By SmugglersProps
As you can tell I am pretty new to this forum, but I have already put together a decent uniform and pack. But now I am focusing on building a new trap.

As most of you probably know, Sean Charlesworth creates files for a hybrid ghost trap to thingiverse.

So I will attempt to build one (emphasis on attempt)

About two years ago I was going to a Halloween party as a ghostbuster, my uniform was good, I had the patches, a uniform, a pack, and a PKE meter (the pke and the pack I plan to remake in the future). It was a week before the party and I didn’t have a trap, so I hastily made one

Brace yourselves, it is pretty bad

As you can tell it sucks, I am very embarrassed of it. Its falling apart, the handle is broken, it is as far from accurate as you can get and it’s made of cardboard.

So I will be posting updates as often as I can on my progress, so please be critical, I need as much advice as I can get to make this good.

I use a creality CR-10 just in case anyone is wondering.
Last edited by SmugglersProps on November 9th, 2018, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JulesHiggs
You know, other than the chunky red side rails, and being a little oversized, that's a pretty damn good cardboard trap! Some nice details there. 👌🏻 Best of luck with the new trap!
By SmugglersProps
Even though nobody is really following this, I’ll just post my progress for my own record keeping.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

So I have made a lot of progress, I printed the main parts, cleaned them up, assembled and painted them.

I still have a decent amount of printing left, but it’s starting to come together

I plan to put actual socket cap screws to give it a more real look, but for now I’m not planning on adding electronics. I still need to print the pedal, and acquire some more pieces, but I am happy with what I have so far
ccv66, grogking, tobycj and 2 others liked this
By TragicManner
Looking really good so far! This is why I've felt, if someone has a 3D printer, that doing Sean Charlesworth's trap is the way to go.

Are you doing to do aluminum for the side panels or stick with 3D printing them?

I really do like the look of the finish with the bondo. Are you using the same kind that Sean used in his guide? How was working with it?
By SmugglersProps

TragicManner, I just use this spot putty and a lot of sanding to get my prints to a good finish, but it is very easy to use, I just get some on my finger and touch up any imperfections or layer lines. Afterward, it’s pretty easy to wash off with some water.

I’m likely going for the printed panels, but I will screw them into place so I can replace them later if I want to.

By simcarr
Nice work dude.

Shortly after I built my pack I bought one of Nickatrons trap kits and did nothing with it. That was 6 years ago and now I'm thinking of building myself a trap.

So I'm watching your build to decide if I go down the 3D printed route or stick with Nick's mark2 trap kit. (Or a hybrid of both)
Last edited by simcarr on November 28th, 2018, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SmugglersProps
simcarr wrote:Nice work dude.

Shortly after I built my pack I bought one of Nickatrons trap kits and did nothing with it. That was 6 years ago and now I'm thinking of building myself a trap.

So I'm watching your build to decide if I go down the 3D printed route or stick with Nick's mark1 trap kit. (Or a hybrid of both)

I would go with the Nickatrons trap for a base and supplement it with some 3D printed pieces. That way you have more customization options. And I’m very interested in seeing a hybrid trap.
By Glenn Frederick
The trap is looking great.
I used the same spot putty on the one I did awhile back.

I just noticed the sides where the plates go are recessed, was the 3d files Changed/updated or did you redo them to cut down weight?
By SmugglersProps
Simcarr, I would go with the Nickatrons trap for a base and supplement it with some 3D printed pieces. That way you have more customization options. And I’m very interested in seeing a hybrid trap.

Glenn Frederick, I think he must have updated the files because I just printed them as is
By NotSabbat
SmugglersProps wrote: November 27th, 2018, 1:48 pm Simcarr, I would go with the Nickatrons trap for a base and supplement it with some 3D printed pieces. That way you have more customization options. And I’m very interested in seeing a hybrid trap.

Glenn Frederick, I think he must have updated the files because I just printed them as is
You may have swapped the sides. I think the recesses are supposed to be on the inside of the trap to allow more room for internals.
By SmugglersProps
NotSabbat wrote:
SmugglersProps wrote: November 27th, 2018, 1:48 pm Simcarr, I would go with the Nickatrons trap for a base and supplement it with some 3D printed pieces. That way you have more customization options. And I’m very interested in seeing a hybrid trap.

You may have swapped the sides. I think the recesses are supposed to be on the inside of the trap to allow more room for internals.

Oh I think I did, but I’m not planning to put functional knobs on the sides so it doesn’t make a big difference for me.
NotSabbat liked this
By SmugglersProps
So, I have made pretty good progress.

I finished up one side panel and the front panel, I am very happy with them so far, I also printed out two of the labels.

I also purchased the socket cap screws that I needed from Home Depot and did a bit of dry brushing with some silver to start the weathering

By SmugglersProps
canpara wrote:Wow, your trap looks great! What kind of black spray paint did you use?

I have subscribed to this thread. I'm looking forward to your next updates!
Thank you so much!

I used a Rustoleum satin black primer. I didn’t like the look of the matte spray paint just because the shine mixes better with the dry brushing and weathering.
By SmugglersProps
It’s finished! I am so happy with the result and I am proud to be able to wear it on my belt ( or at least I will be when I get an accurate belt).

I sanded, primed and painted the last panel as well as printed out the toggle switch and “LED”.

ImageImageImage

But wait, there’s more!

I am also building the pedal to go along with my trap. Here are the two pieces I have printed so far

And a third piece already on the way

Glenn Frederick liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]