By GBDRE760
After moving twice and various other life adventures, I've finished setting up my new workspace in California...

I'm really looking forward to finishing this pack up. More updates coming soon!
I'm in Cali. What part did you move to? And very nice work by the way. That thing is AMAZING!
By GohstTarp
Supporting Member
Woo! What a workspace! I'm looking forward to the updates. :)
YESSS!!!!!!

I'm in Cali. What part did you move to? And very nice work by the way. That thing is AMAZING!

Thanks for the comments and support, guys! I'm in the Northern California bay area... How about yourself, GBDRE760?

In the meantime, I've removed everything from the shell and can start sanding and cleanup...
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 12th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBDRE760, canpara liked this
By GBDRE760
Woo! What a workspace! I'm looking forward to the updates. :)
YESSS!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments and support, guys! I'm in the Northern California bay area... How about yourself, GBDRE760?

In the meantime, I've removed everything from the shell and can start sanding and cleanup...

I'm in Southern Cali. Down in Victorville a few hours away from Los Angeles.
By GohstTarp
Supporting Member
Thanks to the venerable WShawn letting me know that my pictures were broken (AGAIN!!!). Anyway, just got those fixed this weekend and did some more work cleaning up the shell. I keep finding little air bubbles to fix in the gel coat using some milliput... nothing major, just things that I want to fix up while I'm able to. Also sanded my pack parts. Here is another boring update photo where nothing has noticeably changed, but it helps me feel like I'm moving this forward... LOL.

After the milliput work and a cleanup with soapy water, my plan is to use Bish's texturing technique using Krylon's "Make It Stone" obsidian...
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0#p4809366
twmedford23, Kingpin liked this
By Venkman's Swagger
I'm in Southern Cali. Down in Victorville a few hours away from Los Angeles.
Very cool! I'll never stop being amazed at how big California is.
Whoop Whoop!!
Yes! Glad to see that you are still around, VSImage
Thanks man!! Not as active but still lurking, following how my fave Ghostheads are doing man. Hope you're well
canpara liked this
By GohstTarp
Supporting Member
Thanks for the comments, Eitgo and gbrob!

Now for an overdue update...

As mentioned before, I used Bishop's Krylon's "Make it Stone - Obsidian" (now called "Stone Coarse Texture Obsidian") technique to add texture to my shell...

My first step was to mask off the areas I didn't want textured...

I wanted to go for a bit more of a subtle texture than Bish's, so I applied a little less of the spray than him and ended up with this..

A close up of the cyclotron texture...

After letting it cure for a week, I knocked down the texture with some sanding...

At this point, Bish used an air compressor to clean off the dust and whatnot, making note that he didn't clean it with soap and water. Just to confirm I sprayed a test piece with the texture, let it cure and sanded it. When I washed to piece with soap and water, all the texture just washed away! Since I didn't have an air compressor, I used some canned air/dusters and then gave it a single coat of primer...

Here is a closeup of the cyclotron again showing the texture...

I think it looks OK, but feel I can make it look great, so my plan is try sanding the texture down a bit more and adding a second coat of primer. Hoping this will make it more subtle :whatever:

In the meantime, I've also been painting my aluminum pack parts. Here, I followed Lowberg's advice and went with Rust-oelum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover Paint + Primer...

...just don't do what I did and order a 6-pack from HomeDepot. They sent me an old batch that wouldn't cure properly. I had used a test piece to avoid stuff like this, but didn't pay close enough attention to it and started painting some parts before I realized what had happened. The good news is that I reported the issue to Rust-oelum and they sent me out a fresh 6-pack without any hassle. After stripping the parts and properly testing the new paint, I got the Ion Cap, HGA, Injector Tubes, Beam line, Filler tube and Vacuum tube painted today (Ion cap not pictured)...

Hoping to get the shell and rest of the parts painted and ready for reassembly for the next update. Thanks for reading!
By bishopdonmiguel
Supporting Member
Great work as always.

The tricky issue with the stone stuff is to take down the roughness without completely eliminating the texture. I was going for a soft bumpy look like a cast iron skillet so I probably applied heavier and sanded more.

Keep in mind that the paint you apply will fill in the low spots a bit and also smooth out the bumps. Every paint is different but you can get a rough test by spraying a piece of sandpaper with the number of coats you plan to apply.

Looking forward to the next update.
By GohstTarp
Supporting Member
Great work as always.

The tricky issue with the stone stuff is to take down the roughness without completely eliminating the texture. I was going for a soft bumpy look like a cast iron skillet so I probably applied heavier and sanded more.

Keep in mind that the paint you apply will fill in the low spots a bit and also smooth out the bumps. Every paint is different but you can get a rough test by spraying a piece of sandpaper with the number of coats you plan to apply.
Thanks, Bishop. I think you are absolutely correct about applying heavier and sanding more. Your iron skillet look turned out perfectly. Also, spraying the sandpaper is a great idea!
Another update homerun dude. Keep it up!!
Thanks, VS!

Lately, I've been trying to tackle too much at once, when I should be focusing on one task at a time. With the 4 year mark for this project coming up, I guess I convinced myself that I need to wrap this thing up, which isn't really the case. Back to slow and steady from here on out. I think I'm going to finish painting the pack parts first, then figure out my best way forward with the shell. Right now, I'm leaning toward sanding away the current "texture" and trying again, but I can figure that out later :)
By Venkman's Swagger
Wow the 4 years have flown so fast. It's crazy to think it's been that long. I bow down to your superior patience . Whatever you decide will turn to gold mate
Heya from Australia

Hi everyone, Sydney local here. After being a fan[…]

Good Golly! Cutos to them for keeping a secret. […]

New Diamond Select Figures

I dont have the figures yet, but after seeing a Yo[…]

Sigourney Weaver Slams Reboot Backlash

Another thing, I said ATC is a B+. As in, not an […]