Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RichRyan1507
Dr.D wrote: February 20th, 2019, 10:22 am A month probably won't be enough for anything more than another. But you know what would be brilliant?

Bringing the new cast to Fan Fest.

Honestly, I think that's why it's so freaking expensive. They're going to keep a ton of stuff regarding the new movie completely under wraps and have all kinds of exclusive announcements and never seen footage of the new film that will be introduced to the attendees.
Dr.D liked this
By Dr.D
Agreed, but I don't think there will be a new trailer. Maybe a single scene which won't be released to the public. I think alot will be announced but most of it will end up in the public sphere. I'm sure some of the bigger "nerd news" sites will have people there to cover the event.

Have to keep in mind Sony needs this movie desperately. Even before the email hack, Sony has been in the red with their entertainment division for years. Without Pascal or Feig, I feel like Aykroyd and Reitman for better or worse have more creative control. Sony knows Ghostbusters is one of the few IPs they own lock, stock, and barrel. They aren't just pushing GB because of nostalgia, it's also because they are running out of options. Venom was a pretty nice boon for them but they still have to split part of that with Marvel. GB and Men in Black are being redone because Sony needs a big win for an in-house brand.

The most ironic thing is, I think the less-than-successful 2016 reboot will end up being a blessing in disguise so to speak. I'm not bashing the movie or going off topic, merely pointing out the objective fact that Sony didn't foot the bill for that movie to come in second opening weekend and have a massive drop-off and end up losing 70-100 million. But I think it will help them avoid the pitfalls Feig's movie fell into. (And this is an opinion but Jason Reitman is a far more capeable and talented director than Feig)

The best thing about all of this is that we really have no idea what to expect and that's so exciting. Reitman has never helmed a project with the kind of commercial potential as this. For a while, I'd been championing someone like Edgar Wright or Taika Waititi to direct a new Ghostbusters because I felt like they would provide a style and tonal shift the series needs to survive. Reitman fits that mold in a different way. If this movie works, Sony will absolutley turn things up to 11. They didn't build a mini Firehouse on their lot to not churn out Ghostbusters material. Cartoons, TV shows, more fan fests, who knows what they could do if this works.

I guess my point is while this Fan Fest thing seems like a bit of a debacle, I still have some faith we're in good hands.

Also, and this is the WILDEST speculation, the prospect of Rick Moranis coming back to acting excites me to no end. Doesn't even have to be Ghostbusters, but imagine how much people would love it if Sony announced he was coming back. :vinzclortho:
By Davideverona
Maybe that "more to be announced" in the guest list is because they still have to find (or finalize talks with) the new cast.

How cool would be the confirmation of the original cast returning? It will be a fan fest AND the celebration of the original Ghostbusters. Aykroyd and Hudson on the stage together, maybe Murray, announcing a scene:

-Black screen. Voice over "ok guys, one last time". A couple of hands zip up the jumpsuit, a proton pack turns on. Zoom in, Ray and Winston in full attire. Walk off screen. Camera turns, Venkman: "I'll finish my coffe. See, kid? No need to hurry up" (a pun to all the years needed to put GB3 off the ground)
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Slimered
Alphagaia wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:07 am I really liked Monster House, kinda hope there is a living house/barn in this one, but I never saw the Poltergeist remake. Should I remedy this mistake tonight?
Monster House is brilliant. The living house in question has so much personality in its design and way it's animated, and the kid characters are very likeable too.
By Slimered
Dr.D wrote: February 20th, 2019, 10:59 am They aren't just pushing GB because of nostalgia, it's also because they are running out of options. Venom was a pretty nice boon for them but they still have to split part of that with Marvel. GB and Men in Black are being redone because Sony needs a big win for an in-house brand.
Are we forgetting about Jumanji? Welcome To The Jungle was very successful for Sony, and more than likely the reason why Sony greenlit Ghostbusters 3 and are really pushing Men In Black: International.
Sav C, RichRyan1507 liked this
By SpaceBallz
mrmichaelt wrote: February 20th, 2019, 4:11 pm Production Weekly reports they are "planning to shoot for 15 weeks on location in Calgary, Alberta beginning on-or-about June 25th."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuHVOQIAKkY/
Welp, guess that settles the debate of whether or not this will be set in New York. Maybe we will get to see the original HQ at the end?
By mrmichaelt
SpaceBallz wrote: February 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm Welp, guess that settles the debate of whether or not this will be set in New York. Maybe we will get to see the original HQ at the end?
There's still the chance they will film some exteriors in New York after they finish in Alberta, imo.
By Sav C
I guess it really is hard to film in NYC these days... Perhaps I could get a job on GB2020, postpone any college "plans" for a year, have a really cool working experience on a Ghostbusters movie, and not have to update my passport, lol.
Coover5, RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
It's so much cheaper to film in Canada and no one notices the difference other than when someone says "Aboot" or "Sorey". Fringe. X-Files. Goosebumps. All shows taking placing around America and I really doubt anyone here in the States really noticed or cared it was Canada.

Personally, I'd be okay with a Non-NY/Non-US/Non-North America setting especially because it helps the expansion of the franchise.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Kingpin
Coover5 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:56 amGil Kenan, GB20 cowriter, may not be a name you recognize immediately but he directed Monster House and the Poltergeist remake. For those of you who have seen either or both of those films, knowing his past work with ghosts do you feel more or less excited about GB20?
I loved Monster House, I wish it could've lived up to the scarier allusions that were made of it, especially in the comics... But I understand the concessions, being that it's a kid's film. The investigation by the kids, and some of their banter and interaction with each other could work well with the characters in 2020.

Poltergeist was well-executed on a technical level, but apart from a few neat twists on some of the memorable pieces from the original 1980s film, it felt mostly a 'meh' reimagining of the original.

I'm willing to keep an open mind though, thanks to Monster House.
SpaceBallz wrote: February 20th, 2019, 4:49 pmWelp, guess that settles the debate of whether or not this will be set in New York. Maybe we will get to see the original HQ at the end?
Remember, Feig filmed the reboot in Boston and it was still solidly grounded in New York.
RichRyan1507, Coover5, Sav C liked this
By timeware
No way man. That isn't corner gas. That barn is clearly the remnants of the Road House bar. With IDW's Transformer crossover their pulling Chris Latta from the grave just to reprise his role as Starscream.
By Coover5
Alright guys, time to speculate based on that comment.

Could GB20 be about Ray in his barn waiting until July because he wants to set off fireworks? are those not pack effects we hear but firecrackers? Are we finally going to see Camp Waconda??? Could it be?????
New PKE build

One more video demonstration with handheld operati[…]

Yep, and nightmare on elm street dream warriors.

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]