Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
User avatar
By Kingpin
Moderator
#4895963
pferreira1983 wrote:I've been told that the IDW writers have really been struggling to make the ATC team likable compared to the originals. Apparently the only person that works well off the original team is Patty.


It wasn't necessary to post three near-identical copies of the same post about the comic. Whilst I'm still yet to read #4 due to complications with my comic stall, saying that the IDW creative team have been "struggling" to make the ATC crew likeable is an exaggeration.
mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer*, robbritton and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4895966
pferreira1983 wrote:I've been told that the IDW writers have really been struggling to make the ATC team likable compared to the originals. Apparently the only person that works well off the original team is Patty.
Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team. The argument can me made against Abby and her snide comments but she gets taken down a peg every so often.
robbritton liked this
By pferreira1983
#4896005
Kingpin wrote:Whilst I'm still yet to read #4 due to complications with my comic stall, saying that the IDW creative team have been "struggling" to make the ATC crew likeable is an exaggeration.


mrmichaelt wrote:Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team.
That's what I've been told.
User avatar
By robbritton
#4896047
mrmichaelt wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I've been told that the IDW writers have really been struggling to make the ATC team likable compared to the originals. Apparently the only person that works well off the original team is Patty.
Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team. The argument can me made against Abby and her snide comments but she gets taken down a peg every so often.


Also it'd be very unlikely for Erik not to address this, he's pretty good at that sort of thing. It was said elsewhere on the forum, but it does fit with her established character that she'd be annoyed to encounter a team who are loved and encouraged in their dimension, and would lead with snark. Think how she was when cross with Erin until the Aldridge Mansion encounter - putting down her tenure, and referring to her "stupider" college. It does fit.

(Add standard bit about how they should turn the whole franchise over to Burnham here! :D )
Kingpin, mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4896056
During the Ghostbusters 101 panel, Tom Waltz confirmed the story follows up on the events of the Ghostbusters 101 mini-series. The Answer The Call team incorporates some lessons they learned from the prime team like new ways to use their equipment and containing them instead of destroying them. Waltz teased Kelly Thompson thinks everyone is going to like seeing Kevin's fears.

Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqVzKiYOlQw
Timestamp: 9:15-11:03
Quote: "The story is basically there, it's going to follow on 101. They learned some lessons from the prime Ghostbusters, that's what we call them at IDW now because we have so many Ghostbusters, so the prime Ghostbusters have shown them some new ways to use their equipment. If you've been reading 101, Ray kind of scolded Holtzmann on this idea you can't just destroy the ghosts. You have to do something to them. You have to contain them or they're just going to come back and probably come back worse so they're taking those lessons and incorporating them to their world but what they're going to run into is a ghost that feeds on their nightmares and their fears and turns them around back on them. And in some ways that's going to be horrifying and maybe too much for these girls to take on we'll find out, uh Kelly promised me she though thought that she thinks everyone is going to want to see what Kevin's dreams are like. And how those are going to turn out."
robbritton, zeta otaku, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
By philmorgan81
#4896069
robbritton wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team. The argument can me made against Abby and her snide comments but she gets taken down a peg every so often.


Also it'd be very unlikely for Erik not to address this, he's pretty good at that sort of thing. It was said elsewhere on the forum, but it does fit with her established character that she'd be annoyed to encounter a team who are loved and encouraged in their dimension, and would lead with snark. Think how she was when cross with Erin until the Aldridge Mansion encounter - putting down her tenure, and referring to her "stupider" college. It does fit.

(Add standard bit about how they should turn the whole franchise over to Burnham here! :D )



That it does and I think in this coming issue, I do believe that we are going to get a scene with Abby and Erin that reveals just how sideswiped Abby is from finding out that other Ghostbusters teams exist in other dimensions.

mrmichaelt wrote:During the Ghostbusters 101 panel, Tom Waltz confirmed the story follows up on the events of the Ghostbusters 101 mini-series. The Answer The Call team incorporates some lessons they learned from the prime team like new ways to use their equipment and containing them instead of destroying them. Waltz teased Kelly Thompson thinks everyone is going to like seeing Kevin's fears.

Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqVzKiYOlQw
Timestamp: 9:15-11:03
Quote: "The story is basically there, it's going to follow on 101. They learned some lessons from the prime Ghostbusters, that's what we call them at IDW now because we have so many Ghostbusters, so the prime Ghostbusters have shown them some new ways to use their equipment. If you've been reading 101, Ray kind of scolded Holtzmann on this idea you can't just destroy the ghosts. You have to do something to them. You have to contain them or they're just going to come back and probably come back worse so they're taking those lessons and incorporating them to their world but what they're going to run into is a ghost that feeds on their nightmares and their fears and turns them around back on them. And in some ways that's going to be horrifying and maybe too much for these girls to take on we'll find out, uh Kelly promised me she though thought that she thinks everyone is going to want to see what Kevin's dreams are like. And how those are going to turn out."


Yeah it is amazing how such a simple thing like a cross over with the original Ghostbusters can make the ATC characters more fun and interesting. For me anyway I know there are people who loved them before, but now that they have teamed up with the originals they don't feel as seperate from them as they once did. They now feel like just another branch only set in another dimension. Now I know
I am probably getting way ahead of the big plan that IDW has, but if both these stories continue in comic form for the next couple of years could we see an Infinate crisis situation unravel in Ghostbusters? I mean the Ghostbusters/TMNT sequel is a good sign that the Ghostbusters are far from done with Dimension hopping. What if there is an entity so bad that it wants to destroy all reality so you bring in every Ghostbuster from every conceivable dimension. That is probably a pipe dream, but at this point I am not ruling anything out. :) :) :)
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4896088
philmorgan81 wrote:I am probably getting way ahead of the big plan that IDW has, but if both these stories continue in comic form for the next couple of years could we see an Infinate crisis situation unravel in Ghostbusters? I mean the Ghostbusters/TMNT sequel is a good sign that the Ghostbusters are far from done with Dimension hopping. What if there is an entity so bad that it wants to destroy all reality so you bring in every Ghostbuster from every conceivable dimension. That is probably a pipe dream, but at this point I am not ruling anything out. :) :) :)
Well, that ghost in the reflection from 101 #2 now knows how to disrupt the multiverse by shunting enough PKE matter of a ghost from one universe to another. Imagine if he/she/it figured out to do that to multiple dimensions at once...
By philmorgan81
#4896094
mrmichaelt wrote:
philmorgan81 wrote:I am probably getting way ahead of the big plan that IDW has, but if both these stories continue in comic form for the next couple of years could we see an Infinate crisis situation unravel in Ghostbusters? I mean the Ghostbusters/TMNT sequel is a good sign that the Ghostbusters are far from done with Dimension hopping. What if there is an entity so bad that it wants to destroy all reality so you bring in every Ghostbuster from every conceivable dimension. That is probably a pipe dream, but at this point I am not ruling anything out. :) :) :)
Well, that ghost in the reflection from 101 #2 now knows how to disrupt the multiverse by shunting enough PKE matter of a ghost from one universe to another. Imagine if he/she/it figured out to do that to multiple dimensions at once...


Mrmichaelt I love the way you think. ;) It is that kind of thinking that really gets me pumped for what IDW may have in store. I don't know if I'm am going to make it to 2019 without exploding from excitment. New Films, New Toys, New Shows, New Comics. There is so much to process. :) :) :)
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
User avatar
By J10kmn
#4896174
mrmichaelt wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I've been told that the IDW writers have really been struggling to make the ATC team likable compared to the originals. Apparently the only person that works well off the original team is Patty.
Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team. The argument can me made against Abby and her snide comments but she gets taken down a peg every so often.


I feel like her mind-set reveal in the latest 101 issue kinda sets her back at square one as far as her attitude goes. The others play exceptionally well off of the other guys and its a shame to see a character with a lot of potential delegated to being disgruntled the whole time.

That being said, once they're back in their own universe I am very excited to see how they take what they've learned and apply it to their reality. New equipment, new tactics, new character development. Its exciting to see what IDW can do with these ladies.
User avatar
By robbritton
#4896175
J10kmn wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:Whoever told you that was erroneous. There's only one writer on the comic. Patty, Holtzmann, and Erin are playing pretty well off the original team. The argument can me made against Abby and her snide comments but she gets taken down a peg every so often.


I feel like her mind-set reveal in the latest 101 issue kinda sets her back at square one as far as her attitude goes. The others play exceptionally well off of the other guys and its a shame to see a character with a lot of potential delegated to being disgruntled the whole time.

That being said, once they're back in their own universe I am very excited to see how they take what they've learned and apply it to their reality. New equipment, new tactics, new character development. Its exciting to see what IDW can do with these ladies.


I guess dramtically it makes sense that they not all be instantly enthusiastic, though, and it plays against type for it to be Abby rather than Erin. Anyway, I don't expect this'll be the last time we see the teams crossover, so next time we can enjoy them meeting as familiar equals!
User avatar
By J10kmn
#4896176
robbritton wrote:I guess dramtically it makes sense that they not all be instantly enthusiastic, though, and it plays against type for it to be Abby rather than Erin. Anyway, I don't expect this'll be the last time we see the teams crossover, so next time we can enjoy them meeting as familiar equals!


I 100% agree and think the plot point makes sense for her specifically as the one who continued to hunt the paranormal after Erin left and never let herself be deterred. It also gives Erin a nice moment of clarity and sureness that her character needed. I just feel like it went on a little too long. 4 issues of complaints in a 6 issue series. I would've loved for her to spend 1/2 of it pissy and then the other 1/2 chomping at the bit to learn everything she could. She may be a scientist with an axe to grind, but she is still a scientist.

I know it sounds like I'm just complaining at this point, but I honestly really love 101 so far. Just a minor gripe.
robbritton liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4897315
November solicits are out and ATC #2 is set for November 15
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP170501
"What Dreams May Come" Part 2! The hot new evil in town is terrorizing Manhattan and feeding off the population's fears in order to grow even more powerful. With a big bad growing by the second in scope and ambition, our heroes find themselves caught in nightmares based on their own fears... and their pasts!

Bullet points:
* This is it! Don't miss the ladies from the 2016 film in their very own series!
* Want to see what our ladies fear most? Here's your first and best chance!
* You DON'T want to see what Kevin fears most. Oh, you do? Well, okay, but we tried to warn you!
Should be interesting to see what Thompson explores with their backstories.
*NormalGamer* liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4897334
Seth Rex wrote:I wonder if we'll see more of Erin's past with the ghost of the neighbor from when she was a kid.
My thoughts exactly. I was literally just thinking about it an hour ago and recalled that because of the Ghosts From Our Past book, we know a lot about Erin and Abby's backstory but we don't know much about Patty, Holtzmann, and Kevin's in comparison.
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4898475
December solicits are out. ATC #3 is set for December 20. Logline gives away the big bad's name. Appears to be a Hobgoblin or Bugbear -- pretty much a bogeyman. 3 covers. Only Cover B was shown, an Artist's Edition by Jessica Hickman.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT170470
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT170471
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT170472
"What Dreams May Come" Part 3! The big bad evil aka Schreckgespenst aka Shrecky used its power to create living nightmares to drive a wedge between our heroes. And while the team struggles to come back together, Schrecky makes a bid for world takeover... obviously.
• This is it! Don't miss the ladies from the 2016 film in their very own series!
• What or who is powerful enough to cut through the team's fear and self-doubt to bring them back together? Is it KEVIN?! (Spoiler alert: it is not Kevin.)
• Will this be the issue where Holtzmann builds a weapon that either makes perfect scrambled eggs or destroys all life on earth? Ha! Trick question-that's EVERY ISSUE!
• Part of IDW's Artist's Edition Cover Month!
I'm going to guess Patty will save everyone.
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4898726
9/25: While bunch of teasers and random finds today all pertaining to ATC #1

Wip of Holtzmann crawling
https://twitter.com/Rin237/status/912404586840907776

Holtzmann hitting a button
https://twitter.com/Rin237/status/912422543335804928

Corin has 3 pages left and she's done with #1
https://twitter.com/Rin237/status/912428403533500421

Tom posted a colored panel of Holtzmann using a Proton Pistol
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/912446462981685248

Diamond updated their listings for #1 RI-A and RI-B
-RI-A is a photo cover and uses a promo photo from the movie
https://www.previewsworld.com/SiteImage/CatalogImage/STL058899?type=1

-RI-B uses a cover that Erica Henderson originally made for the 101 mini-series but for whatever reason they only used 1 of 2. This is the 2nd one
https://www.previewsworld.com/SiteImage/CatalogImage/STL058900?type=1

9/27: Howell finished b.g. on a page.
https://twitter.com/Rin237/status/913141545221672960
*NormalGamer* liked this
User avatar
By mrmichaelt
#4899114
Tom Waltz posted a completed page from #1 - 'just a tiny ghost child'.
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/915028006275506176
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLLUsdSVYAMU_bG.jpg:large

Also, Corin Howell did a very limited set of prints of her cover for #1 for sale at NYCC.
https://twitter.com/Rin237/status/915315399339716608
GBFans Shop Feedback

Just a quick update. The Clippard valves were deli[…]

TMNT/Ghostbusters 2 in November 2017

Issue #4 preview from Spook Central https://[…]

The ATC #1 Stan Lee Comic Box Variant will be in t[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the Ghost[…]