By Kingpin
Unfortunately the side-effect of how well designed and executed the Mattel PKE Meters was that the home-grown efforts dried up. The production stopping on the Mattel line may eventually see the return of fan-made options, but at the moment I can't say I've seen any resin kits listed recently that weren't left-overs from old runs.
NotSabbat liked this
By wishbone
Kingpin wrote:Unfortunately the side-effect of how well designed and executed the Mattel PKE Meters was that the home-grown efforts dried up. The production stopping on the Mattel line may eventually see the return of fan-made options, but at the moment I can't say I've seen any resin kits listed recently that weren't left-overs from old runs.
Gotcha. If I could still get the matty for a reasonable price I probably wouldn't bother, but it seems like a fun project if I could find a good kit to start with. I've seen the iona on ebay but I think I'd prefer to start with something a little bit closer. Thanks for responding. =)
By Kingpin
No worries. I'm in a similar boat to you, as I've got a PKE electronics kit I've been trying to sell for years with no bites.
By Travis Burrell
Im working on building my IONA PKE. Im thinking I can build it for less than a used Matty PKE. If anyone has the kit for sale less than what the Mattys are selling for on ebay, please hit me up. Im really trying to see if anyone has a resin kit for the outside screen and front and back parts.
By wishbone
Kingpin wrote:No worries. I'm in a similar boat to you, as I've got a PKE electronics kit I've been trying to sell for years with no bites.
If I could find a resin kit I'd certainly be interested, but I'm guessing a lot of people would be. What's in your electronics kit? Maybe I'll pick up an iona.
By djsparky
I'll tell you, if there was a resin kit and an electrics kit I'd probably do it. I'd love to find a way to make an electronics kit that used WIFI signals to vary the meters actions. The stronger the signal the more the meter goes off. It would be kinda useful too lol.
By smithincanton
I have an Iona shoe polisher that I want to make castings of to turn into a PKE meter. It'll be a process as I don't want to destroy the polisher. So I have to make casting of the front and back THEN using the casted version, cut it up, fill in holes, polish the heck out of it THEN make a casting of the modified top and bottoms. Four total, two part castings. Eight pores of silicon. Luckily the parting lines of the Iona are straight so I don't need to mess around with clay. Arms would be another thing. Metal? Cast resin with silver paint? I don't know. I'll have to test.

A whole other can of worms is the electronics. I'm good with electronics so I would want to go full out. I always thought it would cool to put in an 9dof sensor so you could get rotation of the PKE and then use that as the activator for the arms. Meter is horizontal, arms are in and it's making a slow beeping. Rise the meter up like you are looking at it and the arms go up and the beeping/lights start going faster! Also a color lcd screen with animations.

Just some ideas.
donchewliano liked this
By J2Metal
I also just bought an Iona. Not only is the super high price keeping me away from the Matty one, but i also love to build my own stuff. Its part of the fun.

I'm scratching my head over the electronics. I have 3d printed the faceplate and arms, so thats taken care of. I used an Arduino when i built my trap but the PKE is much more complex as far as electronics go (my trap is a pretty simple belt hanger with lights, not fully functional). I'm comfortable with code so right now it looks like i'm just going to have to build and wire my own stuff then fight with the Arduino code to get everything working. The Hyperdyne electronics pack costs more than the entire Matty meter so thats not even an option.
EnderWeggen liked this
By smithincanton
I like building my own stuff to. I've almost bought a proton pack shell a few times (still might) but I would like to make my own so I can make my own fiber glass shells. This would be a good way of getting use to working with silicon/resins.
By J2Metal
I thought about casting my Iona just because with all the cutting and shaving its easy to mess up so it would be nice to "prototype" one or 2 and maybe save the Iona, but i know zip about molding and casting. Watched some tutorials and i am not sure it would be cost effective by the time i mess with the silicon enough to get a good mold, then the resin enough to get a good cast. The electronics have me stressed enough not sure i want to add learning a whole new skill set onto this project as well, haha.
By WShawn
During the course of my VERY slow scratch-build of a PKE meter I did a run of resin shells in 2015. I'd be up for selling some of those if there's interest. I wasn't planning to mass produce these since the Matty prop is adequate for the vast majority of users.

These shells are based on a modified Iona I've been working on since the early 90s. I meant it when I said it's a VERY slow build. The modifications are based on these photos a friend of mine took in the early 90s:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42356

I was worried that the modified Iona would be too fragile to carry around so I created silicone molds and resin versions of the shell halves, the plan being to use one of these for the final prop. The casts aren't perfect, but they're useable with some cleanup. I eventually decided to go with the modified Iona for maximum fidelity to the real prop.

I haven't built this to go with any existing kit. My wings are scratch-built, designed to fit into a custom-made piece of aluminum with linkages to two servos. The final prop will have touch switches and (I think) a built-in charging circuit.

The plan is to drive the wings and LEDs using a Teensy Arduino board. I'm no where near a coder, but I was able to cobble together a sketch (with some help) to drive the servos and LEDs, but in late 2015 I decided to add a sound board for sound effects. I have that sort of working, but I was having trouble trigging the sounds correctly, and that's where it's been since then. I've been super-busy with our business, and I've been putting my recent hobby energies into upgrading the lights and other elements of my 1984 pack.

As I wrote, these resin shells aren't perfect. There are some holes that would need filling and flash that needs trimming.

If there's interest in this sort of thing I could arrange to become an authorized seller here.

Cheers.

Shawn
Kingpin, EnderWeggen liked this
By Kingpin
Just a reminder though that you'll need to sort out a supporting membership before anything can be sold here.

Nice looking PKE kits, great detail on the shell pulls.
By WShawn
Kingpin wrote:Just a reminder though that you'll need to sort out a supporting membership before anything can be sold here.
Yes, that's what I meant by becoming an authorized seller. I'll probably become a supporting member anyway since I've derived a fair amount of benefit here.

Cheers.

Shawn
Kingpin liked this
By Chris Brewin
BenofKent Props in the UK is in the middle of designing a 3D printed kit that he'll eventually sell. Thingverse has a set of 3D files already; you'd just need to add the electronics kit that Hyperdyne (sp?) makes. Or at least, that seems to be one of the only ready-to-go options available at the moment.
By WindDrake
I've been looking at the 3D printed files as a project to do after I complete the 3D Printed Gigameter. Could likely adapt a lot from the Gigameter electronics, too. Hm.
By CPU64
Unfortunately I've never seen a kit that was space friendly to the Iona shell. I've been building one for a friend for a ridiculously long time, and had to redo the wiring several times because of poor design. There's just too much in terms of wires and plugs to fit inside the shell.
I have a few modifications noted that would greatly improve the design, in case anyone starts making new kits.
By grogking
I have a pcb design done, but know nothing of soldering. It's based on a pic controller. If there are any electronics gurus out there that would like to help me make it work, that would be cool. I'll share the files with you.
By Ghostbusterfan152020
WShawn wrote: February 6th, 2017, 8:33 pm During the course of my VERY slow scratch-build of a PKE meter I did a run of resin shells in 2015. I'd be up for selling some of those if there's interest. I wasn't planning to mass produce these since the Matty prop is adequate for the vast majority of users.

These shells are based on a modified Iona I've been working on since the early 90s. I meant it when I said it's a VERY slow build. The modifications are based on these photos a friend of mine took in the early 90s:

http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42356

I was worried that the modified Iona would be too fragile to carry around so I created silicone molds and resin versions of the shell halves, the plan being to use one of these for the final prop. The casts aren't perfect, but they're useable with some cleanup. I eventually decided to go with the modified Iona for maximum fidelity to the real prop.

I haven't built this to go with any existing kit. My wings are scratch-built, designed to fit into a custom-made piece of aluminum with linkages to two servos. The final prop will have touch switches and (I think) a built-in charging circuit.

The plan is to drive the wings and LEDs using a Teensy Arduino board. I'm no where near a coder, but I was able to cobble together a sketch (with some help) to drive the servos and LEDs, but in late 2015 I decided to add a sound board for sound effects. I have that sort of working, but I was having trouble trigging the sounds correctly, and that's where it's been since then. I've been super-busy with our business, and I've been putting my recent hobby energies into upgrading the lights and other elements of my 1984 pack.

As I wrote, these resin shells aren't perfect. There are some holes that would need filling and flash that needs trimming.

If there's interest in this sort of thing I could arrange to become an authorized seller here.

Cheers.

Shawn
do you still sell pke kits? may i have one how much?
By WShawn
I still might offer kits if there's interest. I'm still working on my prototype. I hope I can finish it before the fall. The price of a kit would mainly depend on whether I'd have to personally solder everything together or whether I can pay a service to do that or what.
Kingpin liked this
By Ghostbusterfan152020
WShawn wrote: June 25th, 2020, 12:22 am I still might offer kits if there's interest. I'm still working on my prototype. I hope I can finish it before the fall. The price of a kit would mainly depend on whether I'd have to personally solder everything together or whether I can pay a service to do that or what.
Ok how may I purchase a kit? Is there a way I can message you privately to give my address or information you need? Sorry I'm new to gbfans
By WShawn
Ghostbusterfan152020 wrote: June 25th, 2020, 12:29 am
WShawn wrote: June 25th, 2020, 12:22 am I still might offer kits if there's interest. I'm still working on my prototype. I hope I can finish it before the fall. The price of a kit would mainly depend on whether I'd have to personally solder everything together or whether I can pay a service to do that or what.
Ok how may I purchase a kit? Is there a way I can message you privately to give my address or information you need? Sorry I'm new to gbfans
I should have been clear that when I wrote I might offer kits if there's interest I meant general interest from a group of people. It's possible I'd offer kits to one or two people, but the price would be higher in that case.

As I wrote, I have to make sure my prototype is working properly before making copies to sell. I don't want to sell a kit or finished prop that isn't reliable.

I'd also note that I'm guessing the MINIMUM I'd charge for a kit would be $250. For that you'd have to solder all of the parts onto the printed circuit boards, and some of those parts (picoblade connectors) have a very fine pitch. I haven't added up the cost of all of the components and materials.

Once my prototype is done I'll post about it here and gauge interest as to whether people would want kits. If there's enough interest I could look into having completed circuit boards fabricated to eliminate that soldering task. That approach wouldn't be worth the cost or effort if I'm only making 3-5 of these.

Cheers.

Shawn
By ccv66
Hard to find high quality PKEs. I'd just mod the $20 Walmart pke meters while you wait for his kit
By WShawn
ccv66 wrote: June 25th, 2020, 5:40 pm Hard to find high quality PKEs. I'd just mod the $20 Walmart pke meters while you wait for his kit
Yes, should I offer kits they would probably be the most accurate replica of a PKE you could get, so there's no way I could compete with the toys on price. The electronics components alone will add up to around $140. That includes:

Teensy Arduino
Prop shield for sound
Two servos
Tenergy battery charger
Rechargeable NiMH batteries
2-3 custom PCBs
Various LEDs, transistors, resistors, connectors, regulators, switches, wire, etc.

On top of that there's the labor/cost of fabricating the resin shells and wings.

Here's a test of the breadboarded electronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQWdosrXqMU
ccv66 liked this
By ccv66
Probably the hardest Ghostbusters prop to replicate. Even Mattys isn't quite right. Hope you do the kits, be nice to have a quality option
WShawn liked this
By Kingpin
ccv66 wrote: June 25th, 2020, 5:40 pm Hard to find high quality PKEs. I'd just mod the $20 Walmart pke meters while you wait for his kit
Even before MattyCollector came along they were much rarer than Ecto Goggles and Proton Packs... And when Matty produced their effort, it kinda tanked the kit/builder's market.

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]