Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By Alex Newborn
910dohead wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 12:42 pm I just received a pre-order arrival e-mail from Big Bad Toy Store, thinking it was for Series 10 (which appears to be trickling out now). However, when I opened the e-mail, it says its for Marshmallow Mess Egon Spengler? Wasn't this supposed to be coming out later in March or April? Did anyone else get this e-mail? I have also been charged the $17.99 plus shipping. Well, I guess that's a total surprise and if anyone else wants to grab it, it's available and IN STOCK on Big Bad's site.
I got the same notifications about Marshmallow Egon.

Alex
ccv66 liked this
By Wiggyof9
I got the same email. DST said that both series 10 and Egon shipped at the same time. I was hoping they would both arrive at the same time too.
By 910dohead
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 10:48 am I got the same email. DST said that both series 10 and Egon shipped at the same time. I was hoping they would both arrive at the same time too.
I haven't got any notification about series 10 yet
By Dr.D
Anyone notice there is basically no more sign of Ghostbusters on their website? Outside the shipping announcement for the last wave they've no indication of anything GB.

Guessing things are changing around with the new movie coming out. Licenses changing hands.
By elsoldao7
I really can't complain about the DST line. I love 'em!
But after seeing Neca's movie Turtles, I REALLY hope Neca gets a chance at bat with a GB licence!Image
By Wiggyof9
Dr.D wrote: February 25th, 2019, 1:55 pm Anyone notice there is basically no more sign of Ghostbusters on their website? Outside the shipping announcement for the last wave they've no indication of anything GB.

Guessing things are changing around with the new movie coming out. Licenses changing hands.
DST has insisted on social media that more are coming. A new movie wouldnt change their license if they paid for a certain amount of time.
By Coover5
And DST is in a tough situation especially dealing with Sony. Before the Sony email leak there was another "leak" that got Sony upset. Sony was teasing what Venom would look like in Spider-man 3. What didn't seem to occur to anyone in marketing was the number of Venom toys that were coming out. Action figures. Banks. Sculptures. They all gave away Venom's look. Sony probably learned from that so they may be waiting to the last minute to give any sort of okay to DST for GB20 figures. And until then DST themselves probably don't know what to do.
By 910dohead
elsoldao7 wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:08 pm I really can't complain about the DST line. I love 'em!
But after seeing Neca's movie Turtles, I REALLY hope Neca gets a chance at bat with a GB licence!

NECA already had their shot with making Ghostbusters figures. They produced both Terror Dogs (Vinz/Zuul - with light-up eyes), Slimer and Gozer. The figures look fantastic but they only have a limited 5 points of articulation. They also produced Stay Puft, which in my opinion is a terrible sculpt. Everything about it from the body texture to the facial expression is completely off. The nail in the coffin for the line was that NECA couldn't secure the likeness rights to the 4 Ghostbusters, so they never materialized. However, it would be cool to one day see their prototypes of what could've been (if they ever existed in the first place). Also, the Gozer/Terror Dogs in the NECA line was Matty Collectors reason for not producing the characters for their line. Seems contradictory as NECA had a Slimer but we got several different variants of him from Matty (I believe NECA still had the licensing rights for figures of those characters during the Matty production run. Mattel was probably only able to produce Slimer due to his sculpt being wildly different from NECA's). Also, I am not disagreeing with you as I think NECA would produce great versions of the Ghostbusters. However, I don't think they would be too far off from DST's. An obvious, but small upgrade in the sculpts which would make me feel like i'd be quadra-dipping at that point; going from NECA > Matty > DST > (back to) NECA. There are only so many Ghostbusters action figures that one could/would possibly ever need.
By grantofkings
910dohead wrote:
elsoldao7 wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:08 pm I really can't complain about the DST line. I love 'em!
But after seeing Neca's movie Turtles, I REALLY hope Neca gets a chance at bat with a GB licence!

NECA already had their shot with making Ghostbusters figures. They produced both Terror Dogs (Vinz/Zuul - with light-up eyes), Slimer and Gozer. The figures look fantastic but they only have a limited 5 points of articulation. They also produced Stay Puft, which in my opinion is a terrible sculpt. Everything about it from the body texture to the facial expression is completely off. The nail in the coffin for the line was that NECA couldn't secure the likeness rights to the 4 Ghostbusters, so they never materialized. However, it would be cool to one day see their prototypes of what could've been (if they ever existed in the first place). Also, the Gozer/Terror Dogs in the NECA line was Matty Collectors reason for not producing the characters for their line. Seems contradictory as NECA had a Slimer but we got several different variants of him from Matty (I believe NECA still had the licensing rights for figures of those characters during the Matty production run. Mattel was probably only able to produce Slimer due to his sculpt being wildly different from NECA's). Also, I am not disagreeing with you as I think NECA would produce great versions of the Ghostbusters. However, I don't think they would be too far off from DST's. An obvious, but small upgrade in the sculpts which would make me feel like i'd be quadra-dipping at that point; going from NECA > Matty > DST > (back to) NECA. There are only so many Ghostbusters action figures that one could/would possibly ever need.

To be fair, that was in the early days of NECA, and was one of their first lines. Everything they were making was minimal articulation, because that was still where the mindset for the collector market was.

They were also scrambling to get the licenses, when they didn’t have a name or any weight to who they were. NECA today, with their resume, is a lot more impressive than what Cult Classics was in 200(3?...4?). It was also before 2009, when Ghostbusters rights opened up more because of the video game.

I love that Stay Puft, despite its inaccuracies. I still think the ghosts they made have yet to be beat.
christphern liked this
By elsoldao7
910dohead wrote:

Yeah but that was what?, 15+ years ago?
They're doing kick@$$ work now! I'd LOVE for them to get a chance to do the guys!
By 910dohead
I totally agree with you two and I should have mentioned that time has passed and the collectible market/NECA practices have evolved. I just figured that was obvious and assumed the line would continue from the beginnings and not be redone, retooled or rebooted. However, the last few lines of my post is how I would probably want myself to feel. Who is to say, that upon seeing a new line of NECA Ghostbusters, wouldn't have me excited about having another go at another Ghostbusters figure line? Who am I kidding? Me! because I probably totally will have at it. Hahahaha! I think in the back of my mind I am trying to talk myself out of it because my wallet is toast and I have ran out of space. We will have to wait until DST says goodbye to the line, but thankfully (for now) it continues. I would rather be getting something than nothing. While we're at it, if we're going to hypothetically get another five waves from DST, should there be another collect-and-connect set? A build-a-containment unit basement from Real Ghostbusters or maybe the first floor firehouse interior? Technically, I should be buying more vintage lines, but the new stuff being pumped out is just too good and hard to pass up.

I've realized I completely flip-flopped on what I said above, but I just figured you haven't heard of the already NECA line. Laid down some known facts about the wave and ended it with my (often-wrong) future opinion. In reality, I don't care who makes the figures, as long as they look good, don't cost a fortune and can get my hands on them.
By 910dohead
grantofkings wrote: February 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm I love that Stay Puft, despite its inaccuracies. I still think the ghosts they made have yet to be beat.

I have all of the figure lines completed from Real Ghostbusters to current and that's the one figure I just couldn't pull the trigger on. That and the DST 24" Stay Puft. Technically, it's a bank and I am fine with the smaller version. Yeah, the ghosts were awesome and I still prefer the sculpts over the DST versions.

Speaking of Stay Puft, I think the end-all/be-all version is the one from Bandai/S.H. Figuarts. Such a gorgeous and well made piece! My only complaint is that I wish it were larger. Anyways, I would love to see that company produce a full line! I'd find a way to refill my wallet.

By Wiggyof9
Coover5 wrote: February 26th, 2019, 7:49 am And DST is in a tough situation especially dealing with Sony. Before the Sony email leak there was another "leak" that got Sony upset. Sony was teasing what Venom would look like in Spider-man 3. What didn't seem to occur to anyone in marketing was the number of Venom toys that were coming out. Action figures. Banks. Sculptures. They all gave away Venom's look. Sony probably learned from that so they may be waiting to the last minute to give any sort of okay to DST for GB20 figures. And until then DST themselves probably don't know what to do.
This assumes that te reason we have not seen new figures yet is because they are based on the GB20 movie. Considering how early that project is in production, I don't think that is the case. For one, I don't know if the GB license automatically grants them access to GB20. Also, with the RGB stuff being so popular I would think the next fews waves would be RGB based.

All I know is that I want more ghosts and less Ghostbusters. The first set of figures was pretty good with this. We got the 4 GBs, 2 variants, Peck, Janine, Dana (Zuul) and Luis (Vinz) 10 humans and 5 ghosts (or 6 depending on how you view the terror dogs). We got Gozer, Slimer, Terror Dogs, Taxi ghost, and Library ghost. That's a good mix.

The next round of figures was a lot less balance. We got 4 more GBs with new heads and gray suits, Luis as a GB, then 2 variants with slime blowers. We got Janosz and then Vigo... and that was it for GB2. 7 variations on the GBs (including Luis), one human "villain" and the only "ghost" is a human. At least Gozer looked demonic, but Vigo is just a guy. No ghosts made an appearance, apparently for license reasons. Then we round out the fire house line with 4 more GBs, though in animated style, a cartoon Slimer and a cartoon StayPuft.

For this line to go on, they REALLY need to get those ghosts out there. In particular they need to get the movie ghosts IMO. ILM seems t hold the rights to the GB2 ghosts, but what keeps us from getting the Subway ghost? Also, I hope they worked out the issue with ILM so we also get the Theater ghost, jogger ghost, an updated Slimer from GB2 with the new smaller arms, the Scoleri Bros. These are huge holes in the line that I really hope they fix.

I think they hit the limit of how many GB variations they can do without giving us more ghosts. Sure, they can still do court room versions, commercial versions in the lab coats, and even casual clothes versions, but those will get old fast without more ghosts.
By Wiggyof9
910dohead wrote: February 26th, 2019, 1:40 pm I have all of the figure lines completed from Real Ghostbusters to current and that's the one figure I just couldn't pull the trigger on. That and the DST 24" Stay Puft. Technically, it's a bank and I am fine with the smaller version. Yeah, the ghosts were awesome and I still prefer the sculpts over the DST versions.

Speaking of Stay Puft, I think the end-all/be-all version is the one from Bandai/S.H. Figuarts. Such a gorgeous and well made piece! My only complaint is that I wish it were larger. Anyways, I would love to see that company produce a full line! I'd find a way to refill my wallet.

That S.H. Figuarts Stay Puft looks great and is surprisingly articulated. I was hoping that the DST one would be like the Figuarts one, but it seems to lack the agility based on videos I have seen. I should have mine by Friday so I will find out then.
By Coover5
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 27th, 2019, 1:40 pm
This assumes that te reason we have not seen new figures yet is because they are based on the GB20 movie. Considering how early that project is in production, I don't think that is the case. For one, I don't know if the GB license automatically grants them access to GB20. Also, with the RGB stuff being so popular I would think the next fews waves would be RGB based.

It has nothing to do with how early in production it is about how close to the release they are. If DST is going to make figures for GB20 they have to start about the same time filming starts because of how long it takes to produce figures. A toy company typically knows what is coming out 5 years down the line and DST wouldn't be any different. So it's not that they aren't sure what's coming it's knowing what's already planned and deciding if canning it for GB20 is worth it. And it's very unlikely for them not to get the GB20 rights because they have the GB collector figure rights which means Sony would have to make up some excuse why GB20 isn't included. DST however would not get the non collector toy line because their license is specific to collector figures.
Last edited by Coover5 on February 27th, 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DarkSpectre
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 27th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Coover5 wrote: February 26th, 2019, 7:49 am And DST is in a tough situation especially dealing with Sony. Before the Sony email leak there was another "leak" that got Sony upset. Sony was teasing what Venom would look like in Spider-man 3. What didn't seem to occur to anyone in marketing was the number of Venom toys that were coming out. Action figures. Banks. Sculptures. They all gave away Venom's look. Sony probably learned from that so they may be waiting to the last minute to give any sort of okay to DST for GB20 figures. And until then DST themselves probably don't know what to do.

All I know is that I want more ghosts and less Ghostbusters. The first set of figures was pretty good with this. We got the 4 GBs, 2 variants, Peck, Janine, Dana (Zuul) and Luis (Vinz) 10 humans and 5 ghosts (or 6 depending on how you view the terror dogs). We got Gozer, Slimer, Terror Dogs, Taxi ghost, and Library ghost. That's a good mix.

The next round of figures was a lot less balance. We got 4 more GBs with new heads and gray suits, Luis as a GB, then 2 variants with slime blowers. We got Janosz and then Vigo... and that was it for GB2. 7 variations on the GBs (including Luis), one human "villain" and the only "ghost" is a human. At least Gozer looked demonic, but Vigo is just a guy. No ghosts made an appearance, apparently for license reasons. Then we round out the fire house line with 4 more GBs, though in animated style, a cartoon Slimer and a cartoon StayPuft.

For this line to go on, they REALLY need to get those ghosts out there. In particular they need to get the movie ghosts IMO. ILM seems t hold the rights to the GB2 ghosts, but what keeps us from getting the Subway ghost? Also, I hope they worked out the issue with ILM so we also get the Theater ghost, jogger ghost, an updated Slimer from GB2 with the new smaller arms, the Scoleri Bros. These are huge holes in the line that I really hope they fix.

I think they hit the limit of how many GB variations they can do without giving us more ghosts. Sure, they can still do court room versions, commercial versions in the lab coats, and even casual clothes versions, but those will get old fast without more ghosts.
I wonder if they end up doing ATC figures to keep the license active until GB 3 comes out, Maybe extreme? I'd be willing to wager that ATC figures would be an easier sell then Extreme due to they're more familiar.
By grantofkings
I feel like if they stray from the original four at this point, it would be mixed waves. A character from each alternate property might help sell through from different eras of fandom.
By Wiggyof9
Having the rights to make Ghostbusters figures does not mean they automatically have the rights to all things Ghostbusters. Here is a quote from an Ask DST post from August 2017:

"DSTChuck: 1. We do not currently have the rights to action figures for the 2016 movie, so series 6-10 will focus on Ghostbusters 2 and The Real Ghostbusters. After that, time will tell. "

So, just because they got the rights to the first 2 movies and RGB does not mean they have the rights to EGB and ATC. This also does not automatically mean they have the rights to the video game or the 2020 movie or the comics, etc. It all depends on the wording of the license. Also, having the rights to to GB2 doesn't even give them the rights to the ghosts in GB2 because of the way that agreement was worked out. This is why we have not yet seen ghosts from the 2nd movie. So, unless they paid for the license and the next round of figures is planned to be based on the unmade the 2020 movie I do not see how the 2020 movie is the reason we have not seen plans for the next wave of figures.

What is more likely is that they were waiting to see how the RGB figures did. Series 9 came out only two months or so before Toy Fair. By the time sales figures and feedback came back to them, they had no time to plan and design another 5 waves. Heck, when waves 6 was announced at Toy Fair all they had was Vigo and a foam core mock up of the fire house and Janosz and that was with a good 6 months since wave 5. So, given the timing, Toy Fair was probably just too soon and we will see prototypes closer to SDCC, maybe even shown during fan fest with release a month or two later.

As for what I want the line to become, I say make it a GB universe line. Hasbro is doing that with Power Rangers and it gives each wave at least SOMETHING for everyone. People like me will buy all of them for the diorama, others will buy just the RGB stuff, some people will buy just the ghosts, etc. This ensures that no single wave will completely fail. It would be great to see RGB Janine with EGB Eduardo and GB2 Theater Ghost (PLEASE get those rights, DST...). If they expanded the license to include the comics that would be even better, but it seems they want to stick with a "realistic" style, even when doing cartoon stuff.

It would make perfect sense for them to get the rights to the 2009 game and do ghosts from that as well as the Rookie with upgraded pack, and maybe more variants of the main 4 with various packs in different stages of being upgraded. Give us Ray with Slime Blower mark 2, Winston with the Meson Collider, Egon with the Stasis Beam, and Venkman with the basic, but still upgraded, Boson Dart pack. Those would be variants I would gladly get, if we also got more ghosts.
By Wiggyof9
The wait is killing me. I cancelled my BBTS order and went with amazon since it said they would be shipped on 2/27. Turns out that was incorrect. It seems like I always get these figures a good month after most others.
By slaysghosts
I just got out of a Amazon chat. The figures were delayed. I pre-ordered on 02.08.19 w/ a delivery date of today. Not sure what happened to DST's shipment. So excited about these figures. Makes me childishly impatient.
By Wiggyof9
Getting mine tomorrow or monday, but i doubt thats normal. Hope mine comes like that though considering how easy they break.
By 910dohead
Wiggyof9 wrote: March 1st, 2019, 8:49 pm Getting mine tomorrow or monday, but i doubt thats normal. Hope mine comes like that though considering how easy they break.
Yeah, I went thru Diamond Select to get a broken one replaced and got a reply but then was ignored. Tried emailing back several times and ignored. So, this is a great surprise! I hope you get one like this too. You'll have to post after you get it whether you did or didn't.
Kingpin liked this
By Wiggyof9
Hopefully it comes tomorrow. I have yet to open the other marshmallow mess GBs because I was waiting on Egon.

In other news, GameStop.com the stranger things 4 GB costume 4 pack on clearance for 22 bucks so I snagged a set. I dont watch the show, but I like the idea of mixing them with the DST line. Should be here tomorrow as well.

I really wish series 10 would get here.... im considering putting the RGB figures with the NECA 80s cartoon set.
By elsoldao7
910dohead wrote:Anyone get their Marshmallow Mess Egon? If so, is this normal?

I've seen a couple like this already. I think it's on purpose. Mine should be here on Monday
By Wiggyof9
Well I guess I was wrong. Mine came today and also had 2. Now i just need 3 more to replace all the ones that broke.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]