Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By JurorNo.2
Animated Ghostbusters Movie Will Happen Before Another Live-Action Sequel
So basically just like last time. Cool. : )
Sav C, HunterCC liked this
By mrmichaelt
That's cool. I dug his straight to the point answer - animation is hard. lol.

So pretty much:
*Merch
*101 comic mini-series
*Ghostbusters VR

*Ecto-Force

2019/2020
*Animated movie
HunterCC liked this
By *NormalGamer*
I'm just glad that there will be at least more content coming to keep the GB franchise alive for awhile in the next few years; at least until something better comes around for the franchise, as long as that matters, i'm happy. ^_^
HunterCC liked this
By JA Slow
He's playing it safe by mostly discussing the numbers instead of placing blame on those responsible for letting this unnecessary remake happen, himself included. As far as an animated movie is concerned, that's what we should've had instead. At least we know it's easier to get Murray into a recording booth than onto a film set. Just get Maurice LaMarche to voice Egon.
pferreira1983, HunterCC liked this
By pferreira1983
JA Slow wrote:He's playing it safe by mostly discussing the numbers instead of placing blame on those responsible for letting this unnecessary remake happen, himself included. As far as an animated movie is concerned, that's what we should've had instead. At least we know it's easier to get Murray into a recording booth than onto a film set. Just get Maurice LaMarche to voice Egon.
An animated movie based off RGB would be terrific.
HunterCC liked this
By mrmichaelt
Aykroyd revealed a 1960s "Ghostbusters High" script he discussed with Jason first and 1 or 2 other concepts that will be made into movies before they revisit trying to make this prequel movie.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ay ... -1.4426686

CP: When did you first discuss this with Jason Reitman?

Aykroyd: Just within two years. Although I've written "Ghostbusters High," where they meet in New Jersey in 1969 and we're looking to do that as probably a glorified feature or pilot within the next maybe five years.... And it would lead to a television project and I thought of him immediately for that.

It's on his desk but that's years away from the current project. But it's a neat idea for a prequel. Imagine casting the three characters as teenagers!

CP: So this is a feature for the theatre?

Aykroyd: Way, way down, though we have other stuff after the Jason Reitman-helmed movie. We have at least one or two other concepts for the "Ghostbusters" and then we'll look at doing the prequel, which will be a perfect button on all we've done up to that point.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By *NormalGamer*
mrmichaelt wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:15 pm Aykroyd revealed a 1960s "Ghostbusters High" script he discussed with Jason first and 1 or 2 other concepts that will be made into movies before they revisit trying to make this prequel movie.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ay ... -1.4426686

CP: When did you first discuss this with Jason Reitman?

Aykroyd: Just within two years. Although I've written "Ghostbusters High," where they meet in New Jersey in 1969 and we're looking to do that as probably a glorified feature or pilot within the next maybe five years.... And it would lead to a television project and I thought of him immediately for that.

It's on his desk but that's years away from the current project. But it's a neat idea for a prequel. Imagine casting the three characters as teenagers!

CP: So this is a feature for the theatre?

Aykroyd: Way, way down, though we have other stuff after the Jason Reitman-helmed movie. We have at least one or two other concepts for the "Ghostbusters" and then we'll look at doing the prequel, which will be a perfect button on all we've done up to that point.
A prequel? Sounds very interesting. ^_^
By mrmichaelt
*NormalGamer* wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:36 pmA prequel? Sounds very interesting. ^_^
I find it interesting in that it revisits a small line that we didn't see in the final version of the first movie but know it existed in the 8/5/83 draft, 10/7/1983 draft, and Deleted Scene: Nobel Prize Aspirations, where Peter reminds them he introduced Ray and Egon to each other so that had to count for something.

"Yeah, but I introduced you guys. You would've never met if not for me. That's got to be worth something."
"Woah! I introduced you! If it weren't for me you would have never met! And that's gotta be worth something!"

This whole time I assumed they met in college. But now I realize it was open ended.

But the part I'm not interested in is this is before any of the standard equipment so there's that precipice of will it be meh like Ghost Hunters or could it be something great like It. But the problem is it seemed pretty clear Peter never saw a ghost or didn't really believe until he saw the Library ghost, imo. I'm on the fence if I like this idea better than the other prequel idea that was rumored around 2015 that had nothing to do with the original cast.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By Kingpin
You'll have to chuck me in with the "doesn't find this interesting camp". They've got no equipment beyond the P.K.E. Meter, and they don't even have proof of the existance of ghosts yet... That doesn't provide a lot of material for a prequel movie, or pilot for a series without some serious retconning of 1984's canon - It's one thing to do it as a fic (The collaborative fanfic Ghostbusters 101 from several years back), but I don't think it has enough merit for a film or TV production.
By Sav C
If it were a young Murray, Ramis, and Aykroyd, it could've been about them doing literally anything and it would've been awesome--ghosts or not. But with different, young actors, and no ghosts, I'm not too interested yet. But who knows? Time will tell.

Frankly, I'd really like to see a weekly Ghostbusters live-action television show. Half hour to an hour long episodes. Kind of like a comedic, ghost centric version of Grimm.
By Coover5
I think Ghostubters High has plenty of potential because X-Files, Supernatural, Kolchak, Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and American Horror Story all told interesting supernatural stories without proton packs or traps. And there is a lot going on in the spiritual/supernatural world outside of free floating full torso vaporous apparitions. Sasquatch, witches, voodoo, poltergeist, goblins, gremlins, hellhounds, mothman, werewolves, and vampires to name a few. I'm ready for it.
Sav C, *NormalGamer* liked this
By philmorgan81
You know if Dan wants to pitch a prequel. Maybe it should just be a prequel show that takes place from 1989 and onwards. That way they could fill in the gaps without retconning the film continuity.

Of course I don't feel that is nessecary either. I already love what the IDW comic series is doing and I would love for that to just keep going.

Now there is some serious potential for television. I have enjoyed the hundreds of Ghostbusters Fan Films and shorts. Those are so good that they have showed me that Ghostbusters would be a fun show very similar to NCIS or CSI where there are several shows all going on at once and they could crossover with each other. I would love for these to take place in the Nineties. I would love for the branch in New York to be referenced, but I would love for each show to focus on a different group of GBs. We have all said as much. Each show set in a different city with their own team. With Supernatural coming to an end it would be nice if a series of Ghostbusters shows could come out with a monster of he week like formula. Jason Reitmans new movie will give us an idea of what has become of the Ghostbusters Company and of where it is headed in future films.

Man wouldn't be a lark if all this came true? A Comic series focusing on the OGBs continuing their adventures with occasional crossovers with other properties, A Live action sequel, an animated movie, an animated series, and maybe a myriad of live action TV shows set in different cities? Lord knows what Ghost Corps is up to. I mean the Animated film was supposed to come out before another live action sequel and look where we are. Jason and Gil's script must be something if it pushed the other projects back. That's show business for you though. Again great time to be alive and I can't wait for what will be discussed after Fan Fest. :):):)
*NormalGamer*, Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Coover5 wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:54 pm I think Ghostubters High has plenty of potential because X-Files, Supernatural, Kolchak, Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and American Horror Story all told interesting supernatural stories without proton packs or traps.
Listing all of those shows kinda reinforces another feeling of mine on this project: there's already a considerable body of television programmes that've covered the paranormal angle over the past couple of decades, "Ghostbusters High" would really have to work to set itself aside from the rest... Sure, there's the fact it's Ghostbusters working to its advantage, but there's the bigger issue working against it:

With each of those shows Coover referenced, sooner or later, even the hardened sceptics amongst the cast realise there was something bigger out there in the unknown, each show's "Scully" couldn't remain the doubter.
But as established in Ghostbusters, prior to encountering Eleanor Twitty, the only experience any of them had reportedly had was the undersea mass sponge migration. You're not going to get much mileage from a paranormal-themed TV show if the young Ghostbusters don't actually encounter anything paranormal*.

*The only way this could work, is if it serves as a reboot of the franchise in general... Which seems a bit pointless when it's already getting relaunched next year.

I can understand the appeal of a Smallville/Gotham-style prequel, I just don't believe there's enough justification or wiggle room to do it for Ghostbusters.
It feels like Dan's effort to try keep himself a part of the development side of things, in light of it starting to leave him behind.
Kingpin wrote: May 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm You'll have to chuck me in with the "doesn't find this interesting camp". They've got no equipment beyond the P.K.E. Meter, and they don't even have proof of the existance of ghosts yet... That doesn't provide a lot of material for a prequel movie, or pilot for a series without some serious retconning of 1984's canon - It's one thing to do it as a fic (The collaborative fanfic Ghostbusters 101 from several years back), but I don't think it has enough merit for a film or TV production.

I also don't see this working as a film or series, but it could make for an interesting one-shot IDW story.
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote: May 18th, 2019, 4:22 am
With each of those shows Coover referenced, sooner or later, even the hardened sceptics amongst the cast realise there was something bigger out there in the unknown, each show's "Scully" couldn't remain the doubter.
But as established in Ghostbusters, prior to encountering Eleanor Twitty, the only experience any of them had reportedly had was the undersea mass sponge migration. You're not going to get much mileage from a paranormal-themed TV show if the young Ghostbusters don't actually encounter anything paranormal*.
Not to mention, Venkman was skeptical up until seeing Eleanor Twitty, it seemed.
Kingpin liked this
By SpaceBallz
Kingpin wrote: May 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm You'll have to chuck me in with the "doesn't find this interesting camp". They've got no equipment beyond the P.K.E. Meter, and they don't even have proof of the existance of ghosts yet... That doesn't provide a lot of material for a prequel movie, or pilot for a series without some serious retconning of 1984's canon - It's one thing to do it as a fic (The collaborative fanfic Ghostbusters 101 from several years back), but I don't think it has enough merit for a film or TV production.
My money is on "they become ghostbusters with retro-tech, Ivo Shandor is the big baddie of the series and he explains to his minions that there's a prophecy of four men that will defeat them (scene with an ancient cave drawing of the four men with lightening coming from their hands), at the end of the series they have to cross the streams and as a side-effect everybody loses their memory and they start ghost hunting all over again with no recollection of what happened."

If anything, you can rest assured that some kind of lame "prophecy" will be included since that seems to be the go-to subplot of a lot of tv shows dealing with the supernatural.
By mrmichaelt
Imo, if they really want to do a TV show prequel series, go with Tobin and use a mix of standard lore and GB created entities.
SpaceBallz wrote: May 18th, 2019, 5:38 pm If anything, you can rest assured that some kind of lame "prophecy" will be included since that seems to be the go-to subplot of a lot of tv shows dealing with the supernatural.
And every show on CW in addition to Supernatural.
By timeware
Good lord I hope CW doesn't get a hold of it. While I love supernatural I have a feeling CW will destroy the series.

But with Ghosthunters being off the air, and really Travel Channel just cranking out the paranormal stuff left and right I could see Ghostbusters high being picked up by that station or Scy-Fy.

Honestly though if it's taking place in the late 60's it's going to have to be a period piece series carrying the cast through college like Boy Meets World. Using a formula like that or saved by the bell would probably work. It would be interesting if Dan has the GB's training under an older group of Ghosthunters maybe as a call back to the old Ghostbusters TV series.

First season could have them going through all these investigations not yielding anything while focusing on Egon experimeinting with things. The end of the season could be a shot of the PKE meter turning on due to an entity hanging outside his bedroom window. If they did a Buffy the Vampire approach to this I could see it lasting a few years.
By Alphagaia
Sav C wrote: May 18th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Kingpin wrote: May 18th, 2019, 4:22 am
Not to mention, Venkman was skeptical up until seeing Eleanor Twitty, it seemed.
Easily solved: the running gag is he always just misses out on the action.

Also, they could know Eleanor Twitty as their librarian or something and they knew she might return. (Maybe differently explains: This is it, this is definitely it?)
Coover5, Sav C liked this
By Doctor Venkman
The issue with a prequel is that you can't have them actually see a ghost without breaking canon.

The Librarian is very clearly the first ghost they ever see, so I don't really think a prequel would be that interesting. Would I watch it? Sure. But I think they could focus their efforts elsewhere with much more productive results.
Kingpin, Sav C, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By Dr.D
Prequel isn't the best idea, I agree. But a Ghostbusters TV show could be the best next step for the series. Set a TV show in a different city, it's simply a different franchise managed by the guys in NY. Have one or two show up in the pilot, maybe pop up in the season finale. Connect the show to the movies, but let it have new characters.
By philmorgan81
I suppose a prequel could work if they went a bit crazy with it. Now I wouldn't really want to see this, but it could make a prequel more interesting. Now what works for DC may very well not work for Ghostbusters, but like the show Krypton somone from the future shows up to make sure that Superman is born. You could have some kind of Supernatural force that sees the Ghostbusters as a threat so severe that it tries to wipe them from existence. So you could have a character that is a Ghostbuster from the future that meets up with a young Peter, Ray and Egon and helps set them on the path to still become Ghostbusters. Like he could guide them to even building the equipment earlier.

That way you have the 3 young original Ghostbusters being mentored by a GB from the future. Another way to have some Ghostbusting in a show that predates the films. Heck if they went this route a young Winston could be brought in. That way the character doesn't get the shaft just because the story is a prequel. Again I really wouldn't want to see this. Not to mention something like that is a bit much even for Ghostbusters. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on May 21st, 2019, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, *NormalGamer* liked this
By mrmichaelt
Dr.D wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:56 am But a Ghostbusters TV show could be the best next step for the series. Set a TV show in a different city, it's simply a different franchise managed by the guys in NY. Have one or two show up in the pilot, maybe pop up in the season finale. Connect the show to the movies, but let it have new characters.
Yes, I'd like that. And it's essentially the idea they had for a Ghostbusters: The Video Game sequel 10 years ago.
Dr.D, *NormalGamer*, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By *NormalGamer*
Dr.D wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:56 am Prequel isn't the best idea, I agree. But a Ghostbusters TV show could be the best next step for the series. Set a TV show in a different city, it's simply a different franchise managed by the guys in NY. Have one or two show up in the pilot, maybe pop up in the season finale. Connect the show to the movies, but let it have new characters.

And this can be set in a time when the GB franchise is growing very large thanks to the rise of P.K.E. activity beyond the main NYC HQ with so many cases across the country that the NYC branch can't handle alone; so far, the Chicago GB branch in GB prime in the IDW comics is one good example of this and I can imagine many more popping up in several states in the future to tell it's own unique stories of busts.

An idea like this is long overdue.
mrmichaelt liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]