Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By SpaceBallz
janeb984 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 2:10 pm
pizzarat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm

That leaked plot is looking pretty solid right now.
Am I the only one not sold on that plot?! It didn't sound all that great to me.
I'm just assuming since the set pics showed "Shandor Mining Co." And the interview had the cast sitting in what appeared to be a cave.
By pizzarat
janeb984 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 2:10 pm
pizzarat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm

That leaked plot is looking pretty solid right now.
Am I the only one not sold on that plot?! It didn't sound all that great to me.
I like it for many reasons, but it also creates the path for this to make sense. Ghostbusters, Inc. still exists and there is an overpopulation problem with the franchise containment units (really cool idea that was used in the Hellbent script). This gives a rational idea of how the old crew comes into the story. And for me, if there are multiple franchises, that means there's multiple Ectomobiles (also like Hellbent), and explains why it isn't specifically 1A in the barn.

I think the story with the family and town is going to be really good, but this movie definitely needs that injection of the original universe and characters. The town idea is really cool if the leaked plot is true. Shandor's followers mined for the metal to create the Zuul temple in the Upper West Side, and Egon attempted to solve the overpopulation problem by finding that same material to create a gateway to the ghost world.

I'm wondering if Egon will appear when they find his notes in the barn. That would be a great scene!

The 'Z' photo that Jason Reitman posted on Instagram could refer to the 'Ghostbusterz' franchise that Winston owned in an early draft of the first script. I would love to see this idea come full circle.
robbritton liked this
By JonXCTrack
pizzarat wrote:
janeb984 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 2:10 pm Am I the only one not sold on that plot?! It didn't sound all that great to me.
I like it for many reasons, but it also creates the path for this to make sense. Ghostbusters, Inc. still exists and there is an overpopulation problem with the franchise containment units (really cool idea that was used in the Hellbent script). This gives a rational idea of how the old crew comes into the story. And for me, if there are multiple franchises, that means there's multiple Ectomobiles (also like Hellbent), and explains why it isn't specifically 1A in the barn.

I think the story with the family and town is going to be really good, but this movie definitely needs that injection of the original universe and characters. The town idea is really cool if the leaked plot is true. Shandor's followers mined for the metal to create the Zuul temple in the Upper West Side, and Egon attempted to solve the overpopulation problem by finding that same material to create a gateway to the ghost world.

I'm wondering if Egon will appear when they find his notes in the barn. That would be a great scene!

The 'Z' photo that Jason Reitman posted on Instagram could refer to the 'Ghostbusterz' franchise that Winston owned in an early draft of the first script. I would love to see this idea come full circle.
I liked the Reddit plot, too.

With regard to the "Z" photo that Jason posted on his IG page, a lot of people are assuming its Winston's business card or letterhead. I'm not even sure that is a Z. It's kind of abstract.
By gbmichael
To me the “Z” looks like 2 swatch’s of fabric.
By Kingpin
pizzarat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:16 pmAnd for me, if there are multiple franchises, that means there's multiple Ectomobiles (also like Hellbent), and explains why it isn't specifically 1A in the barn.
And they all decided to buy 1959 Cadillacs to be their Ectomobile? I'm not buying the "Ghostbusters have gone international" plotline, not until I see something official suggesting it. I've been burned too many times by plot leaks (both real and fake) to invest belief as much as some of you guys in the Reddit plot leaks.

It doesn't look like Ecto-1A because it was easier (also read more iconic, also also read more cost effective for the studio) to assemble a couple of replicas of Ecto-1 than assemble a replica of Ecto-1A, and refurbish all the junk on Ecto-1A's roof.

And given what footage of the Wrecto-1s has leaked so far, it'd be dangerous to have something as top heavy as Ecto-1A rushing about as fast as that for the new film, at the very least you'd be at risk of pieces falling off such an overburdened roof rack.
groschopf, moviemaker29, lozbloke and 2 others liked this
By groschopf
The general public wouldn't know the difference between Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A. "But they're so obviously different!"

Yeah. To us.

I've got both cars in Hot large Hot Wheels Elite form displayed on my desk at work, and I've had several co-workers come over and puzzle over why I have two of the same car, only to slowly realize they're different.

As Kingpin pointed out, Ecto-1 is way more iconic, easier to replicate and better for action scenes. I'd expect more of an Easter egg than a reappearance of 1A. Like in the game, where the GB2 sign and car doors were in a storage area. Not hard to imagine the Ecto-1A plate being nailed to a wall in the barn with Wreckto.
Kingpin, robbritton, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By robbritton
groschopf wrote: November 13th, 2019, 6:33 am The general public wouldn't know the difference between Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A. "But they're so obviously different!"

Yeah. To us.

I've got both cars in Hot large Hot Wheels Elite form displayed on my desk at work, and I've had several co-workers come over and puzzle over why I have two of the same car, only to slowly realize they're different.

As Kingpin pointed out, Ecto-1 is way more iconic, easier to replicate and better for action scenes. I'd expect more of an Easter egg than a reappearance of 1A. Like in the game, where the GB2 sign and car doors were in a storage area. Not hard to imagine the Ecto-1A plate being nailed to a wall in the barn with Wreckto.
Also, (although I'm aware that they're likely not in consideration for the actual plot of this film) the game and IDW have steadily rolled the old Ecto back to it's '84 appearance over time, so it works with the wider extended universe, even if that was probably entirely accidental!
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
By timeware
If Ecto's become the fam car I would think the roof rack would be converted to a luggage carrier.
It would be great to see the carrier be thrown into the road during a ghost chase, or pieces of the original roof rack fly off at high speeds.
Imagine Dan playing the sherrif, sipping his morning coffee as the were ready to believe you sign hits his windshield or takes out his car lights. Damn I hope they do something like this.
By philmorgan81
robbritton wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:07 am
groschopf wrote: November 13th, 2019, 6:33 am The general public wouldn't know the difference between Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A. "But they're so obviously different!"

Yeah. To us.

Also, (although I'm aware that they're likely not in consideration for the actual plot of this film) the game and IDW have steadily rolled the old Ecto back to it's '84 appearance over time, so it works with the wider extended universe, even if that was probably entirely accidental!
LOL! That is the same logic I use to justify the cars appearance in this he movie. Nice to know there is another that shares this view. :):):)
robbritton liked this
By groschopf
Speaking of Ecto-1...

Spotted and shared via Jon Dei Goon in the Facebook Ghostbusters Franchises Worldwide page:

"Cinema near my place just set this up!!"

He's over in Malaysia.

(edit: no word yet one whether or not this display is to promote the new film or Sony in general. It's certainly a familiar angle we're seeing the car from for the purposes of the 2020 film, but we'll see what this is all about)
RichRyan1507 liked this
By pizzarat
Kingpin wrote: November 13th, 2019, 4:22 am
pizzarat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:16 pmAnd for me, if there are multiple franchises, that means there's multiple Ectomobiles (also like Hellbent), and explains why it isn't specifically 1A in the barn.
And they all decided to buy 1959 Cadillacs to be their Ectomobile? I'm not buying the "Ghostbusters have gone international" plotline, not until I see something official suggesting it. I've been burned too many times by plot leaks (both real and fake) to invest belief as much as some of you guys in the Reddit plot leaks.

It doesn't look like Ecto-1A because it was easier (also read more iconic, also also read more cost effective for the studio) to assemble a couple of replicas of Ecto-1 than assemble a replica of Ecto-1A, and refurbish all the junk on Ecto-1A's roof.

And given what footage of the Wrecto-1s has leaked so far, it'd be dangerous to have something as top heavy as Ecto-1A rushing about as fast as that for the new film, at the very least you'd be at risk of pieces falling off such an overburdened roof rack.

I never said they would *all* be 1959s. And why would they, anyway? I mean, 1A has a completely different gas-cap location and different bumpers (but that's for another thread). If the company doesn't exist anymore it's going to be an awkward stretch for all the original characters to not only appear, but be involved with the story.

Yeah, using 1 is a nostalgic "icon" (which I think is kind of lame in some ways), but does it really need to go so far as to have (strangely) the plates from 1984 on it? At least they didn't do that in GB II. The nostalgia makes sense as far as making a movie goes, but doesn't really make sense in the universe it's portraying.

The leaked plot has to have some truth to it as it was published before anyone knew anything about the Shandor mining company. If it is true, and the company still exists, there's an easy explanation for 1A not being in the barn.
By groschopf
droidguy1119 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:56 am My recollection was that none of the leaks actually preceded the pictures?
That was my impression as well. People used the vagueness of the Reddit label "1 month ago" to try to fit the alleged script leaks into a window of time a week before photos leaked in August, but Reddit didn't specifically say when it was posted by the time people started to research the claim.

It just feels like a fan fiction someone assembled from what they had seen up to that point. The alleged leak was devoid of specifics like Rudd's job, which Reitman later leaked, or what other characters are involved past the initial family photo we saw.

I consider it a hot reading until the evidence indicates otherwise.
Alphagaia, robbritton, tylergfoster and 1 others liked this
By pizzarat
groschopf wrote: November 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:56 am My recollection was that none of the leaks actually preceded the pictures?
That was my impression as well. People used the vagueness of the Reddit label "1 month ago" to try to fit the alleged script leaks into a window of time a week before photos leaked in August, but Reddit didn't specifically say when it was posted by the time people started to research the claim.

It just feels like a fan fiction someone assembled from what they had seen up to that point. The alleged leak was devoid of specifics like Rudd's job, which Reitman later leaked, or what other characters are involved past the initial family photo we saw.

How would the poster have known about Egon's ghost though?
By ShiftyHenry
This statement is false. I got the dates of the comments a while ago and posted it here. I am nearly certain that 7/18-7/19 predates the mine stuff by a lot.

"The comments referenced above that are leftover were made on July 18th and 19th...just hover over the "2 Months Ago" with your mouse and you'll see the exact date and time."
pizzarat, Coover5 liked this
By pizzarat
ShiftyHenry wrote: November 13th, 2019, 1:22 pm

This statement is false. I got the dates of the comments a while ago and posted it here. I am nearly certain that 7/18-7/19 predates the mine stuff by a lot.

"The comments referenced above that are leftover were made on July 18th and 19th...just hover over the "2 Months Ago" with your mouse and you'll see the exact date and time."
I knew the previous posters were wrong. Thanks! :love:
By groschopf
I didn't see the definitive date post, so that's a miss on my part. Still, given the timeline, it doesn't change much.
ShiftyHenry wrote: November 13th, 2019, 1:22 pm I am nearly certain that 7/18-7/19 predates the mine stuff by a lot.
We know photos had leaked online by August 1st. At most, the Reddit "leas" appeared a week and a half before. But it's also possible that whoever "leaked" that version of the story saw something earlier than everyone else.

It's entirely possible that we just missed it -- like when a clear photo of an extra in the Ecto blaster chair was attached to a local Canadian newspaper article that went undiscovered here for a month.

And my other points still stand -- no specifics that you couldn't glean from leaked images, and nothing involving later leaks -- Rudd's jobs, other characters, hell, the now obvious car chase.

It's rumor until confirmed.
Kingpin liked this
By pizzarat
groschopf wrote: November 13th, 2019, 1:41 pm
pizzarat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm How would the poster have known about Egon's ghost though?
Well, Harold Ramis is dead, so that wasn't much of a leap -- especially when one of the kids looks like she's wearing his glasses in that first photo.
They randomly predicted that Egon would appear as a ghost and also be important to the plot when people were still thinking the barn was Ray's? Come on. You can admit it. :)
By Corey91
A little update on my possible set visit. They are loading out this week from the loading docks and they are shooting "on location" here in LA. It is weird that they wrapped last month but are now starting more shooting in LA, maybe it doesn't include any of the key players?

I did find it interesting that they said "on location" as the only location in LA that came to mind was firehouse 23...
By pizzarat
Corey91 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm A little update on my possible set visit. They are loading out this week from the loading docks and they are shooting "on location" here in LA. It is weird that they wrapped last month but are now starting more shooting in LA, maybe it doesn't include any of the key players?

I did find it interesting that they said "on location" as the only location in LA that came to mind was firehouse 23...
Any other news you can mention?

I'm under the impression that people are referring to a newer plot leak from Reddit, not from the guy who claimed he was asked to work on the script or whatever nonsense he was spewing.
ShiftyHenry liked this
By ShiftyHenry
Corey91 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm A little update on my possible set visit. They are loading out this week from the loading docks and they are shooting "on location" here in LA. It is weird that they wrapped last month but are now starting more shooting in LA, maybe it doesn't include any of the key players?

I've been hoping they secretly refurbished the inside to shoot there. I figure since Jason is leaning into nostalgia enough to dig up old fonts at Columbia...shooting at the same iconic location would be a given....but that place still looks very terrible.

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London