That room with the large glass panel? I was informed that's the Dispatch office... I'm going to need more convincing to believe that was the captain's quarters.

Nobody said that the pole from the third floor was anywhere near the alarm. I said that the removed pole that had been near the fireplace in the Crew Lounge was the one that descended near the alarm. The pole next to the arcade machines descends on the opposite side of the station to the alarm, next to the first set of wooden lockers (not the ones Ray, Peter and Egon use).
Daniel said that was the Captain's quarters. He said that there were two Captains there and that once the chief's quarters was moved the two would swap out using the 3rd floor. Like I pointed out though, the pole next to the fireplace in the lounge doesn't come out next to the alarm, it's farther forward and you can see it's hole at the time I referenced in my last post.
Okay, I think I can see where we're crossing wires.

Two firepoles access the Crew Den. One that only descends from the Third Floor, and a second which ascends from the Engine Bay.

The one at 4:00 is not the one I'm talking about, which lands not too far from the alarm. The one I've been referring to is the now-sealed firepole, just glimpsed at 5:05 in Part 3.
Kingpin wrote:There's only one pole in the Captain's Quarters (which were on the third floor) and only ran down to the second floor (into the Crew Lounge/Den), the other five connect the second floor to the first. If I understand what you mean by "the first one on the left", that particular one was accessed via the Crew Quarters, and was the one nearest the arcade machines. The firepole near the Fireplace in the Crew Den is the one that descended near the Alarm Box, where the bell would be found.
It actually comes down near the front door, the one that came down near the alarm box is in the corner oposite of where the StarGazer pinball machine is.
I've just seen the photos Borzou took of the day... some fantastic stuff, only a few small things left to get a better look at.

Did anyone happen to grab any shots of the bedroom and adjoining bathroom at the front of the third floor? This is pretty much the only room I so far haven't seen a direct shot of.
Kingpin wrote:I've just seen the photos Borzou took of the day... some fantastic stuff, only a few small things left to get a better look at.

Did anyone happen to grab any shots of the bedroom and adjoining bathroom at the front of the third floor? This is pretty much the only room I so far haven't seen a direct shot of.

Any chance of those photos being posted on here? The ones that have already been posted are great, but I'd really like to see the others if possible.
Venkman1912 wrote:Any chance of those photos being posted on here? The ones that have already been posted are great, but I'd really like to see the others if possible.
I'm sure Borz wouldn't have any objection, but I'll consult him first before I post them.
I have no objections to the pictures being distributed now that Ben has them. The only reason I didn't make the rapidshare links available is so Ben would be allowed to download it. Rapidshare apparently allows 10 downloads per file uploaded. Considering it was a pain in the ass to get the pictures uploaded, I didn't want people using up the download limit.

AJ said something about uploading the pictures at a later time, so we'll see how that plays out.

Also, I took a limited amount of pictures because I was racing against my battery life to snap as many pictures as I could. So pictures of the 3rd floor (including the bedroom) are missing from my collection.

If I ever get the chance, I want to return with a better camera and spend the entire day taking quality pictures of the building.

Finally, I would like to thank Dougger for sticking around and helping me snap pictures. My pictures are now worth more money now. :D
borzou wrote:If I ever get the chance, I want to return with a better camera and spend the entire day taking quality pictures of the building.
There's certainly scope for that if you're free around the time Daniel was hoping to open the place up for it's centennial, and/or for the next Downtown Community Unity Festival.

I'd just like to publically thank Borz for taking the time to grab them, it's a great archieve for the fans, and will be of immense use when coupled with Vince's video in finally defining the layout of the building.

The end result will be Isometric illustrations of LA23, rendered in 3D. :) Possibly a video walkthrough as well.
I was looking through the LA Fire website and apparently there was a library on the second floor with "doors of leaded glass." Does anybody know exactly where on the second floor this was? Looking through the videos, I couldnt find anything that matches that description
Kingpin wrote:I suppose that account may refer to the room at the very front of the station, what I've often referred to as the "crew den", the one with the fireplace and the firepole that connects to the final floor of the Station.
This is a confusing building. I always thought that was the Captains Quarters (until I looked at the LA Fire website and saw differently)
Placed another call in to the city controller yesterday on an update for the next maintenance. That is when we can get access. So we will see what happens.
Let me know. I'd love to fly in and take another peek at the firehouse.
o0Ecto1A0o wrote:Sure Borzou, I will post if and when they could be letting people back in. If I ever hear back from the guy.
Thanks!
I reached out to a bunch of the members in this thread about this individually, but I'm also bumping this thread in case anyone has any info or can help!

Does anyone have any info or contacts for arranging a viewing of the fire station no 23? I'm going to be visiting LA in a few weeks and I really want to see the space, even though it seems unlikely. Every place that I've reached out to so far has resulted in a dead end and I've even been told by one that it's been red tagged for safety hazards.

Otherwise, were the videos in this thread ever re-uploaded anywhere? I saw them years ago but the links are dead and I'd love to watch them again, especially if I'm unable to view the station in person.
Couture wrote: October 14th, 2019, 2:46 pmDoes anyone have any info or contacts for arranging a viewing of the fire station no 23? I'm going to be visiting LA in a few weeks and I really want to see the space, even though it seems unlikely.
Unfortunately the person who was squatting in LA23, the "caretaker" was evicted a few years ago now. The building went into possession of the city of Los Angeles, who closed it up and started it on the road to conversion into a community centre.

Work had started on LA23's revitalisation, and a few digital mockups of the proposed conversion appeared last November, however the refurbishment appears to be running typically slow for LA23's, which has been slated to be made into a community centre for over a decade.

You could try reach out to the SoCal Ghostbusters to see if they still have a copy available to watch. Beyond that, there is a small gallery of photos here: Link
Kingpin wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:42 pm Unfortunately the person who was squatting in LA23, the "caretaker" was evicted a few years ago now. The building went into possession of the city of Los Angeles, who closed it up and started it on the road to conversion into a community centre.
Thanks for the info. Is this the supposed artist that lived and claimed to own the building? I didn't hear about him actually being a squatter and being evicted. Is there a story here? I had heard about the community center conversion, though I wasn't sure how much if any renovation has actually happened for it, or if it was still just a proposal.

I have a couple feelers still out with the city to see if a viewing is still a possibility, but at worst I plan to swing by and take a quick look at the exterior since I'll already be heading downtown. I've heard that some have come by while work was being done in the building and were allowed to take a quick peek in. I'm not holding my breath though.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]