Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I loved this trailer. It hit me with all the right notes and didn't give away the entire plot in the trailer. (An unfortunate Hollywood trend these past few years.)

I can already tell that this movie is bringing back the one thing that ATC failed to deliver. A script. ATC was a fun theater movie, but a lack of script gave it next to no rewatch quality. That is a shame considering the talented cast that they put together.
RichRyan1507, 2GunsRacing, back and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
back wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:09 pm
groschopf wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:38 am Where do we think the family is moving from? Illinois? Washington state?

My mistake, Illinois it is! GOOD EYE!!
And btw all...
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Not sure whats going on with the views though :/
Fair warning regarding the likes?

Remember we had massive downvotes last time and there was claims this was fabricated/enhanced by bots? The same might now happen in reverse, especially if the views don't match.

Hope not, though!
Last edited by Alphagaia on December 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
back, Sav C liked this
I don't have the words for how excited I am. This trailer is perfection!

The tone... the cinematography... the music... the story... this all looks so damn good.

There's finally, truthfully, going to be a Ghostbusters 3 film. And the general public seems to be really enjoying the trailer so far.

That Venkman voicover... the clip of the guys outside of Central Park West... holy hell.
Last edited by Doctor Venkman on December 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tylergfoster
No, it's just that YouTube view counts don't always update properly when something is being viewed a ton all at once. Nothing strange (in the neighborhood).

As a WA resident it doesn't look like a WA plate to me.
Sav C liked this
I think it'd be fun to have some baseless but respectful conjecture in this thread as a time capsule of sorts to see who came the closest to the actual plot based off the the less than 2 minutes of footage we got in the 12/9/19 trailers (Eng/Ger).

We can criticize each others theories but be constructive; disagree but do not denigrate.

I am truly excited to see what comes out of the trailer hype! Be as creative and crazy as possible!

Potential Spoiler warning for the whole thread
Just in case one of us is channeling Jason Reitman at the time.

My contribution:

The kids aren't Spengler's but Stantz's grandkids. This would give us a glimpse of the farm that Ray took the second mortgage out on to get the payment for the firehouse (with a little nudging from Venkman). If they wanted to incorporate the IDW run they could use Jenny Moran as a way to explain the blonde mother of the grandkids. If Ray went back to running the bookstore after the ghosts subsided and Egon went back to private sector I think it would make more sense for Ray's family to experience hardship and need to return a family home. Ray is more likely the type of eccentric to build a secret lab with a FIREMAN'S POLE as the entryway in his advanced age as well as squirrel away the Ecto-1.

The Shandor mine is a re-imagining of Ivo Shandor's legacy from GB:TVG where you can have the materials for the alloys used in Dana's building being sourced from that location with some Gozer worship tossed in. Old occultist tools and relics left behind acted as a backdoor that took time to manifest from Gozer's plane.

Spengler and Stantz are dead leaving Venkman and Zeddemore as the old reluctant guards who drifted apart after Ray's passing while waiting for the third event that never came. They are much too old to be of any good in the field but maybe these kids will prove all hope is not lost. Ray will get screen time with vlogs he kept prior to his passing. Rudd's character becomes a new GB after being possessed by a Terror Dog a la Louis Tully since he is the only one old enough along with Ray's daughter (maybe). The kids become a Scooby Doo like group with the white ghost eventually being revealed as benign or even trained by Ray to be a guard dog (this generation's Slimer). This sets up another movie with Rudd's character as part of a new team with the kids being a version of the Jr Ghostbusters from RGB until they are old enough to be trusted with a full kit.

Jr GBs get a subscription service show (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.) and tease a crossover with the ATC team to better fold them into the canon going forward.

Bias disclosure: I much prefer the IDW run of the comics regarding continuity after GB2. As much as I enjoyed the game I feel like it was the game the fans wanted (and deserved) but didn't create a solid path forward for more stories since it hit the same story beats for nostalgic purposes primarily. Storytelling has become more proficient in recent years when it comes to evoking a sense of nostalgia without literally throwing blatant imagery and callbacks at the viewer, I am hoping this follows or advances that trend.
By Adub794
SSJmole wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:45 am

While I don’t disagree with you, all I was saying that they probably aren’t fans of the film or the franchise in the first place. The woman reboot was just a vehicle for them to push anti feminism hate speech. This type of behavior is an issue in any capacity
They probably were.

Hell this thread look how nan thumbs down are given to saying it's wrong and they shouldn't have treated a girl in my family that way.
Thumbs down like they disagree with it wrong.

All it did was shine a spotlight on it
Yeah I chuckled at the thumbs down. Can’t see who it was from my phone but also, who cares. They are certainly the minority here. Everyone has opinions, they’re free to like or dislike. I personally wasn’t a fan of that film, but not because of the cast.
I think it’s important to hear your comments (or your family members experience). If only one person became aware of that issue, that’s a step in the right direction. I only hope you (or your family member) realize that it’s not the feelings most people and you give this franchise a chance. With support, I also hope to see more content from ghostbusters for my daughter to have as she grows up
By RichRyan1507
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:36 pm

They probably were.

Hell this thread look how nan thumbs down are given to saying it's wrong and they shouldn't have treated a girl in my family that way.

Yeah I chuckled at the thumbs down. Can’t see who it was from my phone but also, who cares. They are certainly the minority here. Everyone has opinions, they’re free to like or dislike. I personally wasn’t a fan of that film, but not because of the cast.
I think it’s important to hear your comments (or your family members experience). If only one person became aware of that issue, that’s a step in the right direction. I only hope you (or your family member) realize that it’s not the feelings most people and you give this franchise a chance. With support, I also hope to see more content from ghostbusters for my daughter to have as she grows up
Actually, I think people just want to talk about this movie and are tired of hearing about ATC. That's probably why it was voted down.
2GunsRacing, timeware, Wiggyof9 and 3 others liked this
You do know that Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver are all going to be in this, right? Also, the two kids are the grandchildren of Spengler. That's pretty much implied in the trailer. Paul Rudd/Mr. Grooberman: "Who are you?" shows Spengler patch on his uniforms.
SpaceBallz, infinacy liked this
By Adub794
Another thing I noticed is that the barn has a caved in roof. I’m speculating here but, could that be due to a containment unit failure? Assuming there’s a containment unit in there of course.
Sav C liked this
910dohead wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:42 pm You do know that Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver are all going to be in this, right? Also, the two kids are the grandchildren of Spengler. That's pretty much implied in the trailer. Paul Rudd/Mr. Grooberman: "Who are you?" shows Spengler patch on his uniforms.

Hi, I know about the returning cast but omitted some of them from my wild ramblings since I personally couldn't think of a role for all of them story-wise.

Also, trailers don't always tell the truth nowadays. I feel like it would be an easy misdirect by making the kids have dark hair and one wear round glasses like Egon. Seems a bit on the nose to me.

The basis for my theory is the kids are Stantz descendants but with their father's last name and the farm is the one referenced in GB1.

All of that aside I am interested in what you think will happen based off of the trailer 910dohead! Keep the thread going!
By Coover5
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:00 pm Another thing I noticed is that the barn has a caved in roof. I’m speculating here but, could that be due to a containment unit failure? Assuming there’s a containment unit in there of course.
There was speculation of that a while back but I saw it as a typical barn collapse like you see here https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Roo ... Forces.php
Adub794, Sav C liked this
No farm was mentioned in GB, only that Ray's parents left him the house he was born in.
PETER
You're never going to regret this, Ray!

RAY
My parents left me that house! I was born there!

PETER
You're not going to lose the house. Everybody has three mortgages nowadays.
It would be weird to me that Ray wouldn't recognize the name Shandor if there was a mine in the same town the house he owns is in.

I think Egon bought the house to be close to and study the Shandor mine. Why the gear is all abandoned and Ray isn't there to look after it, I don't know. It makes to sense to me that Peter and Winston moved on to other things.

I'm wondering how they know Egon died.. did he just disappear? Did he crossover to another dimension? Did Ray go after him and that's why the gear is abandoned? We don't know enough.. I'm excited to find out.
Talyn liked this
By SSJmole
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:36 pm

They probably were.

some do , she doesn't. She doesn't have anything to do with it now , even asked if you want to play the remastered game on switch and she said "no it's not for me" , I remember when she was really small talking going to bed and how she loved her Slimer plushie. Sadly the damage is permanent I think.
By SSJmole
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:00 pm Another thing I noticed is that the barn has a caved in roof. I’m speculating here but, could that be due to a containment unit failure? Assuming there’s a containment unit in there of course.
Oh please say to there will be a big CGI sky beam! It's not a movie about a CGI sky beam!
Adub794 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:45 am

While I don’t disagree with you, all I was saying that they probably aren’t fans of the film or the franchise in the first place. The woman reboot was just a vehicle for them to push anti feminism hate speech. This type of behavior is an issue in any capacity
They probably were.

I can't find the "dislike" you're referring to, but keep in mind that they could either a) be disagreeing with something else in the post or b) be saying that the behavior was bad and they don't agree with it.

I highly doubt that anyone here would suggest that it wasn't wrong for your family member to be treated that way.
Commander_Jim liked this
By Ghost9791
Loved the trailer, can't wait to see more. I discovered this site today and have not yet had time to go through everything, but I have some theories about the movie,

So much info in my brain sorry if it's be brought up already,
Shandor Mines (est 1927) Brief glimpse in the trailer looks to be linked back to the original architect of Dana Barrett's building from 1984, the building constructed from "materials" NASA used to identify dead pulsars in space and was used in the first movie to "pull in and channel psychic turbulence". Shandor's cult was established in 1920, 100 years before this movie is based.
Was Egon investigating this and knew this was coming and bought the farm house in preparation of a possible return of Gozer?
So the earthquakes must possibly be linked to the materials in the mines that are pulling/channeling psychic turbulence to the point that it has been building up to the 100 year anniversary of the Shandor cult's creation, seem like 2020 is of some meaning and would be weird if the 100 years form the "Gozer" cult meant nothing.

Am I way of base here or just high on my childhood nostalgia thats kicking into overdrive.
By Adub794
Coover5 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:11 pm
There was speculation of that a while back but I saw it as a typical barn collapse like you see here https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Roo ... Forces.php
Valid. The speculation was fueled by the containment unit shutdown in GB1 causing the coming of gozer. Which (seemingly) is what’s happening again with the Shandor mining co. references and the terror dog sighting
I think it's Egon's Family, the kids look too much like him. The Farm house mentioned in GB1 is thrown me, yes Ray had a farm house but your right I think it's weird that he never would have connected the dots the the "Shandors Mine" after the events of the first film.

Maybe Egon found this mine and was studying it so he bought the farm house to be close by just in cast Gozer made a return on the 100th anniversary of the cult's creation in 1920, or this could just be a happy coinsurance.
GBfan77 liked this
Marcus B wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:17 pm No farm was mentioned in GB, only that Ray's parents left him the house he was born in.
PETER
You're never going to regret this, Ray!

RAY
My parents left me that house! I was born there!

PETER
You're not going to lose the house. Everybody has three mortgages nowadays.
It would be weird to me that Ray wouldn't recognize the name Shandor if there was a mine in the same town the house he owns is in.

I think Egon bought the house to be close to and study the Shandor mine. Why the gear is all abandoned and Ray isn't there to look after it, I don't know. It makes to sense to me that Peter and Winston moved on to other things.

I'm wondering how they know Egon died.. did he just disappear? Did he crossover to another dimension? Did Ray go after him and that's why the gear is abandoned? We don't know enough.. I'm excited to find out.

You are absolutely right! I guess subconsciously I would have liked for it to have been a farm or hoped the barn was part of the "house" :sigh:

I like the idea of Egon and/or Ray crossing over, just unsure how to navigate the characters death while treading lightly around Ramis's actual passing.

With that in mind I guess it makes sense for both Spengler and Stantz to move out there chasing Shandor's legacy since I still cant imagine a scenario where Egon tosses in the fireman's pole in that lab on his own.
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really didn't like the "call it karma" callback. I'll wait to see it in the context of the film, if it makes the final cut, but it feels too self-aware and fan service-y to have Venkman repeat a line, with exactly the same delivery, that he probably would've forgotten about by breakfast the next morning when he said it back in 1984.

Indeed that's the general thing that worries me about this film, which otherwise looks amazing, is the amount of fan service that might get crammed in where it doesn't belong. The symmetrical book stacking in the trailer is another thing which, although possibly out of context, rubs me the wrong way. Unless there's a supernatural cause behind it, I don't want any "Easter eggs" like that, because they just take you out of the movie.
pizzarat, RichRyan1507, SSJmole and 1 others liked this
By Coover5
WorldofthePsychic wrote: December 9th, 2019, 2:00 pm I would love to see some creepy operating rooms in the basement floors of the Shandor Mining facility. That piece of Shandor's back story wasn't even touched in the video game.
But you need a nurse willing to help a twisted doctor doing twisted surgeries. I suggest this nurse from the House on Haunted Hill remake

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
This Post Contains Spoilers
Last edited by Coover5 on December 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]