Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: June 21st, 2019, 12:09 am No worries, it makes sense when viewed from the void we were in during the first announcements.

That being said, I am noticing a trend that a few posters are saying a (debatable) thing about ATC, combined with a disclaimer that they don't want to start something.

Not sure if it's the intent, but it feels like wanting to take free potshots at it. ;-)
I can explain the intent to you since I hate GB16 and take potshots at it when I can, free or otherwise(what does even mean? Critcism is a potshot?).

When I make a remark about GB16 chances are it's going to be negative. That was my experience with the movie, negative. Because of the insanity this fandom endured surrounding the reboot, the sexism, the craziness...when I make a negative comment I feel like I have to clarify "hey this is my opinion. I don't want to reopen old wounds and start a massive fight that derails a thread". So that's where that's coming from, at least from my POV.
Alphagaia liked this
By Coover5
Well, no offense to the people who like ATC, and I mean no disrespect by this, but we can all agree Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States. But that's all I'm going to say about it I swear.

Anyone else going to watch Stranger Things season 3? I watched the first two seasons for fun but this time I'm sizing up Finn to see if he is really good enough for GB20. Either way, he's a key player now.
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz liked this
By robbritton
BatDan wrote: June 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm What they did to star wars is all that needs to be said. Call me a “hipster” but..i loved star wars before it was cool, when it was still a counter culture.
Ah yes, the famously obscure and underground Star Wars series.
Coover5, RichRyan1507, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: June 21st, 2019, 12:40 am
Alphagaia wrote: June 21st, 2019, 12:09 am No worries, it makes sense when viewed from the void we were in during the first announcements.

That being said, I am noticing a trend that a few posters are saying a (debatable) thing about ATC, combined with a disclaimer that they don't want to start something.

Not sure if it's the intent, but it feels like wanting to take free potshots at it. ;-)
I can explain the intent to you since I hate GB16 and take potshots at it when I can, free or otherwise(what does even mean? Critcism is a potshot?).
When Deadderik made this thread he wanted us all to skip remarking on how good or bad we think ATC is. Not because our opinions about it aren't allowed, but because this dance has been stuck on repeat for a few years now and we also have a dedicated forum for this. This is why I see the 'I don't want to start something, but' remarks as taking potshots in an area which was supposed to be a neutral zone.

I totally understand if you (and others) are not aware of the rule, so here it is, and I hope we can all respectfully abide to it.
By BatDan
robbritton wrote: June 21st, 2019, 3:53 am
BatDan wrote: June 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm What they did to star wars is all that needs to be said. Call me a “hipster” but..i loved star wars before it was cool, when it was still a counter culture.
Shut up.

You know what i meant.

Pretty damn sure back in 1995, the preppy girls and frat dudes werent sporting Vader Ts..

In fact, I distinctly remember it being considered highly “uncool” back then
By timeware
This is why I see the 'I don't want to start something, but' remarks as taking potshots in an area which was supposed to be a neutral zone.
Which, I'm guilty of using to avoid a political argument as per kingpins request. However it's the historian side of me that gets me in trouble most of the time. alpha were going to bitching about atc for the next decade good or bad. I don't think that's going to change.
Last edited by Kingpin on June 22nd, 2019, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added quote codes
By RichardLess
BatDan wrote: June 21st, 2019, 6:13 am
robbritton wrote: June 21st, 2019, 3:53 am

Shut up.

You know what i meant.

Pretty damn sure back in 1995, the preppy girls and frat dudes werent sporting Vader Ts..

In fact, I distinctly remember it being considered highly “uncool” back then
Dude, you just called Star Wars counter culture. Star Wars has never, ever, ever been Counter Culture. Not in 1995 or any other year since 1977.

You realize the preppy frat dudes and preppy girls are the minority right? Star Wars has always been cool. I was around in 1995 and it certainly wasn't uncool. What was "uncool" was being a nerd or geek. Which, screw that noise. But liking Star Wars? Man everyone was talking about the upcoming prequels and getting excited for the re releases. Maybe not the prom queen or whatever, but that doesn't make it uncool or counter culture.
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote: June 21st, 2019, 9:58 am
Alphagaia wrote: June 21st, 2019, 1:58 am

Bill Murray confirmed.
You, German.

I read your post before checking the Instagram link and my heart skipped a bit.

Who's going to give me that skip back?
Dutch, but close ;-)

Anyways, now we are even for that god awful non informative clickbait article you posted about that girl being excited for her roll in GB20.

Also, skipping a beat extends your life for one more beat. You're welcome!
Davideverona, Sav C liked this
By Slimered
*NormalGamer* wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Slimered wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm Sony will be really desperate for this film to be a success now Men In Black International flopped. I'm trying to think what successful franchises they have:

- James Bond
- Jumanji
- Spider-Man/Spider-Verse

I think that's it. They really need a fourth successful franchise right now that can keep returning, producing the money and for audiences to keep showing up for.
Sony Pictures lost the rights years ago for Bond since Spectre; Universal Pictures now owns international rights while MGM and Annapurna owns domestic distribution rights. No more sony involvement.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ly-1114810
Seriously? Who makes the decisions at Sony? James Bond was one of their biggest franchises!
By Slimered
RichardLess wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:13 pm
*NormalGamer* wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Sony lost the rights months ago for Bond; Universal Pictures now owns international rights while MGM and Annapurna owns domestic distribution rights.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ly-1114810
Well they also have Venom and all the offshoots from Spider-Man, Venom, crappy though it was, was a huge hit for them.
Sony's real problem is lack of original IP. They have nothing. Ghostbusters is really it for them. The problem with MiB isn't just its low gross, the problem is that they took Spielberg as producer when they made the first one. He gets first dollar gross points. Same with Will Smith. So they elimated Will Smith but Spielberg still gets his share. No matter if they break even or lose money. First dollar gross deals are dangerous. Sony needs IP and badly. They've shown they can't even properly manage their golden goose: Spider-Man. Kevin Feige had to come in and show them how it's done. Then there's Ghostbusters. Sony couldn't even greenlit a 3rd GB movie for YEARS until everyone was onboard and gave the OK. The 4 main players have(or had) Veto rights. I think Sony bought them out thought during the forming of Ghostcorp. Then after years of teasing a sequel, before Harold Ramis body is cold they annouce a reboot that no one wanted. But let's not open that wound..

Look at what other studios have:
Universal for example has the Fast Furious franchise, Jurrasic Park/World, they also have the animated Minions and that whole animation studio. They have Jaws, The Mummy/ Frankenstein all those monster movies. They have Back to the Future
Warner's has Harry Potter and all the DC stuff, plus The Matrix and waay more
Disney has...everything. Disney has everything.
Paramount has Transformers, GI:Joe, Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Tomb Raider etc..

Sony is waaay behind. It wouldn't surprise me if they are sold off in the next 5-10 years. A major conglomerate like...I don't know, maybe Disney? Maybe Netflix or Facebook? They just can't survive like they have.
At the moment Jumanji and the Spider-Man properties are keeping them afloat. Ghostbusters still has something to prove, and Men In Black they messed up by not bringing back Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

What Sony need is to buy some new rights to film adaptations of really popular pre-existing IPs. I would opt for the film rights to Stranger Things and Black Mirror. Turn those Netflix properties into theatrical releases and you'd make a ton of money.
By 80sguy
Slimered wrote: June 21st, 2019, 4:38 pmAt the moment Jumanji and the Spider-Man properties are keeping them afloat. Ghostbusters still has something to prove, and Men In Black they messed up by not bringing back Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
Lack of Jones and Smith wasn't the problem. The poorly developed story was. Smith and Jones might not have wanted to come back either, and there's only so much of these films Jones can do before he calls it quits. They wanted to keep the franchise going, getting new leads is good way to do that.
Slimered wrote: June 21st, 2019, 4:38 pmWhat Sony need is to buy some new rights to film adaptations of really popular pre-existing IPs. I would opt for the film rights to Stranger Things and Black Mirror. Turn those Netflix properties into theatrical releases and you'd make a ton of money.
There's no gaurauntee that would make them a ton of money. Plus, Netflix actually has to offer film rights to do that. Sony can offer, but that doesn't mean they'll budge. If Netflix wanted a film, they'd make it themselves and release it on their platform. They'd still hold all the rights and get all the money.
By EctoKid_97
Anyone know the release date? I can't wait. I'm going to see advance screenings (obviously) and go as a ghostbuster (Because i'm a full time nerd)
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 1:16 am
EctoKid_97 wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:28 pm Anyone know the release date? I can't wait. I'm going to see advance screenings (obviously) and go as a ghostbuster (Because i'm a full time nerd)
July 10th, 2020.
Stop.
Everytime someone mentions that date I need to change my pants.
Davideverona liked this
By Sav C
Woulda been something if Bill had actually confirmed today, since today was my graduation day! Watch Bill is in GBIII, but instead of reprising Venkman, he reprises Spackler and spends the movie chasing prairie dogs across the Canadian shield while Ernie and Dan bust some ghosts, lol...
You fellows are the best.
Alphagaia, robbritton, SSJmole and 1 others liked this
By RichardLess
RichRyan1507 wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am The little girl with a proton pack thing still makes me a but uneasy, but I have faith!
I actually think it strikes a beautiful, empowering image.

In my mind at least.

"I ain't afraid of no Ghost"- 12 year old girl.
Dr.D, Sav C liked this

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]