Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Slime Lord
The mood slime was a great idea and very creative. I still say it's among the more genuinely unique concepts of any movie to come out of the past 30 or so years. Plus without the mood slime we'd never have the excellent sequence where the river of slime is first discovered. Such a striking scene that's stayed with me ever since I first saw the film.
By Slime Lord
One time wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 1:59 am Janosz completely made GB2 if you ask me. Like when Vigo is rattling off his, "I'm the scourge of, I'm the ruler of" speech and Janosz is like "yes yes I've heard all this get on with it". And then Vigo goes ... "COMMAND YOU". And Janosz falls to his knees and is like "COMMAND me oh lord". Like he just wants to be dominated so badly.

-"Everything you are doing is bad, I want you to know this."

Hilarious character.

Janosz for me is still one the funniest characters of either movie, but he also has the distinction of arguably being one of the creepier ones as well, when he's later in his ghostly form when he abducts Oscar. And of course earlier on when his eyes on light in the hallway. That's a very eerie image.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
I think from a symbolic standpoint alone the mood slime is a great concept. I mean, it really is a great metaphor for how our actions affect a situation. Dan and Harold managed to say "Hey, what would it look like if our energy was actually able to manifest itself in a physical form?" The concept that we have more of an impact on the world than we usually realize has been around a long time; they managed to find a completely fresh and original way to represent it.
One time liked this
By Slime Lord
Definitely agree. They even managed to make the slime feel like a character in a way with it's prominence in the film and how they showed both the positive and negative aspects of it.
Sav C liked this
By GhostBluster
Hello all,

With respect to the cameo appearances (very brief), to the original actors from (GB1, GB2), that's the only reason I saw the reboot..
By Slime Lord
I found Murray's cameo in the reboot more infuriating than anything. Just to think that he turned down doing GB3 for so many years and yet was fine cameoing in a sub-par reboot.
By Winston1986
Alphagaia wrote: April 9th, 2018, 1:56 am Yeah, it's not all gone, but it's all definitely a lot lighter, with a sharp turn here and there, almost feeling like an afterthought.

Having just read an earlier script of GB2 there is a lot added for the kids. The slime being an obvious one, that was huge in the 80's, it used to be lots and lots of insects drawn to to a building mass of invisible pk power. Slimer was not originally intended to be in it and now that think of it he does feel shoehorned in, I'm kinda glad they kept his extra scenes out as he did not matter to the story at all. I kinda wish they made him matter for a plot point by turning him in a good ghost by reversing his ectoplasm with the mood slime instead of the toaster. The Scoleri Brothers were much more menacing, shooting electricity and blowing up and tearing down the courtroom with their bare hands.

The added bits in the original script where the forced singing and being nice to each other or suffer the consequences were really funny, especially as the New Yorkers tried to politely insult each other, and each haunting being the result of people being angry, bad sports and even killers felt a better fit, as the GB were slowly connecting the dots, but it was all toned down, just like ATC was. Understandable, as kids equal big money and they had not expected to do that well in the kids department with the original, but a bit of a loss as well.

They also have Peck return, work in the blown up headquarters instead of it miraculously being fixed and Peck explains how even the Stay Puft was a hallucination done with gass that blew up, having the set up making a little bit more sense. (Though it still seems weird).

It feels like they first wanted scary, the studio wanted it toned down, and finally they added back some scary stuff like the heads after it was to toned down. (Perhaps because Batman was all dark and moody as well).

For anyone interested in the early script: https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral ... -08-05.pdf
I started reading the script. Will finish it later. It is a shame they took out the kids wanting Bozo the Clown in favor of He-Man which is just silly cause even kids should know he's not a real person.
By Sav C
Slime Lord wrote: April 21st, 2018, 3:47 pm I found Murray's cameo in the reboot more infuriating than anything. Just to think that he turned down doing GB3 for so many years and yet was fine cameoing in a sub-par reboot.
I'd like to think that Bill didn't want to take the risk of playing Venkman again and not doing the character justice, and was fine with being in the reboot because he was playing a different character. I think he genuinely cares about the original series, which is why he turned down several GBIIs before they settled upon the GBII that ended up on screen. Once the reboot ended up in production he probably didn't want to look like he didn't approve of it, especially since everyone else had a cameo.

Honestly I'm not bothered by any of the cameos at all, but the more I think about it the sillier they seem.
Winston1986 wrote:I started reading the script. Will finish it later. It is a shame they took out the kids wanting Bozo the Clown in favor of He-Man which is just silly cause even kids should know he's not a real person.
I heard somewhere that it had something to do with Filmation, since Filmation produced both He-Man and the 1970s "Ghost Busters" show and subsequent cartoon.
By Slime Lord
I enjoyed the cameos for the most part but Bill's made me upset even though I get your reasoning as to why he may have agreed. To me it was just infuriating that he turned down GB3 for so many years and he was the sole reason for it never happening when it seemed like it finally might happen.
By Slime Lord
Even though I love GB2 in it's present form, I'm still curious to see the original cut of it before it got edited down. I'm sure many of the scenes removed were due to pacing and some may not have worked, but reading some of the scenes deleted it seems like there's some that would've made the film significantly better. It's amazing what a film can gain or lose when certain moments are excised or kept in. It's not likely we'll get a restoration next year for the 30th anniversary but who knows. If the deleted footage is in decent enough shape, I'd love to see a Director's Cut of sorts.

I've still yet to see the extended cut of the reboot. I'll give it a look someday but have a very hard time working up any interest to view anything relating to the 2016 film. I've heard the extended cut is better.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Regarding GB2, Nostalgia Critic addresses the problems I have with GB2, the first act and it's premise (though I still like it) and offers a great work around by starting in the courtyard scene, with them getting sued for the damages done by Stay Puft.

https://youtu.be/BKpM33kdG1Y
By Slime Lord
He may make some valid points but I still find The Nostalgia Critic to be an obnoxious know-it-all who thinks he's funny when he's just a major irritant.
H2Ghost liked this
By jreverhart
What Reboot? is that like the Fabled 4th Indiana Jones Movie I hear about from time to time?

Maybe it exists.... but I'm sure I have suppressed it from my memory if it does....

As Far as I'm concerned there are only 2 Ghostbuster movies, each of them special in their own way

and only 3 Indiana Jones Movies.

GB Reboot and Indiana Jones 4 are #FakeNews
By timeware
jreverhart wrote:What Reboot? is that like the Fabled 4th Indiana Jones Movie I hear about from time to time?

Maybe it exists.... but I'm sure I have suppressed it from my memory if it does....

As Far as I'm concerned there are only 2 Ghostbuster movies, each of them special in their own way

I urge you to give the movie a shot. Or at least watch one of the fan edits. The Fan edit's are much, much better.

I was never really going to watch the movie to begin with. The critic inside me compelled me to give it a chance even with the cause and the Uber-feminazi's wagging their finger's at us.

I was determined not to like it and found out I liked some bits and pieces of the movie.

If you still feel that way after viewing the movie your entitled to blast it after wards. I may be a little harsh here but IDW does offer a better alternative to ATC other then Katie Dippold's crappy writing.
By One time
timeware wrote: September 13th, 2018, 5:11 pm
jreverhart wrote:What Reboot? is that like the Fabled 4th Indiana Jones Movie I hear about from time to time?

I urge you to give the movie a shot. Or at least watch one of the fan edits. The Fan edit's are much, much better.

I was never really going to watch the movie to begin with. The critic inside me compelled me to give it a chance even with the cause and the Uber-feminazi's wagging their finger's at us.

I was determined not to like it and found out I liked some bits and pieces of the movie.

If you still feel that way after viewing the movie your entitled to blast it after wards. I may be a little harsh here but IDW does offer a better alternative to ATC other then Katie Dippold's crappy writing.
There's a fan edit of ATC? Really?

Wow, I've been looking forward to something like that. The extended edition had me laughing out loud in some places but in other places I thought it really needs an "anti cheese" edit. Star Wars fans will know what the anti cheese edits were.

Do you have any links? (They are bound to be low res I fear :( )
By Kingpin
It's still technically film piracy, even if it is a fan edit of it. Better safe than sorry not to post links to it seeing as it's still only been two years since it came out.
By Alphagaia
Yeah, my kid can almost walk already!

Also, feel free to PM the people interested in the fan edit. That should be ok, right? I'd love to see it as well!
Sav C liked this
By jreverhart
timeware wrote: September 13th, 2018, 5:11 pm

I watched it, in theaters and on video, and I thought it was an insult to the original films. Granted I followed news and rumors of a GB3 movie for years!! and got overly excited when I heard it was coming, what they released in no way lived up to the original films. So I'm a little bitter about the let down. My opinion is if your going to reboot or add on to a beloved franchise such as Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, or Even Star Wars. Its probably best to put the effort in for the fans. for example I'm not a huge fan of the new star wars movies but they at least put the effort in and they stand for themselves even though they aren't perfect or as good as originals. but the Reboot...... :(
By timeware
My only gripe about the new Star Wars movies is they're killing off the original cast, and I cant find a decent Poe Dameron jacket that's film accurate. That and they will probably kill off Chewie in the next one and still leave us hanging about who Finn and Ray's parents are.

I agree that the reboot should have had some connections to the OG. Even without cameo's they still could have thrown in vague references other then the Fire House.

The Harold Ramis bust was a nice tribute. They could have started off with Holtsman living in a run down fire house trying to keep the containment grid operational. IDW more then makes up for that with the cross overs. They picked up the ball that Sony obviously dropped.
jreverhart liked this
By Slime Lord
Alphagaia wrote: September 13th, 2018, 8:40 am No problem, you don't have to like the guy to agree with his point, right?

No, but while he may make some valid and agreeable points he's still an obnoxious know-it-all and loudmouth who thinks his opinions are facts. Watching his videos I feel like I'm watching the talkback section of AICN or something.
By '80s_horror
Slime Lord wrote: September 15th, 2018, 9:24 pm
Alphagaia wrote: September 13th, 2018, 8:40 am No problem, you don't have to like the guy to agree with his point, right?

No, but while he may make some valid and agreeable points he's still an obnoxious know-it-all and loudmouth who thinks his opinions are facts. Watching his videos I feel like I'm watching the talkback section of AICN or something.
Give my website a look. I put the Nostalgia Critic to shame. :)
By Slime Lord
timeware wrote: September 14th, 2018, 9:36 am I agree that the reboot should have had some connections to the OG. Even without cameo's they still could have thrown in vague references other then the Fire House.

The Harold Ramis bust was a nice tribute. They could have started off with Holtsman living in a run down fire house trying to keep the containment grid operational. IDW more then makes up for that with the cross overs. They picked up the ball that Sony obviously dropped.

It's a shame the reboot wasn't set in the same universe as the originals. I like the idea of a new team continuing the work and tradition of the originals. I think IDW showed creatvity in ways the reboot didn't with how they had both the original team and the new one working together. Had I been in charge of the reboot, I would've had it that Oscar restarts it with Holtzman and Gilbert (both of whom I actually rather liked in the new film) and Ray and Winston are there in important supporting roles. I actually like the idea of Winston as something of a mentor figure and a connection to the original team, and it would've been a nice way to give him some more prominence. In a way his role could've been equal to Egon's in EGB.
Sav C liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]