Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By McNally
I have a vague recollection of ANOVOS announcing that orders of in-stock items need to be placed by the 11th to ensure delivery by Halloween.

Tomorrow's the 11th. I take that to be a good sign that anyone hoping for their proton pack kit for this Halloween is going to be disappointed.
By Mercifull
You've got to feel a little sorry for Anovos in this instance though. Yes they are overpriced, but you do get really good quality from them. It's unfortunate for them that the Spirit Proton Pack (albeit only 80% scale) has come out at not only in time for halloween but at a hugely affordable price for the vast majority of cosplayers. If Spirit deliverd to the UK (without ridiculous shipping and customs fees) I'd totally be getting one too.
By ccv66
Anovos was quoted back in april with shipping " end of 2017" while the website still said shipping in spring, then summer and now fall. Most people bought it figuring they'd have it way before Halloween. Im assuming anovos made shipping promises they know they cant keep in order to boost sales. I feel sorry for the people that were planning on anovos packs for Halloween
By twmedford23
Feel sorry for Anovos? Really? They took their customers' money and have consistently missed their promised release dates. If I had given them $600+, I'd be streaming right now.
Mercifull wrote:You've got to feel a little sorry for Anovos in this instance though. Yes they are overpriced, but you do get really good quality from them. It's unfortunate for them that the Spirit Proton Pack (albeit only 80% scale) has come out at not only in time for halloween but at a hugely affordable price for the vast majority of cosplayers. If Spirit deliverd to the UK (without ridiculous shipping and customs fees) I'd totally be getting one too.
deadderek liked this
By DarkSpectre
I kinda expected when they announced it that this would happen. This is why there has never been a full scale accurate replica made available for purchase. There's too much to mass produce. That's probably why Spirit opted for an 80% scale and minimized fittings and such. Mattel hinted at a pack to go with the thrower and it never happened either.
twmedford23 liked this
By TimsGhost
Wasn't there an Anovos representative in this thread a while back? You'd think that they might want to give some information in the forums that supported them right out of the gate on this disaster. Next to 88mph, this is the worst customer service I have seen on a pre-order. Boo Anovos and poor business model. I still have my pre-order in... so maybe just a thread of faith left. Maybe if they miss this delivery too, I'll cancel and get the Spirit pack.
By GK45
Mercifull wrote:You've got to feel a little sorry for Anovos in this instance though. Yes they are overpriced, but you do get really good quality from them. It's unfortunate for them that the Spirit Proton Pack (albeit only 80% scale) has come out at not only in time for halloween but at a hugely affordable price for the vast majority of cosplayers. If Spirit deliverd to the UK (without ridiculous shipping and customs fees) I'd totally be getting one too.
I don't think that a $600 Pack kit has much competition with a $70 costume Pack.
Those who are interested in a $600 kit are not going to be getting a $70, inaccurate, incomplete, ill-proportioned toy instead.

Don't feel bad for Anovos., they have done this more then once.
They seem to take preorders, including payment before they even have a prototype and they have a habit of taking on more than they can handle, leaving customers hoping it will eventually come out while Anovos sits on their money and drags refunds out for months.

To say that Anovos should be blacklisted is harsh, as once they finally deliver the items seem to be of good quality but Anovos Preorders definitely should be.
I've never ordered from them and honestly, i have no intention of ever doing so seeing how they handle things.
DarkSpectre wrote:I kinda expected when they announced it that this would happen. This is why there has never been a full scale accurate replica made available for purchase. There's too much to mass produce. That's probably why Spirit opted for an 80% scale and minimized fittings and such. Mattel hinted at a pack to go with the thrower and it never happened either.
I don't necessarily think that is the case.
I think they went with the smaller scale so they could A, keep costs down and B, make it kid friendly.
With that tiny thrower they obviously aimed it mostly at kids.

I think the more likely reason that there has never been a full scale official pack replica before now is that, as far as the copyright holders were concerned, until 2016, Ghostbusters was pretty much a dead franchise.
It's also only recently that companies have begun to get into the "Prop Replica" business. It was pretty rare until the last few years to find officially licensed replicas aside from Star Wars and Trek.
By Kingpin
abaka wrote:Lol, I stopped caring about Anovos when I learned they weren't even bothering their asses to make the flightsuits authentic.
Could you refresh me on what Anovos has "half-assed" on the suits? And while we're on that topic, when shall we expect to see your production run of authentic flightsuits?

I'm not making excuses for some of the other issues Anovos have experienced, like the delays, but it's easy to criticise from a chair in front of a computer screen when you don't have got anything invested in the suits they're producing. Sadly even with licenced runs some concessions have to be made, be it on the grounds of production costs, methods, and even whether they can faithfully reproduce a suit to 100% without it straying into murky territory over whether the design of the suit is trademarked/copyrighted.
deadderek liked this
By GK45
I can't weigh in on the suits as I haven't seen much about them but having seen their Star Wars items unfold I have been unimpressed.
Anovos' charges a premium price for what tends to be good quality but ultimately inaccurate replicas.

The problem is, they charge a Premium price for a good product, not a premium product.
From what I have seen, their finished products are put together lazily, often requiring the customer to fix the mountings to be wearable.
The materials they use or include to complete the items are also generally of lower quality, the wrong color or simply inaccurate and most seem to just throw it all out if building it themselves.

Ultimately I don't know if there is anything "wrong" with Anovos products as a whole but whether you are looking for better accuracy or for a budget product there are usually just better options from nonlicensed sellers.
I have always thought Anovos leaned more towards the average customer that just wants to pay and get a finished product and wont necessarily be picking apart the details.
By abaka
Kingpin wrote:
abaka wrote:Lol, I stopped caring about Anovos when I learned they weren't even bothering their asses to make the flightsuits authentic.
Could you refresh me on what Anovos has "half-assed" on the suits? And while we're on that topic, when shall we expect to see your production run of authentic flightsuits?

I'm not making excuses for some of the other issues Anovos have experienced, like the delays, but it's easy to criticise from a chair in front of a computer screen when you don't have got anything invested in the suits they're producing. Sadly even with licenced runs some concessions have to be made, be it on the grounds of production costs, methods, and even whether they can faithfully reproduce a suit to 100% without it straying into murky territory over whether the design of the suit is trademarked/copyrighted.
Surely someone with the experience you have in this community should be able to point out whats half assed just by looking at Anovos prototype product.

There's pockets missing, some of the pockets that are there are inaccurate, the suits colour looks off...It doesn't even have an authentic fabric. When Anovos launched, a lot of people were excited to see authentic ripstop/herrngbone suits.

Currently what Anovos are offering is worse than an off the shelf Nomex.

Even the gloves are just off the shelf rubber gloves, no diamond texturing on the palms like the screen used ones?

For a licensed costume I'd be expecting a quality item. Not a generic piece of crap that looks worse than the average fan assembled item.

You're right though, it is easy to sit behind a chair in front of a computer screen and criticise....Especially when there is plenty to criticise.
By ccv66
Pretty sure the ripstop/herrngbone suits we're just a ghostbusters 2 thing and I'm not sure how you can judge color off of a computer screen.( The real color differs from the movie) The suit that was at wondercon was an update more accurate suit than they have on the website.. Its better to order a costume tailored suit, but it's more expensive without the extras anovos gives you.

It would have been nice if they did gb2 ripstop/herrngbone suits, since it's almost impossible for fans to get now
I do have there no ghost patch and Im impressed
By Kingpin
abaka wrote:Surely someone with the experience you have in this community should be able to point out whats half assed just by looking at Anovos prototype product.
Believe it or not but I don't have a photographic memory - however I've just taken a look at a few suits used in both movies, and the Anovos replica.

Looking at the pockets, the Anovos has the angled pockets on the chest, the pocket and pen pouch on the left arm, the two pockets on the left leg, the two pockets on the right, and even the zippers at the bottom of the legs. I don't currently have easy access to my own Nomex, so I can't check for whether there were any side pockets like you'd have on a conventional pair of trousers, but I can't say I remember my Nomex having any pockets like that. Having ticked off all the pockets I remembered from memory and the additional ones revealed in the screen-used costume photos, I'm not seeing where these pockets you've said are missing are on the Anovos suit.

The general location and proportions of the pockets look reasonable - without having an actual suit in hand and the same size as one of the ones used in the film, we'll never be able to conclusively prove the major details are far off from where they should be in terms of measurements.

As for the colour, here's a shot by Prop Store of the Venkman suit that was auctioned last month:

It looks within a reasonably acceptable spectrum to the real thing... which despite how it looked on-screen, was much more tan than grey (similar to how Kirk's gold tunic is closer to mustard in real-life).

As for the fabric, while it doesn't have the ziz-zag herringbone pattern, this isn't visible at all in the film. If it's not visible in the film, and often not even in photos of the actual costumes, does it matter if this detail isn't included? I can't recall if something about the weave was mentioned, and that it hadn't been cost productive... or if I'm just mis-remembering something. But I can believe that might have been a sacrifice made to make the suits more cost effective to produce.

Even so, I doubt anyone would have much luck sourcing the company and fabric from 30 years ago that was used in the original suits.
abaka wrote:Currently what Anovos are offering is worse than an off the shelf Nomex.
It still a world removed from the less-accurate Tru-Specs or Rothcos. It may not beat a Nomex, but it may well be the next best thing... and offer an option for folks who wouldn't be able to wear a normal Nomex, and would have to get something bespoke.
abaka wrote:Even the gloves are just off the shelf rubber gloves, no diamond texturing on the palms like the screen used ones?
Are the diamond pattern ones still in production? Is the diamond pattern visible in the film, or only in the production stills? I'll admit even I wasn't aware of the diamond pattern... I'm an off-the-shelf rubber glove guy. :P
abaka wrote:Not a generic piece of crap that looks worse than the average fan assembled item.
The Rubies jumpsuits (possibly excluding the Deluxe one) are generic pieces of crap, the Anovos option at least gives something that more closely approximates what's seen on screen.

The suit may not look 1:1 to a Nomex, but I think your criticism is a little heavy-handed.
By abaka
The Anovos suit is missing the side entry zippers that were on the flightsuits from the films.

The pen pocket on the sleeve should not have the flap

The colour, you can't honestly be telling me that you think the colours look similar. The sheen of the material alone is terrible.

Why the hell are people constantly talking about the "zig zag herringbone pattern"....if this was a GB2 suit I'd be complaining for the lack of herringbone, I'm complaining about the lack of Ripstop...It's easy to see that this suit was influenced by has-beens in the GBFans community who are still clinging to the knowledge we had back in the early 2000's.

I don't believe my criticism is heavy handed in the slightest when you consider this, "ANOVOS represents the pinnacle of quality in screen accurate uniforms and prop replicas accomplished by the manufacturing and marketing of limited offerings from movies, television and contemporary media."

I'm sorry, but a company that makes that claim in their first line of "About Us" should be ensuring they go the extra mile to include a close as possible product irregardless if it's visible when viewing on screen....Anybody who considers this the pinnacle is kidding themselves. Therefore I believe I am justified to consider the flightsuit "half assed".

As for the fabric. I have identified (after a little bit of trial and error) a source for a 99% match to the suit from the first film. (in terms of colour/fabric blend, pattern) Problem is they will only sell it in MOQ of 10,000 metres and it takes 10 metres to make one suit, so for a one off project from a fan it's not feasible.

What is a company like Anovos excuse considering they're mass producing these? I'm sure they're planning on making more than a 1000 of these. The fabric costs a little over $1.20 per metre so $12k in material to produce 1,000 suits that sell for £250 would result in sales of a quarter of a million more than covering the initial $12k cost.
By Lowberg
Lot of salt in here.

For those not in the know Ripstop is a much thinner fabric and feels totally different, much more breathable IMO.
It's used on many military style jackets, pants, and outdoor clothing as it's lightweight and rip resistant.
It's not an overly expensive or uncommon fabric. I own plenty of Chinese made military style clothing made with ripstop type material.

It has a checkered thread pattern that allows the fabric to be thin yet very strong and rip resistant:

You can also see it here around the patch on this photo of a production gb1 suit:

I'm just eager to see the proton pack kit come out, I think with some upgraded parts some of the talented folks here could make it look legit
Sav C liked this
By GK45
Kingpin wrote: It looks within a reasonably acceptable spectrum to the real thing... which despite how it looked on-screen, was much more tan than grey (similar to how Kirk's gold tunic is closer to mustard in real-life).

See, now that is an arguable point.
I'm very much in the camp of there being two types of replicas.
A screen used replica, that is to say it matches the materials and paints used for the actual on screen prop rather than what it may have looked like on screen.
Then, Idealized props, which are more along the lines of "If this were real it would look like this".
There is of course also the middle ground, something more like "On Screen Replicas". That would be a screen used replica with modifications to represent more closely what was seen on screen.

To use my favorite example of this, the QMX Com Badge, would be an Idealized prop.
It's shiny, smooth metal and attaches via magnets to replicate the way we see them used in the show.
On the other hand, the actual Com Badge used in the show was resin, matte or satin finish, the black line was added on with a sharpie and it was attached to the suit via velcro.
Now some people love the QMX Badge, others wouldn't touch it with a Bat'leth.
An example of an "On Screen" version would be a resin Badge that connected via Magnet.

I don't know that I really lean towards one type over the other, it very much depends on the specific item.
Personally, I think that replicas stand best when they lean towards one.
When you start compromising to please both sides you end up with a a final product that no one is completely happy with.
Kingpin wrote: As for the fabric, while it doesn't have the ziz-zag herringbone pattern, this isn't visible at all in the film. If it's not visible in the film, and often not even in photos of the actual costumes, does it matter if this detail isn't included?
In this case, YES. This is a custom made Replica suit, beyond that, it is a Premium Priced Replica.
Especially if, as Lowberg and abaka say, the correct type of fabric is readily available and even cheap.
Once released the suit will cost $300 + $40-$50 in shipping. If we take into account the accessories, Elbow Pads, Gloves, Belt, Hose and Connector, Name Tags, we can take around $100 off of that. Maybe $150 if you give them the "Premium" price.
That means you are paying $200-$250 for a Flightsuit that is, as you said yourself not even as good as an off the shelf Nomex, a suit you can get used for well under $100 and new for under $200.

Getting a used Nomex a size or two large used and then tailored to fit would still be cheaper or at worst equal to the cost of the suit at the preorder price. Except, then you have a suit custom tailored to your body.

Now, the real Flightsuit has a reason for being $200, it has to be a tough fabric that will put up with a lot of abuse, daily wear and tear and it needs to fire retardant, it is a piece of equipment.
The Anovos Flightsuit is a costume, it isn't fire retardant, it doesn't have to put up with abuse or daily wear and tear.
So why does it cost more than the real deal?
Kingpin wrote: Are the diamond pattern ones still in production? Is the diamond pattern visible in the film, or only in the production stills? I'll admit even I wasn't aware of the diamond pattern... I'm an off-the-shelf rubber glove guy. :P

Again, I have to lean towards, yes. The movie gloves had these features so the replica should as well.
Now, I can understand where that might be costly and in that case, sell them separately from the FlightSuit.
Yes, it would be a bumber to not have the "full package" but frankly you already don't, the one belt fob is not accurate to any used and is only the one so you need to buy them separately.
If you don't care about what is used in the movies you can just buy some washing gloves at the store or I even found my Chemical Gloves on Ebay for $5, they seem a bit thin but they'll work fine.

I think in the long run people would appreciate the accurate source of gloves and if they remove the gloves from the package"and the fob" then they could put that money into the suit.
It's a win, win, win. More accurate gloves, more accurate suit, more money for Anovos.

Lowberg wrote: I'm just eager to see the proton pack kit come out, I think with some upgraded parts some of the talented folks here could make it look legit
See, that is what I have a problem with.
You are looking at a purchase upwards of $700 and your thought on it is "If we spend even more money on this someone talented might be able to make it look good.".
How is that acceptable?

I don't know, maybe I'm cheap but if I were shelling out that kind of money I would be demanding perfection.
By abaka
GK45 wrote:You are looking at a purchase upwards of $700 and your thought on it is "If we spend even more money on this someone talented might be able to make it look good.".
How is that acceptable?

I don't know, maybe I'm cheap but if I were shelling out that kind of money I would be demanding perfection.

This really captures this whole Anovos problem I've discussed, they claim to be the pinnacle in props/costumes and myself and the poster above me have just tore their costume to shreds in just one post, and people are wanting to get someone talented to make something better out of their main prop.....If this is the pinnacle of Ghostbusters props/costumes then stone me dead.
By TK5759
Lowberg wrote:If you think $700 is a lot of money for accurate proton pack parts, you are mistaken lol. I think it's a good value for what they are offering.
Ummm....yeah. I'm willing to bet that the majority of us here wish that's all our packs cost.
Sav C liked this
By GK45
Lowberg wrote:If you think $700 is a lot of money for accurate proton pack parts, you are mistaken lol. I think it's a good value for what they are offering.
I think $700 is a lot of money for anything.
I can buy a car for $700, not a great car but a car that'll get me where I need to be for at least a few years.

I think if a single guy, working in his garage, halfway around the world can send me a kit of the same quality or better as Anovos', for the same price as Anovos, a large company, mass producing these parts on an assembly line, probably in china, then there is something wrong.

Once the kit actually comes out, or really any information on it's actual contents, that could change, they could come out with something amazing.
As it is now though it doesn't look like it has anything special going on and knowing Anovos' track record, what they ship will be good enough but at the price people are paying they will undoubtedly be unhappy with at least a few parts and likely need to replace them.
TK5759 wrote: Ummm....yeah. I'm willing to bet that the majority of us here wish that's all our packs cost.
It isn't all that this kit will cost either.
If you are looking for the kind of accuracy that you are willing to throw down $700+ on a pack then Anovos' past releases show you will be replacing more than a few things.

I should clarify that I am far from the target audience for this.
I would be unhappy with any full kit and am willing to sacrifice accuracy, to a point to keep the price down.
Things like a good vacuformed shell, plumbing parts, a 3d printed thrower body and a Dixie bracket. None of that bothers me much and leaves room for things like nice grips, a few metal parts, like the top knob and the like while still keeping the cost down.
Though I'll be honest I would probably upgrade to a proper Vhook at some point
By Kingpin
GK45 wrote:I'm very much in the camp of there being two types of replicas.
I'm familiar with what you speak, like the Aliens Colonial Marines gear looking olive drab on-screen, but being a mud-like colour in the flesh. I get your point regarding the colour.

But I'm afraid I will have to disagree about the fabric pattern, it's a detail that even though you know it's there... it is invisible in most instances. It's rather like Aragorn's whet stones... Viggo Mortesen felt Aragorn should have a whet stone amongst his gear when they were filming The Lord of the Rings, and while it's an interesting bit to help him get into character, the whet stone is never seen once throughout the trilogy.

Likewise the herringbone pattern, the weave/pattern is so fine that it simply blurs together on the film stock. Were the suit aiming to specifically replicate a military-issue flightsuit, rather than a Ghostbusters jumpsuit... I may see your point, if you get what I mean? But the pattern isn't visible in Ghostbusters, and it isn't an integral element or feature of the suits as we recognise them.
GK45 wrote:Now, the real Flightsuit has a reason for being $200, it has to be a tough fabric that will put up with a lot of abuse, daily wear and tear and it needs to fire retardant, it is a piece of equipment.
The Anovos Flightsuit is a costume, it isn't fire retardant, it doesn't have to put up with abuse or daily wear and tear.
So why does it cost more than the real deal?
Because as you noted yourself, it's still a bespoke suit, and Anovos doen't have the sort of production line or wholesale savings that something like a Air Force/U.S. Army supplier would get. This is a (relatively) small commercial operation catering to costumers.
GK45 wrote:It's a win, win, win. More accurate gloves, more accurate suit, more money for Anovos.
Eh... excluding ensuring the gloves are black, are close to the right length, and don't have any buckles or things on them, they're otherwise rather flexible (no pun intended) with regards to the design. Of the many elements of the suit, the gloves are one of the few parts I'd be most easy-going in letting in brands that don't have the specific pattern on them. I'm more of a stickler for getting a suit, fobs, straps and patches (Here's another area I'll gravitate towards an idealized replica... I respect the work that's gone into making accurate reproductions of the logo patches from the first film, I'll never wear one because the original patches were ugly) closer to being right.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By GK45
Kingpin wrote: But I'm afraid I will have to disagree about the fabric pattern, it's a detail that even though you know it's there... it is invisible in most instances. It's rather like Aragorn's whet stones... Viggo Mortesen felt Aragorn should have a whet stone amongst his gear when they were filming The Lord of the Rings, and while it's an interesting bit to help him get into character, the whet stone is never seen once throughout the trilogy.

Likewise the herringbone pattern, the weave/pattern is so fine that it simply blurs together on the film stock. Were the suit aiming to specifically replicate a military-issue flightsuit, rather than a Ghostbusters jumpsuit... I may see your point, if you get what I mean? But the pattern isn't visible in Ghostbusters, and it isn't an integral element or feature of the suits as we recognise them.
A stone in a pocket is not the same as the pattern of the fabric used for the clothing.
While we may not see the actual pattern of the fabric in the movies, we do see the effect that pattern has, the unique color, the sheen of the fabric, everything we see in the movie in regards to the suit is, whether we can see it or not, effected by the type of fabric used.
Everything from the pattern to the weight to the material used effects how the end fabric will look and behave.
Trying to replicate the look of the onscreen Suit with a different fabric is never going to work right and a suit of this price, directly made to replicate the on screen suit, should be made with similar fabric to replicate the effect it produced.

If it isn't made with the same fabric, then in my opinion, there is no point in it's existence because there is no difference between it and a Nomex, which can be purchased cheaper new or considerably cheaper used, even if you need to have it tailored.
Kingpin wrote: Eh... excluding ensuring the gloves are black, are close to the right length, and don't have any buckles or things on them, they're otherwise rather flexible (no pun intended) with regards to the design. Of the many elements of the suit, the gloves are one of the few parts I'd be most easy-going in letting in brands that don't have the specific pattern on them. I'm more of a stickler for getting a suit, fobs, straps and patches (Here's another area I'll gravitate towards an idealized replica... I respect the work that's gone into making accurate reproductions of the logo patches from the first film, I'll never wear one because the original patches were ugly) closer to being right.

Why do the gloves being accurate have to detract from anything else being accurate?
Especially if they are no longer a part of the Suit Package.

That being the case, how do you feel about the poor excuse for a Fob they include with the suit?
By Sav C
I never realized the GBII suits were herringbone. This is the first time I'm learning about ripstock to be completely honest. The details of the fabric certainly don't make it onto the screen. What I do know is that my favorite shirt is herringbone, and am now wondering whether both GBII suits were herringbone or if only the tan one was. If it was a suit for myself, I would probably want it to be identical to those used in the movie. If I wanted a suit to impress friends, I would be willing to be pretty lenient with detail, so long as it looks sharp.
By Kingpin
GK45 wrote:A stone in a pocket is not the same as the pattern of the fabric used for the clothing.
I admit it wasn't a perfect analogy, but sorta aimed towards my point.
GK45 wrote:While we may not see the actual pattern of the fabric in the movies, we do see the effect that pattern has, the unique color, the sheen of the fabric,
The colour can potentially be resolved with the right dyes, and there is no sheen to the fabric.
GK45 wrote:everything we see in the movie in regards to the suit is, whether we can see it or not, effected by the type of fabric used.
Everything from the pattern to the weight to the material used effects how the end fabric will look and behave.
I feel this discussion is starting to clutch at straws in the pursuit of finding faults/grounds to gripe about it. It's not a 100% perfect replica, but how many customers are seriously going to scrutinize it on the basis of it's sheen, or how the fabric behaves?
GK45 wrote:If it isn't made with the same fabric, then in my opinion, there is no point in it's existence
Guess it's a good thing it's not down to your final call. :)
GK45 wrote:Why do the gloves being accurate have to detract from anything else being accurate?
I don't understand what you're asking, in my previous post I said having 100% accurate gloves isn't essential to me. I'm not aware of saying that the gloves detracted from anything.
GK45 wrote:That being the case, how do you feel about the poor excuse for a Fob they include with the suit?
It can be improved... but perhaps the photographed one is simply a bad prototype/stand-in?
Sav C liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]