By Kris Butterill
Hi everyone and thanks for stopping by my new thread!

Ive been a follower of GBFans for some time and a lifelong GB fan, visiting Ladder 8 in NY in 2007 at the age of 25 still sent a cold shiver down my spine like a 4 year old on Christmas day. Now is the time to contribute a little and fulfill a life long dream of having my own pack. So heres how its going to work;

The pack will be built based on the excellent plans from Stefan and cut as much as possible with my Ooznest cnc machine. I bought my machine in July of this year to start a little craft business on the side from my main job as a firefighter here in the UK. This will give me a chance to learn new ways of cutting complex shapes and overcome any challenges along the way. The main parts will be cut from 9mm or 12mm MDF.

The pack will be as accurate as possible to Stefans plans and will be finished as per the Egon Hero Pack. I would also like to ask that if anyone has any info on updates for the plans from Stefan, any little changes etc then please fire away.

Anyway, enough chat from me, hope you enjoy the build!

MENU:

Part 1 - Generator (Spacer) And Cyclotron Main Bodies

Part 2 - N-Filter
Last edited by Kris Butterill on November 4th, 2017, 6:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
robandliv liked this
By Kris Butterill
Generator (Spacer) And Cyclotron Main Bodies

The first part to crack off the list is the Generator (Spacer) and Cyclotron Main Bodies since it forms such a large part of the pack. I have tried to keep these parts hollow not only to save weight but to allow future installation of light and sound kits if I go that far. The Spacer was made from 12mm MDF panels all then glued up to form the shell.

After letting it dry and 5 pieces later, heres the outer shell made up.

Next up came the top piece to then hold the Cyclotron and other components. I have pocketed 1.5mm to allow accurate placement and will have to take this into account when making the other parts for accurate measurements.

With the main body done its time to move to the Cyclotron and start building that up, first a 12mm thick spacer ring for the bottom.

Now to move on to one of the most famous parts of the pack. I ended up making 2 end plates for the light fittings, the first had a square edge which would take a lot more work to round so I went back and did another this time adding a 90 Degreee V Carve profile to my CNC files. Once sanded this was much better as you can see in the second photo.

The light fitting components were oversized meaning they would drop straight into the end plate accurately, 30mm hole and 3.2mm protruding from the outer case.

More outer casings now need to be made to work back to the Spacer and calculate ready for the final piece to allow exact copies of Stefans measurements.

Once the final pieces were cut it was time to glue it all up and complete the main piece.

Finally, test fitting the start of the N-Filter, more on that in the next update.

By Kris Butterill
N-Filter

Today I got a chance to get the N-Filter made up and put in place. The main body is really starting to take shape now and all the detailing, holes etc will be done when the pack is build before finishing and painting.

Today I also got the bottom spacer main for the Clippard on the Generator.

By Kris Butterill
CPU64 wrote:With the CNC you could make the walls a lot thinner.
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I could have made these thinner but I wanted enough there in case I decided to add screws too plus it helps get rid of the off cuts Im using to build the pack from my other projects. My pack will be wall mounted as a display piece so weight is only important to some extent.
CPU64 liked this
By Kris Butterill
Hey all, sorry for the slow progress but got a little more done.

Cut to thickness and then cut out, these are the end plates for the spacer

In the last pic you can sort of see my sanding progress to get this nice and smooth. Im working on the other side today and adding more little details between customer orders.
    Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]