Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
TF/GB #5

Main Story
This Post Contains Spoilers
Easter Eggs so far
This Post Contains Spoilers
*NormalGamer* liked this
So............ what’s this art gonna be used for?
https://twitter.com/tomwaltz/status/118 ... 88920320?s
My gut reaction to those is adaptions of GB1, GB2 and GBTVG as refreshers in the run up to the 2020 release (only cos Mooglie is holding up one finger, implying there may be others).

I mean, that’d be amazing, obviously, but it’s kind of playing to the choir to some degree.

The draw would be deleted scenes, as mrmichaelt mentions...

Ooh I love a bit of baseless speculation!
Well, 99% percent baseless. Erik did mention before that adaptations for the 2 movies and game came up before.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 8601405440
https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Fi ... 202018.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, Erik squashed that theory on Ghostheads United with a "not exactly" - so perhaps an resolved case from that point in time or a solved case that turned out to be something bigger...
robbritton liked this
Erik Burnham will be doing an interview on Sunday at 9 pm EST on What We Do in the Firehouse. Call in with a question at (515) 605-9774.
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/whatwedoi ... 0LS5vU0SJE
-07:07-07:26: The only idea that was really shot down by Sony/Ghost Corps was around the time of the 2016 movie. At the time, an idea that was pitched was also going to be in the movie so it was shot down. It wound up not being in the movie's final cut
-07:35-07:52: The Louvre was initially going to also be bleeding blood but right before the printing deadline, there was a mass shooting in France. Sony/Ghost Corps asked for the blood to be removed
-1:08:00-1:08:-7: A sequel to Transformers/Ghostbusters has been talked about. The teaser line at the end of Issue #5 is in part meant to try and nudge Hasbro to agree to a sequel.

EDIT: Got around to figuring out an easter egg from TF/GB #3. Those 2 women who tagged Optimus with graffiti? Gender-flipped versions of Furg and one of the members of his Dancitron Gang in the episode "Auto-Bop"
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Furg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:DancitronGang.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Auto-Bop
mrmichaelt wrote: October 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm September sales are in and TF/GB #4 did 10,231 units in sales down from #3 which did 10, 545.
https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomics ... 19-09.html
Not bad. Another small dip, but looks like the Transformers name is keeping it strong with the GB's.
mrmichaelt liked this
groschopf wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 6:54 am Kind of has "primer" for the uninitiated going to see a certain film in 2020 written all over it, doesn't it?
It does. Though I'm thinking this latest image might tipped it off. In the middle is "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary" - a real book that's a collection of short stories. Perhaps this mini-series is similar and that's why Dan slipped it in there. Like each issue is a one-shot and gives each GB a focus and maybe it's set at different points, i.e. during GB1 or GB2. This week, January solicits do come out so if it starts that month, we'll know more soon and/or a press release article should be coming soon as well.
^Now that you mention it, Studio 84 is rather specific. A now defunct 80s nightclub in West Harlem/Washington Heights resurrected as El Morocco. Although I have no clue if 84 used the same logo design as Studio 54 OR if Studio 84 is a stand-in for Studio 54 something that's been done in these comics with certain locations.

Erik also noted in addition to Red Sonja, he's got another title releasing in January. Make of that what you will.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 5368879105
Last edited by mrmichaelt on October 22nd, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer* liked this
Whoo! Coming back here after a long time! (No, I didn't stay away on purpose, life happened).

Anyway, yes, I liked the Transformers crossover, especially enjoyed seeing Janine having her own stash of Proton Grenades, her interactions with Prime and Ectotron, her coming up with the latter's name, Egon rowing up the Nile about the existence of Cybertron, Starscream meeting Green Ghost and the fact that Megatron is such a jerk he blames Optimus for leaving the others behind when he should be blaming Screamer for causing Gozer to destroy Cybertron.

And yes, I'm excited about Year One. Though also, not really cos I don't know what to think about the possibility of seeing Janine's heart get shattered slowly.
By Kingpin
Looks like you guys are on the money, Ghostbusters: Year One seems to be an anthology of stories set around the first movie. Kinda a shame they aren't going for an adaptation, but still, I'm looking forward to this.

Though I am cringing at that incorrect title font popping up again.
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:47 am Looks like you guys are on the money, Ghostbusters: Year One seems to be an anthology of stories set around the first movie. Kinda a shame they aren't going for an adaptation, but still, I'm looking forward to this.

I like the anthology story concept! Halloween wanted to be that kinda thing when 3 came out, but peeps were dumb.

Also yes, that wannabe font should be replaced. I really hope someone builds a font out of all the scanned lettering from everything they can come across. Columbia Archives needs to spill the beans!
*NormalGamer* liked this
Ghostytheghost wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 9:05 am
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:47 am Looks like you guys are on the money, Ghostbusters: Year One seems to be an anthology of stories set around the first movie. Kinda a shame they aren't going for an adaptation, but still, I'm looking forward to this.

I like the anthology story concept! Halloween wanted to be that kinda thing when 3 came out, but peeps were dumb.

Also yes, that wannabe font should be replaced. I really hope someone builds a font out of all the scanned lettering from everything they can come across. Columbia Archives needs to spill the beans!
@ *referring to bold*

Oh, Halloween III: Season of the Witch; very, very underrated horror movie. Definitely remember that "Silver Shamrock" Jingle.

And yes, even if GB: YEAR ONE isn't an adaption of the 1984 classic, I wouldn't mind the anthology concept, as well, as long as we're getting more GB stories and fresh lore. ^_^
This? This I like! Going back to the simplicity* of where they started out. No cross dimensional shenanigans, no globe hopping, just the core four and smaller busts. Bring it! (Don't kill me! I REALLY REALLY enjoyed the ongoing from the get-go! I just can't fathom how they could up the ante any more than they have!)

*as simple as catching ghosts and monsters with beams of radiation and holding them in a box is...
groschopf, mrmichaelt liked this
More
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1187063892314210304

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1187100550044667904

I suppose a good example would be Issue #8 from Volume 1 of the ongoing. The others were in it, but it was predominately an Egon story. This could be interesting to see them fill in more points like what they did with where Winston was during the Scoleri Brothers battle in the 2017 annual. Maybe with a hypothetical Winston story set during 1984, we could see what he meant by seeing shit that turns you white. lol.

It could kinda neat if they expand some of the busts in the montage like Egon walking out of the building saying he got it. Or reveal how they initially trapped the Zombie Taxi Driver or Subway Ghost. Or totally new stories are welcome.

Like zeta, I'm glad Tom was not fibbing and this next one is a non-crossover. And no AU Ghostbusters and no inter-franchise crossovers. I don't hate them but it felt it was time to head back to basics. Just busts. Like the 35th Anniversary one-shot. I think I'm gonna eat these stories up. I guess the only downside is the Ghostbusters' expanded support staff's absence will just have to be a little longer, heh heh.
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:47 am Though I am cringing at that incorrect title font popping up again.
I'm kinda lost. Is there some sort of history of the wrong font being used? (you're talking about the design of "Year One" right?)
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:00 pmI'm kinda lost. Is there some sort of history of the wrong font being used? (you're talking about the design of "Year One" right?)
With the comics, I think it first appeared with the Crossing Over arc, the team utilised a popular font that's circulated the community, which has been used by [/i]so[/i] franchise teams for their banners and fanfilm posters, that it's become the go-to font for Ghostbusters title wording, even though it differs drastically from the typeset used on the movie poster and titles of the original film.

It's so prevailent, it's showing up on official products, the Battle For New York ride out in Dubai and even the in-game titles of Ghostbusters: The Video Game are two notable examples, and Year One will be another.

The biggest giveaway are the serifs, note the curve on the inside of the E where the cross stroke meets the upward stroke. Also not the shape of the R, and the sharp points on the serifs:

Another example of the incorrect font (this design, with the standard logo, has appeared on numerous T-shirts of late:

By groschopf
It's tricky duplicating that font. I did it a couple of years ago for the Portland, OR group and got close. The diagonal stroke on the N looks awfully fat (especially after recently acquiring a vintage "Back off, man" bumper sticker. I think I modified Friz Quadrata to get there.

If anyone comes across other vintage type specimens, let me know. I can trace them and try to make a font set to put online. I'm the same pedantic prick that hates seeing the bad version of the logo floating around, so I've tried to upload the correct version wherever I can. I'd be happy to do something similar here -- though I have to think the marketing collateral for the upcoming movie will create more opportunities to see the font in full.

mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer*, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:00 pm More
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1187063892314210304

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1187100550044667904

I suppose a good example would be Issue #8 from Volume 1 of the ongoing. The others were in it, but it was predominately an Egon story. This could be interesting to see them fill in more points like what they did with where Winston was during the Scoleri Brothers battle in the 2017 annual. Maybe with a hypothetical Winston story set during 1984, we could see what he meant by seeing shit that turns you white. lol.

It could kinda neat if they expand some of the busts in the montage like Egon walking out of the building saying he got it. Or reveal how they initially trapped the Zombie Taxi Driver or Subway Ghost. Or totally new stories are welcome.

Like zeta, I'm glad Tom was not fibbing and this next one is a non-crossover. And no AU Ghostbusters and no inter-franchise crossovers. I don't hate them but it felt it was time to head back to basics. Just busts. Like the 35th Anniversary one-shot. I think I'm gonna eat these stories up. I guess the only downside is the Ghostbusters' expanded support staff's absence will just have to be a little longer, heh heh.
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:47 am Though I am cringing at that incorrect title font popping up again.
I'm kinda lost. Is there some sort of history of the wrong font being used? (you're talking about the design of "Year One" right?)
@ *referring to bold*

If we have to wait a little longer for this, then I don't mind the wait.

I agree though that we are starving for more old fashioned ghostbuster stories in the prime world so GB Year One is giving us just that and there's a bit of lore to be explored there. ^_^
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By Kingpin
groschopf wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 7:32 pmI can trace them and try to make a font set to put online.
I've actually got a font that's in a "almost ready to go online" stage that I'd been working on since about May or so, I'd put it on hold pending any revisions based on new material to come out from next year's movie. A large chunk of the missing characters were inspired by the somewhat tweaked ones which appeared in the 3D title straps for the 2016 movie, which was based on the original Ghostbusters font, but with softened serifs.
robbritton, Alphagaia, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
While I’m super excited for Year One, I am quietly hoping it isn’t the beginning of a DC style overwrite of the existing IDW continuity. I like that continuity, and I’d miss all the ancillary characters were we never to see them again. I’d be especially sad to lose Peck and all his character’s development.
Kingpin wrote: October 24th, 2019, 4:17 am I'm beyond confident that's not what's going to happen, IDW have a good thing going with the lore they've established since the series began.
I need to hear that kind of stuff. Y’know, if I had this kind of reassurance on a 24-hour basis, I could have myself convinced by the time Year One comes out.

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]