Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Slimered wrote: January 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Nova wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:00 am

The only way that is ALL you saw, would have been because that was ALL you were focusing on. The majority of people that had a problem with the 2016 version disliked that it was being rebooted instead of being a sequel.
That's categorically not true. The main criticisms for the film seemed to be 'Ew, the Ghostbusters are ladiez now'.
This is absolutely not the truth and the spread of this rumor is complete nonsense. Nova is correct, if that's all you saw, then that's because that's what you chose to focus on. There were plenty of people who were legitimiately upset that it was a reboot rather than a sequel, as well as a whole host of other complaints. What you are referring to are "troll complaints" and not actual complaints. And there's an important distinction. Trolls are absolutely toxic and we don't want any of that (or the story of what happened to your family member). But saying that "all the criticisms" were because it was lady Busters is simply not factual, and it's a problem to spread that mentality. There were plenty of legit complaints about the movie from real fans (not trolls).

Again, there are going to be lady Busters in this. Haven't seen that be a complaint yet.
Last edited by Doctor Venkman on January 18th, 2019, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
seekandannoy, Nova liked this
To clarify, while there was definitely some sexist remarks, even here, and this group was vocal, there was a bigger group of vocal trolls that did their best to disrupt social media, routed in a sizable group of people who didn't want a reboot.

Visualize it as one of those Russian dolls thingies, with the biggest group having legit complaints, but being drowned out by the trolls.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am To clarify, while there was definitely some sexist remarks, even here, and this group was vocal, there was a bigger group of vocal trolls that did their best to disrupt social media, routed in a sizable group of people who didn't want a reboot.

Visualize it as one of those Russian dolls thingies, with the biggest group having legit complaints, but being drowned out by the trolls.
See i mentioned I agree that there was a lot who hated the idea of a reboot. However I don't think the sexist crowd was as small as people realise. There's a lot of people who are fans of Ghostbusters but don't post in these type of boards who were ok with reboot and just acted sexist and social media was full of it.

Look what happened when they saw Kevin on a bike and the Channing Tatum one was floating around. Alot less negativity because men were busters.

Like the new one announced may have female busters or might not but all everyone is talking about is the originals back as nothing else is 100% said or announced. Even the comments though of the new one one YouTube had lots of people laughing saying it's proof women can't be busters , the idea this could have them is been well hidden.

Personally I'd love it if it had the originals and the 2016 cast and them just explaining it away like the government shut down the originals and ran propaganda saying they were fakes so they faded out if memories or something to retcon it into the same series.

Cast the original actors appeared in the reboot but we can assume same actors but different characters it happens. As I'll be honest if I get Venkman and Holtzmann together in one film is be happy (extra if a new buster is Kylie from extreme) lol
I don't think the sexist group was small, but I do think it was the smallest group out of the three groups against the movie.

Regarding the OGB and the ATCcrew, try and pick up the IDW comics, they had a great idea how to combine the two universes and I won't spoil it here, but it is really good!
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 11:04 am I don't think the sexist group was small, but I do think it was the smallest group out of the three groups against the movie.

Regarding the OGB and the ATCcrew, try and pick up the IDW comics, they had a great idea how to combine the two universes and I won't spoil it here, but it is really good!
Already posted a thread about the crossing over one lol as was curious.

But on topic I'd say it felt like the sexists 50% the anti reboot 30% and 15% other reasons (like the film as a film ect... But unfair ones too like racism) And 5% were just against the idea of Ghostbusters period as they may not have seen or liked orginal.

That's how it felt at least to me
SSJmole wrote: January 18th, 2019, 11:12 am But on topic I'd say it felt like the sexists 50% the anti reboot 30% and 15% other reasons (like the film as a film ect... But unfair ones too like racism) And 5% were just against the idea of Ghostbusters period as they may not have seen or liked orginal.

That's how it felt at least to me
I don't understand how you came to those numbers as they seem totally arbitrary. Also, it doesn't take into consideration the amount of people that were anti-reboot that didn't bother going to Twitter about it. Social Media itself does not represent society. There are 69 million US users on Twitter. The US population is 328. This doesn't take into consideration fake accounts, alts, and corporate accounts. Social media isn't reality and it seems like far too many people think it is. Of course it doesn't help that news networks will take tweets about stuff and report on them as if they are news.

I believe there are some people out that that saw the movie, thought it was bad, and then blamed it on their being a female cast because they didn't know why they hated it. So, they just used what was on the surface to attack a bad movie. This is what happens when a studio says their movie is great because of how woke they are, but the movie is actually bad.

To be fair, I only think this movie is bad as a Ghostbusters movie. If this movie was how they did Pixels, essentially a Ghostbusters parody, I would have liked it. However, it doesn't work as a Ghostbusters movie. The tone is just not right.
Slimered wrote: January 16th, 2019, 3:54 pmNow I'm very excited about this film, and I can't wait to see it, but the behind-the-scenes issue with this film is that it's letting the sexists win.

This is exactly what those disgusting misogynists wanted. In their minds, it validates their 'point' that women fighting ghosts 'doesn't work' (even though it does), and turns what should really be a harmless supernatural comedy movie into a political victory for people who only spread hate and contempt towards others.
They may think they're winning, but trust me, they aren't.
RichardLess wrote: January 17th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Slimered wrote: January 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm
The problem with the term 'reboot' is that it can mean different things to different people. It can be used to mean a sequel that doesn't feature the characters from a previous movie in a franchise, a film in a franchise set within a different continuity, a remake etc...

To me, Ghostbusters (2016) IS a reboot. It's a retooling of the original film, with four new characters who happen to be women. 'Batman Begins' and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' are also reboots, because they tell different stories in different continuities (albeit with characters who have been in previous films).

A reimagining in my mind would be taking a pre-existing story and telling it in a completely different genre.

I never said that, I said the action genre was a part of it. The 2016 just exaggerated that side of things more.

Again, it's a part of the film.

What do you think they are doing whenever they are busting a ghost with the Neutron Wands from their Proton Packs?

Critic scores doesn't mean a film is 'good', because opinion is subjective, but it's a good indicator of overall quality. It means that in professional opinion the film isn't bad, and that people whose job it is to review and analyse film generally enjoyed it.

"Rowan, collect your virginity from the lost and found!"

"That stuff went everywhere, by the way. In every crack,"

"It just makes me feel so warm and tingly inside." "That's probably the radiation."

"The hat is too much, right? Is it the wig or the hat?"

" Is it the boobs you don't like? Because I can make them... bigger,"
I love it. Ask's for quotes that are funny, quotes lines featured in the trailer. You think those lines are funny? Seriously?

Ah well.

Also GB fandom is not more toxic than any other fandom. It's just the fandom YOU happen to pay attention to. You want Toxic fans? See: Rick & Morty, South Park, Family Guy, Star Wars, Star Trek, Jumanji, Transformers, Gi: Joe, Monopoly, Simpsons, Scrabble(those scrabble fans be crazy yo!)
I can't even remember which lines were in the trailer. I know the 'virginity' one wasn't, and I found all of those quotes funny.
Then you have a poor sense of humor. The virginity line makes no sense. It's meant to be an insult, but when you actually think about the line it isn't. It's what you get when you tell your actors to say whatever comes to kind and redo the scene multiple times instead of sticking to a script.
Nova liked this
I agreed with your previous post, and while I think my quotes of the movie were far superior, I don't think we can just say someone has a poor sense of humor because of a disagreement on which lines are funny.

While I do think Slimered makes a few conclusions I highly doubt are true regarding the sexist win, it shows how humor is just subjective as I didn't find those line funny or just mildly entertaining, while I cracked up at the lines I mentioned before. Opinions, man.

It's a different tone, one can argue the tone between GB1 and 2 is different as well, times are a-changing, but the overall package still felt like a (slightly flawed) GBmovie to me. I happen to like it for reasons, you did not for reasons. It's not the end of the world and that feels like a pointless thing go argue.
RichardLess, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 11:39 pm I agreed with your previous post, and while I think my quotes of the movie were far superior, I don't think we can just say someone has a poor sense of humor because of a disagreement on which lines are funny.

While I do think Slimered makes a few conclusions I highly doubt are true regarding the sexist win, it shows how humor is just subjective as I didn't find those line funny or just mildly entertaining, while I cracked up at the lines I mentioned before. Opinions, man.

It's a different tone, one can argue the tone between GB1 and 2 is different as well, times are a-changing, but the overall package still felt like a (slightly flawed) GBmovie to me. I happen to like it for reasons, you did not for reasons. It's not the end of the world and that feels like a pointless thing go argue.
See this is why I say things like "I can't understand how certain GBfans can enjoy GB16 while also enjoying GB84" because besides GB16, I seem to have a similar sense of humour & personality as Alpha. So for me it's like, if this person has a similar sense of humour as me, and finds GB84 funny and great, and doesn't like certain types of humour..where's the disconnect. I do not mean it at all to mean "I have the superior judgement" or "your sense of humour sucks compared to mine" or as someone accused me of saying "you aren't a real GBfan" it's me just saying "why can't I enjoy this too!?!" "Why can't I see what they see". As I've said before, I WISH I liked GB16. Oh god how I wish I could enjoy another GB film. That would be amazing. But every time I look at it I'm just like..."ugh really? This is the best they could do?". Then I come on here and see that other fans enjoy it and I just don't see what they see. Yes it's "opinion" and we all have differences. But there's such a big gulf of understanding there that fascinates me.
Well, you have used various posts to explain your line "I can't understand how certain GBfans can enjoy GB16 while also enjoying GB84".

You meant to focus on the humor, but instead it came if as an elitist thing.
The short answer is I (and probably many others) just tolerate/like/love more types of humor, or are more open to a different tone.

Both tastes in humor are entirely ok, ofcourse.
montclaire wrote: January 17th, 2019, 9:56 am I showed the teaser to my wife last night, who really doesn't care one way or the other. She called to my daughter in the other room to show her the clip, and said "they're doing another Ghostbuster movie! But with the original guys - not those awful women." I didn't prompt any of this, and didn't comment on it. It was all her.
This reminds me of an artist on deviantArt that has a series of art works called 'Women of Science' all about women scientists in movies and TV; when I asked her if she'd include the first three women scientists in the movie (Erin, Abby and Jillian) as separate entries in this series, she told me no, because she didn't like the movie. It was simple as that, and I couldn't change her mind.
The internet (and especially social media) does not represent real life. Some otherwise "normal" people will create Twitter accounts just to troll people, movies, TV shows, etc.

Is there a large group of sexist dummies out there who hated the movie because "GirLS CAn'T BE GHosTBuStERs!"? Of course. But some people (including myself) just thought it was a bad movie. For SO many reasons that have nothing to do with gender. I've always wanted women Ghostbusters. Lots of GB fans were completely fine with the idea of women busters.

GB1 took some of the most successful writers, directors and comedians of all time, wrote a fantastic script that barely changed during production, and took everything seriously. They didn't talk down to the audience, and they played the characters honestly and truthfully.

GB16 took a director with a mixed filmography, a poorly-written script (I'm sorry but Rowan telling his evil plan to HIMSELF in the mirror, and then drawing pictures in his journal for Erin to conveniently read later -- that's just awful, awful writing), treated the audience like dummies, and hired a few decent comedians who all constantly fought to be the comic relief. That is not a recipe for an instant classic. Even positive reviews for GB16 say that it was basically just a "pretty good" time at the movies. As someone who has loved this franchise since birth, "pretty good" just isn't good enough for me.

So I am extremely pleased to see Reitman take over the director's chair because he knows first hand that this franchise isn't something that should be handled lightly. And I welcome a team with men and women. Just please don't lump everyone who disliked GB16 together. I just thought it was a straight-up bad movie, and I know I'm not alone.
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]