Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4897849
Alphagaia wrote:Well, it just went all according to plan. It's a problem I have with a few issues lately, the ghosts are not really troublesome to capture. Point, shoot, win. I liked the ending, just not 'The Big Battle'.
To be clear, it didn't go to plan. They thought removing and trapping the ghost would solve the problem. They had to improvise and cross the streams to close the breach.

But on them not being hard to catch. Yeah, that's valid. Jonas in #1 and the golf course ghost in #2 were one in done. Pirate ghosts in #3, in the middle - an annoyance because there were so many. Mega Spook Jr. in #4 and Moby Dick in #5 took a bit more strategy. But I take it you'd like to see a longer protracted bust with more back and forth between the GBs and the entity? It's something I could go for more of, myself. Yeah, it's easy to wave the only-so-many-pages flag but that's a reality. Erik's got story and seeding to get through and that's hardly a lot of proton streams. It's pretty much part and parcel of the movies.

But yeah, The Video Game. All that and a bag of chips. Lot's of fun. Because they also dealt with corporeal and unstable entities as well. Golems. Not an easy feat like ghosts. And yeah, they made one in Volume 2, the Meat Golem.

So 'The Big Battle' could or should have been more than a page, exchanging more shots with the BYG as the Mobile-Trap pulled it in.
By philmorgan81
#4897851
I was curious in the panels where the universes were trying to shift back to normal. Will the residual momories stay around for awhile. I mean after all the shifting around are the Prime Ghostbusters fully aware of all the ATC's experiences and Vice Versa? I am real curious if this will come into play in ATC's future issues.
This Post Contains Spoilers
User avatar
By Lee FW
#4897931
I think I've figured out why I was a little underwhelmed with the boss battle as opposed to some of the others, it wasn't because it was so easy to bust, not every catch needs to be crazy difficult one...I think it was more to do with how this was the big opportunity to have all the busters together and riffing off one another but instead they all felt weirdly disconnected in separate scenarios.

I get that it's a difficult balance with 8 unique characters and a squeeze with page space but I think I would've liked to have seen more interaction between them all as one big team.

One of my fave things about the Times Square battle in the movie, how they all had different qualities and equipment to bring to the fight and how it was choreographed to showcase each while working together (especially in the extended unfinished version that recently surfaced) I feel a few more pages would have really helped to give us more banter and some fun visuals.

I may sound down on this issue but far from it, what we got was some top quality work, guess I'm just greedy in wanting more!

One thing that did occur disconnected to this last point, Egon felt oddly sidelined in this arc, especially after the two worlds melded. You'd think him especially would've had some great moments with Holtzmann and Kevin but we never really got them... do you think this was a Ghost corps directive to see how the teams would work together without too much reliance on having to use Egon? I mean he had one of my favourite parts in the entire arc in the first issue down in the sewers but then never really had his moment after this. (I'm an Egon fan through and through so maybe there's never enough Egon from my perspective and am looking to hard at this)
zeta otaku liked this
User avatar
By groschopf
#4897953
I liked aspects of the series, but I can't escape the feeling that this arc was supposed to feature those kids and that ghost more prominently. I may be mistaken, but the set-up in the annual and the series title versus the upcoming collection's suggest that the Answer the Call crew was a late edition to the arc.

Image

The kids wound up being more of a deus ex machina plot device than characters themselves.
If we had spent more time getting to know them, the apparition in the last book might have had more impact.
This Post Contains Spoilers


One can't help but feel that IDW came in at the last second and requested the GB16 crew's late edition in order to promote the upcoming Answer the Call arc. Mind you, I have no problem at all with the GB16 crew -- I loved watching Holtzmann bounce off of another dimension -- I just feel that the story was a bit needlessly complicated given how little the new class had to do.
By philmorgan81
#4897954
groschopf wrote:I liked aspects of the series, but I can't escape the feeling that this arc was supposed to feature those kids and that ghost more prominently. I may be mistaken, but the set-up in the annual and the series title versus the upcoming collection's suggest that the Answer the Call crew was a late edition to the arc.

Image

The kids wound up being more of a deus ex machina plot device than characters themselves.
If we had spent more time getting to know them, the apparition in the last book might have had more impact.
This Post Contains Spoilers


One can't help but feel that IDW came in at the last second and requested the GB16 crew's late edition in order to promote the upcoming Answer the Call arc. Mind you, I have no problem at all with the GB16 crew -- I loved watching Holtzmann bounce off of another dimension -- I just feel that the story was a bit needlessly complicated given how little the new class had to do.


Yeah I believe that the ATC's involvement was ordered by Ghost Corps at the last minute and it does show a bit. I believe it was not only to move forward with the ATC comic, but to also test the waters on how fans would feel if the ATC crew was to be brought into the original worlds Canon. It seems to work well in the comics. Now if only they could bring the worlds together in a future film without jumping the shark. :) :) :)
*NormalGamer* liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4897961
You could argue the separating/sidelining started since the back half of the Mass Hysteria arc. It does give the opportunity to give flexibility to the story and how it unfolds. Plus, they weren't always together in the movies or The Video Game, either. But yeah, with the cast ever expanding, it does feel like we see the original four suited up together in one spot less and less.

groschopf wrote:I liked aspects of the series, but I can't escape the feeling that this arc was supposed to feature those kids and that ghost more prominently. I may be mistaken, but the set-up in the annual and the series title versus the upcoming collection's suggest that the Answer the Call crew was a late edition to the arc.
Yes, it was a more straight forward arc of them teaching the teens then Ghost Corps came back and suggested the ATC team. It was around the time of the 2017 annual so Erik did some adjusting to tease the ATC team, too .It's worth noting I suppose that Kelly Thompson hinted she had to keep the ATC comic a secret for a long time (more than 9 months from when it was announced). So it was in the works since last year when the movie came out. Maybe it was in part to test the waters and squash any doubts about sales on a solo title.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on September 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer* liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4898095
Figured out two more easter egg from #6.
*On page 6, panel 3, there's a Milton Bradley RGB 100 piece Jigsaw puzzle on the foot lockers when Mel talks to Holtz in the Firehouse. It's the one with Stay Puft Marshmallow Man standing outside the Firehouse.
*On page 11, panel 4, over at the Movieland Theater, under the boards for the movie playing, there's a yellow sign with kanji. That's the 'Eat In Take Out' sign above Zhu's Authentic Hong Kong Food's garage (where Ecto-1 is parked). It's the sign at the top of the other 2.

In terms of the August sales, 300th place was 5621 units so Ghostbusters 101 #6 missed the cut off and we won't get to know how much it sold. At least, implicitly it sold less than #5 and less than 5621.
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4898099
robbritton wrote:That's disheartening. Endlessly baffled by the fact that transformers and turtles can always pull in an audience, but Ghostbusters always struggles. I swear they existed in equal regard when I was a young 'un!
Preaching to the choir but comparatively, GB isn't being endlessly rebooted like Transformers and TMNT is across mediums. That could be it. Branding? Idk.
By philmorgan81
#4898104
mrmichaelt wrote:
robbritton wrote:That's disheartening. Endlessly baffled by the fact that transformers and turtles can always pull in an audience, but Ghostbusters always struggles. I swear they existed in equal regard when I was a young 'un!
Preaching to the choir but comparatively, GB isn't being endlessly rebooted like Transformers and TMNT is across mediums. That could be it. Branding? Idk.


Oh no. I had a wonderful time reading this latest event, but I'm am wondering if there were some that read Ghostbusters 101 # 1 anticipating this to feel like a big event, but because of the slow burn with 3 issues in and the teams have met, but hardly anything is happening. I was wondering if that contributed to lower sales because those that weren't getting pulled in just didn't bother buying the rest. I had a ball with it, but I know there are fans out there that are less forgiving. :) :) :)
By philmorgan81
#4898161
Seth Rex wrote:I know at least one person who probably didn't read it, simply because it had the 'Answer the Call' crew in it.



Exactly! I wasn't fond of the ATC crew, but that wasn't going to stop me from seeing how these 2 teams would mesh. For the most part I got what I wanted out of it. For instance one of the parts I loved most was the part Where Ray chews out Holtzman for just blowing ghosts up. I think that was an issue that angered many fans. The fact that this scene exists is just refreshing to me. It shows just how green the ATC crew really are. With the lack of a montage it felt off how the ATC crew only captured one ghost and then in the climax they are suddenly super good at spook busting. Now that the ATC crew has worked along side the originals and there eyes are more open to a world bigger than their own. I feel that the ATC characters are ready to evolve. :) :) :)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on September 14th, 2017, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By *NormalGamer*
#4898167
philmorgan81 wrote:
Seth Rex wrote:I know at least one person who probably didn't read it, simply because it had the 'Answer the Call' crew in it.



Exactly! I wasn't fond of the ATC crew, but that wasn't going to stop me from seeing how these 2 teams would mesh. For the most part I got what I wanted out of it. For instance one of the parts I loved most was the part Where Ray chews out Holtzman for just blowing ghosts up. I think that was an issue that angered many fans. The fact that this scene exists is just refreshing to me. It shows just how green the ATC crew really are. With the lack of a montage it felt off how the ATC crew only captured one ghost and then in the climax they are suddenly super good at spook busting. Now that the ATC crew has worked along side the originals and there eyes are more open to a bigger world than their own. I feel that the ATC characters are ready to evolve. :) :) :)


@ *referring to bold*

Indeed. As we seen in the final issue of GB 101, It's yet another step in expanding the mythos as well as another step in fufilling Akyroyd's original vision. ^_^
philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
#4898184
*NormalGamer* wrote:
philmorgan81 wrote:

Exactly! I wasn't fond of the ATC crew, but that wasn't going to stop me from seeing how these 2 teams would mesh. For the most part I got what I wanted out of it. For instance one of the parts I loved most was the part Where Ray chews out Holtzman for just blowing ghosts up. I think that was an issue that angered many fans. The fact that this scene exists is just refreshing to me. It shows just how green the ATC crew really are. With the lack of a montage it felt off how the ATC crew only captured one ghost and then in the climax they are suddenly super good at spook busting. Now that the ATC crew has worked along side the originals and there eyes are more open to a bigger world than their own. I feel that the ATC characters are ready to evolve. :) :) :)


@ *referring to bold*

Indeed. As we seen in the final issue of GB 101, It's yet another step in expanding the mythos as well as another step in fufilling Akyroyd's original vision. ^_^



I Know Right? The Fact that ATC is set in a different world just makes it feel like things have come full circle. You're right I think that was Dan's original concept, something like set in the future the story was going to still focus on one team of Ghostbusters, but it was going to be implied that there were a whole bunch of Ghostbusters from different branches all over the world and from different dimensions. I just love how the series started grounded and just grew into a world that is rich and full of fantastic supernatural horror, but yet still feels like it works within the worlds grounded concept. :) :) :)

I wonder if all this dimension jumping fun in the comic and all the Franchise expansion happening both locally and interdimensionally will influence what will eventually be Ghostbusters Ecto Force. Time will tell. :) :) :)
*NormalGamer* liked this
By philmorgan81
#4898235
mrmichaelt wrote:Tristan Jones revealed he might be drawing variant covers for Ghostbusters next year.
https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/908442506555154432


:). Well I know that the TMNT crossover will finish off the year for the original boys in grey. I know that ATC should run till February 2018 IF it is not pushed back. ;). So does that mean that we will be getting more Prime Ghostbusters comics next year!? :) :) :)
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4898843
It appears the next couple of story arcs will be mini-series, "Not my call, but the next few things I know about are shorter runs. They still flow more or less the same way, just without a growing number on the cover."
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/913184089502572545
User avatar
By *NormalGamer*
#4898844
mrmichaelt wrote:It appears the next couple of story arcs will be mini-series, "Not my call, but the next few things I know about are shorter runs. They still flow more or less the same way, just without a growing number on the cover."
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/913184089502572545


So, in other words; the miniseries format is the standard for the GB ongoing comics from this point forward. I'm okay with that. Better than nothing and the format fits Ghostbusters stories well. ^_^
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4899947
Annual 2018 releases in February and features Samhain (who appeared back in the 2015 annual).

Tom Waltz posted a teaser/cover.
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/921071760425885696

Erik already had to cut 2 pages from the script.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/921150861446975499
*NormalGamer* liked this
By philmorgan81
#4899950
Ah this warms my heart. I love how Erik says that the stories that are ahead are not really a volume 4, but that he will keep the stories coming as if it were a volume 4. I am ready to get back to some more self contained stories. That will make the BIG event that much more breath taking when and of course IF it comes around. I have no clue what is in store, but if everything goes well in 2018. My money is seeing a Ghostbusters Comic Mega Event in 2019 just in time for the franchise's 35th Anniversary. I could be assuming too much, but I see exciting things on the horizon. :) :) :)
User avatar
By *NormalGamer*
#4899951
philmorgan81 wrote:Ah this warms my heart. I love how Erik says that the stories that are ahead are not really a volume 4, but that he will keep the stories coming as if it were a volume 4. I am ready to get back to some more self contained stories. That will make the BIG event that much more breath taking when and of course IF it comes around. I have no clue what is in store, but if everything goes well in 2018. My money is seeing a Ghostbusters Comic Mega Event in 2019 just in time for the franchise's 35th Anniversary. I could be assuming too much, but I see exciting things on the horizon. :) :) :)


Guess well see what happens in the coming years. ^_^
philmorgan81 liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4900206
Some thoughts about the 2018 annual:Samhain's festival is associated with taking place October 31 to November 1. Unless they time skipped a year ahead, this story takes place in the same year as the comics TMNT/GB vol 1 up to TMNT GB vol 2. Which means, the Salem Witch Museum Ghost that Peter and Kylie helped Melanie with in Boston takes place at the time as the Samhain story so those 3 are involved since they were there around 6 pm (the cases from Ghostbusters International #7-11 take place after the main story which was in May).

If you picked up the Insight Editions' Tobin's Spirit Guide, there's a Samhain entry and Burnham is on the record saying it's canon with the IDW world. In an episode of the Crossrip Podcast last year June, at ~2:29:37-2:30:04, Burnham said the following, "All the stuff in there, uh, I wrote to work with the comics. So the version of Samhain, for example. The details I put in there. If I were to use Samhain, that's the details I would use. And I, uh, yeah, I did -- I did think at one point last year that we're gonna sneak him into International but not going to be any room for him in International but I still want to use him at some point." So nice preview of the story granted y'know Burnham doesn't change his mind. ;)
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4900424
In this week's Turtles Tuesday Erik and Tom talked about TMNT/Ghostbusters 2 but the big reveal was around 13:46, they mention:

*The 2018 annual became a focus for Kylie

*Starting in March 2018, a 8 issue maxi-event will launch titled "Ghostbusters: Crossing Over"
**Prime, ATC, New, Chicago, Extreme, Sanctum of Slime, and Real GB teams appear
**Annual 2018 sets it up
**A variety of GB villains will be appearing like Samhain 'from across the gamut of Ghostbusters properties and histories'
**Crew will be Erik, Dan and Luis
User avatar
By *NormalGamer*
#4900425
mrmichaelt wrote:In this week's Turtles Tuesday Erik and Tom talked about TMNT/Ghostbusters 2 but the big reveal was around 13:46, they mention:

*The 2018 annual became a focus for Kylie

*Starting in March 2018, a 8 issue maxi-event will launch titled "Ghostbusters: Crossing Over"
**Prime, ATC, New, Chicago, Extreme, Sanctum of Slime, and Real GB teams appear
**Annual 2018 sets it up
**A variety of GB villains will be appearing like Samhain 'from across the gamut of Ghostbusters properties and histories'
**Crew will be Erik, Dan and Luis


Should be very excitng! ^_^
By philmorgan81
#4900438
mrmichaelt wrote:In this week's Turtles Tuesday Erik and Tom talked about TMNT/Ghostbusters 2 but the big reveal was around 13:46, they mention:

*The 2018 annual became a focus for Kylie

*Starting in March 2018, a 8 issue maxi-event will launch titled "Ghostbusters: Crossing Over"
**Prime, ATC, New, Chicago, Extreme, Sanctum of Slime, and Real GB teams appear
**Annual 2018 sets it up
**A variety of GB villains will be appearing like Samhain 'from across the gamut of Ghostbusters properties and histories'
**Crew will be Erik, Dan and Luis



Oh my God!!!!! I was so totally hoping an event like this was in the works, but it is a wonderful feeling to actually see it come to light. I have so much excitment running through my veins right now it is not even funny. :) :) :)

Forgive me I realize this may be a real silly thing to get this excited about, but I have just really been enjoying the IDW GB run. It has been a blast these past 6 years and I am so happy to see more coming. I need to catch my Breath. ;) :) :) :)
*NormalGamer*, mrmichaelt, robbritton and 2 others liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4900439
philmorgan81 wrote:Oh my God!!!!! I was so totally hoping an event like this was in the works, but it is a wonderful feeling to actually see it come to light. I have so much excitment running through my veins right now it is not even funny. :) :) :)

Forgive me I realize this may be a real silly thing to get this excited about, but I have just really been enjoying the IDW GB run. It has been a blast these past 6 years and I am so happy to see more coming. I need to catch my Breath. ;) :) :) :)
Yes, it feels like this is the culmination of Erik's run like those two upcoming Avengers movies are the end of Phase 3 and the conclusion of the ongoing story that started with Iron Man in Phase 1 but it's not THE end, and the story will continue with a new thread.

But ah -- if at the end of this 8 issues, Winston doesn't take a sledgehammer to the teleporter - that would be a shocker. :P

And by the middle of this series, we'll probably get to see first teaser of the GB animated movie as well and who knows what else they got cooking.
  • 1
  • 87
  • 88
  • 89
  • 90
  • 91
"No Ghost" cupcakes!

I had a surprise birthday party, and had some pret[…]

Yesterday, Erik Burnham confirmed there would be a[…]

Getting a handle on things........also drilled som[…]

Herd of one with a cd eject off a computer