Hey everybody. Here is my first attempt at a proton pack. Right off the bat, let me say that I am very proud of my work, but I will admit it isn’t the most screen accurate pack in the world. I took some liberties and some shortcuts to get it completed by Halloween, and even then it was down to the wire. That's just how it is with two small kids in the house. If there is interest, I can provide some details about the build, including a parts list.

It is made out of diaper boxes and items from the dollar store, Lowes, Home Depot, an ALICE frame from Amazon, and a bunch of my prescription pill bottles.

I consider this to be my Mark I pack. I have begun making plans for the Mark II, which will reuse some of the Mark I but with some changes to make it sturdier and more accurate. The cyclotron and spacer need to be reworked and I would like to build a better wand. I'm also planning on building a trap and some goggles, but the new version of the pack will take priority.

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Switch625 on October 11th, 2017, 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By xyster101
Why hell yeah I want to see some build pictures. What was your thought process while doing this.
Final result looks great. Having just completed my own first pack, I know the hours that can go into this thing. Even harder with kids and a dead line. Nice work.
By Switch625
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

I was greatly inspired by Bradester's dollar store pack thread and I initially tried to build the pack exclusively out of items I found at the dollar store. For the wand, instead of pvc pipe, I used one of those water gun sticks cut in half. I built the body out of cardboard and used popsicle sticks for the heat sink. I also have lots of used pill bottles and such throughout the build. The switches and things were made out of random junk: push pins, sheetrock screw anchors, and other odds and ends.

I really thought I could find all the parts at the dollar store: pencil boxes, Tupperware, etc. but the dimensions were all off and I greatly questioned how sturdy it would all be, especially when I figured out how to mount the neutrino wand. The motherboard is made out of two pieces of foam core poster board, also from the dollar store. Cheap, but it got the job done.

The cyclotron is made out of a microwave plate cover with a spacer made out of a oil changing pan from the automotive section of the dollar store. I found some large washers at a hardware store, but I mistakenly got the wrong size, and as a result the holes for the lenses are too big. That's something I'll address with the Mark II.

I rigged the cyclotron to open so I could access the push lights on the inside. I don't have any photos of this, but I used magnets to hold it together. It wasn't very secure and I could feel it moving around when I would walk with it. I plan to remake the whole thing and rig it to have an external switch to activate the lights.

After multiple trips to the dollar store, I couldn't find anything that I was really satisfied with for the ion arm, power cell, etc. so I decided to make them out of cardboard. I was so pleased with the results that I decided to scrap the Tupperware and build the whole thing out of cardboard.

We have a baby and as a result we have lots of diaper boxes around. These proved to be perfect because they're wrapped in a laminated print that makes them practically indestructible.

Some bottle caps, more pill bottles, a couple of 5 hour energy drink bottles as Clippards and it was starting to come together. I cheated a bit and used a child's shoebox. It's slightly too big but it got the job done.

For the cyclotron lenses, I used a vinyl folder from the dollar store. It gave it a neat look, but it looked pretty flat.

It's amazing what some paint does.

At the last moment I found some larger reflectors that worked perfectly for the cyclotron lenses. They may not be screen accurate, but I think they give it a nice effect.

Well I think that's everything. I also used an ALICE pack from Amazon, some split loom tubing from Radio Shack, and other bits and pieces. The power cell light is a strobe light stick from the dollar store. I hid it in one of the injector tubes.

I'm quite happy with the wires. They're jump ropes from the dollar store that just happened to come in all the right colors. I also used coaxial cable connectors for the various connectors and I think they look pretty neat. Again, not accurate but inexpensive and they got the job done.

I can't think of anything else. I'd be happy to answer any more questions if there are any.
By Switch625
Well - we just moved into a new house and the Pack got destroyed in the move. Totally my fault - I had it out of the way for safe keeping but bumped into it and knocked it onto the floor. The wand fell apart and the cyclotron is in pieces. The good news is those were getting rebuilt for the revised pack for this Halloween so maybe it's a good thing. I haven't had a chance to fully assess the damage so I may have to rebuild the whole thing. We'll see.
By Switch625
After assessing the damage to my first pack, I decided the only option was to rebuild. I was able to reuse a few minor bits and pieces but for the most part I rebuilt the entire thing. I started the last weekend of July and as of today I'm about 97% complete.

Here's a short video of the lights in action:
https://youtu.be/yALuCbtsOa0

I purchased quite a few resin pieces as well as a new ribbon and a light kit. I also bought a resin neutrino wand. It has lights but they're pretty awful. I'll have to spring for some new ones at some point but for now I'm over budget and out of money for this year's project.

The wand is heavier than I anticipated. As a result, the foam core gunmount would not support the weight of the wand without some reinforcement. I inserted a block of wood into the gunmount box and mounted it directly to the motherboard. I borrowed that idea from Astyanax's thread. I still need to add a couple of brackets to secure it a little better but after that I'm done for this year.

The difference between last year's build and this year's build is huge. The Mark I was a great learning experience and I don't think the Mark II would have turned out so well had I not built that first one. The resin parts really help it look more like a proton pack.

There are plenty of improvements to make going forward. I'd like to swap out the split loom for a split-less loom and the wand desperately needs better lights. And then there's the matter of sound.

I must say I had a total blast building this pack. I also managed to build some goggles and a holster for my dollar store belt gizmo. I don't have a photo of myself in the suit with the pack on and I probably won't get one until Halloween, but I'll post it when I get one.
Last edited by Switch625 on October 10th, 2017, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forgot to add a list of parts:

- foam core boards
- microwave plate cover
- Eva foam floor mats
- motherboard is made out of the backing board to an old poster frame
- poster mailing tube for the booster
- plastic colored dollar store jump ropes for the wires
- gold coaxial cable connectors
- close enough elbow connectors
- resin castings for the bumper, shock mount, crank knob, PPD, ribbon cable clamp
- aluminum GB2 style v-hook
- reflectors for the cyclotron lenses
- blue plastic Tupperware lid for the power cell lens
- wooden blocks for the spacers

I think that's about it.
Here are some additional shots. I’d say I’m done for this year.

There’s still plenty of room for improvement. I want a GB1 or 2 ALICE pack waist strap. The HGA will probably need to be replaced at some point. It’s just the other end of the Pringles can I used for the N-filter. The filler plugs are just empty pill bottles and are a little short. The lights in the thrower are garbage and will be replaced next year. When I do that I’ll wire the pack lights and the thrower lights together.

The hook on the underside of the thrower is just a bent up piece of wire hanger. It’s ugly but it gets the job done.

The thrower is resin and too heavy to be supported by the foam core parts of the pack, so I separated the gunmount from the rest of the pack and inserted a piece of wood into it. I then attached the wood directly to the motherboard. I can remove the rest of the pack from the motherboard but the gunmount stays attached to the motherboard. Again, it’s ugly but it gets the job done. And you can’t really even tell it’s a separate piece.

Comparing this year’s pack to last year’s pack is like apples and oranges. Last year’s pack felt fragile and delicate. This year’s pack feels sturdy and tough. I’m not saying it won’t need some maintenance at some point, but this sucker is pretty solid. And it weighs about 12 pounds, so it’s not too much of an issue to wear it for an extended period.

I enjoyed this build very much. Sure, cutting out all the pieces and building all the boxes and parts was tedious but once it started to come together it really took on a life of its own.

Here’s my full cosmonaut uniform. I’m ready to take care of that cockroach up on twelve!

Radical Gordon liked this
    Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]