By askernas
After following countspatulas 3d files, and making the metal sides myself from 0.8mm thick aluminium, this is where I'm at.

The pedal needs a bit of paint work still, but it is winter and cold outside, and I ran out of black paint just before Christmas =p

Instead of running a wire through the hose and modifying the connectors, I have simply added a small remote control, located in the right box, that is triggered when I press the pedal. Inside the trap will be the receiver and other electronics, just wanting for smaller sprockets..

This will be fully automated as well =)

https://vimeo.com/197080995
GBDRE760 liked this
Not very far along one mine, but I finally got enough parts to start test fittings. Nothing here is held together by screws yet, just sorta leaning together.

Although I may have to replace the gold parts. I work at the local library and used the 3d printer there to make this. Since I was gonna putty, sand, and paint most of the parts anyway, so I just used what was left over from other patrons project. The red and green parts turned out OK, but the gold parts have been cracking when doing test assembly. So a slight set back there.
I have to say this trap kit looks amazing. I started printing some parts over the weekend. I was curious about the handle and handle frame. The chart says to use increased infill. I normally print with 20%. I'm just curious as to what others have used. Would 50% be enough or should I go even higher.

Thanks,
Adam
countspatula wrote:Glad your like my kit. You shouldn't need to go a lot higher 50 should be more than enough. I usually do 30-35
Thanks for the advice. I will post pictures when I have all the parts printed.
thebigone2087 wrote:Any update on the electronics kit?
I just finished the guides for the Door Mechanism and Smoke Pump and putting kits together. I am about halfway through the Electronics Guide which I will sell at a modest fee. I will be releasing the Door and Smoke Guides free and they do include a parts list. They will also be integrated into the Electronics Guide along with the Deluxe Trap Guide that has been tweaked to go along with electronics install.

I will most likely be releasing the Door and Smoke Guides within a week as well as the kits (depends on when rest of the parts arrive). While the door and smoke mechs can be assembled and fitted before the electronics, full integration won't be covered until Electronics Guide is done - just something to keep in mind. But with the standalone guides and the modular nature, you should be able to make them work with your own custom electronics too.

That's awesome!

What's the two ecigs that are needed?

countspatula wrote:Electronics Guide update - all the photos have been taken, all the steps are worked out. Have about half the guide written, working on it this week.

Apparently Joyetech has discontinued this line of e-cigs completely - I have not found my exact replacement yet. Search for 'automatic refillable' and look for a starter kit which will typically have 2 e-cigs, charger, etc. Automatic (pressure activated) tend to be the cigarette shaped ones we're looking for.
Awesomesauce
countspatula wrote:My wife kindly spent the weeknd building a set of Trap electronics based on the first draft of my guide - went well, she had fun - got good feedback. Some more pictures and a round of revisions, but looking good. Soon!

countspatula wrote:Apparently Joyetech has discontinued this line of e-cigs completely - I have not found my exact replacement yet. Search for 'automatic refillable' and look for a starter kit which will typically have 2 e-cigs, charger, etc. Automatic (pressure activated) tend to be the cigarette shaped ones we're looking for.
I used Halo eCigs for my trap and they worked out well. They have a starter kit which comes with enough parts for two eCigs.

They are little bit wider than the Joytech so when I snapped them into the trap I think I cracked the clips slightly but overall a good option. There is a plastic cap with a hole that goes into the atomizer which is also where you draw the smoke from. The small tube from the pump can be fed sniffly throughly there for an air tight for with an additional set of tubes. It makes refilling easy to since you can remove the cap and the hose can stay in cap.
Just bought the entire Shabang from Sean on Etsy. I need the arduino coooode! . I can reverse the engineer the wiring from th code and photos. I feel I’m a little too close to Halloween to design something myself.
Jeff
I've been printing this over the last few weeks, I'm at the stage now where I've used filler and about to prime. my biggest issue however is finding the appropriate screws to piece it all together. I'm in Australia and all the screws in the hardware list are in Imperial vs the Metric system used here.

Combined with my limited knowledge on screw terminology I'm unsure what the" 4x" part of the 4x 3/16 socket is in the description, is that a length? diameter? I would have assumed it was Quantity except there's already a separate column for that.

I've searched my local Bunnings (large hardware store chain here in Australia) for these types of screw but they don't seem to stock them. Are they found at electronics stores? auto shops? or specialized screw suppliers?
Greetings! The Trap's designer here - US screws are - screwy - ahem. Smaller sizes go by a whole number so #4 x 3/16 is a number 4 screw diameter 3/16" long. Once they get big enough in diameter they go by fractions - I know - silly. Many times there is pretty close approximates in metric. Metric screws are typically listed as M2 x 10 for example - 2mm diameter x 10mm length. If sourcing locally I would recommend Googling a US - metric conversion chart and getting closest equivalent. The amount of hardware needed is tough to round up even here which is why I started offering hardware kits, check them out if interested.

Sean
https://charlesworthdynamics.etsy.com
WetWired liked this
countspatula wrote:Greetings! The Trap's designer here - US screws are - screwy - ahem. Smaller sizes go by a whole number so #4 x 3/16 is a number 4 screw diameter 3/16" long. Once they get big enough in diameter they go by fractions - I know - silly. Many times there is pretty close approximates in metric. Metric screws are typically listed as M2 x 10 for example - 2mm diameter x 10mm length. If sourcing locally I would recommend Googling a US - metric conversion chart and getting closest equivalent. The amount of hardware needed is tough to round up even here which is why I started offering hardware kits, check them out if interested.

Sean
https://charlesworthdynamics.etsy.com
That looks perfect, I'd probably easily spent that much on screw, not even including the time figuring out the local conversions and driving around finding them. Plus I'm happy to give back somehow for all the time you've spent designing the kit. I just placed my order. (Order #1249973511)

I'd love to get the Deluxe hardware kit but can't really justify spending that much unfortunately.

Off topic, I noticed your giant LEGO classic space computer, I'm a bit of a LEGO nut myself (Created the LEGO Ghostbusters Ideas set, worked on the LEGO Batman movie), I do custom minifigs and recently did some electroplated chromed classic spacemen (http://www.wallercustoms.com/)

If you're interested in any of those perhaps we could arrange a trade for a deluxe hardware kit? If not, no worries, I've put in my order for the screws and plan to spend my weekend prepping and priming my
By AlexC
I purchased the deluxe hardware kit for my trap build and could not have been happier. The sheer number of parts included and the amount of time it cuts down searching for them online was worth the $210. Can not recommend it enough.
By tommyb345
Agreed!
AlexC wrote:I purchased the deluxe hardware kit for my trap build and could not have been happier. The sheer number of parts included and the amount of time it cuts down searching for them online was worth the $210. Can not recommend it enough.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]