Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Excluding Times Square, The Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, The Chrysler Building, the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, Central Park, the World Financial Centre, the Statue of Liberty, Columbia University, Grand Central Terminal and The New York Public Library, the yellow taxis and the white/blue police cars, how would you actually describe the non-famous parts of the city? Move away from the landmarks and the wide, long avenues, and you're basically left with just the flavour of a major metropolitan population centre.

What makes New York look like "New York"?
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:Excluding Times Square, The Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, The Chrysler Building, the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, Central Park, the World Financial Centre, the Statue of Liberty, Columbia University, Grand Central Terminal and The New York Public Library, the yellow taxis and the white/blue police cars, how would you actually describe the non-famous parts of the city? Move away from the landmarks and the wide, long avenues, and you're basically left with just the flavour of a major metropolitan population centre.

What makes New York look like "New York"?
Really? Apart from Times Square I didn't notice any of that. Perhaps it's a case of Ivan Reitman doing a better job of presenting New York than Paul Feig because the reboot movie did not in any way look like New York.
Kingpin wrote:I wasn't saying all that stuff was in the reboot, I was asking that if you cut out all that stuff from any given photograph of New York, then how can you actually what is and isn't New York, instead of just another major American city?
Comparing Answer The Call to other films set in New York I notice less of the city, less of the people. It seems less city based, less bustling of people, not what I associate with New York City.
But what is it that specifically makes a street or a block "feel" like New York? Even with all the films that've been shot in New York to-date we have only seen a fraction of the city, so who's to say there aren't parts of New York that could pass for Chicago, or Boston, or even Los Angeles if filmed just right. I'm reminded of how the Docklands doubled for Vietnam in Full Metal Jacket.

Having walked around the real New York, not everywhere in Manhattan is as bustling as Times Square or Grand Central or Fifth Avenue. Even Tribeca around the Firehouse was pretty quiet when I visited it back in 2006. :)
JurorNo.2 liked this
As someone who lives and works there every day, I think part of the disconnect here is that NYC itself has changed a lot in recent years. St. Patrick's just underwent a huge renovation, for instance. Its exterior is now blindingly clean, and the difference is startling. I remember people were literally stopping on the street to comment the first day of the unveiling, lol.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/13/st-patrick ... -facelift/
Kingpin, Sav C, Troy liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:As someone who lives and works there every day, I think part of the disconnect here is that NYC itself has changed a lot in recent years. St. Patrick's just underwent a huge renovation, for instance. Its exterior is now blindingly clean, and the difference is startling. I remember people were literally stopping on the street to comment the first day of the unveiling, lol.

My first reaction was: You mean brown wasn't it's original color? LOL.

They did a really great job, by the looks of things.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
HunterCC wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:As someone who lives and works there every day, I think part of the disconnect here is that NYC itself has changed a lot in recent years. St. Patrick's just underwent a huge renovation, for instance. Its exterior is now blindingly clean, and the difference is startling. I remember people were literally stopping on the street to comment the first day of the unveiling, lol.

My first reaction was: You mean brown wasn't it's original color? LOL.
That was my first reaction as well, lol. Isn't that awful, we just got used to 100+ years of grime, lol.
Sav C wrote:Yeah, the photo on the left, before the face lift, looks like it could be straight out of the first two Ghostbusters movies. The second, cleaned up one looks more like it would fit in the reboot.
Very true, and there's always this big debate, is NYC too clean now, too commercial? I think there are arguments to be made on both sides.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:I think there are arguments to be made on both sides.
Personally speaking It'd be rather one-sided. While yes, I lament the fact things have gotten more expensive in the city, and that more independent, less chain-based businesses have been driven out of Manhattan by skyrocketing land prices and greedy landlords, it may be an acceptable cost to have a city that's cleaner and safer than the "gritty" one of the past that gets a rather rose-tinted recollection. I'm not sure many people who fondly remember the city as it used to be would be so willing to advocate it if they'd gotten robbed in Times Square of the 1980s.

The Cathedral looks great, Central Park is thriving and as safe as it could ever be, the city isn't suffering the level of urban decay or financial ruin that blighted it in the '70s and '80s, the Subway is mostly free of vandalism. :)
Sav C wrote:Yeah, the photo on the left, before the face lift, looks like it could be straight out of the first two Ghostbusters movies. The second, cleaned up one looks more like it would fit in the reboot.
No that's not it. The second photo of the church would have looked fine in the reboot. I think maybe the locations they picked betrayed the fact most of it wasn't shot in New York.
pferreira1983 wrote:
No that's not it. The second photo of the church would have looked fine in the reboot. I think maybe the locations they picked betrayed the fact most of it wasn't shot in New York.
Just curious, do you think it would have looked fine in the originals?
pferreira1983 wrote:I think maybe the locations they picked betrayed the fact most of it wasn't shot in New York.
I don't see why you feel that, as there aren't any glaringly obvious Boston landmarks or locations in any of the Boston filming locations. About the only thing that did stand out for me that I knew wasn't New York-like was when the team are busting the parade balloons, and you see a crosswalk sign that doesn't look anything like the ones in New York.
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote:Just curious, do you think it would have looked fine in the originals?
Depending on the lighting yeah don't see a problem.
Kingpin wrote:I don't see why you feel that, as there aren't any glaringly obvious Boston landmarks or locations in any of the Boston filming locations.
I can't describe it but it in no way looks like New York. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies like more like Ghostbusters than Answer The Call.
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote: I don't see why you feel that, as there aren't any glaringly obvious Boston landmarks or locations in any of the Boston filming locations.
pferreira1983 wrote:I can't describe it but it in no way looks like New York. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies like more like Ghostbusters than Answer The Call.
OK, I made up my mind. My birthday is next week, and my company gives us the day off, so I'm going to see if I can take the NYC TV & Movie Tour, which claims to include, according to the brochure, "Locations from all three Ghostbusters movies*." I'll see if that can shed any light on this discussion. :-D

*You know, I'm pretty sure this same brochure was around before ATC, which means there was probably a version that said "Locations from both Ghostbusters movies." Wish I'd kept one, it would have been nice to have both!
pferreira1983 liked this
Before I begin, I wanted to say that I am an OG from 1990. That's when packs cost three digits, not four; the use of coaxial cable to open/close trap doors, ect. I like the equipment. When some of the first shots of Holtzmann's workshop goggles(which had a fearsome thread on here), my friend and I built them, easily and cheaply. For fun.
When it turned out that Holtzmann's figure was going for double retail, for a lark I went to Walmart.com. There was one in inventory for about 90 seconds...and then it was mine to be picked up locally. Again, just having fun.
Now THOSE 2 things I liked.
Finally, I will own up to the armband trap controller as one thing I liked. And the GB tech part of me smiled.
RichardLess wrote:
Glenn Frederick wrote:I really liked the score by Theodore Shapiro!
See that's something that I really felt was really poorly done. I can't recall a single motif from the score. There were a couple decent atmospheric bits and bobs but nothing really stood out to me.

I've mentioned this in the past but I was really letdown with the behind the scenes artistry on GB 16, from production design, music, cinematography and VFX. Maybe it wouldn't bug me so much if the original two films hadn't had such a deep roster of talent behind the scenes. We got spoiled. This movie looked and felt like a million other movies.
I found this totally by accident. Something to listen to, if nothing else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze8ONZ--AQI
Kingpin wrote:I wasn't saying all that stuff was in the reboot, I was asking that if you cut out all that stuff from any given photograph of New York, then how can you actually what is and isn't New York, instead of just another major American city?
As an Australian who has never even been to the USA I think its very easy to tell NY apart from any other US city without landmarks. The same for several other US cities like LA and Chicago. Its hard to describe why but NY certainly has a very distinct look and feel. You can look at a street and know its NY even without knowing the street or any of the buildings on it. Its just the architecture, the age of the city, the decay and just the general atmosphere. Watching Nolan's Batman movies and its extremely obvious they were filmed in Chicago and not New York (the traditional proxy for Gotham City) even without any landmarks.
Commander_Jim wrote:Watching Nolan's Batman movies and its extremely obvious they were filmed in Chicago and not New York (the traditional proxy for Gotham City) even without any landmarks.
Except there are a few notable sequences in The Dark Knight Rises that were filmed in New York. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:OK, I made up my mind. My birthday is next week, and my company gives us the day off, so I'm going to see if I can take the NYC TV & Movie Tour, which claims to include, according to the brochure, "Locations from all three Ghostbusters movies*." I'll see if that can shed any light on this discussion. :-D
Cool, hope you have a great day. :)
JurorNo.2 liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:OK, I made up my mind. My birthday is next week, and my company gives us the day off, so I'm going to see if I can take the NYC TV & Movie Tour, which claims to include, according to the brochure, "Locations from all three Ghostbusters movies*." I'll see if that can shed any light on this discussion. :-D
Cool, hope you have a great day. :)
Thanks!
pferreira1983 liked this
I just saw it this weekend after putting it off. The best way I can think to describe the film is disappointing.

Charge the lines. Create the Vortex. Break the barriers. I liked that as a concept for the villain. The problem is they had more soup jokes than they did an explanation of what the lines were and why they were important. They missed the mark on the mythology. Ley lines should've been explained. Rowan needed a little better motivation, and the gear needed to be handled with more seriousness. All the characters had credibility issues. So they needed spent more time on the mythology and less time on soup and pointless gear revisions.

There was a story there with the Ley Lines but they seem to have forgotten the science and mythology.
pferreira1983 liked this
NHawk wrote:There was a story there with the Ley Lines but they seem to have forgotten the science and mythology.
That was one of the problems with the movie. There's a lot of technobabble but you get the impression the writing isn't committed to it making it make sense or make it interesting. Perhaps they needed Dan on as a supernatural science consultant to help re-write those bits of dialogue?
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
pferreira1983 wrote: Perhaps they needed Dan on as a supernatural science consultant to help re-write those bits of dialogue?
Dan actually did. It's mentioned a few times by Dippolt he actualized it. For me the technobabble needed to be out there, and just weird enough you get a feeling what Abby and Erin meant, just not quite, but it all is grounded in the rules according to Dan's (and GFOP).

Dippolt interview on Dan and Ivan:
It was always great to get his [Ivan] feedback, because he just knows it. He did it. He’s the director of the original Ghostbusters. And then Dan Aykroyd would also read drafts and give notes and feedback and pitch things, like pitch equipment stuff and how to make things sound more Ghostbusters-y, which was like a ridiculous email to get. Like, “This is what Dan Aykroyd has to say.”
All together a nice interview on how the script changed from R to PG13, and how the really scary stuff got towned down a bit: http://www.slashfilm.com/ghostbusters-k ... interview/
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
Wow, they really put a lot of work into making the science sound/seem legit.

That's a good point about not wanting another writer tacking on a story to an already existing character. I like fan fiction, but I'm never completely satisfied with where that characters have ended up. Even my own fan fiction. I can never decide what I'd like to see happen with a character that I like.
Alphagaia liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]