Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By deadderek
I'm beyond excited for our 1st new Ghostbusters movie in almost 30 years but I REALLY hope people have realistic expectations.

This isn't the Ghostbusters 3 we all waited for. The 4 guys suiting up for another adventure just isn't what we're getting.

The Video Game is the closest we will ever get to that experience.

No doubt this is gonna be a "love letter to the fans" but it's absolutely a passing of the torch.
By pizzarat
deadderek wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:55 pm I'm beyond excited for our 1st new Ghostbusters movie in almost 30 years but I REALLY hope people have realistic expectations.

This isn't the Ghostbusters 3 we all waited for. The 4 guys suiting up for another adventure just isn't what we're getting.

No doubt this is gonna be a "love letter to the fans" but it's absolutely a passing of the torch.
You mean, "isn't *just* what we're getting". I don't even think the video game is that great, but it is good as a soft canon entry. So it looks like we're getting the remaining Busters to get involved with a plot involving the other departed one. That sounds cool to me.
Last edited by pizzarat on November 11th, 2019, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BatDan liked this
By BatDan
Seems like a waisted opportunity if you get the guys back and NOT have them be ghostbusters.

I hope wel at least get two or three sequences of investigations and eliminations from the OGs..to me thats what a “love letter to the fans” would be delivering. Otherwise thats bullshit marketing logline to get us in the seats.

Give me wrinkly grumpy old ghostbusters, the more out of shape and disgruntled, the better, itll only make it funnier
pizzarat, Scum, 2GunsRacing liked this
By tylergfoster
My ideal love letter to the fans is something that values the writers and director of this movie and this movie alone following their creative instincts without trying to check boxes that are impossible to check for everyone simultaneously (my ideal and your ideal are already fundamentally incompatible, and we're just two people along millions of fans).
robbritton, Alphagaia liked this
By pizzarat
BatDan wrote: November 11th, 2019, 8:42 pm Seems like a waisted opportunity if you get the guys back and NOT have them be ghostbusters.

I hope wel at least get two or three sequences of investigations and eliminations from the OGs..to me thats what a “love letter to the fans” would be delivering. Otherwise thats bullshit marketing logline to get us in the seats.

Give me wrinkly grumpy old ghostbusters, the more out of shape and disgruntled, the better, itll only make it funnier
I'm sure that will happen. They can't afford to screw up this movie because it would be the effective end of any future capitalization on this franchise. Consider that they actually have Bill Murray in this movie playing his original character instead of some lame, shoehorned cameo. That's pretty cool.
BatDan, 2GunsRacing liked this
By philmorgan81
deadderek wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:55 pm I'm beyond excited for our 1st new Ghostbusters movie in almost 30 years but I REALLY hope people have realistic expectations.

I am beyond excited too. Believe me I don’t think my expectations for this film are out of the question. We all know we’re not going to get all four of the guys suited up again, sadly that is impossible with the loss of Harold Ramis. ;). However a great story that honors his memory? I don’t think you could ask anything more than that. I am also expecting the new cast to carry the brunt of the story, but am hoping the OGs scenes are sprinkled throughout the movie. The only part I am hoping and expecting for the remaining OGs to actually suit up is to help save the day in the climax. If they are in it more than that then that is just a wonderful surprise. :):):)
By pizzarat
philmorgan81 wrote: November 11th, 2019, 9:05 pm

I am beyond excited too. Believe me I don’t think my expectations for this film are out of the question. We all know we’re not going to get all four of the guys suited up again, sadly that is impossible with the loss of Harold Ramis. ;). However a great story that honors his memory? I don’t think you could ask anything more than that. I am also expecting the new cast to carry the brunt of the story, but am hoping the OGs scenes are sprinkled throughout the movie. The only part I am hoping and expecting for the remaining OGs to actually suit up is to help save the day in the climax. If they are in it more than that then that is just a wonderful surprise. :):):)
That's the wonderful part of the movie taking place in the original universe. Those characters and situations are crucial for the new characters to learn from.
BatDan liked this
By BatDan
yeah, going a "CREED" route is what im expecting for the most part.

new characters at the center, with the old cast being important parts throughout the story. I'll be happy with that. it's a good happy medium for purist grumps like me and new audiences/kids.

what im expecting at the least is a Jurassic World ala Jeff Goldblum..we get hyped about the old cast returning, and in the actual movie we have one scene cameos for no purpose other than "hey remember Ray? he was in the original."
By deadderek
If the O.G.'s are 1-2 scene cameos I will riot. I will burn down the Sony lot.

:angryvigo:
By Davideverona
I have zero expectations, I'm just happy we're getting a new Ghostbusters movie set in the original universe.

The passing of the torch has been on the table since 1998 so I have no problems with that.

This is the Ghostbusters 3 we need, with the remaining GBs alive and well. The last GB3 iteration had the Ghostbusters as ghosts possesing Ray's son. I don't think that would have been successful.
tylergfoster liked this
By timeware
As long as the special effects, and I'm not knocking GB 2 are a step up I'm fine with whoever does them. Anyone think that the new trailer will be running along side the Scoob trailer? That movie looks damn amazing. Hopefully they have separate runs when released. I have a feeling Scoob will give Ghostbusters a run for it's money.
BatDan liked this
By BatDan
deadderek wrote: November 11th, 2019, 10:22 pm If the O.G.'s are 1-2 scene cameos I will riot. I will burn down the Sony lot.

Lol!

I mean, i understand its time to introduce new characters and thats fine in terms of advancing the story..i surely hope the OGs are at least heavily featured for important story beats throughout..like rocky in “creed”

If the climax is anything like “back in the saddle” on xgb, ill be a happy camper.

I mean i may be in the minority here but im not a fan of “proton packs” per se , im a fan of.. “the” ghostbusters, id like to see those actors as those classic characters in a new story..its a rarity we got this film at all, so they should treat the classic characters with dignity not as a novelty/gimmick and give them a hefty arc throughout the script.

If i wanna see other people in the suits and packs i can go to any con or watch any fan film. Lol just sayin.
By JonXCTrack
deadderek wrote:If the O.G.'s are 1-2 scene cameos I will riot. I will burn down the Sony lot.

I would imagine that Aykroyd and Hudson get the most screen time of the original cast members. And we know we will see the original proton pack used by the kids on the modified Ecto-1, which I am assuming is done by the kids themselves. (If McKenna Grace and Finn Wolfhard are Egon's descendants, then it's plausible that they're capable of doing so). It would not surprise me at all if the original cast uses newer tech in this film (which is perhaps less cumbersome/heavy), or they have to develop some kind of tech for the climax of this movie.

What I'm hoping for more so than anything with this movie is that it launches a new era for Ghostbusters being relevant. After the first movie, the cartoon became a mega-hit. Ghostbusters 2 was inevitable at that point. I'm hoping that Ghostbusters: Afterlife (or whatever it ends up being called) will give us a new cartoon (Ecto-Force perhaps?), new (good) video games, etc.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:42 am I would imagine that Aykroyd and Hudson get the most screen time of the original cast members. And we know we will see the original proton pack used by the kids on the modified Ecto-1, which I am assuming is done by the kids themselves. (If McKenna Grace and Finn Wolfhard are Egon's descendants, then it's plausible that they're capable of doing so). It would not surprise me at all if the original cast uses newer tech in this film (which is perhaps less cumbersome/heavy), or they have to develop some kind of tech for the climax of this movie.
I'm not usually a nerd about this kind of stuff, but there's no way that the kids switched the Ecto to a suicide door, built that chair rig, and attached a proton pack to it on their own. That had to have been done by the GBs between '89 and whenever they went kaput. Or Ray does it during the movie? Either way, no way the kids did that.
By JonXCTrack
RichRyan1507 wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:42 am I would imagine that Aykroyd and Hudson get the most screen time of the original cast members. And we know we will see the original proton pack used by the kids on the modified Ecto-1, which I am assuming is done by the kids themselves. (If McKenna Grace and Finn Wolfhard are Egon's descendants, then it's plausible that they're capable of doing so). It would not surprise me at all if the original cast uses newer tech in this film (which is perhaps less cumbersome/heavy), or they have to develop some kind of tech for the climax of this movie.
I'm not usually a nerd about this kind of stuff, but there's no way that the kids switched the Ecto to a suicide door, built that chair rig, and attached a proton pack to it on their own. That had to have been done by the GBs between '89 and whenever they went kaput. Or Ray does it during the movie? Either way, no way the kids did that.
I disagree. Finn Wolfhard's character is probably going to be 17 years old or thereabouts, so he'd be physically capable. Moreover, if he's a genius like Egon was, he'd have the intelligence to make those modifications.
By RichRyan1507
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:51 am
RichRyan1507 wrote:
I disagree. Finn Wolfhard's character is probably going to be 17 years old or thereabouts, so he'd be physically capable. Moreover, if he's a genius like Egon was, he'd have the intelligence to make those modifications.
Meh. Agree to disagree.
By JonXCTrack
RichRyan1507 wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:51 am

Meh. Agree to disagree.
Agreed.

I wonder if Jason and Co. lurk on these forums and laugh at all of our rampant speculation.
By groschopf
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 9:25 am I wonder if Jason and Co. lurk on these forums and laugh at all of our rampant speculation.
Almost certainly. Probably not Reitman himself, but someone working for Sony.

They've been very protective of this investment, and keeping an ear open in this community would be a good way to ensure that fans will support it (or to tamp down accurate leaks).
By tylergfoster
timeware wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:00 amAnyone think that the new trailer will be running along side the Scoob trailer? That movie looks damn amazing. Hopefully they have separate runs when released. I have a feeling Scoob will give Ghostbusters a run for it's money.
Well, they're from different studios, so they won't be intentionally linked in any way, but I assume both will be in the general cycle of trailers together.
By SpaceBallz
My theory is
This Post Contains Spoilers
The interview they showed at the beginning of the theatrical re-release had them all sitting in a cave.
pizzarat, Corey91, Scum liked this
By pizzarat
SpaceBallz wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm My theory is
The interview they showed at the beginning of the theatrical re-release had them all sitting in a cave.
That leaked plot is looking pretty solid right now.
By janeb984
pizzarat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm My theory is
That leaked plot is looking pretty solid right now.
Am I the only one not sold on that plot?! It didn't sound all that great to me.
By timeware
JonXCTrack wrote: November 12th, 2019, 9:25 am
RichRyan1507 wrote:
Meh. Agree to disagree.
Agreed.

I wonder if Jason and Co. lurk on these forums and laugh at all of our rampant speculation.
If they have I'd love to see ghostcorps do a combined poll of what gb sites were close on speculative guesses.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]