Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
It is complete. Recorded the whole film to digital tonight. Comes in at 8.2 GB so may be a little big for DVD but would probably fit on Blu Ray. I don't know anything about compressing the file or anything of that nature so I'm open to making this a collaborative effort if anyone else has that skillset.
Sav C, Alex Newborn liked this
Carpathian_Kitten wrote:I'm sure TK5759's rip of the movie will be exactly what some people want, but if anyone wants a smaller sized file, I have the original CENSORED ABC Premier from 1987 that clocks in at 1.39GB. I'll upload it to MEGA and post a download link here soon if anyone's interested.
So we've got another copy floating out there? Sweet! Mine was recorded in 1989--it was the ABC Sunday Night Movie (remember when they did those?). I'll be honest, the overall quality of mine is terrible. Picture is washed out, mono audio, and the tape itself is over 30 years old so the quality is quite degraded. Still, the nostalgia I felt while watching it during the transfer was amazing.

Okay then, what site does everyone recommend to upload this to? I'm going to upload as one big file. Need something easy.
Alex Newborn liked this
As someone who had it on VHS but somehow misplaced it, I am interested in seeing both copies.

What I'd really love is for someone with the technical know-how and the proper editing software to paste the cropped footage from the ABC version onto the wide-screen higher-quality film footage of the regular shots.

Similar to what they did with the 'human Jabba' compilations, making TV shots widescreen.

Alex
TK5759 wrote: So we've got another copy floating out there? Sweet! Mine was recorded in 1989--it was the ABC Sunday Night Movie (remember when they did those?). I'll be honest, the overall quality of mine is terrible. Picture is washed out, mono audio, and the tape itself is over 30 years old so the quality is quite degraded. Still, the nostalgia I felt while watching it during the transfer was amazing.

Okay then, what site does everyone recommend to upload this to? I'm going to upload as one big file. Need something easy.
I use MEGA (https://mega.nz/). It's a free and secure cloud storage solution. I think you get 50GB of space to use before you have to pay anything. You can share any files via copy and pasting a link with whoever you like.

Anyway, the file I have isn't a personal copy but someone else's I had access to. I don't want to simply share the link as every tom, dick and harry can see it and download the file (then charge unknowing GB fans when it should be free), so if you want to download it for your personal collection just PM me and I'll send you the link to my Mega account and you can grab a copy.
Alex Newborn wrote:As someone who had it on VHS but somehow misplaced it, I am interested in seeing both copies.

What I'd really love is for someone with the technical know-how and the proper editing software to paste the cropped footage from the ABC version onto the wide-screen higher-quality film footage of the regular shots.

Similar to what they did with the 'human Jabba' compilations, making TV shots widescreen.

Alex
BTW, I now have a newfound (refound?) love for your signature.
Sav C liked this
TK5759 wrote:I now have a newfound (refound?) love for your signature.
I was thinking you meant my stylized AN monograph when I draw artwork. Took me a second to realize what you meant.

I put that quote on there so many years ago, I don't guess I even notice it anymore.

It was sort of a litmus test at first, to see who got the reference.

;)

Happy Hallowe'en, by the way!

Alex
Sav C liked this
Carpathian_Kitten wrote:I'm sure TK5759's rip of the movie will be exactly what some people want, but if anyone wants a smaller sized file, I have the original CENSORED ABC Premier from 1987 that clocks in at 1.39GB. I'll upload it to MEGA and post a download link here soon if anyone's interested.
carpathian_kitten .. I would love a copy if you could PM me? Thanks!
Carpathian_Kitten liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:Yeah, where do we stand with this?

I'd love to get the file, or better yet, get one already burned to DVD if someone has it.

Alex
I've been messing around with various compression programs/converting to mp4, etc. Just upgraded my burner to BD-R so I could easily fit the whole movie onto a single disc.
WOW...

Just...

WOW.

Okay, as I no doubt mentioned in this very thread earlier, I once had this on VHS and cannot locate mine, which is a source of some aggravation as it was always one of my most cherished tapes.

I just got to watch one of the digitized copies and I skipped ahead to the ballroom bust scene, to watch for "What a knockabout of pure fun that was"... and it cuts to commercial with the announcer giving the station as WAAY Huntsville.

Knock me over with a feather, folks, that's the station I taped it off of!

I wonder if I made someone a copy, and that's how it eventually worked its way through the community and came back to me?

A nice belated birthday surprise. This is as close to getting my exact VHS back as imaginable.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on January 3rd, 2018, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noremon, robbritton liked this
The copy I'm reviewing, from WAAY 31 in Huntsville AL, says in the bumpers that it was an ABC Thursday night movie, and a trailer for the Princess Bride says opening tomorrow.

TPB premiered on Friday September 25th, 1987.

So the airdate of this broadcast would be Thurs. Sept. 24, '87.

I'm happy to reconstruct this info, as it was handwritten on the label of my lost tape and I feared such information was lost.

Alex
Carpathian_Kitten liked this
One drawback to the copy of the ABC broadcast which found its way back to me was that MOST of the opening promo was obscured by 35 seconds of static.

I compared it to a copy found on YouTube, which was also incomplete, and filled in the gaps with a shorter cutdown version used when they re-broadcast the film sometime later as a Sunday Night movie.

Here's my crude best-guess reconstruction made by splicing the three together. It's almost the perfect length to replace the staticky section... but has anyone got a better version of this?

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:One drawback to the copy of the ABC broadcast which found its way back to me was that MOST of the opening promo was obscured by 35 seconds of static.

I compared it to a copy found on YouTube, which was also incomplete, and filled in the gaps with a shorter cutdown version used when they re-broadcast the film sometime later as a Sunday Night movie.

Here's my crude best-guess reconstruction made by splicing the three together. It's almost the perfect length to replace the staticky section... but has anyone got a better version of this?

Alex
Man, why can't they do movie promos like this anymore? They were fun and got people excited for the movie.

The bumper on mine is totally different and mostly static.
Alex Newborn liked this
Something else of personal interest that I found in the "WAAY 31" file of GB-edited-for-TV...

Skip to what I believe is the first commercial break [in between Venkman's "No kiss?" and the 'petty cash' feast].

Just before the movie resumes, WAAY's weatherman Gary Dobbs chimes in with the exceedingly smarmy line "I believe you're gonna like it, and I'll have it for you tonight after the movie."

I've been interviewed by that guy. It was the for the first play I ever directed, back in the year 2000. He wasn't in the Huntsville market anymore, he was doing a morning show here in Florence. They even let my infant son Orion be on camera after the first segment; some of you may know him from Ghostheads.

Last time I saw Gary Dobbs was a few years ago; we were both extras in a crowd scene of 300+ for an episode of the TV show Nashville.

Alex
Noremon liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:I cut together a 20-minute exploration of the various alterations to Ghostbusters for its network TV premiere.

Enjoy it before it gets blocked!

Alex
Well, I was able to watch it before YouTube takes it down. :) Thanks for sharing!
Alex Newborn liked this
Interesting!

My pal Wade Haddock caught the tail end of Ghostbusters on Logo the other night, and said it had the "Wally Wick" and "some kind of rodent" lines. We compared frames from that to the ABC version, and they do appear to be widescreen versions.

Now, those links will die eventually, so if you guys are reading this after that happens and want to see them, I recut my examination of the ABC broadcast and included them at the very end.

[While this was on the surface completely unnecessary, it did have a purpose. I was having some freezing/lagging issues with YouTube on several videos, including the previous version. If I tried to re-upload them, it wouldn't allow duplicate copies. So I had to either delete the laggy ones, or slightly recut the files.]

I've also been entertaining myself lately by attempting to duplicate in widescreen some of the editorial sleight of hand used for those TV edits which did NOT utilize alternate footage, or in the words of Joe Medjuck "TV coverage".

The removal of "running your a***s off"...

The removal of "inside me"...

The removal of "wisea**" and Con Ed's "oh s**t"...

The removal of Winston's "oh s**t", "mother pus bucket", and the 'sailor in New York' comment...

It's been fun to recreate the ways it was manipulated to turn it from PG to G.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on March 2nd, 2018, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, Kid Chameleon liked this
Wow, it's interesting to see how close Ghostbusters is to being a G film. You know I never thought the humor in Ghostbusters II was much milder than the first movie's, and considering how fine a line it is between a film being G and PG, I think this kind of serves as proof. :)
Alex Newborn liked this
This thread has been something of an education for me. I generally treated TV edits with disdain and that was only when I could actually be bothered to watch them. The concept of someone actively seeking one was incomprehensible to me. I certainly hadn't thought much about the concept of varying camera angles and visual omissions (although I would like to think I would have picked up on not seeing Ray nod and shake his head in the library).

One TV edit I remember (late 93 in the UK on ITV) was the scene from the mayor's office where Venkman says "This man has no twinkie" instead of "dick" which I thought was quite neat. Sadly, I never recorded it because I never had much time for TV edits because 99% of the time they sucked.
Sav C liked this
I'm glad you found this educational.

You're the second person I've seen mention the "this man has no twinkie" edit recently.

If I may ask, what's the setup? What does Ray say instead of "power grid was shut off by d***less here"?

I might do another Reconstruction video if I know how it goes.

UPDATE: Work in progress...

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: If I may ask, what's the setup? What does Ray say instead of "power grid was shut off by d***less here"?
I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. We're talking about something I saw once on TV 25 years ago. I do remember the edit being quite clumsy though (as many of them were) and they certainly didn't do anything there that stuck in the mind so they might have kept the "dickless" in because Ray says it in a very muttering and petulant way while Venkman says it much more boldly.
Man, that compilation was a nostalgic watch! I had the UK premiere recorded for years before recording over it when I bought the retail version. I’ve always regretted it!

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]