Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
timeware wrote:I'm willing to take bets to see whose voice causes someone to bang their head against the wall first. If your stuck in a locked room with Snarf or Jar Jar on an eternal loop. I might throw in Orco on that recording as well. Lol.
How about Twiki from Buck Rodgers? *biddi biddi biddi*
Scrappy Doo?
timeware wrote:With the major news networks admitting to making up phony Russian collusion stories and false articles Face Book and twitter are his only options to get his message out. Were not use to having a president who burps, farts and swears.
I have to say I haven't seen a president get so much hate from a country. A lot of 'butthurt' voters I guess. :neutral:
Kingpin wrote:Some comedians may be avoiding lampooning Trump and his cadre (with the exception of SNL) because of the response either from the White House or his supporters via social media, fearing similar responses like the case with Kathy Griffin.
I think we can all agree jokes with showing Trump's severed head is not cool.
Kingpin wrote:I might be more sympathetic if he were genuinely deserving of sympathy. CNN may have been heavier handed in this case but when someone posts something like that animation, I guess it will ultimately lead to escalation.
Depends on the situation and whether people think it's a threat. Okay here's the thing. I want to give you an example and tell me what you think:

On Den of Geek some idiot guy I felt was trolling me because I argued that Sega was as good as Nintendo. He wasn't having any of that and kept telling me in a patronising way that Nintendo was the best and kept saying I know nothing about video gaming. What really offended me with his dialogue was at the end of every sentence he kept calling me 'darling'. Now after some complaining about this another user who'd he criticised previously defended him and said I was overreacting, that's it's a term of endearment. Clearly as you read it it's certainly not but my point is people react differently to different things. If calling someone 'darling' is a term of endearment and I was overreacting could I really get away on this site calling Juror, Alpha, you or anyone else I'm arguing with without coming across the least bit offensive? It's a rhetorical question I suppose but this is what I personally face.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Look at George Lucas, the creator and hard core advocate of Jar Jar Binks. I don't think that means he's racist. Just that he's incredibly tone deaf and should not be allowed near a script.
Compared to the writers of The Force Awakens his work was Oscar worthy. I welcome more Lucas prequels with Jar Jar Binks over that awful 2015 film :veryhappy:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Jar Jar Binks was accused of being a unflattering stereotype of a Caribbean, with his exaggerated features and pidgin English.
The irony is Binks was voiced by Ahmed Best who chose that voice so yeah people who criticise the character or Lucas for stereotyping...bunch of idiots. :eyeroll:
timeware wrote:Anything more annoying then Jar Jar Binks? Snarf from Thundercats. Before Disney Infinity went sunset you could find Jar Jar frozen in carbonite in Jabba's palace.
Jar Jar was made for kids as well.
Kingpin wrote:that doesn't excuse the fact though that Jar Jar sucks.
Rey the Mary Sue is far more annoying without a doubt as is Jar Jar Finn. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well I agree that there are plenty of other lack luster characters in the prequels (and in the new Disney Star Wars for that matter).
Guess who was the very first character Lucas ever came up with for Star Wars, just saying:

I know it's not just your fault but a lot of prequel haters are quick to judge without knowing the details. :)
pferreira1983 wrote:I have to say I haven't seen a president get so much hate from a country.
I think there are many intriguing parallels between Obama and Trump and the country's reaction to them. Both outsiders, both charismatic speakers. Both extremely dissatisfied with America and feel they need to fix it somehow. Both were the golden idol that voters hoped would magically fix everything. Both proved under qualified, certainly in foreign policy. Both encouraged unprecedented optimism from their fans, and unprecedented hatred from their, well, haters.
Compared to the writers of The Force Awakens his work was Oscar worthy.
You will not catch me defending Force Awakens or Rogue One. The writing is nearly non existence. The prequels had some great ideas, it's just the dialogue was far too cringey, and Anakin's pivotal turn was handled so clumsily.
JurorNo.2 wrote:The irony is Binks was voiced by Ahmed Best who chose that voice so yeah people who criticise the character or Lucas for stereotyping...bunch of idiots. :roll:
That's fair enough. I really think it's more the design of the character that's problematic. If we were seeing an actual African American human on screen, I don't think it would be as off putting. But instead we have a cartoon alien who was deliberately given exaggerated features, associated with an ethnicity. It looks like those features are meaning made fun of, even if that wasn't their intention. That's what I mean by Lucas being tone deaf.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Both outsiders, both charismatic speakers. Both extremely dissatisfied with America and feel they need to fix it somehow. Both were the golden idol that voters hoped would magically fix everything. Both proved under qualified, certainly in foreign policy. Both encouraged unprecedented optimism from their fans, and unprecedented hatred from their, well, haters.
Unlike Obama I don't see the hate for Trump dying down any time. Obama played it mostly safe for better or worse.
JurorNo.2 wrote:You will not catch me defending Force Awakens or Rogue One. The writing is nearly non existence. The prequels had some great ideas, it's just the dialogue was far too cringey, and Anakin's pivotal turn was handled so clumsily.
Yeah I agree. I still make fun of Anakin's breakdown in AOTC after killing all the Tusken Raiders. It's incredibly hilarious in it's OTT acting yet strangely still manages to be a bit powerful.
JurorNo.2 wrote:That's fair enough. I really think it's more the design of the character that's problematic. If we were seeing an actual African American human on screen, I don't think it would be as off putting. But instead we have a cartoon alien who was deliberately given exaggerated features, associated with an ethnicity. It looks like those features are meaning made fun of, even if that wasn't their intention. That's what I mean by Lucas being tone deaf.
I agree with you to an extent but Naboo is supposed to have it's roots in Africa so I can't quite agree here. What about Boss Nass played by Brian Blessed? Same sort of voice. What about Queen Amidala voice? Her accent is supposed to sound African although seems to come off at times as Eastern European. :lol:
pferreira1983 wrote:Unlike Obama I don't see the hate for Trump dying down any time.
Unlike Obama? Heh, do you get Fox News in your country? Or right wing talk radio? ;)

The big difference is Trump's adversarial use of social media. (Wow, I rarely get to use that word in a sentence! :-D )
JurorNo.2 wrote:Yeah I agree. I still make fun of Anakin's breakdown in AOTC after killing all the Tusken Raiders. It's incredibly hilarious in it's OTT acting yet strangely still manages to be a bit powerful.
Honestly, I'm more flabbergasted by Padme's reaction. You just learned your already creepy boyfriend went out and murdered a bunch of primitive people (And not just the men...but the women...and the children!) and the first thing you say is, "To be angry is to be human"??? Um...Under react much?!?!?!:-?
Iagree with you to an extent but Naboo is supposed to have it's roots in Africa so I can't quite agree here.
If that's so, I don't think that's immediately obvious in the movie.
pferreira1983 wrote:I have to say I haven't seen a president get so much hate from a country.
There probably hasn't been as despicable a person as Trump elected President before, he's doing a fantastic job at making Richard Nixon look good in comparison.
pferreira1983 wrote:Rey the Mary Sue is far more annoying without a doubt as is Jar Jar Finn. :)
You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no way you'll ever provide a convincing argument that Rey and Finn are worse characters than Binks.
Here's my issue. If you ask me to describe Jar Jar's personality and arc, I have no problem doing so. Rey and Finn? I'm still working on that, and not just because we're waiting for the sequel.
Sav C liked this
There probably hasn't been as despicable a person as Trump elected President before, he's doing a fantastic job at making Richard Nixon look good in comparison.
Nixon was an ass. Politicians get away with so much more these days. I think I lost count of how many scandals the Clinton's produced. By history comparisons Obama made Carter look like an effective leader.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Both were the golden idol that voters hoped would magically fix everything. Both proved under qualified, certainly in foreign policy.
Like I've said before I'm not that invested in politics, so don't take my opinions too seriously, but I think Obama was qualified. He struggled to get stuff done due to opposition from congress, yet he still managed to accomplish some major things.

With Trump he has a congress backing him that supports his policies, yet he's still getting little done. Why? Because I don't think he knows what he's doing. Have you ever heard him say anything about his healthcare bill describing how it will work? He throws out adjectives to describe how great it will be, but he doesn't actually have a clue what it will contain. His travel ban keeps getting overturned, and rightfully so. His travel ban is unconstitutional.

With Obama's healthcare bill, republicans claimed that it was rushed and didn't have enough public input, yet the Trump healthcare plan has been written faster with absolutely no public input. Americans don't really even know what's in the Trump healthcare bill.

The only thing Trump has managed to do is to start undoing the good things that Obama did, such as overturning important environmental policies. Trump has overturned good and progressive planned parenthood bills (which brings up a question, are pro life people against abortion pills?), and Trump is also close to overturning some good and progressive LGBT policies of the Obama administration. To my knowledge Trump approved the building of the keystone pipeline project.

Trump has so far only shown qualification at overturning the good things Obama (and previous administrations) did.
timeware wrote:
Nixon was an ass. Politicians get away with so much more these days. I think I lost count of how many scandals the Clinton's produced. By history comparisons Obama made Carter look like an effective leader.
Nixon promised to withdraw troops from Vietnam, but only made the war worse before he ended up doing so, so that was a lie. There was also Watergate. But compared to Trump I don't think Nixon lied that much.

Here's an article documenting all of Trump's lies: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... d=fb-share

It doesn't begin to cover all of his conflicting statements, for instance he criticized Obama for signing too many executive orders when he took office, yet Trump signed more of them in a shorter period of time.
Last edited by Sav C on July 10th, 2017, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Well I do know one thing. With all this Russian stuff lately, somebody needs to remake Spies Like Us! (Or at least put some freakin bonus features on the current DVD. Stop being chintzy, Warner Brothers!)
Sav C liked this
Like I've said before I'm not that invested in politics, so don't take my opinions too seriously, but I think Obama was qualified. He struggled to get stuff done due to opposition from congress, yet he still managed to accomplish some major things.
I discovered Star Wars the old republic this week. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Obama had a congress backing him as well. He could have gotten single payer passed his first year in. He could have closed Gitmo his first year in office. Instead he chose to campaign on it for three years telling us we can keep our plans and our doctors.

His travel ban isn't unconstitutional. The supreme court voted unanimously to allow him to enact certain parts of it. After, all they voted to uphold the ACA.

The reason it gets overturned is purely political. This ban is similar to what Obama had previously done.

This is where Trump gets in trouble and the dems freak out. He did use the word Muslim Ban on the campaign trail. If you read the actual order it contains no reference to the Muslim religion.

The states that are overturning this are run by the democratic party or Rino's. Jewish, and Christain refugees are affected by this limited time ban and you microscopically hear the media mention them. They overturn it based on campaign rhetoric and not what's in the order.

The previous administration had some environmental laws on the books that didn't make sense. Some of them needed to be over turned. Refugee's aren't citizens of the united states so how would this ban be unconstitutional?

As long as people check out I don't have an issue with bringing refugees in. I think if you cant link paper work, and the fact there are professional passports being printed under the table given to unsavory people some vetting should take place.
Boehner stood in the way of Obama for the entire time he was in congress. I'd be surprised if Obama could've gotten single payer passed his first year in, but it would've been nice if he had. Even the Affordable Care Act wasn't what it could've been, after it was passed through congress. At the same time it did help insure around thirty million people.

Over a hundred thousand visas were revoked by the first travel ban (they were revoked from people who had to pass a year-long vetting process under the Obama administration). Jewish and Christian refugees are by far the minority of those who are affected by the ban. The first travel ban was unconstitutional because it obstructed freedom of religion, which I believe is in the constitution. The second ban is not as unconstitutional as the first: it doesn't revoke visas and it allows children in, so I'll give it that. If a person doesn't check out than I agree--they certainly shouldn't be let in. But the first ban prevented people from getting in based on their religion, not whether or not they were safe to let in. Even Muhammad Ali's son was pulled aside--twice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -time.html
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
Boehner wasn't one of my favorites. He was still better then Nancy Pelosi and I have a lot of choice words for her. (Don't worry Kingpin, i'll keep it clean!) How she keeps getting elected is beyond my comprehension skills.

I'm not sold on the single payer idea, or a one size fits all insurance plan. I don't want to see one company have a monopoly on the industry and that's where were headed if nothing gets done. Companies are pulling out from state to state.

I'm more open to diversity in the market place, health care savings accounts if people don't want insurance, and pre existing conditions. Being able to shop across state lines for what you want to pay for I think is a good idea.

I cant say it's a guarantee but if this happens don't be surprised to see Geico, Progressive, and other companies like them start cranking out health care commercials.

While I would like to see both sides work on this that's about as realistic as a unicorn trotting across my front lawn. I don't see any harm in inviting the Democrats to the table but so far I just see Chucky being content with bitching and whining.
Yeah I don't know much about Pelosi, like I've said before I'm not the most invested in politics.

Single Payer is good in that everyone pays a small fee, and that fee is added to a large pool of money--which is in turn drawn from when an individual needs a procedure. That's how it is here in Canada, and I like it. Here it's basically like Medicare for everyone, I suppose. At the same time I've recently seen news pieces about patients leaving the province and heading to either other provinces or the states for procedures; so the quality of coverage varies. I think that's what you're getting at.

One nice thing about Single Payer here is that you get your first hundred dollars worth of prescription medication free, and sometimes more if you are in a lower tax bracket. For someone like me when EpiPens cost $120 yet I only have to pay twenty, that's a great deal. However to prevent Anaphylaxis, $120 would be more than well worth it. Freaking insane how much they hiked up the price on EpiPens in the States, though.

I'm more than happy to keep this conversation going, although it is so far off topic that I think it's best we take it to private messaging (if you don't mind).
JurorNo.2 wrote:If that's so, I don't think that's immediately obvious in the movie.
What, you think Amadala just put on the voice to make fun of African people? :mrgreen:
Kingpin wrote:There probably hasn't been as despicable a person as Trump elected President before, he's doing a fantastic job at making Richard Nixon look good in comparison.
Yet people forget about George Bush Jr. Hating Nixon was a trend, hating Bush Jr was a trend, hating Trump is a trend. Once they step out of office and someone new is elected they'll get the flack and be called the most despicable person elected. You can't say Trump is the worst when we have a number of other presidents to compare him to who are just as bad if not worse than him.
Kingpin wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no way you'll ever provide a convincing argument that Rey and Finn are worse characters than Binks.
Well I'm not going into detail because we'd be here all day but I think it's safe to say at least Binks wasn't part of an overwhelming bad Star Wars movie. Sure the prequels aren't great but The Force Awakens had more to lose creatively and lose it did. The combined effort of Rey and Finn are a more formidable evil than the Emperor ever was. :lol:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Here's my issue. If you ask me to describe Jar Jar's personality and arc, I have no problem doing so. Rey and Finn? I'm still working on that, and not just because we're waiting for the sequel.
You know first impressions count and it probably doesn't help The Force Awakens was so disappointing in every way so not the best first impressions all around. Even if The Last Jedi ends up being an improvement the damage is already done to Star Wars. Disney messed up and there's no going back. They can't retcon TFA and ask Carrie Fisher to come back to do a movie that treats Star Wars properly. Nope, this is it folks, Rey the Mary Sue and Jar Jar Finn. Scary but sad. :(
pferreira1983 wrote:Once they step out of office and someone new is elected they'll get the flack and be called the most despicable person elected.
Whilst I've only got the 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 elections to work with, as prior to that there wasn't nearly as much television coverage of the American elections (and I would've been below the age of 15 for George W.'s first election, and not following politics), I can't really say I got the impression of Presidents-Elect being branded despicable in even the same universe as Trump. George and Barack may've had their moments, but they haven't said half the reprehensible things Donald has said about people of the Islamic faith, women or Mexicans.
pferreira1983 wrote:You can't say Trump is the worst when we have a number of other presidents to compare him to who are just as bad if not worse than him.
When he openly mocks a disabled journalist on national television, insinuates most Mexicans are rapists, and casually remarks about groping women (to name but three examples), that sets the bar pretty bloody low... and I think I can reasonably say he's building himself up to be the worst, certainly the most unprofessional.
pferreira1983 wrote:Well I'm not going into detail because we'd be here all day
Good, as I didn't ask you to. :)
pferreira1983 wrote:but I think it's safe to say at least Binks wasn't part of an overwhelming bad Star Wars movie.
Midichlorians, "I'm gonna be the first to see them all!", Jar Jark Binks, the racially stereotypical trade federation, the contradictions with the past events established in Episodes 3-5... Phantom Menace was an overwhelmingly bad Star Wars movie, and Anakin was a poorly-written Gary Stu (based on PM and the whole Prequel trilogy).
Sav C liked this
I see we're still waiting on clarification from Ms. Jones, so...

If anyone believes Phantom Menace is worse than Attack of the Clones, they're f****g morons.

Also, I hope to never see another Clinton in the White House.
From a Rolling Stone Fleetwood Mac special, "Little Lies" clocks in at #12 in their top 50:
"She (Christine McVie) later mused that FM should have unearthed this song, and not "Don't Stop," when they performed at Bill Clinton's inauguration."
Kingpin wrote:Whilst I've only got the 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 elections to work with, as prior to that there wasn't nearly as much television coverage of the American elections (and I would've been below the age of 15 for George W.'s first election, and not following politics),
Seriously? I remember the 2000 elections pretty clearly. It was a fix wasn't it?
Kingpin wrote:I can't really say I got the impression of Presidents-Elect being branded despicable in even the same universe as Trump. George and Barack may've had their moments, but they haven't said half the reprehensible things Donald has said about people of the Islamic faith, women or Mexicans.
Nah, George Bush Jr was seen as just as evil as Trump is today and was ridiculed as much. The reason you probably think Trump is the worst is because he's most current. Obama for better or worse played it safe after Bush.
Kingpin wrote:When he openly mocks a disabled journalist on national television, insinuates most Mexicans are rapists, and casually remarks about groping women (to name but three examples), that sets the bar pretty bloody low... and I think I can reasonably say he's building himself up to be the worst, certainly the most unprofessional.
Yeah that's pretty bad but that's the way he conducted himself to the public. Bush Jr wasn't addicted to Twitter rants, Nixon had no idea what Twitter is. I'm sure if people went to investigate a bit Bush Jr said some very controversial stuff as well.
Kingpin wrote:Midichlorians, "I'm gonna be the first to see them all!", Jar Jark Binks, the racially stereotypical trade federation, the contradictions with the past events established in Episodes 3-5... Phantom Menace was an overwhelmingly bad Star Wars movie, and Anakin was a poorly-written Gary Stu (based on PM and the whole Prequel trilogy).
Yet still better than The Farce Awakens and at least there was a feeling of hope it could improve afterwards unlike the Mary Sue movie.
featofstrength wrote:I see we're still waiting on clarification from Ms. Jones, so...
Good to see you're keeping on topic here. Ha, ha! :lol:
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah that's pretty bad but that's the way he conducted himself to the public.
...So that's okay? No reprimand, just a "Oh, well, that's just Donald for you"? :sigh: Great to see the type of character who'll get a free pass from you over those who won't.

Anyone hear any further details on Leslie's fracas with Hilton?
Sav C liked this
I do respect W even if it's just for the fact that he was presidential. I respect Bill Clinton's politics more than W's, and he was presidential, however it's a bit hard to respect him considering, well, you know. Still he only cheated, he didn't brag about assault.

Obama is my favourite president, and I think Carter's a close second.
I'll say this about Bill. The only thing I like about him is his voice is simple to imitate.other then that he's a bigger perv then master roshi from dragonball z.

Reagen was my favorite besides Lincoln. I voted for w but didn't like how moderate he was getting towards the end of his second term.

Trump could be the next Reagen if he gets his shit together. If not he'll be a one termer and the Rock will be our next President.
Lincolns up there for me, but that was so long ago and my knowledge of history isn't quite there, so it would be unfair to rank him at the top with the presidents I do know well and like. I'm not sure how well Reagan's policies worked out long term, I should do some research on that for myself. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say W was getting too moderate; do you mean his politics started shifting towards the left?
Never said I agreed with everything the man says and does.policy wise he has the opportunity to bring the country into prosperity like Reagen had.
The Rock has been talking about a 2020 run and depending which party he runs with I don't think Trump will win another term due to the Rocks popularity
Unless Trump is impeached and Pence ends up with a high popularity in the polls.Ill say now I do not believe that Trump will be impeached and he will serve out his term like Clinton had.
pferreira1983 wrote:I remember the 2000 elections pretty clearly. It was a fix wasn't it?
The state that decided who would win the electoral vote was Florida, which Jeb Bush was governor of at the time. Apparently there were many votes for Gore that weren't counted due to them being "hanging chads". A hanging chad is when a hole punch doesn't punch the hole through and leaves the little paper cut out still attached to the main page. They also had "butterfly ballots" where the names of the candidates were listed on both sides, and down the centre was the place to mark the vote. Due to the layout they were confusing and made it so a third candidate was voted for accidentally, instead of voting for Gore. So yes I believe Florida did throw the election.

Personally I would've preferred Al Gore as president, his environmental policies would've placed us much farther ahead than we are now in my opinion. America is the most influential and powerful nation in the world, with the right president in place they can accomplish amazing feats to protect the environment.
timeware wrote:Never said I agreed with everything the man says and does.policy wise he has the opportunity to bring the country into prosperity like Reagen had.
The Rock has been talking about a 2020 run and depending which party he runs with I don't think Trump will win another term due to the Rocks popularity
Unless Trump is impeached and Pence ends up with a high popularity in the polls.Ill say now I do not believe that Trump will be impeached and he will serve out his term like Clinton had.
First Trump, then Kanye, now the Rock. Good grief, when will someone run who actually has government experience? I don't dislike the Rock, but I certainly hope another political-know-nothing doesn't get elected.

Bill was impeached. He just didn't leave office. It's too bad since I think he was a smart guy who could've done much, much more, but failed.
JurorNo.2 liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]