Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Wiggyof9
BatDan wrote: February 17th, 2019, 8:00 am I just can't get behind covering Egons death in some gloomy way. This isn't an X-Men film with some rainy funeral of ProfessorX, it's a continuation of a mostly light hearted 80s sci-fi comedy. Save the "dark" tones for the spooky stuff.

Unless it's explained in a comedic way, that I can get behind. Say, he actually drilled his head or he walked into another dimension for science. That's more "in character" with the comedic tones.
Ghostbusters is a comedy, but they took their death seriously. When they crossed the streams they expected to die and you see them realize this as they say their subtle goodbyes. I can't imagine them taking Egon's death lightly.

If they go with something somber it will suck. If they go with something funny it will suck. They need to go with a heroic sacrifice.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 17th, 2019, 9:18 am
BatDan wrote: February 17th, 2019, 8:00 am I just can't get behind covering Egons death in some gloomy way. This isn't an X-Men film with some rainy funeral of ProfessorX, it's a continuation of a mostly light hearted 80s sci-fi comedy. Save the "dark" tones for the spooky stuff.

Unless it's explained in a comedic way, that I can get behind. Say, he actually drilled his head or he walked into another dimension for science. That's more "in character" with the comedic tones.
Ghostbusters is a comedy, but they took their death seriously. When they crossed the streams they expected to die and you see them realize this as they say their subtle goodbyes. I can't imagine them taking Egon's death lightly.

If they go with something somber it will suck. If they go with something funny it will suck. They need to go with a heroic sacrifice.

I'm with you, Wiggy. Definitely the way to go.
By Slimered
Coover5 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Slimered wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:19 pm Who says it would be easily hackable? If it used an app that only the Ghostbusters had access to how could anyone hack it?

Besides, everything is done via smartphones now. It would be unrealistic for the film not to reflect this part of society.
The definition of hacking is "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer" You're argument is how can it be hacked if someone doesn't have access. The entire pointing of hacking is gaining access to something you're not supposed to. And hardly anything is done by smartphones now. They are used for cameras, internet access and phone calls. That's it. Hardly a necessity.
Not true. Anything can be done with a smartphone, and pretty much everything is. There's an app for everything out there. I don't see why Ghostbusting wouldn't be any different. Not every app is hacked by hackers, and a brain as clever as Egon's would have deduced through science a means to stop any hacking attempts.
By Slimered
Alphagaia wrote: February 17th, 2019, 1:36 am I would buy a new GB game for the Switch so hard. Especially if made by Nintendo. The Luigi's Mansion series is tight!

That being said, I would also buy a PS4/XBox if a half decent GBgame would show up.
A Luigi's Mansion/Ghostbusters crossover game would be amazing.
By RichRyan1507
Slimered wrote: February 17th, 2019, 4:17 pm
Coover5 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:37 pm

The definition of hacking is "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer" You're argument is how can it be hacked if someone doesn't have access. The entire pointing of hacking is gaining access to something you're not supposed to. And hardly anything is done by smartphones now. They are used for cameras, internet access and phone calls. That's it. Hardly a necessity.
Not true. Anything can be done with a smartphone, and pretty much everything is. There's an app for everything out there. I don't see why Ghostbusting wouldn't be any different. Not every app is hacked by hackers, and a brain as clever as Egon's would have deduced through science a means to stop any hacking attempts.

Egon is dead and there won't be smart phones controlling the equipment lol. Enough.
Coover5, Sav C, seekandannoy liked this
By timeware
Thanks. Seriously though I can totally get behind Egon possessing an old PKE meter and guiding the kids until things get out of hand. Kind of like the sixth sense.
Coover5 liked this
By Dr.D
The ghostbusting equipment is a means to tell the story. The Proton Pack is essentially a gag that worked best when we as an audience didn't know what was gonna happen. I know it's very hard for people to take a step back and look objectively at a something very near and dear to their hearts, but this movie has to be as much, if not more, for people who are only casual fans and not just people like on this message board. Ghostbusters is inherently a silly concept that is taken seriously in the most comedic way. The equipment and bug exterminator like nature of the job is what makes the characters endearing to an audience. Shoehorning in a bunch of random new modern equipment that isn't specific to the plot would be boring. Feig already did it. And let's be honest, part of the joke in 84 was that this equipment looked sorta haphazard and out of date.

I guess my point is, given what we know about who is making this movie and what the reboot already did, don't expect this movie to be some kinda huge "cool" action movie. Will there be new equipment and stuff? Sure, merchandising is important. But I think if we do it'll be really strange.

Again, have to try and be objective and look at this movie as essentially a product. Think of a family member who don't love Ghostbusters. I'm not saying that hate it, I'm just saying they are more the general audience.
Wiggyof9, Sav C, savintheday and 3 others liked this
By Coover5
I hear a lot of talk about new equipment for the sake of merchandising but to me that doesn't fly. There is so little affordable stuff marketed towards kids right now. What we can be sure of for toys: 4 busters (because they will definitely put out the original 4 in the film or not), 2 kids, 1 antagonist, 1 secondary antagonist. Ectomobile. Main character headquarters. Where ever the finale happens playset. Roleplay toys: Goggles, pke meter, ghost trap and proton pack plus uniform (as pajamas maybe) So based on the essentials we have an 8 figure toy line, 1 toy car, 2 play sets and 5 roleplay toys plus a minimum of 1 puzzle, 1 coloring book, 1 lego set, and 1 game (card, video, board or other type). There is so much already without new stuff.

Will the original equipment be updated? Probably not. It's bad marketing. The original fans love it and it's instantly recognizable. No reason to change it for the people who aren't familiar with Ghostbusters because it would be a total waste of resources. But will there be new stuff? For sure. There was new stuff in GBii (giga meter, slime blower, kud meter) so things will definitely be spiced up. But it would have little to do with marketing.

Jason Reitman makes character driven films and there's nothing character driven about a special effect fest with flashy props. If anything the story Reitman's written up is probably like a stage play with a few sets and a lot of driven dialogue. I see this being much closer to GB1 with minimal effects not because it's trying to recreate it but because Jason doesn't need it to tell a good story.
Sav C, RichRyan1507 liked this
By timeware
Again, have to try and be objective and look at this movie as essentially a product. Think of a family member who don't love Ghostbusters. I'm not saying that hate it, I'm just saying they are more the general audience.
If Ghostbusters 2 was anything to go by it was a child of pure product placement. ATC suffered from lack of that. I don't remember really any scenes where a can of pepsi or a even a fast food joint was really focused on. I don't even think the chinese restraunt the GB's made as their headquarters was an actual chain.

Sure the general audiance will be buying tickets but if they don't advertise or have fast food chain tie in's the general audiance is going to pass it by.

Sure we got Ecto Cooler and twinkies but not much else. They fudged the marketing on that one. I would like to see Ghost Corps learn from that by reaching out Mc Donalds, Pepsi, Nike, Dominoes etc, etc. More toy commercials would be a plus.

I want to walk in the store and see the giant display of coke products stacked to look like the GB logo. (With the Ghostbusters logo on the coke products as well.)

I want to walk into a mc donalds and hear the Ghostbusters theme song play as pople walk in, and damn it, I want my Ecto Cooler!
By Wiggyof9
timeware wrote: February 17th, 2019, 9:33 pm If Ghostbusters 2 was anything to go by it was a child of pure product placement. ATC suffered from lack of that. I don't remember really any scenes where a can of pepsi or a even a fast food joint was really focused on. I don't even think the chinese restraunt the GB's made as their headquarters was an actual chain.
That's a joke, right? There was product placement all over that thing. The Pringles scene, they are seen eating Pap john's Pizza in NEW ORK CITY where they have access to great pizza, the Times Square scene has coke logos all over it (which is partnered with SONY). All the electronics they use are SONY branded. The DVD and Bluray has coupons coming out of all sides. Suffered from a lack of product placement???
RichRyan1507, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
I'm always surprised how much product placement a movie has. Then again, it pays the bills and while I don't think GB2020 will be intended as a 140 MM blockbuster, it will have it's fair share of it.

Check this site to see how much product placement you missed in your favorite movie(s)!

GB1
https://productplacementblog.com/?s=Ghostbusters+1984

GB2
https://productplacementblog.com/tag/gh ... rs-2-1989/

ATC
https://productplacementblog.com/?s=Ghostbusters+2016
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
You say that in jest, but the goofy GB dancing (with Slimer) in RGB was one my favorite credit scenes as a kid, and when I finally saw the videoclip of Ray Parkers GB I loved that as well.

And yeah, the way they did the 'interactive' end credits in ATC was a nice touch that somehow made me think of that.

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder if Slimer will be in it at all, and if he will be GB1 or GB2 Slimer.
By Coover5
I actually love the ending to GBii more than GBi because they are getting the key to the city. GB1 worked because it was impromptu but by Gbii they had saved the world twice and deserved more than cheering. I'm not sure I would want to see a full parade at the end of GB20 but I'd love for the cheering to be a signal of something. Whether it signals the world reembracing the Ghostbusters, the new recruits getting a seal of approval, marking the end of an era or some other significant sign we can't predict yet.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
I'd like a (better refined) GB1 Slimer. The GB2 green spud seems too big.

I would like the GB2 proton streams, maybe the new packs may have a EGB coloured stream.

AND

i don't understand why many people seems to think that the only way to send off the original Ghostbusters is with an heroic sacrifice.

Can't they simply retire from active duty? They may be no more up to the job physically speaking but they still have a lot of knowledge to share.
By mrmichaelt
Coover5 wrote: February 18th, 2019, 2:20 am I take it back. I would love a parade at the end of GB20 if it's presented like the Key to the City was one in GBii.
Me, too. We almost got to see that in The Video Game. Saw it few times on RGB.
By Coover5
Admittedly I was one of those folks who thought it would be difficult to have the busters around because it seemed odd to have them willingly send in 20-30 year olds to risk life and limb but I liked your comparison to Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond. It's going to be a careful balancing act between demonstrating that they are too old to bust ghosts and having it not feel like a trip to a nursing home.

I think GBII would have been a great plot to have had the Busters with a new team. Inside the museum the new guys are battling Vigo and on the outside the Busters are keeping the slime shell at bay and possibly battle ghosts find their way out of the slime. Perhaps, something like that again. Not a copy of Vigo but dividing the danger.
By back
So Many Posts to Quote here, so I'll just try to sum up my 45 cents...

Egon Dead?
Almost. Knowing Ray, he probably turned his beer fridge into a Cryogenic chamber & stuffed Egon into it, keep him safe until one day in the FAR future where he May be healed. :blush:

Kids working on Proton Packs?
Thats just F***ing Stupid! Im sorry, it Just Is!
Kids can barely parallel park a smart car. Last I checked it took a team of Scientists to put those things together.

Product Placement?
Of course! Alot of it too, hopefully for the Cheeze-Its & Twinkies.

Smart phones used?
If the tech worked in the 80s, it'll work again today. The answer is NO.
Since when do we need a Frigging phone to pull a trigger or roll out a trap? How lazy is the new cast going to be to be Depending on a cell phone?! :sigh:

Original Living cast involved?
Well, if Sony wants the movie to make money, yes.

New Packs?
Upgrades seem like a better course of action... Unless Kenner jumps in and its aimed at Only 7 year olds. :sigh:

Cameos?
Can you think of any celebrities that dig Ghostbusters? Why shouldnt there be?

Death?
It seems that EVERY TV show now a days Ends when Everybody dies (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Lost, etc)... Only way to shut them out of the story line for good. :whatever:

Torch Passing?
I dont think theres any other way. New busters will have to jump into play and hopefully give the audience & fans what we Deserve. We've only been waitng 30'ish years for it :/

Coffee?
Yes have some. :vinzclortho:
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

EDIT: Accidentally left out a chunk in chapter one[…]