By One time
In GB2 Egon mentions that the proton packs power source has a half life of around 5000 years.

Assuming he means the half life in terms of radioactive isotope decay that would mean the power source is Curium-246.

Curium sits right between holmium and carbon-14 in terms of half life, at 4730 years. There are no other isotopes around the 5000 year half life mark, apart from these three.

holmium-153--4570 years
curium-246----4730 years
carbon-14------5730 years

Interestingly, where holmium and carbon-14 isotope decay yields almost no energy, curium decay yields very high energies.

Infact curium is used as fuel in radioisotope thermoelectric generators on board spacecraft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisot ... _generator

Also curium decays with α-particle radiation which is a lot safer to humans than isotopes that decay using much more dangerous beta radiation (gamma/X-rays). That is another reason why curium has practical application uses in spacecraft as opposed to isotopes of e.g. radium, or uranium.

It's crazy how specific Aykroyd's science is when you look for it.

PS: You'll note the pressure venting device in the illustration above.
By JWils23
So awesome! I remember watching a documentary a few years ago where Aykroyd was talking about Ecto 1 and the other tools of the trade. There wasn’t one item that he didn’t know the purpose and backstory of. I looked up some of the things he said and the science was spot on, made me appreciate the movie even more.
jpetrutis81 liked this
By One time
So awesome! I remember watching a documentary a few years ago where Aykroyd was talking about Ecto 1 and the other tools of the trade. There wasn’t one item that he didn’t know the purpose and backstory of. I looked up some of the things he said and the science was spot on, made me appreciate the movie even more.
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard that he told the guys at Terminal Reality what to call the different pack modes and also insisted on them calling the ghost trap a "muon" trap.

Muons are known to penetrate through everything (much more than X-rays) and they don't give off much radiation when they decelerate (hit something.) That makes it an ideal choice for a ghost trap entrapment cone that has to:

a.) work in all weather conditions, penetrate through anything in between it and the entity
b.) be "safe" to use in public

In fact muons have a practical application in muon tomography systems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon_tomography

It's funny how Aykroyd explains part of the equipment on the roof of the Ecto-1 as "muon scrubbers".
at 11:15s into this video:

https://youtu.be/SjXvCHnHjVw?t=672

I guess to decontaminate the GB's and the environment from trace particles of muons after a bust?

PS: Muon decay produces electrons, which could explain the blue sparks coming out of the entrapment cone when the trap is open.

I've had mine ordered since the end of March with […]

Elbow pad shipping to the UK

That's exactly what I did, and made a complete mes[…]

I just realized that I never did an introduction w[…]

I've brought my pack for the past 6 years with[…]