Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Despite their pitiful delusions of grandeur, YouTube gamer gaters were not the reason ATC under performed. Those types have never, and will never, accomplish anything in their wretched loser lives. The only thing that keeps them going is the fallacy that they as fans have power over the big bad movie studios. Something to comfort them while their McDonalds manager lectures them about the fast in fast food.

Now I'll stop myself, before I say something unkind.
Gamer Gate is all about ethics in video game journalism and preventing the stupid SJWs from ruining entertainment. What's wrong with that?!
robbritton wrote:Ivan said he didn't consider the game to be Ghostbusters 3. That's not quite the same as saying it isn't canon. If a new film takes place after 1992 and doesn't contradict any of the events of the game, it can easily stay in canon. It's just that Ivan has his own idea he would have pursued, rather than the game plot. That's as deep as that goes. So I wouldn't worry about that one! :)
I would like to them to set it in stone whether it is to be canon or not. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:And he also falsely claimed Dan Aykroyd "paused" before mentioning Leslie Jones' name in that clip about the movie's budget. Either Matt was deliberately misrepresenting the clip, or he's just incredibly bad at reading basic human speech patterns. Either way, he's a shameless YouTube hack looking for up votes.
Now Juror is he a YT hack because he's providing false information or maybe, just maybe it's because he doesn't share your view that ATC is a good movie like you do? I can't help but think it's the latter eh? :wink:
JurorNo.2 wrote:OK about this. I will admit, I was very impressed by CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. It wasn't perfect, but that didn't take away from the achievement. CGI Leia didn't work as well for some reason, some uncanny valley crept in.
It didn't work for both of them really. Leia was just more noticeable because it's more difficult to get her right.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Apart from the CGI question, Rogue One, IMHO, had a frustratingly underwritten script. Tarkin as a character was completely forgettable. And Leia came off far too saccharine with that "Hope" thing. So ultimately I'm more concerned about the writing than the CGI.
Still better written than The Force Awakens if that's any consolation.
Davideverona wrote:Ecto Force on hold despite having gained interest from various networks in favour of the animated movie linked to the original universe. Reitman revealed this on the Empire Movie Podcast.
I'm concerned about that premise. Cartoons based off characters set in the future are never good.
Davideverona wrote:In GB 101 the ATC team comes simply from the future and the overlapping is happening not between two dimensions but between the past and the future?

So, the hurdle is: why no one remembers the old GBs? The government put everything under the rug. A powerful demon made evryone (Ghostbusters included) forget about everything but, thanks God, there were a team of girls smart enough to reinvent the wheel.
Ha, ha! Unlikely but we can live in hope. :lol:
Alphagaia wrote:Darn. That quote could have calmed a lot of people who where convinced/raging how ATC was going to replace the originals.
It makes no difference. ATC should have come second as in a spin-off. If it was a spin-off then it would be a better movie if still a moronic one. The return of the Ghostbusters should have been the original team.
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:Gamer Gate is all about ethics in video game journalism and preventing the stupid SJWs from ruining entertainment. What's wrong with that?!
I don't think video games cause violence or sexism, I agree that's foolishness. But the gamer gate movement encouraged bad habits and behavior in a friend of mine, made him more bitter, paranoid, and downright miserable to be around (when I could convince him to leave his house).
JurorNo.2 wrote:is he a YT hack because he's providing false information
In these two cases, yes. :)
Cartoons based off characters set in the future are never good.
Have you met George Jetson and his boy Elroy?
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:I don't think video games cause violence or sexism, I agree that's foolishness. But the gamer gate movement encouraged bad habits and behavior in a friend of mine, made him more bitter, paranoid, and downright miserable to be around (when I could convince him to leave his house).
I think I speak for everyone when I say sometimes we just need to leave social media for a while because it's not good for us. This isn't to say you are wrong, it's to say there's only so much a person should subject themselves to otherwise they become obsessed.
JurorNo.2 wrote:In these two cases, yes. :)
So not the least bit subjective Juror? :mrgreen: As I said I don't entirely agree with him on stuff. I mean he loved the new Star Wars movies but it's good to have him around when faced with endless one sided left wing articles I see everyday.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Have you met George Jetson and his boy Elroy?
I certainly have but while I like The Jetsons it was never a success and even today people don't generally have nice things to say about it. But my point was taking existing characters and putting them in the future. The Jetsons was an entirely new show with new characters for that show.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:Leia was just more noticeable because it's more difficult to get her right.
I found it was Tarkin who came off as less convincing rather than Leia.
pferreira1983 wrote:Cartoons based off characters set in the future are never good.
Batman Beyond, Beast Wars, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century were all pretty enjoyable (some better than others, and I'll concede it's not a very long list).
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:I found it was Tarkin who came off as less convincing rather than Leia..
Yeah, but he did have more screen time than Leia lending him to be more scrutinized. I haven't watched the latest Planet of the Apes movie, but they're pretty good with using CG to create Caesar and co. The movement and look etc. of the eyes matter I think.
By Styrofoam_Guy
Seeing some of the behind he scene features, they used an actor that looked very similar looking to the Tarkin as the basis for the CGI. I also saw the last Planet of the Apes movie and the CGI there was fairly impressive.

I think with Tarkin we know the actor had passed away so we automatically know it is CGI. For this reason I think people are even more critical of the results. I found Tarkin done much better than Leia.

For me what I think was off was that when they talked and lips moved, the rest of the face muscles didn't seem to move properly.

mrmichaelt wrote:
Kingpin wrote:I found it was Tarkin who came off as less convincing rather than Leia..
Yeah, but he did have more screen time than Leia lending him to be more scrutinized. I haven't watched the latest Planet of the Apes movie, but they're pretty good with using CG to create Caesar and co. The movement and look etc. of the eyes matter I think.
By 80sguy
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Seeing some of the behind he scene features, they used an actor that looked very similar looking to the Tarkin as the basis for the CGI.
Well, that and they had a face cast of the actor from another film. They used a face cast of Arnold from 84 for T5m which helped creating the model.

A similar method was also done for the Johnny Walker alcohol commercial, with Bruce Lee. They had a face cast of him made during the Green Hornet and used a look-alike actor. No doubt they'll do the same thing for a CGI Harold Ramis.
By 80sguy
Davideverona wrote:I really hope for it to be a Ghost Egon.
I'd rather not have Egon be dead just because the actor is.
By Davideverona
I see it as a strong character - actor link. You know, take the Tramp. With Chaplin gone it would be strange to see another actor portraying it. And I doubt that, if Egon is far away working on something, he wouldn't come back to NY to help with a massive emergency.
By 80sguy
Davideverona wrote:I see it as a strong character - actor link. You know, take the Tramp. With Chaplin gone it would be strange to see another actor portraying it.
Not really. These are CHARACTERS after fall. It should't have to be strictly tied to one actor. There are different ways a character can be potratyed. Technically, Robert Downey Jr. portrayed the Tramp in a Charlie Chaplin biography film, and he was good at it. While it wouldn't be my first choice to have someone else be Egon in live action, it would be my last choice to kill him off just because the actor is not alive.
By Davideverona
RDJ was absolutely great as Chaplin although I thought that, to tell Chaplin's life in its entirety, it would have been a two part movie :)

So, who ya gonna call to play Egon? Aaand... Chubby Egon or Slim Egon?
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:I found it was Tarkin who came off as less convincing rather than Leia.
Really? From reviews it was the opposite and from my own experience with Leia it just seems noticeable especially when she smiles.
Kingpin wrote:Batman Beyond, Beast Wars, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century were all pretty enjoyable (some better than others, and I'll concede it's not a very long list).
Okay let's see:

Batman Beyond: was a continuation of the 1992 animated series so it had at least that going for it and but doesn't meet the criteria for that reason. The series was however never as popular as the original series (it's a spin-off) and only went for two seasons before being cancelled.

Beast Wars: not really. The show could have been set anywhere, who would think it's set on Earth? I mean the show was set on a barren planet.

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century: y'know I really wanted to like this show but the attempts to modernize the Arthur Conan Doyle characters was kind of pretentious. I somehow doubt it's on Sherlock Holmes fans top list of iterations. The series is probably seen by some unforgiving fans as a jump the shark moment for the character and it's difficult to defend that.

Any more examples?
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:Batman Beyond: was a continuation of the 1992 animated series so it had at least that going for it and but doesn't meet the criteria for that reason.
Moving the goal posts aren't we? Your original remark was pretty concise:
pferreira1983 wrote:Cartoons based off characters set in the future are never good.
-now you're adding extra criteria to maintain that you're right.

The show may not've eclipsed the legacy of Batman: The Animated Series, but it was always going to struggle to do so... failing to eclipse its predecessor isn't itself proof that the show wasn't good, nor cancellation after two series (plenty of good shows have been cancelled early and terrible shows renewed for multiple years). It featured the original Bruce Wayne at a point several decades after his original series was set, so by your original criteria, it passes the test. I can even submit Return of the Joker as being a strong example of how good the series was.
pferreira1983 wrote:Beast Wars: not really. The show could have been set anywhere, who would think it's set on Earth? I mean the show was set on a barren planet.
Although physically set on Earth in the past for the majority of the show's run, it was still a considerable amount of time set in the Transformers' future, compared to the 1980s series. Plus there were plenty of sequences set in lush jungles near the bases of the Maximals and Predacons, it wasn't barren in every episode. The depiction of the settings aside, it would also appear to pass the test.
pferreira1983 wrote:Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century: y'know I really wanted to like this show but the attempts to modernize the Arthur Conan Doyle characters was kind of pretentious.
Moffat's efforts were pretentious. The efforts by SH22C weren't always successful, but did involve some creativity. Plus the animation was to a reasonable standard, and it was produced by the same company behind RGB, DiC. I'm a Holmes fan as animated adaptations of his work go, it's one of the better... and forgivable with regard to the changes that were made. And the execution of the updates to the classic Holmes cases aside, again it looks like we have another example that passes the test. :)
pferreira1983 wrote:Any more examples?
I'm afraid I did struggle, which in that regard I will admit it is tricky to find examples of shows that are set in the future and are good. I'm sure there's more I'm missing but I'm struggling to remember them. The only two other examples that come to mind are ones I wouldn't say are good, TMNT: Fast Forward, and the Casper cartoon where he was in the far-flung future. One further one I do recall, which had the descendants of Marvel's Avengers, but I don't know if that one was any good.
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:Moving the goal posts aren't we?
Not moving the goal posts, apologies I wasn't clear. Batman Beyond is a continuation of the 1992 series. I mean shows that haven't continued from a previous series like your Sherlock Holmes example.
Kingpin wrote:The show may not've eclipsed the legacy of Batman: The Animated Series, but it was always going to struggle to do so... failing to eclipse its predecessor isn't itself proof that the show wasn't good, nor cancellation after two series (plenty of good shows have been cancelled early and terrible shows renewed for multiple years). It featured the original Bruce Wayne at a point several decades after his original series was set, so by your original criteria, it passes the test. I can even submit Return of the Joker as being a strong example of how good the series was.
Like anything it has it's fans but setting it in the future does still feel a bit desperate. I can understand why the show wasn't allowed to continue.
Kingpin wrote:Although physically set on Earth in the past for the majority of the show's run, it was still a considerable amount of time set in the Transformers' future, compared to the 1980s series. Plus there were plenty of sequences set in lush jungles near the bases of the Maximals and Predacons, it wasn't barren in every episode. The depiction of the settings aside, it would also appear to pass the test.
No not really. Transformers as a franchise has more or less always been set in space or on other worlds like Earth. Beast Wars is in keeping with previous and future iterations of the franchise. On a sidenote when I was at Metrodome I tried to get Beast Wars released but was denied. :(
Kingpin wrote:Moffat's efforts were pretentious. The efforts by SH22C weren't always successful, but did involve some creativity. Plus the animation was to a reasonable standard, and it was produced by the same company behind RGB, DiC. I'm a Holmes fan as animated adaptations of his work go, it's one of the better... and forgivable with regard to the changes that were made. And the execution of the updates to the classic Holmes cases aside, again it looks like we have another example that passes the test. :)
Yeah Moffat's interpretation was pretentious to an extent although it was grounded in the reality of the books it was based on, the cartoon series not so much. It was definitely a guilty pleasure. The animation I agree was pretty good. However I can understand why purist Sherlock fans hate the cartoon probably in the same way purist fans of Biggles hate the 80s movie which I feel is totally underrated.
Kingpin wrote:I'm afraid I did struggle, which in that regard I will admit it is tricky to find examples of shows that are set in the future and are good. I'm sure there's more I'm missing but I'm struggling to remember them. The only two other examples that come to mind are ones I wouldn't say are good, TMNT: Fast Forward, and the Casper cartoon where he was in the far-flung future. One further one I do recall, which had the descendants of Marvel's Avengers, but I don't know if that one was any good.
I don't remember the Casper futuristic cartoon, I also haven't seen the Marvel Avengers one. TMNT Fast Forward is seen by pretty much all fans as a jump the shark moment for the 2003 series.

You can add Stargate Infinity and Robocop Alpha Commando to that list. Watchable but not very good and great examples of the argument I've put forth.
Last edited by pferreira1983 on August 13th, 2017, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean shows that haven't continued from a previous series like your Sherlock Holmes example.
No, nuh-uh, nope. You don't get to redefine the whole point to suit your own end. It doesn't matter whether the show is a continuation of an existing one or something brand new, the sole focus for the exercise was shows set in the future that could be described as "good".

Seeing this bluster about shows getting cancelled, of not going down with purist fans, of not being obvious about where they're set, about being continuations of older shows rather than starting from scratch just strikes me as your unwillingness to admit you were wrong... you'd rather shift the goal posts around (which is what you're doing) than concede the point to someone else, which is typical behaviour for you.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean shows that haven't continued from a previous series like your Sherlock Holmes example.
No, nuh-uh, nope. You don't get to redefine the whole point to suit your own end. It doesn't matter whether the show is a continuation of an existing one or something brand new, the sole focus for the exercise was shows set in the future that could be described as "good".

Seeing this bluster about shows getting cancelled, of not going down with purist fans, of not being obvious about where they're set, about being continuations of older shows rather than starting from scratch just strikes me as your unwillingness to admit you were wrong... you'd rather shift the goal posts around (which is what you're doing) than concede the point to someone else, which is typical behaviour for you.
I'm not shifting any goalposts, I'm saying that characters from existing properties do not work in future shows. Stop getting into a hissy fit about this and being judgemental as I know you like to do. :roll:
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:Stop getting into a hissy fit about this and being judgemental as I know you like to do. :roll:
Thank you for proving my point that you're unwilling to concede anything to anyone. I think this will give you some insight into why you find very few people willing to agree with you - you're never willing to reach some sort of compromise with anyone else.
Alphagaia liked this
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:Stop getting into a hissy fit about this and being judgemental as I know you like to do. :roll:
Thank you for proving my point that you're unwilling to concede anything to anyone. I think this will give you some insight into why you find very few people willing to agree with you - you're never willing to reach some sort of compromise with anyone else.
I literally just wrote something similar in a seperate thread. Pferreira Can't admit when he/she is wrong or misguided. Frankly, it's annoying.

Edit: oh and just my two cents? Batman Beyond is a GREAT show. Infact the whole TimmVerse is great. Batman TAS started it all and is a landmark series but then we get Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, JL and JLU plus the lesser titles like Static Shock and Zeta.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:Thank you for proving my point that you're unwilling to concede anything to anyone. I think this will give you some insight into why you find very few people willing to agree with you - you're never willing to reach some sort of compromise with anyone else.
It doesn't give me any insight except how close minded and judgemental you are. You haven't proved any point. My previous post explains exactly what I meant. As I said stop having a hissy fit, you're embarassing everyone.
RichardLess wrote:I literally just wrote something similar in a seperate thread. Pferreira Can't admit when he/she is wrong or misguided. Frankly, it's annoying.
You know who annoying here? You!!! Also no one asked for your opinion thanks. Now go and be a good troll and bully somebody else. :wink:
By RichardLess
pferreira1983 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:Thank you for proving my point that you're unwilling to concede anything to anyone. I think this will give you some insight into why you find very few people willing to agree with you - you're never willing to reach some sort of compromise with anyone else.
It doesn't give me any insight except how close minded and judgemental you are. You haven't proved any point. My previous post explains exactly what I meant. As I said stop having a hissy fit, you're embarassing everyone.
RichardLess wrote:I literally just wrote something similar in a seperate thread. Pferreira Can't admit when he/she is wrong or misguided. Frankly, it's annoying.
You know who annoying here? You!!! Also no one asked for your opinion thanks. Now go and be a good troll and bully somebody else. :wink:
No one asked for an opinion on an online forum? Nicely done.

Yes. I'm the troll. I'm the one who lies when I'm proven to be wrong over and over and over and over again.
By pferreira1983
RichardLess wrote:Yes. I'm the troll. I'm the one who lies when I'm proven to be wrong over and over and over and over again.
And how did you reach the conclusion that I lie? Why would I do that exactly? Please, I'm all ears.
By RichardLess
pferreira1983 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Yes. I'm the troll. I'm the one who lies when I'm proven to be wrong over and over and over and over again.
And how did you reach the conclusion that I lie? Why would I do that exactly? Please, I'm all ears.
You lied about the Spiderman thing. You are acting as if the issue was if the blu Ray was out when *you* posted that it was out when that was never what we were talking about. Your stance was clearly that the blu ray had been released prior to the leak. Now you say "no I meant when I made the post the blu ray was out". It's a bunch of non sense. You are a liar
By pferreira1983
RichardLess wrote:You lied about the Spiderman thing. You are acting as if the issue was if the blu Ray was out when *you* posted that it was out when that was never what we were talking about. Your stance was clearly that the blu ray had been released prior to the leak. Now you say "no I meant when I made the post the blu ray was out". It's a bunch of non sense. You are a liar
So you've completely misinterpreted me but because of your ego you haven't thought that might be what occurred.

By the way, you know who you remind me of?

By Styrofoam_Guy
pferreira1983 wrote:
I really don't think Kingpin is embarrassing everyone. :wink:
By timeware
This is where I'm going to jump in and defend Kingpin here. I believe he's been fair in his conversations with you Pferreia. The only person your embarrassing right now is yourself. Sure it's fun to debate Richardless and prove he's wrong but it's kind of gotten to the point where your digging yourself a hole.
So my advice is to stop picking fights before AJ jumps in and actually does hit the Ban button.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote:I appreciate the comments guys. I decided to go ahead with banning pferreira1983 last night/this morning as he'd had enough chances to try fit in better here, and to tone down some of his language and actions.
That's some good news.
After I realised any discussion with him went nowhere, in the past months I just ignored him for the most part, and it seemed to turn him against others. Good riddance.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]