Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
philmorgan81 wrote: June 24th, 2019, 11:53 pm Yeah if I had to hazard a guess I would say he is a bigger fan of the movies. However it seems he is already incorporating some aspect of The Real Ghostbusters into this movie. I mean he said that he wanted to scare kids in this movie. He asked Mckenna Grace if she wanted to be a Ghostbuster when he called to tell her she had landed the role. Kind of has a JR Ghostbusters vibe to it. The big difference being that these are not the same JR Ghostbusters from the cartoon and that it is likely that these kids will actually be using some Ghost Busting equipment instead of launching toilet plungers and pumpkins at ghosts from their Ecto JR dune buggy. At least I hope to god we won’t be seeing that. ;)

Oh hey it is really easy to consider the cartoon canon. I mean if you start with Citizen Ghost it plays out as perfect a sequel you can get. Again thanks to the comics now all continuities are canon. All the worlds exist maybe a fraction of a decimal point apart from each other, but they have all been acknowledged. I feel the same way about the comics as I do the events of the 2009 video game. If the movie doesn’t go out of it’s way to ignore the events of the Game and Comics it is easy to just believe that they happened. :):):)
Oh yeah I also consider the game sorta the movie we never got. One aspect of the game that I feel should have caught on more was the multiplayer. I thought it was actually super fun to team up and catch ghosts and burn crap to the ground. LOL!
By Kingpin
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: June 24th, 2019, 7:49 pm What I would really, really, love would be for the movie to work in at least some element from The Real Ghostbusters.
I'd rather not after how Ghostbusters II was made more kid-friendly to appeal to Real Ghostbusters fans. I'll always be a big fan of RGB, but the movies and the cartoons work well enough as separate continuities.

I was 13 in 1999, Ghostbusters was starting to simmer away on the background as more "grown up" things took my attention. Fortunately I grew out of that phase. :)
robbritton, *NormalGamer*, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By Davideverona
I was 13 in 1996.
Ghostbusters had taken a backseat in my mind. I was more into Animaniacs, Freakazoid, the Jim Carrey Phenomenon and girls.

Then Extreme Ghostbusters came along, with my first internet provider and I found GbProps and Proton Charging.
Dreams of making my own proton pack started to surface, along with the first GB3 rumors.
From that point onwards I never again left Ghostbusters leave my mind and heart.

Now I'm married with a woman who is a saint and a 3 years old daughter who wants to see the 1984 Slimer capture scene repeatedly.
Sav C, SpaceBallz, back liked this
By *NormalGamer*
Kingpin wrote: June 25th, 2019, 11:55 am
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: June 24th, 2019, 7:49 pm What I would really, really, love would be for the movie to work in at least some element from The Real Ghostbusters.
I'd rather not after how Ghostbusters II was made more kid-friendly to appeal to Real Ghostbusters fans. I'll always be a big fan of RGB, but the movies and the cartoons work well enough as separate continuities.

I was 13 in 1999, Ghostbusters was starting to simmer away on the background as more "grown up" things took my attention. Fortunately I grew out of that phase. :)
@ *referring to bold*

So far, the IDW comics did a great job of that already.

Can't wait to see the GB lore get expanded on again in the comics once GB 2020 releases next year. ^_^
By Slimered
My response to those of you who have been complaining behind my backs to forum admin about me posting regarding whether things are hints to the original cast returning:

By Kingpin
Seeing as we're airing all the laundry out in the open, I'll go ahead and make this a tête-à-tête.

The point is that after the first time you speculated that Dan, Bill, Ernie .etc are going to be involved, you went on to restate that belief ad nauseum over almost every new bit of info we find out about the film, even when there's no meat to some of the things you've speculated are "proof".

On top of that, most of us had already considered whether one, some or all of the original cast would be returning... You're no longer preaching to the choir, so much as boring them to death with the same hymn.

Sure, it's a strong possibility at least two of the surviving Ghostbusters' actors, and some of the secondary cast may return, but it's not a certainty. You're no more "in the know" than any of the rest of us, and you've already made your point ages ago... Give it a rest, seeing as it contributes nothing new to the discussion or speculation. If you're bored, draw some fan art, write a fic, or play some video games... That's surely got to be better than grinding the gears of the other forum members.

-As an asside, there wasn't any need for anyone to complain "behind your back", I've seen the public posts of frustration at your one-track presumptions.

And for the record, users are perfectly entitled to message a mod, or report any appropriate posts, if they feel a fellow user is proving more disruptive than a contributor.

Chances are you may be right, but the way you've been going about things nobody is going to congratulate you for being right because your approach has been a bit like saying it'll be 6-'o'-clock at 5:30.

You've said your piece, now why not sit back and see what Jason's got up his sleeve next? He and Sony clearly have a plan about the marketing release (which is probably in-part a response to how almost too much material was released for Answer The Call - there'd been so many clips, trailers and behind the scenes dailies... We had a decent idea of the film's plot just from the material released by Paul Feig and Sony's marketing), why not just employ a bit of trust and patience in it?
We've waited 30 years for another outing in this universe... What's waiting a little longer?

If you want to discuss this any further, you can reach me by private message.
Dr.D, RichRyan1507, Alphagaia and 3 others liked this
By RichardLess
Slimered wrote: June 25th, 2019, 3:50 pm My response to those of you who have been complaining behind my backs to forum admin about me posting regarding whether things are hints to the original cast returning:

Wait. Isn't that what thus forum is for?

This is suppose to be a fun time discussing the new movie. I'm no Mod but Slimered is just hoping for something, I mean did he/she go overboard somewhere? I went thru last couple of pages and didn't find much. Just some honest to goodness speculation/asking. Why are we singling him/her out? I've seen a lot of that kind of stuff on this forum.

Not trying to step on any toes, it's just. This is exciting, right? This forum has been a pretty postive place, especially when considering how the GB16 era was. Constant fighting and name calling, some of which I was directly involved with. Let's keep the postive vibes flowing.
Slimered liked this
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 4:49 pmNot trying to step on any toes
You kinda are, but I'm used to you by this point, Richard. :)
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 4:49 pmWait. Isn't that what thus forum is for?
It is, but if you had someone telephoning you every week to say he thought Marvel were going to announce another movie based on one of their comic franchises, you'd get a little tired of him saying it, wouldn't you? It's both obvious and doesn't need to be said more than once.

And there's a very thin line between idle speculation and being a stuck record.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By Sav C
Thanks for all the grad wishes, everyone! I'm going into the private sector for the summer, but will return for college in the fall I think.

13, let's see. 2015ish. Both Ghostbusters movies would've been my top two favorites, although I wouldn't have been active on this site (or any online social platform). I was still very large on video making and writing at the time (I had a script going for Vince Vaughn that never got past the first act, as well as a script about the supernatural (and golf) that I was hoping Bill would be in). Beyond that, I was interested in baseball, and, well, girls. I had a strong belief in the paranormal, and was convinced my house was haunted. I spent a ton of time logging ghost sightings and attempting to prove that ghosts were real. In other words, I was a whackadoodle, haha.

@RichardLess Slimered has a penchant for declaring that Bill, Dan, and Ernie are officially returning for 2020. Doesn't bother me much, although at times it can be superfluous. As far as the singling out goes, dare I say that it may be somewhat aided by herd mentality?
Last edited by Sav C on June 25th, 2019, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote: June 25th, 2019, 5:12 pm
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 4:49 pmNot trying to step on any toes
You kinda are, but I'm used to you by this point, Richard. :)
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 4:49 pmWait. Isn't that what thus forum is for?
It is, but if you had someone telephoning you every week to say he thought Marvel were going to announce another movie based on one of their comic franchises, you'd get a little tired of him saying it, wouldn't you? It's both obvious and doesn't need to be said more than once.

And there's a very thin line between idle speculation and being a stuck record.

Yeah you make a good point. Fair enough.
By timeware
slimered has a history of being disruptive to be disruptive. I would chalk it up to herd mentality but kingpin has a valid point about being stuck on repeat. plus they know they are in the wrong when they are trying to create some kind of grand conspiracy against them. I mean how many dislikes and warnings have you received? again I think Slimered has potential here, and I'm no mod but at some point you have to get off the thin ice.
Dr.D, RichRyan1507, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: June 25th, 2019, 6:07 pm slimered has a history of being disruptive to be disruptive. I would chalk it up to herd mentality but kingpin has a valid point about being stuck on repeat. plus they know they are in the wrong when they are trying to create some kind of grand conspiracy against them. I mean how many dislikes and warnings have you received? again I think Slimered has potential here, and I'm no mod but at some point you have to get off the thin ice.
Oh ok. I didn't know about any of that. Like I said, I just went back a few pages and saw an excited fan.
i should've assumed Kingpin knows what he's doing. He's been more than fair in the past with other users, including me.

Honestly, I've always thought GB2 was quite a bit darker than the first film and definitely darker than the show but, oddly enough, I still think the show has some pretty creepy elements in it for a cartoon. Out of curiosity, what is it you consider to be more kid friendly in GB2?
Wafflerobot liked this
By Alphagaia
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: June 25th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Honestly, I've always thought GB2 was quite a bit darker than the first film and definitely darker than the show but, oddly enough, I still think the show has some pretty creepy elements in it for a cartoon. Out of curiosity, what is it you consider to be more kid friendly in GB2?
The baby.
Slimer being shoehorned in it, without being relevant to the plot.
Focus on slime as a plotdevice.
Janine's makeover to appeal more to RGB fans.
'We all have to be nice to each other' leitmotiv.
Smoking and cursing (almost) out of the movie.

Still liked the movie, but the tone was all over the place. Severed heads one minute and look how cute Bill with the Baby is the next. The movie struggled a bit with it's identity.
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: June 25th, 2019, 9:02 pm

The baby.

Still liked the movie, but the tone was all over the place. Severed heads one minute and look how cute Bill with the Baby is the next.
Having a baby doesn't automatically make something more kid friendly. I find GB2 much more scary than the first film. I mean, Vigo is creeeepy. The Slime is creepy. The bathtub scene? The scene where slime tries to grab Ray's leg? The subway scene?

Now, that being said..there was a major aesthetic change from GB1 and the film undeniably has less smoking and swearing. But that doesn't mean it isn't *darker*. Just that it's less adult oriented. There are plenty of dark kids movies. I think GB2 is tonally consistent. I don't think having "slime" makes it more of a kids movie either, since the slime is scary.

As a kid, GB2 freaked me out waaay more than GB1. When Vigo's face does that twisty photoshop effect after he's "back in the painting" oooohhhh man that got me as a kid. The animal lionish noises he makes? Then his final form? Those lips? Nightmare fuel.

Now, GB2 is not as good as GB1 but I find it darker. Which is weird because at the same time it is taking kids into consideration. I don't think it's an accident that the Subway Scene with the depcapited heads was added during reshoots and Slimer was mostly taken out. I think they were worried about the "kid friendly" thing. They had a delicate balancing act to make. I think they did just fine all things considered.
Sav C, Wafflerobot liked this
By Davideverona
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm

The baby.

Still liked the movie, but the tone was all over the place. Severed heads one minute and look how cute Bill with the Baby is the next.
Having a baby doesn't automatically make something more kid friendly. I find GB2 much more scary than the first film. I mean, Vigo is creeeepy. The Slime is creepy. The bathtub scene? The scene where slime tries to grab Ray's leg? The subway scene?

Now, that being said..there was a major aesthetic change from GB1 and the film undeniably has less smoking and swearing. But that doesn't mean it isn't *darker*. Just that it's less adult oriented. There are plenty of dark kids movies. I think GB2 is tonally consistent. I don't think having "slime" makes it more of a kids movie either, since the slime is scary.

As a kid, GB2 freaked me out waaay more than GB1. When Vigo's face does that twisty photoshop effect after he's "back in the painting" oooohhhh man that got me as a kid. The animal lionish noises he makes? Then his final form? Those lips? Nightmare fuel.

Now, GB2 is not as good as GB1 but I find it darker. Which is weird because at the same time it is taking kids into consideration. I don't think it's an accident that the Subway Scene with the depcapited heads was added during reshoots and Slimer was mostly taken out. I think they were worried about the "kid friendly" thing. They had a delicate balancing act to make. I think they did just fine all things considered.
Richard, you teased a big GB20 surprise coming in July. Is it still on? Will it be at SDCC? PS you have a PM from me.

The baby.

Still liked the movie, but the tone was all over the place. Severed heads one minute and look how cute Bill with the Baby is the next. The movie struggled a bit with it's identity.
I do agree that the second film wasn't as sure of itself as the first but I've just always thought that Bill Murray just didn't really have his heart in it. Otherwise, I think it is decidedly darker than the first. I know it has gotten a lot of hate over the years but I actually still really enjoy it.
By Alphagaia
I wouldn't go as far as hate, as I certainly don't hate the movie. It's nit as great as the first, has a few faults, but I certainly enjoyed watching it.

Regarding the difference between kid-friendly and dark, I feel Monster House is a darker movie then GB2, because it shows an actual death. I agree a kidmovie can be dark though, but it's still a kids movie. Now, I wouldn't go as far as call GB2 a kids movie, but it's certainly a kids friendlier movie.

Just realized they removed all the sex references as well.
By RichardLess
Davideverona wrote: June 25th, 2019, 9:30 pm
RichardLess wrote: June 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Richard, you teased a big GB20 surprise coming in July. Is it still on? Will it be at SDCC? PS you have a PM from me.
I've said all I'm going to say and I've said more than I should've said. I won't respond to any private messages(i've received a few) concerning what I may or may not be aware of.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Coover5
Alphagaia wrote: June 25th, 2019, 10:40 pm Just realized they removed all the sex references as well.
Except for the quick reference to Egon sleeping with the slime and what Janine and Louis were doing or about to do on Venkman's couch when interrupted by Dana. There's also Venkman's line going into Ray's Occult Books "Ah, perhaps you could help me. I am looking for a love potion aerosol that I could spray on a certain Penthouse pet to obtain her total submission." Plus, the fact that Janosz is obsessed with Dana to the point of bartering for her like a prize with Vigo. And up in the air is Elaine's comment about going back to an alien's hotel room.
By Coover5

Hard to believe we're talking about omitting smoking so a story is safe for kids when there was a time Grimm's Fairy Tales were bedtime stories featuring chopping one's way out of a crossdressing wolf's stomach with an ax.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: June 26th, 2019, 12:23 am You are totally right. I should have said most, and that might even be stretching it!
Also, Egon mentions that women are really into his epididymis(which is NOT skin, that's epidermis. I've seen that mistake made quite often). For those that aren't aware, I'll leave it to you to find out what an epididymis is cause it's most definitely NSFW. I love that even Venkman has to think for a beat about what Egon means lol.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By robbritton
Dr.D wrote: June 25th, 2019, 4:37 pm This thread is like some kind of weird internet version of Waiting for Godot.
Are You A Godot?
Dr.D, Troy liked this
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: June 26th, 2019, 3:41 am
Alphagaia wrote: June 26th, 2019, 12:23 am You are totally right. I should have said most, and that might even be stretching it!
Also, Egon mentions that women are really into his epididymis(which is NOT skin, that's epidermis. I've seen that mistake made quite often). For those that aren't aware, I'll leave it to you to find out what an epididymis is cause it's most definitely NSFW. I love that even Venkman has to think for a beat about what Egon means lol.
I'm not going to Google this, but I assume your nickname has something to do with it.

(That's a play on dickless, right? Not trying to offend!)

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]