By hoodaman
Hi everyone. I am gearing up to overhaul my spirit pack and this weekend is paint weekend. I have a few questions.

For the texture I was originally considering drywall texture spray. Then I discovered hammered spray paint then I discovered truck bed liner. Any pros and cons to any method over another?

Will the metallic decals I bought from eBay stick fine to any or all of these methods?

Will any or all of these methods bond properly to the plastic shell?

Right now I'm leaning towards truck bed liner and will be applying bondo to cover the divots and the speaker grille. Is the liner thin enough that it won't obscure the faux welding beads I'll be applying with my glue gun?

Thanks for any insights!
Last edited by hoodaman on May 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hoodaman
If anyone is interested, I decided to forego the texture. I bought the rustoleum 2x coverage paint + primer in satin black as recommended in the other thread. I made this thread as it was specifically pertaining to texturizing the pack but I didn't get any responses so I skipped it.
By tobycj
Looks rad! How did you find the paint took to the glue gun "welds"? Had a friend warn me paint doesn't tend to stick too well to the glue, so debating whether to use glue or two-part epoxy when mine arrives.
By hoodaman
the paint stuck to the hot glue without any problems. I painted the whole pack then let it sit for an hour then painted it again and let it dry for 24 hours then did the stickers, other doodads and weathering effects. To me the silver paint on those welds is the best looking part of the pack. Really looks like it's made from metal rather than plastic.
By JWils23
hoodaman wrote: August 13th, 2018, 8:33 am the paint stuck to the hot glue without any problems. I painted the whole pack then let it sit for an hour then painted it again and let it dry for 24 hours then did the stickers, other doodads and weathering effects. To me the silver paint on those welds is the best looking part of the pack. Really looks like it's made from metal rather than plastic.
I felt mine turned out the same way, and once you put the silver weathering on it really gives those welds some distinction! Did you cover up your speaker hole or leave it?
By hoodaman
JWils23 wrote: August 13th, 2018, 9:14 amDid you cover up your speaker hole or leave it?
I did put bondo on the speaker holes and the little divots on both sides of the shock mount. I think it looks that much better with them filled in.
By hoodaman
JWils23 wrote: August 14th, 2018, 9:26 am Covering those up really made it less toy like.
absolutely. I think that should be one of the primary goals of modding the spirit pack. As we know, the proton pack is not a toy!
By JWils23
hoodaman wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:05 pm
JWils23 wrote: August 14th, 2018, 9:26 am Covering those up really made it less toy like.
absolutely. I think that should be one of the primary goals of modding the spirit pack. As we know, the proton pack is not a toy!
Covering up the speaker hole and adding real socket caps/screws/washers is an easy way to make it look more real and for cheap. I’ve drilled out and added a number of them in spots where they are on the real packs.
By hoodaman
Necroposting on my thread. I did some more work on my spirit pack this weekend. I got spongeface's wand light kit and his sound board. I installed those kits and I added a V hook to the pack that I got from buster props. I have been holding off on that one for a loooong time because it requires you to super glue the gun track into place and I wanted to do everything inside of the gun that I needed to do before I glued stuff to the bottom and make it where I can't easily get back into the body if I need to. I also took that nasty white gun tip off with my dremel and replaced it with clear vinyl tubing. Here are some pics. All before/after.

I did a sloppy job cutting out the grill on top of the gun but this was the first time I'd ever used a dremel and it was agonizing trying to do this without butchering it. I could have done better but I could have done worse.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]