In August, Spirit Halloween released a ghost trap, and when I saw it I decided I needed to mod it. Progress has been pretty good, mostly because it was a relatively simple (keyword here being relatively, because it's still pretty invovled!) but more importantly very paced project where I had the chance to more or less decide along the way what I wanted to change and what I wanted to keep the same. What's more, I have used a ton of resources from countspatula's 3d printed trap, so having documented details on building a similar prop has been incredibly helpful.
I know you're talking about Proton Packs, but I would recommend starting as simple as possible. Whether that be with the spirit halloween proton pack and some mod kits to keep it simple and straight forward, or with a really nice pack shell to build off of (though that is going to be more expensive and pretty involved). Either way, starting off with a proton pack scratch build just kind of left me feeling like a failure, but moving to something more straightforward and introductory helped me get my feet wet, and I'm really feeling positive about building out all my stuff now.
Also, if you get the SH Proton Pack and just mod a few things on it, it can be an ongoing project that immediately provides value. You could buy it and wear it day 1 and it will wow most people. So the instant gratification is pretty helpful. What's more, that proton pack doesn't become worthless if you later build a full-sized scratch build. There are plenty of situations where the smaller size of the SH proton pack is desireable over a bigger, heavier full-sized pack.
Bear in mind how much smaller the Spirit Pack is. My full size is on the right. Also You get the most benefit gutting it and modding it because the thrower is comically small and the stock electronics are crap.
But with a little spit and polish you can have something great to start with!
www.facebook.com/seoghostbusters "Serving Southeast Ohio since 2011."
https://github.com/CountDeMonet/Arduino ... ircuit.png
Also, a heat gun to remove the decals (they are stuck on there unbelievably well and a heat gun or blow dryer really helps) you can remove all of the stickers, fill the speaker holes with glue or plastic filler, sand and repaint. I recommend a "hammered" black spray paint with a dark glossy black on top. It makes it look like cast iron and costs about $10. Plus you can order a new set of stickers for the pack from ebay for about $12.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostbusters-P ... :rk:2:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostbusters-S ... :rk:8:pf:0
You could also go this route if you want skip the soldering (which can be very difficult with the small solder pads of the neopixels).
https://www.etsy.com/listing/484137546/ ... ch_click=1
If you do go the solder route you can eventually upgrade the pack to a full functioning spirit pack.
With full upgrades I ended up spending about $350 or so but you could definitely get this under $200 if you went with the more basic route that I've outlined.
Was wearing a standard Ghostbusters t-shirt while […]
That is amazing! Why aren't more people talking ab[…]
Probably not the place to put this, but I don't re[…]
That's Pretty much my motherboard too. Aluminum ji[…]