Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Alphagaia
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 3:58 am
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 3:56 am And my point is you immediately put words in someone's mouth because of it.
He is the one that used the words "her truth"....
And you are saying that isn't a thing when I point out it is. Police investigations always give people a chance to tell their version of the truth. So yes, it's a thing.

Look, you are right it's her opinion, I'm not arguing that, but by saying 'her truth' Feig supports her, understands her version, and acknowledges this isn't something you aren't allowed to disagree on, while you immediately went to we aren't allowed to disagree with him or her.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 22nd, 2019, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Wiggyof9
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 4:02 am
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 3:58 am

He is the one that used the words "her truth"....
And you are saying that isn't a thing when I point out it is. Police investigations always give people a chance to tell their version of the truth. So yes, it's a thing.
Yes, version of events, not "truth". police don't say "Please tell me your truth.". The word truth has meaning. You can't just call opinions truth. When you call something a truth (be it hers, yours, theirs, his, etc) you are implying that it is factual or irrefutable. There is no reason to change the term "opinion" to "truth" if not for this implication. If you don't understand this point then I don't know what to tell you.

Language is important. Words have meaning. The words we choose have meanings, both implied and otherwise.
savintheday liked this
By Alphagaia
Language is important. Words have meaning. The words we choose have meanings, both implied and otherwise.
Exactly why I think he is using 'her' instead of 'the'.

Maybe this explains better why I think there is a difference:
Personally I believe there is. Now I'm am not a philosopher, but from my experience I have come to distinguish between 'the truth' and 'my truth' like this:
'The truth', as I see it, is universally true. It is the sum total of all that is true. 'The truth' does not need agreement to survive. It passively exists independent of people's belief systems. Time will not erode it and even if the whole world doubted it – 'the truth' would still be 'the truth'.

'My truth' is 'the truth' that specifically confronts and transforms me. It is those 'truths' that through personal experiences, causes an epiphany in my thinking. 'My truth' helps me 'see', which is more than my intellectual understanding of the facts. 'My truth' forms in me a belief system that informs the decisions of my life.
"Truth is often revealed but rarely seen"
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... -the-truth

Also of note:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatl ... le/549968/

Why celebrities use the phrase 'your truth'.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 22nd, 2019, 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Alphagaia
deadderek wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 4:14 am So Ghostbusters 3 is coming...
Not my fault you placed that tweet here, mate!

Perhaps next time place it in a new thread if you don't want your the thread to derail by talking about the interpretation of the tweet.

But I get that it's annoying. I think I have said my piece.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 22nd, 2019, 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Alphagaia
While I think it's a healthy debate for our understanding in both the pro and cons about ATC, understanding both sides, closing the gap, and a showcase how quickly things can get warped (on both sides!) I understand it's maybe reserved for another thread.

Wiggy, if you want to continue this feel free to PM me or we could make a thread about it, ofcourse.
Sav C liked this
By Jangonate
Arguing over semantics here. Truth really is a relative term. The truths we believe in are in many ways shaped by the world. If we disagree politically, what I consider the truth about the state of our country may be reduced to opinion or ‘fake news’ by one who thinks differently. Because there perception of the world that defines their truth doesn’t match up.

Many people in here that look at ATC as an absolute failure and a terrible film may say this is their opinion, but often they post it as if it is the truth. IE “I don’t understand how anyone could love the originals and enjoy this film!” Why? Because the truth is that ATC is not Ghostbusters.

In my context as a pastor I always tell people that our goal is to tell our story over our opinions. Why is it we believe what we believe? That’s shaped by experience and our life’s story. I would definitely say that is defined as telling your truth.

For Leslie, I’m not a fan of her remarks because they do cast a blanket statement on all fans and not a grotesque subset of the group. For instance, I loved ATC. My son is in the “I love Patty” video from LHS. I’m really excited for GB20. So when I here her words I KNOW they aren’t directed at me. And so I don’t take offense. But I also see where those words can be picked up and used as weapons. I also know that she was railed on by haters and their is a deep personal hurt here in this announcement that is more than “I don’t get to make another film.” I think she really feels like those that ruined a portion of her life are getting what they want and I know that’s heartbreaking, even if it isn’t 100% true.

Paul Feig is being that dad figure. His statement is saying he knows how she feels. He knows her hurt better than most. He knows her experience and her truth and respects it. But I also feel what he says following it is well written and heartfelt. He wants another film, but he certainly supports Reitman. Especially, because Jason has nothing to do with the turmoil he went through.
By Jangonate
Ha ha! I missed a page of conversation, it seems before making my post. Sorry to keep that conversation going when it was starting to move on.

The ‘truth’ is (sorry!) I don’t know if we’ll get any really big announcements until June’s GB fest. They’ve held everything close to the chest on this one. Just look at how ‘out of nowhere’ this announcement came. Maybe we’ll get some set photos when they start filming in a couple of months. Or maybe Reitman, like Feig, will share equipment photos, cast info and what not. I hope for a steady trickle instead of a long wait for a big announcement. But part of me wonders if they’ll hold back considering how every bit of info from ATC was scrutinized out of context.
By Alphagaia
Oh, they are in there. I think he knows he can ask a hefty price as well.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how big their individual roles are going to be.
deadderek liked this
By SSJmole
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:30 amThe only thing I'm not sure about is how big their individual roles are going to be.
They won't show up until a post credits scene where they arrive at the battle go "we missed it? Maybe next time" to tease next movie

I'm joking I hope it's a lot more than that lol
By SSJmole
deadderek wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:52 am People would lose their shit and riot.
It worked for evil dead!

Again im joking I hope they have big enough part it feels like a passing of the torch.
By SSJmole
I'm also saddened by thought Bill Murray did 2 Garfield movies yet this he might pass on. Like Ernie Hudson was in Dragonball evolution yet might not be in this or only a little part.

That to me would be like if Mark hamill had been in twilight but not episode VII and VIII , while I'm not a fan of those I'd still question it lol
By Alphagaia
I think the only reason he did two Garfield's was because he was contractually obliged when he signed on for the first one.

Bill is a strange character, and he hates sequels, but he is also in Zombieland 2, with Dan, so I guess it's not that big a wild shot.
By SSJmole
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 12:36 pm I think the only reason he did two Garfield's was because he was contractually obliged when he signed on for the first one.

Bill is a strange character, and he hates sequels, but he is also in Zombieland 2, with Dan, so I guess it's not that big a wild shot.
Makes sense it's just weird. Like I love ATC as you know but he agreed to that faster than he did this which is just sad to me lol but if hates doing sequels that's fair
By Sav C
Davideverona wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:33 am Can't we, as one of the most official fan club, send a statement to Sony/main press which says we're not on one side or the other, but plain simply Ghostbusters' fans? Every iteration of Ghostbusters. Even the Filmation ones.
I like this plan! Perhaps we could get, say, twelve people (five who like ATC; five, dislike ATC; two, neutral) to craft the statement. Once written, it could be posted publicly, and fans could lend their names or usernames to it. It could then be printed out, and mailed to the press and important people in the franchise (Aykroyd, Reitman, Feig, Jones).

We need a statement that everyone in this fandom can get behind, something that appeals to the best in each and every one of us. Something good. Something decent. Something pure.
By SSJmole
Sav C wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:12 pm
Davideverona wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:33 am Can't we, as one of the most official fan club, send a statement to Sony/main press which says we're not on one side or the other, but plain simply Ghostbusters' fans? Every iteration of Ghostbusters. Even the Filmation ones.
I like this plan! Perhaps we could get, say, twelve people (five who like ATC; five, dislike ATC; two, neutral) to craft the statement. Once written, it could be posted publicly, and fans could lend their names or usernames to it. It could then be printed out, and mailed to the press and important people in the franchise (Aykroyd, Reitman, Feig, Jones).

We need a statement that everyone in this fandom can get behind, something that appeals to the best in each and every one of us. Something good. Something decent. Something pure.
Best thing for that was ghostheads documentary (available now in Netflix) it showed fans old and new and everyone included and old fan's getting hyped for new ecto 1. Honestly it's brilliant showcase of how the fanbase should be instead of what it became. I love that documentary
Sav C liked this
By BatDan
people keep stating, "Jason Reitman has never taken on a big budget film before"

rewind back to the 1983. Animal House, Meatballs, Cannibal Girls..weren't exactly 'high concept productions' either. Aside from a few stunts, Stripes was pretty much in the same camp as well.
dr.paul, SSJmole, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By SSJmole
BatDan wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 3:27 pm people keep stating, "Jason Reitman has never taken on a big budget film before"

rewind back to the 1983. Animal House, Meatballs, Cannibal Girls..weren't exactly 'high concept productions' either. Aside from a few stunts, Stripes was pretty much in the same camp as well.
To be fair it's a different ball game now. To compaired orginal had a $30 million budget. 2016 had $144 million , animal House had $3 million , Juno was 6.5. jumping from 3 to 30 is less of a jump than 7 to 140. Like the first transformers was $150 million.

I'm not saying they are better because of budget but rather ghostbusters today is such a big franchise or name it needs to look as good as modern blockbusters that's something that could be an issue for him as the hike in budget means there is a hike in profit needed to be successful.

On the flip side though sam Rani went from 11 million films to 139 million for Spider-Man and regardless of how 3 was or the reboots 1+2 are still great films that hold up so it can be done. Plus he has Sony not wanting it to fail so they'll help , Dan helping him too. Means he could pull it off very well.

What this film will hinge on is the effects. If he goes too old school it could look bad for today's films will hurt it's box office appeal or he goes to modern and alienates the older fans and looses part of its charm.

It's tough place to be in. Like ATC has been argued it's budget was too high , on the flip side it looks fantastic imo. I'm not talking style just how it looks as different people prefer different styles. Like Dragonball Resurrection F looks great in motion ect... But some don't like art style (I do like I loved the ATC styles)

This will be a challenge and I can see both sides of if we should be nervous based on budget.
BatDan liked this

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]