Discuss the new Ghostbusters movie to be released in 2016, directed by Paul Feig.
By HunterCC
#4891591
Sav C wrote:I still haven't seen any of the Oscar nominated movies yet. This year seemed to have a good selection. I hope to get around to watching as many Oscar picks as I can.


Not aware of every movie nominated. La la Land was pretty good. Wouldn't call it Ocsar worthy, but might be the best Oscars type movie I saw last year. (I don't think Deadpool or Rogue One had a fair chance for best movie, though I wish they did just for entertainment value not sophisticated acting lol)
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
User avatar
By Sav C
#4891592
HunterCC wrote:Not aware of every movie nominated. La la Land was pretty good. Wouldn't call it Ocsar worthy, but might be the best Oscars type movie I saw last year. (I don't think Deadpool or Rogue One had a fair chance for best movie, though I wish they did just for entertainment value not sophisticated acting lol)

One of my friends told me they saw La La Land and liked it a lot. I like Emma Stone so I want to see it sooner rather than later. They should have a category that's more blockbuster friendly, I mean Ghostbusters really did deserve an Oscar! For instance it really deserved an Oscar for costume design. Amadeus is a great movie, but is it really fair to give a period piece an Oscar for costume design? It'd be nice if they gave costume design out to the most creative costumes, like the Ghostbusters jumpsuits. Maybe split the category, Best Costume and Most Creative Costume. Same for many of the other categories. It's cool it got two nominations though.
Alphagaia, HunterCC liked this
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4891603
Plus, with lady Aldridge, they had their own little period piece (no pun intended) going on there.

I really loved that design.
Sav C liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
#4891608
I thought Moonlight was a bit slow at times and I do not think it deserved to win. I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

La La Land was pretty good. Fences I found a bit slow but Denzel Washington did an excellent job. HackSaw Ridge was a good story. Arrival was ok. I could not get through Lion. The other 2 I have not seen yet



HunterCC wrote:
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:If it gets some more kids and parents to watch the movie then win-win.

I do make an effort to watch all the movies that get nominate for The Oscars. Most of them I would not have seen if they were not nominated.


How was "Moonlight?"
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4891613
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).


One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.
By HunterCC
#4891625
Kingpin wrote:
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).


One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.


Here's a pretty good link about the movie vs. history.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelf ... n-figures/

Movies do tend to combine multiple real people to make one fictional character (Kevin Costner), and invent the fictional characters of Parson and Dunst, and make up things like smashing a nonexistent bathroom sign. Because I guess showing more of the actual day to day grind of discrimination and segregation those women faced wouldn't have made as dramatic a movie. I thought Jacksons fight to get into classes was the toughest fight in the movie, and sadly the most realistic and troubling. Like the work they actually did, sitting with a group of people doing math problems, doesn't look exciting even though we would never have gotten to space without it,

Hidden Figures showing the racism those women had to fight, and more people involved in the space program not just the astronauts, was very cool. The link below sums that up well.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... stuff.html

From the link:

"And where was Johnson? As Shetterly’s book makes clear, Johnson performed her calculations at her desk in Building 1244 on Langley’s West Side, far from the control room in Florida. Dramatic license, you might say, to put her at the center of the action in Hidden Figures’ exciting climax. Maybe you’ll shake your head at Hollywood treacle, or see social-justice conspiracies in the movie’s vaunting of its heroine. Me, I prefer to think of that engaging, satisfying sequence as a long-overdue correction: a film finally putting at center stage the people who have remained “hidden” far too long."
User avatar
By Sav C
#4891627
Alphagaia wrote:Edit 2: the cold custard comes very close to home. During her youth, my wife always thought Ray Parker Jr. sang Koos Buster. (Koos is a very generic Dutch surname]

That reminds me, I was meaning to ask you if Alphagaia means anything in Dutch, or if it's a combination of words. Just curious, that's all.
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I thought Moonlight was a bit slow at times and I do not think it deserved to win. I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

La La Land was pretty good. Fences I found a bit slow but Denzel Washington did an excellent job. HackSaw Ridge was a good story. Arrival was ok. I could not get through Lion. The other 2 I have not seen yet

I though Hidden Figures looked really goof from what I've seen. I'm also really interested in watching Manchester by the Sea. That'll probably be the first movie from the Oscars this year that I'll watch.
Kingpin wrote:One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.

I do think they need to take liberties when it comes to making movies about history, that's what makes it engaging. If they do it well enough then that's what intrigues you to go and find the actual, completely factual story. But from the sounds of it I agree with you on this one. Sometimes it's better to just stick to the real events.
By RichardLess
#4891768
I find it hilarious people on this topic are arguing about The Kids Choice awards. This isn't the Academy Awards. It's not even an awards show. It's giant commercial aimed at children. It's about as bottom of the barrel you can get, Christ, even the MTV movie awards have more merit than the "Toy Commercial Awards".
Never change GBfans forum, never change.
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4891774
RichardLess wrote:It's giant commercial aimed at children.


So were/are some cartoons, and while some really are nothing more than an extended toy commercial, some manage to rise above that (I'm not saying the Kids Choice Awards does, mostly I'm saying that it's fairly harmless when all things are considered).
Alphagaia liked this
By pferreira1983
#4891859
Alphagaia wrote:We actually should let kids write more movies:
And they still came up with a better plot than what Feig and Dippold did! :lol:

JurorNo.2 wrote:No, that would be Star Wars fans. And Batman fans. And X-Men fans. And Spiderman fans. And now Power Rangers fans. Etc. Etc. Etc. Thankfully Trekkies are finally saying "Enough!" Lol.

ATC did something original. That is why it got attacked. Period.
Those aren't remakes, they're interpretations. ATC was basically a loose remake or as Paul Rudoff calls it 'a parody remake'.

JurorNo.2 wrote:Some have been better, some have not. And they're not made to be "better." This idea of competition only exists in fandom's minds, not the studios.
You're seriously blaming the quality of remakes on fandom?! Seriously?! Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?!

JurorNo.2 wrote:Wait a minute, first you make a sweeping statement that remakes are generally not better. Then suddenly your beef is about modern Hollywood. Which is it, are remakes in general bad or are current remakes bad?
Both but modern Hollywood is currently in a worse state when it comes to entertainment movies.

JurorNo.2 wrote:Wizard of Oz (1939) was a remake from an earlier silent film.
(facepalms)The 1939 film was not a remake of the silent movies. It was adapted from the original novel therefore an interpretation of what was written on page! :roll:

JurorNo.2 wrote:In order to get a new generation interested. Which they already did, btw, with RGB and GBII. Amazing what short and selective memories fandoms have.
Again those aren't remakes. Do you know what a remake is exactly? I'm sure you're having trouble telling the difference if you're saying a sequel and the animated series are remakes. Also my original point still stands: remaking films isn't most of the time necessary when the original was perfect.

JurorNo.2 wrote:They would do that if they thought it was profitable. But if the brand is already known for being bad, it's hard to turn that around for general audiences.
Meh, that's artistic creativity versus business integrity but even business should be setting some example and trying to think logically about how to approach movies.

JurorNo.2 wrote:And the franchise has weathered that too.
We will see.

JurorNo.2 wrote:You just said far more about yourself than me. None of it flattering. ;)
What? That I don't like rubbish comedy movies?

JurorNo.2 wrote:At the rate this board is going, "we" may end up being just you and him, lol. I hope you're very happy together.
I'm sure you'll blame that on the fandom as well instead of the quality of the product.

Sav C wrote:I remember thinking that it was pretty good.
I found it very underwhelming.

Kingpin wrote:It's not Alpha, it's the studios being less willing to take a punt on something that's unknown.

A remake with a different slant isn't immediately an evil thing that needs to be shunned. I love Jumanji but I also enjoy Zathura. The same basic premise, but with a different spin (also see Battle Beyond the Stars/Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai can sometimes be enjoyable and be able to stand on its own feet.
I totally get what you're saying but Hollywood is so scared to try something original they remake or reboot everything. It gets to the point where they start rebooting or remaking stuff that doesn't need that treatment. Zathura wasn't really a reboot so much as a semi-sequel/spin-off. Battle Beyond the Stars is different in that while influenced isn't a direct remake or uses the original name.

Alphagaia wrote:Also, did you not like remakes like Little Shop, The Thing, Let me in, True Grit, the Departed or Casino Royale? I personally loved those, and I know I'm not alone in this.
Occasionally a remake will be good, my point is that there's far too many of them today. There's no intention of trying something new and calling it something else. The fact that you like endless remakes or reboots is the type of audience Hollywood is making films for which we all unfortunately know is wrong.
HunterCC liked this
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4891862
pferreira1983 wrote:There's no intention of trying something new and calling it something else.


I'll let this link do the talking:

https://www.google.nl/amp/www.thewrap.com/who-needs-sequels-here-are-61-original-movies-were-dying-to-see-in-2016/amp/
User avatar
By Sav C
#4891864
pferreira1983 wrote:
Sav C wrote:I remember thinking that it was pretty good.
I found it very underwhelming.

Well one of my parents told me I should continue watching Stranger Things because it was a lot like Super 8, but I found Stranger Things underwhelming. It's possible I need to reevaluate my opinion on Super 8. If it gets to Netflix I'll watch it again.
pferreira1983 liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4891876
pferreira1983 wrote:Those aren't remakes, they're interpretations.


More like they are the reason the term "soft reboot" had to be created, lol.

JurorNo.2 wrote:You're seriously blaming the quality of remakes on fandom?! Seriously?! Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?!


That does sound ridiculous, which is why I didn't say it.

JurorNo.2 wrote:remaking films isn't most of the time necessary when the original was perfect.


If a movie is perfect, then it can't be hurt by a reboot. So stop worrying.

There's no intention of trying something new


Certainly not from you if you're rationalizing remakes by calling them "interpretations." ;)
By HunterCC
#4891971
I really wonder why Nickelodeon gave GB16 awards. Was it clickbait for the awards show, due to the controversy surrounding the movie, or are there still people outside of the GB fandom and Feig/Sony trying to convince people that GB16 wasn't a failure?
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4891972
HunterCC wrote:I really wonder why Nickelodeon gave GB16 awards.


Maybe... just maybe, some people involved with the Kids Choice Awards thought Answer The Call genuinely deserved to be nominated, and win.

You're spending a lot of time obsessing over the background mechanics of this. It's just a kids award show.
Alphagaia liked this
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4891973
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:I really wonder why Nickelodeon gave GB16 awards.


Maybe... just maybe, some people involved with the Kids Choice Awards thought Answer The Call genuinely deserved to be nominated, and win.

You're spending a lot of time obsessing over the background mechanics of this. It's just a kids award show.


Yeah, it's not that strange a scary comedy about catching ghosts is something that appeals to kids.
Most adults have a problem it's not a continuation, but I don't think kids have that same problem and that was a big hurdle for the biggest portion of the older fans against the movie to overcome.
The kids attachment to the franchise is less seasoned, much shorter, or even non existent before this movie came out.
For them it was just a brand new thing that ticks of a few boxes kids like in a big way.

Besides, apart on some of the adult Forums, the controversy has long since died down.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By HunterCC
#4891998
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:I really wonder why Nickelodeon gave GB16 awards.


Maybe... just maybe, some people involved with the Kids Choice Awards thought Answer The Call genuinely deserved to be nominated, and win.

You're spending a lot of time obsessing over the background mechanics of this. It's just a kids award show.


I was just wondering out loud why people would. The movie just wasn't good, while there were so many others last year that were.

It's just kinda pathetic to call it "Kid's Choice" when it appears kids don't choose the winner in this case.
pferreira1983 liked this
By HunterCC
#4891999
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah, it's not that strange a scary comedy about catching ghosts is something that appeals to kids.
Most adults have a problem it's not a continuation, but I don't think kids have that same problem and that was a big hurdle for the biggest portion of the older fans against the movie to overcome.
The kids attachment to the franchise is less seasoned, much shorter, or even non existent before this movie came out.
For them it was just a brand new thing that ticks of a few boxes kids like in a big way.

Besides, apart on some of the adult Forums, the controversy has long since died down.


Comedy is so subjective, I'll give you a pass on that as far as your personal preference. But calling GB16 scary, even for kids?
http://coub.com/view/fp74y

There really doesn't seem to be any kids attachment to GB16. Not merch, disc or box office, I'll refer back to here:
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4891369#p4891369
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4892004
I heard plenty of adult people saying the movie is scarier then they expected, here and on reviews, referring to the opening, the mannequin, sparky etc. Watching it with my 13 year old nephew confirmed those findings. He loved the movie btw, but eh he looks up to me, so biased opinion.

You are referring back to your old post, but did others not already adres those points?

On top of that, we have the new comic selling out and getting ready for a second print. I think it's time to give the movie some credit instead of theorising everything away as suits trying to make it sell.
Kingpin liked this
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4892005
HunterCC wrote:I was just wondering out loud why people would. The movie just wasn't good, while there were so many others last year that were.


That's your opinion, but it's not one that's shared by everyone.

This shouldn't still be a mystery eight months on from the film reaching general release, but some people actually liked it despite your own personal feelings... that's part of the great diversity that is the human race.

HunterCC wrote:It's just kinda pathetic to call it "Kid's Choice" when it appears kids don't choose the winner in this case.


It's also kinda pathetic to insinuate there's something wrong with people liking it, but hey, we've had to put up with that for over half a year.

Still, it's the awards show as a whole you should be taking umbrage at a whole. not focussing on the fact it awarded something positive to Answer The Call.
Alphagaia liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4892014
HunterCC wrote:I really wonder why Nickelodeon gave GB16 awards.


I'm telling you, you guys need to check out the Tumblr GB fandom once and awhile. They were spreading the word about voting and hashtaging (which also counted) ATC. And many of them are teens and certainly wouldn't be classified as adults.
Alphagaia liked this
User avatar
By featofstrength
#4892042
Sav C wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I found it very underwhelming.

Well one of my parents told me I should continue watching Stranger Things because it was a lot like Super 8, but I found Stranger Things underwhelming. It's possible I need to reevaluate my opinion on Super 8. If it gets to Netflix I'll watch it again.


Ah, Super 8...fondly remembered for its horrible CGI kid vomit.
pferreira1983 liked this
By HunterCC
#4892043
Alphagaia wrote:I heard plenty of adult people saying the movie is scarier then they expected, here and on reviews, referring to the opening, the mannequin, sparky etc. Watching it with my 13 year old nephew confirmed those findings. He loved the movie btw, but eh he looks up to me, so biased opinion.


"Scarier than expected" is pretty vague. Kinda like "Battlefield Earth was better than I thought it would be." Doesn't mean it was scary or good.

Alphagaia wrote:You are referring back to your old post, but did others not already adres those points?


You never refuted it, so for our exchange, no.

Alphagaia wrote:On top of that, we have the new comic selling out and getting ready for a second print. I think it's time to give the movie some credit instead of theorising everything away as suits trying to make it sell.


Good on the comic, if true. I'm just talking about the movie.

Frankly, I'm not sure Nickelodeon is selling anything particular with awarding GB16 anything. I think the disc sales and other merch may be lingering, but nothing big upcoming, right? Except for more tie-ins with the originals.
By HunterCC
#4892044
Kingpin wrote:That's your opinion, but it's not one that's shared by everyone.


Absolutely, just saying as far as the public in general, the numbers I keep referencing are pretty strong evidence. People ultimately vote with their money on whether they like a movie. Dunno if there's a similar expression in the UK, but this side of the pond an apt saying is "dollar voting".

Kingpin wrote:This shouldn't still be a mystery eight months on from the film reaching general release, but some people actually liked it despite your own personal feelings... that's part of the great diversity that is the human race.


And some people like Star Trek Nemesis, or Gods of Egypt, or Zoolander 2, or GB16. And they are all entitled to their opinion, to their personal tastes. I am just questioning any movies like those winning any awards.

Kingpin wrote:It's also kinda pathetic to insinuate there's something wrong with people liking it, but hey, we've had to put up with that for over half a year.


No, when I disagree with someone on whether GB16 is scary, it's about their opinion, not them personally. I'm willing to call out bad behavior when it happens, (see earlier), but we can talk about GB16 without assigning our own personal worth to it, right?

Kingpin wrote:Still, it's the awards show as a whole you should be taking umbrage at a whole. not focussing on the fact it awarded something positive to Answer The Call.


Not sure what you're saying here. I'm not saying Nickelodeon made an exception for GB16, in how they pick awards. Their statement about that appears to be a blanket thing. In this case, it looks like they, and not kids, picked GB16 for said awards.
pferreira1983 liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
#4892045
Adults think differently than children.

I have always found it hard to guess what a child likes or does not like.

I have seen Frozen and enjoy the movie but do not know why it is such a big hit with kids that they have to see it over and over and over and over and over again. I remember going out for dinner and the next table over the kids are watching Frozen on a tablet. If someone could pinpoint what it is about the movie that makes it so popular they would be set for life.

Same with toys. Some will become best sellers and other will not sell at all.

So maybe kids did overwhelmingly voted for ATC at the Kids Choice Awards and maybe kids do find it scarey. Maybe that is why they like it.

HunterCC wrote:
Kingpin wrote:It's also kinda pathetic to insinuate there's something wrong with people liking it, but hey, we've had to put up with that for over half a year.


No, when I disagree with someone on whether GB16 is scary, it's about their opinion, not them personally. I'm willing to call out bad behavior when it happens, (see earlier), but we can talk about GB16 without assigning our own personal worth to it, right?

Kingpin wrote:Still, it's the awards show as a whole you should be taking umbrage at a whole. not focussing on the fact it awarded something positive to Answer The Call.


Not sure what you're saying here. I'm not saying Nickelodeon made an exception for GB16, in how they pick awards. Their statement about that appears to be a blanket thing. In this case, it looks like they, and not kids, picked GB16 for said awards.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4892056
HunterCC wrote:the numbers I keep referencing are pretty strong evidence.


We don't need to get drawn into the numbers debate again, we've already rehashed that plenty of times, and that's not what we were discussing in the topic: not whether Answer The Call was commercially successful, but if it had performed well with kids.

HunterCC wrote: I am just questioning any movies like those winning any awards.


You'd already made your position on the awarding clear, you didn't need to restate it.

HunterCC wrote:but we can talk about GB16 without assigning our own personal worth to it, right?


I would like to, though some fans in the past have been determined to make it personal.

HunterCC wrote:Not sure what you're saying here.


You're yet to name any other awardee from this year's show as being even the least bit suspect, that'd suggest you aren't as motivated by whether there was any fraudulent activity or impropriety with the show as a whole, only that you're motivated by the fact they gave the reboot an award.

HunterCC wrote:Their statement about that appears to be a blanket thing. In this case, it looks like they, and not kids, picked GB16 for said awards.


Nothing's going to sway you from your theory is there? Everything countering it is either insincere or hiding something.
Alphagaia liked this
By HunterCC
#4892095
Kingpin wrote:We don't need to get drawn into the numbers debate again, we've already rehashed that plenty of times, and that's not what we were discussing in the topic: not whether Answer The Call was commercially successful, but if it had performed well with kids.


Aw c'mon. You don't want to to go over the movie flop numbers in new and exciting ways related to kids viewership? :)

Considering the speculation necessary since it's the parents buying stuff not the kids, ok agree to disagree on that?

Kingpin wrote:You'd already made your position on the awarding clear, you didn't need to restate it.


OK.

Kingpin wrote:I would like to, though some fans in the past have been determined to make it personal.


Well, you and Juror have been great, through our disagreements. Thanks.

Kingpin wrote:You're yet to name any other awardee from this year's show as being even the least bit suspect, that'd suggest you aren't as motivated by whether there was any fraudulent activity or impropriety with the show as a whole, only that you're motivated by the fact they gave the reboot an award.


Well, Nickelodeons blanket statement on choosing the awards does apply to all of them, many that were awarded to movies other than GB16. And I have said before I thought it was sleazy. I didn't see the need before to look at other awards, because Nickelodeon actually states the producers ultimately determine the winners.

Kingpin wrote:Nothing's going to sway you from your theory is there? Everything countering it is either insincere or hiding something.


What counters my theory that GB16 didn't deserve an award like the Nick "kids" choice award? Saying, well some people found it funny, isnt really enough. One could apply that same reasoning to say Pixels got ripped off by Nick this year, some people liked it too, Lol.
By Styrofoam_Guy
#4892096
HunterCC wrote:
Kingpin wrote:We don't need to get drawn into the numbers debate again, we've already rehashed that plenty of times, and that's not what we were discussing in the topic: not whether Answer The Call was commercially successful, but if it had performed well with kids.


Aw c'mon. You don't want to to go over the movie flop numbers in new and exciting ways related to kids viewership? :)

Considering the speculation necessary since it's the parents buying stuff not the kids, ok agree to disagree on that?



So of all the kids I have seen with the full GB:ATC costume is it the parents that are forcing the kids to wear the costume or are the kids forcing their parents to buy the costume :)

Yes it is the parents buying the stuff but normally they buy the stuff the kids want. So I guess that means kids like the movie enough to want to dress up as the characters. lol
Alphagaia liked this
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Ghostbusters Day has come and gone, i'm starting t[…]

Gbfans soundboard question

My guess is a faulty speaker. I had the same issue[…]

BenofKent Props on Facebook does scaled down GB1[…]

Submitting a ticket solved my problem when the ori[…]