Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By GBfan_CH
I did saw [sic] GB2 in the cinema. I would have been nine. My dad took me because I wouldn't stop pestering him about it. He did not enjoy himself.

Even as a nine year old, I knew it wasn't a classic. But I loved it all the same. Just wish we'd had a third, fourth, and fifth!
By Sayscalled
Saw it in summer of 89, while on vacation in FL. At the time, we weren't allowed to see Batman, but the sting was alleviated by getting to see my Saturday morning and weekday afternoon heroes on the big screen for the first time. Seeing as it had been awhile since I saw the original, I was surprised and a bit disappointed to find out that it had the same continuity as the first film and little call back to the cartoon. I can appreciate that now, especially with the IDW Comics.

My now-wife took me to the 30th Anniversary re-release of the original, years later. So I can finally say I saw both in the cinema.
By EctoPrimer
Oh hell yes!
I remember watching the Opera special, and getting myself to the theater. Everyone knew I was going, and no one could hold me back.
By Ecto716
Yes. And my parents took me to see it about 6 times because I was so obsessed with it despite Janosh's glowing eyes scaring the Heck out of me!
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:If not for Batman GB2 would have grossed over $200 mil for sure.
That reminds me. When my buddies (Craig included, see my story on previous page of thread) and I all went to see Batman '89 on opening night, I wore a hand-painted T-shirt of the EVERYWHERE YOU LOOKED THAT SUMMER Bat-symbol inside a Ghostbusters red-circle-and-slash.

The cashier at the theater, already tired of the hype machine, said "I like that shirt!", which was a very Venkman thing to say.

A lot of cool things in my life happened in 1989, come to think of it.

I guess hindsight is crystal clear.

Alex
By JA Slow
I envy all those who have and yearn for the day when a theater has the balls to show it. Maybe even a double-feature. It's been very easy to see GB1 theatrically over the last few years in mainstream theaters and old ones. When is GB2 gonna be given a shot? It won't be that bad in terms of sales.
JA Slow wrote:I envy all those who have and yearn for the day when a theater has the balls to show it. Maybe even a double-feature. It's been very easy to see GB1 theatrically over the last few years in mainstream theaters and old ones. When is GB2 gonna be given a shot? It won't be that bad in terms of sales.
What I've noticed is when audiences get bored with something financially a studio will give another film a spotlight in an attempt to get more profit.
I saw it in theatres in BC, Canada, I think. I don't remember much about the day, to be honest. I was 5 so memories are shoddy. But I have very vivid memories of seeing the ooze come up through the pavement in the second shot of the film. Here's how I recall the rest of the day... My Granddad and I were hanging out together and walking down the street, past one of the local theatres. I saw the poster for it and I convinced my Granddad that we should go see it and I wouldn't be too scared or anything (I think I had seen the first one by then). It turned out to be starting soon enough that we went in. As the movie progressed, everything was fine till Winston, Ray and Egon got sucked into the river of slime. That was it for me. Got too scared and asked my Granddad if we could leave. So we did.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By MooreUpp
I probably have seen Ghostbusters 2 in theaters more than any other movie ever. I was very into The Real Ghostbusters, but hadn't seen the first. My parents took me to my aunts (who had it on video tape) to make sure I would like first movie before taking me to see 2nd movie. I saw it and loved it. At the time there was a cheap $1 theater nearby too and remember going couple other times with my dad. Watching it then the most vivid memory that sticks with me was the river of slime.

Other things I remember about the movie at the time. Big Bear had Ghostbuster cookies, getting the toys that went with it, having a Ghostbuster birthday cake that year.

Maybe partially because of those memories from when I was 5, the 2nd movie has always been as high to me as the first. I'll grant the conclusion of the 1st was higher, but I prefer the court scene to the hotel and the build-up in the 2nd to the first. Most my family is similar and it never occurred me 2 didn't have as good of a reputation among others until the new version came out.
By Chris Brewin
Oh yeah! I forgot about the merch! One of the gas stations in town had a whole bunch of GB2 glassware; I had a glass that had one of the Scolerri (sp?) (Tony, I think) brothers on one side and the GB2 logo on the other. I had it for years; I have no idea what happened to it, though.
By roopjm
I saw Ghostbusters 2, the day after opening night, with a group of friends what were all HUGE Ghostbusters fans, we were 8 years old and younger. I remember walking past the large Batman cardboard cutout in the lobby and saying "What's Batman?"

I'm sure I saw it several more times with my Dad, because he was awesome. He passed away earlier this year. When I was younger I would watch Ghostbusters every day after kindergarten and first grade, and I would take notes and record the dialogue on a tape deck; I had this crazy idea that I could alter their voices to say my own dialogue, since I was always trying to make my own Ghostbusters movie, he would come home from work and sit on the floor and watch it with me, and I have him on tape asking "What's she gonna do? is she gonna get him?.. AHHH Scary!" He was the best.
twmedford23 liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]