Ok, on to Saturday, August 26th's progress.
I started by removing the masking tape around the power cell as I was afraid it didn't work. But it totally did! I was impressed. Look at it! The glorious cleanliness! Now I need to study reference shots to see if these surfaces need to be radius blended together, covering up this greatness hahaha.
When I first started attaching greebles, I stripped the hole on the ion arm cap for the house barb. To remedy this I poured glue into the hole. Then I inserted the barb fitting, clamped it down, and set aside to cure.
I grabbed the synchronous generator and cleaned up all its expoxie gap filler. Came out nice.
Cleaned up a few spots on the crack gen and gun mount. Most notably where the two join together.
Drilled some holes to clamp down the little chamfered shelf that sits under the hga. Does that little shelf thing even have a name?
I used the red plexiglass that I'll be using for the cyclotron widows as a leveling surface, pressed the little shelf in place, and transferred the hole locations, BUT only on one side. The adjoining gun mount surface is slightly off level.
I widened the holes for the screws to go through and drilled the first holes on the shelf on the one side I transferred them to. Then I screwed that side down.
With that side secured in place I used the plexiglass leveling surface again, pressed the shelf up to it while pushing the gun mount up to the shelf and transferred the last two holes on that side. Then I drilled them out.
Applied a liberal amount of glue and screwed it into place. For those with a keen eye, yes, I messed up the first outer hole on the second side and had to redo with another hole. I didn't use masking tape on the show side as I'll just be covering it with epoxy to blend the sides together.
I wanted those curved details on the crack gen around the tube/hose area that makes it look less blocky. I mixed up some apoxie sculpt for this. I rolled short, thick tubes to put in the places to be worked. Then I took a scrap flat piece of styrene that fit on top as a level guide. I wetted both the styrene and my finger tip and pushed the expoxie into place. By wetted, I mean I just spit on them from time to time. Sounds gross but works perfect! Lol. I didn't worry to much about getting it perfect. I actually put more material than I intend to be there as I'll be abraising it down with joint killing scratchy paper.
Blended the surfaces on the opposite side where the hose goes in. Used my pinky finger instead of index on this side for a smaller radius. Just made expoxie worms and squished them down. Spit on my finger a bunch as I smoothed it all out and made it even. Minimal clean up will be needed it looks like.
By this time the glue on the chamfered shelf was cured a bit so I did the same there. Squished expoxie worms with a spitty finger.
That was all for Saturday's progress. Now that I'm caught up on posts, I can relax and start working on it today! Stay tuned fellow busters!
"Don't be a crazy!" - Alan Hawkins
"Let's just not get bogged down in print tolerances, as spending six years cutting a perfect pack is all blown away once the thickness of the PAINT is introduced! hahaha" - johnnyace_pi
0.125" Styrene Proton Pack Scatch Build Thread
Rothco to Nomex Uniform Upgrade Thread