking tape and sprayed the whole thing low gloss black to match the parts. I like the liner I got, it wasn't rubbery. (Ignore the ugly holes on the Ion arm...ugh. But it fits snug and isn't visible)

Now was the fun part, putting everything back together!!

And here is how she sits today. Still have parts I'm eagerly waiting on! I can't wait!! Well actually I lied, I put some stickers on last night. And I will still need to add some welding and details, distressing, etc.
By jhusel
Thank you Sephiroth! I added some stickers and cables. Got in the motherboard and brackets, so I need to mount it all together, run electronics, add some welding, some weathering, etc.

Jonobiwan liked this
By jhusel
Got some more work done. Stickers added, mother board mounted to the ALICE frame, brackets added (drilled, tapped, and riveted), electronics installed, foam pad added...

Still waiting on a few things. Next is to drill the speaker hole pattern, mount the battery pack, then painted the motherboard. Still a work in progress, but getting there! Video coming soon

By jhusel
Ok, finally got to the electronics! I had thought an AWESOME idea would be to have a speaker hole pattern like a radiation symbol. I spent a lot of time working on it, and then to find out someone already did it on this board. LOL Great minds I guess..... ha

I got the motherboard all cleaned up and ready to paint. However, I decided to go with a powdercoat finish since we have a place here in town that does that. And here is a short video of the electronics! It's ALMOST done!!
https://youtu.be/cMYppDtFpKo
By jhusel
I finally finished! I decided I couldn't wait any longer and machined my own Ion Arm end cap. For the motherboard, I decided against paint, knowing that it would look terrible after a while. So a I had a local company powder coat it for me yesterday, turned out great!!

So here are the final pics!
ccv66, twmedford23, jacklawyer and 2 others liked this
By jhusel
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yep, had it on backwards! Classic newbie mistake lol

I know I still need to do a few things, add some welding lines on the N Filter, etc. and straighten up the bumper (didn't notice until the pics), and add the new wiring harness for charging the battery, then mount it on the wall.
By Theoderic
jhusel wrote: February 15th, 2017, 7:26 am I finally finished! I decided I couldn't wait any longer and machined my own Ion Arm end cap. For the motherboard, I decided against paint, knowing that it would look terrible after a while. So a I had a local company powder coat it for me yesterday, turned out great!!

So here are the final pics!

Really another epic build - it's totally awesome! Congrats on this! :crunch:

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

Proton Props UK

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a quick update on […]

Ecto Containment Unit

First off awesome work!!! second of all where did […]

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]