Discuss the new Ghostbusters movie to be released in 2016, directed by Paul Feig.
By HunterCC
Sav C wrote:I still haven't seen any of the Oscar nominated movies yet. This year seemed to have a good selection. I hope to get around to watching as many Oscar picks as I can.

Not aware of every movie nominated. La la Land was pretty good. Wouldn't call it Ocsar worthy, but might be the best Oscars type movie I saw last year. (I don't think Deadpool or Rogue One had a fair chance for best movie, though I wish they did just for entertainment value not sophisticated acting lol)
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
HunterCC wrote:Not aware of every movie nominated. La la Land was pretty good. Wouldn't call it Ocsar worthy, but might be the best Oscars type movie I saw last year. (I don't think Deadpool or Rogue One had a fair chance for best movie, though I wish they did just for entertainment value not sophisticated acting lol)

One of my friends told me they saw La La Land and liked it a lot. I like Emma Stone so I want to see it sooner rather than later. They should have a category that's more blockbuster friendly, I mean Ghostbusters really did deserve an Oscar! For instance it really deserved an Oscar for costume design. Amadeus is a great movie, but is it really fair to give a period piece an Oscar for costume design? It'd be nice if they gave costume design out to the most creative costumes, like the Ghostbusters jumpsuits. Maybe split the category, Best Costume and Most Creative Costume. Same for many of the other categories. It's cool it got two nominations though.
Alphagaia, HunterCC liked this
By Alphagaia
Plus, with lady Aldridge, they had their own little period piece (no pun intended) going on there.

I really loved that design.
Sav C liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
I thought Moonlight was a bit slow at times and I do not think it deserved to win. I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

La La Land was pretty good. Fences I found a bit slow but Denzel Washington did an excellent job. HackSaw Ridge was a good story. Arrival was ok. I could not get through Lion. The other 2 I have not seen yet

HunterCC wrote:
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:If it gets some more kids and parents to watch the movie then win-win.

I do make an effort to watch all the movies that get nominate for The Oscars. Most of them I would not have seen if they were not nominated.

How was "Moonlight?"
By Kingpin
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.
By HunterCC
Kingpin wrote:
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.

Here's a pretty good link about the movie vs. history.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelf ... n-figures/

Movies do tend to combine multiple real people to make one fictional character (Kevin Costner), and invent the fictional characters of Parson and Dunst, and make up things like smashing a nonexistent bathroom sign. Because I guess showing more of the actual day to day grind of discrimination and segregation those women faced wouldn't have made as dramatic a movie. I thought Jacksons fight to get into classes was the toughest fight in the movie, and sadly the most realistic and troubling. Like the work they actually did, sitting with a group of people doing math problems, doesn't look exciting even though we would never have gotten to space without it,

Hidden Figures showing the racism those women had to fight, and more people involved in the space program not just the astronauts, was very cool. The link below sums that up well.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... stuff.html

From the link:

"And where was Johnson? As Shetterly’s book makes clear, Johnson performed her calculations at her desk in Building 1244 on Langley’s West Side, far from the control room in Florida. Dramatic license, you might say, to put her at the center of the action in Hidden Figures’ exciting climax. Maybe you’ll shake your head at Hollywood treacle, or see social-justice conspiracies in the movie’s vaunting of its heroine. Me, I prefer to think of that engaging, satisfying sequence as a long-overdue correction: a film finally putting at center stage the people who have remained “hidden” far too long."
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:Edit 2: the cold custard comes very close to home. During her youth, my wife always thought Ray Parker Jr. sang Koos Buster. (Koos is a very generic Dutch surname]

That reminds me, I was meaning to ask you if Alphagaia means anything in Dutch, or if it's a combination of words. Just curious, that's all.
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I thought Moonlight was a bit slow at times and I do not think it deserved to win. I think Hidden Figures should have won (of all the movies I saw).

La La Land was pretty good. Fences I found a bit slow but Denzel Washington did an excellent job. HackSaw Ridge was a good story. Arrival was ok. I could not get through Lion. The other 2 I have not seen yet

I though Hidden Figures looked really goof from what I've seen. I'm also really interested in watching Manchester by the Sea. That'll probably be the first movie from the Oscars this year that I'll watch.
Kingpin wrote:One thing I'd heard about Hidden Figures is that the very prominent scene involving the toilet sign didn't actually happen at all, and may've been an invention to enlarge the role the white people at NASA at the time played to break down the racial barriers at the organisation - which is a shame to hear. If scenes like that (and who knows what other elements may've been changed/added) hadn't been included in the film, then I'd agree with you that it should have gotten an Oscar. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to give white people a bigger role than they actually played in historical events just to ensure a movie is more appealing to an audience.

I do think they need to take liberties when it comes to making movies about history, that's what makes it engaging. If they do it well enough then that's what intrigues you to go and find the actual, completely factual story. But from the sounds of it I agree with you on this one. Sometimes it's better to just stick to the real events.
By RichardLess
I find it hilarious people on this topic are arguing about The Kids Choice awards. This isn't the Academy Awards. It's not even an awards show. It's giant commercial aimed at children. It's about as bottom of the barrel you can get, Christ, even the MTV movie awards have more merit than the "Toy Commercial Awards".
Never change GBfans forum, never change.
Arduino and Neo Pixel help

Try uploading one of the simple sample sketches in[…]

You just proved a point that Spaceballs and Feats […]

I dont even know if I've ever seen a picture...

Vinz Clortho Helmet Strap

I wanted to say thank you for the info on the chin[…]