By Mike Verta
Never built anything GB before. This Spirit Deluxe was modded in 4 days for my little boy who's just discovered and become obsessed with GB. Having just dipped my foot in the pool, even now I can see it's riddled with problems. But we gotta start somewhere. Next stop: Full-size hero pack. Correction: Likely first full-size hero pack.

_Mike
Kingpin, ccv66, bworld liked this
By DoctorsTARDIS
Just a heads up, I have that light kit installed in mine. The spirit pack is a bit too small for it. You can get it in there but the bottom blue led is going to be obscured
By doctorevil30564
DoctorsTARDIS wrote:Just a heads up, I have that light kit installed in mine. The spirit pack is a bit too small for it. You can get it in there but the bottom blue led is going to be obscured
This is true. But since it didn't affect how it looked, it wasn't a big deal for me. I'm wondering how hard it would be to solder a wired switch onto the contact buttons to be able to control the speed for cycling the lights though.
By NoLarryOnlyZuul
DoctorsTARDIS wrote:Just a heads up, I have that light kit installed in mine. The spirit pack is a bit too small for it. You can get it in there but the bottom blue led is going to be obscured
How did you get said light kit in yours? I recently purchased one of the same kits and I'm mulling over how to do mine.
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote:
How did you get said light kit in yours? I recently purchased one of the same kits and I'm mulling over how to do mine.
I used a piece of packing foam that I cut at an angle to back the board so it could be installed at an angle to fit in the spot in the pack then used hot melt glue to attach the board to the foam. I then attached the foam inside the compartment and used another foam piece on the other side. It's not the most elegant solution though. I used more hot melt glue to fasten the wires to the foam block. I'm not proud of my solution, it was the best I could think of at the time. I attached a picture for reference.Image
NoLarryOnlyZuul liked this
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote:How did it go with your cyclotron lights? Did you end up using the stock light brackets to hold yours in place?
I glued them onto the circuit boards in the pack.

I had to flip the bottom board after I took this picture, as I accidentally glued the bottom two lights on backwards.Image
doctorevil30564 wrote:
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote:How did it go with your cyclotron lights? Did you end up using the stock light brackets to hold yours in place?
I glued them onto the circuit boards in the pack.

I had to flip the bottom board after I took this picture, as I accidentally glued the bottom two lights on backwards.Image
That actually looks pretty clean in the pic. I'll go the same route and see if it turns out as nice as that. Thanks for the insight!
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote:
doctorevil30564 wrote:I glued them onto the circuit boards in the pack.

That actually looks pretty clean in the pic. I'll go the same route and see if it turns out as nice as that. Thanks for the insight!
No problem, glad to help
By themikereda
Looks fantastic. What did you use for the ion arm? I can't seem to find anything that fits at my local Lowe's or Home Depot, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right section? Thanks!
By CountDeMonet
I found a pick of what the skewer looks like. I raided my wife's kitchen drawer for them so not sure of the kind. After several layers of bronze paint they are 4mm in diameter. Maybe 3mm before paint? Around there.

By themikereda
Wow that looks a lot better than my attempt to use a wooden dowel rod. After a few coats of bronze paint, it just looked like a bronze wooden dowel rod.

Great work!
By CountDeMonet
I used the Rust-Oleum bronze metallic and it worked out well. Just don't touch it for about a week as the metallic paint takes a while to cure or you will get fingerprints. I just cut the dowel to the length I liked and sprayed it. Used it on my other pack as well.
By doctorevil30564
themikereda wrote:Looks fantastic. What did you use for the ion arm? I can't seem to find anything that fits at my local Lowe's or Home Depot, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right section? Thanks!
I think this one from Home Depot MIGHT work if you have this part available in your store

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8- ... /205172286

You'd need to cut at least one of the sets of threads off then smooth the edges. The only thing I am not sure about is the width of the piece, per the info on the HD site the width is .23 inches
By CountDeMonet
I looked at those for the spirit pack and I think they are twice as the diameter as the sticks I ended up using. Probably good for a full size pack but might look a bit huge on the spirit pack.
By themikereda
I got some door hinge pins at Home Depot and it feels like just the right size. They were more of a brass color, but I actually applied some wood stain to it and it looks like the perfect copper/bronze color.

It's not perfect, but it's really close.
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]